Huawei phones any good?

EH11_2NL

My phone is on it's way out and I've been a Samsung man for a while. Just wondered if Huawei are any good. I don't want iPhone either.

I've had a Mate 20 Lite for the last year and can't fault it.

I went from Samsung last upgrade and have no regrets.

My wife has an iPhone and she has had problems where my Huawei has been trouble free.

I will stick with them next upgrade as this phone has been superb even with all the negative news stories and the wee guy watching what I do from the dual screen cameras🕵️

Was there not some thing that they wont get any more android updates because no one trusts them and thinks the Chinese government are using them for nefarious purposes?

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Was there not some thing that they wont get any more android updates because no one trusts them and thinks the Chinese government are using them for nefarious purposes?

Think that only applied to ones in the USA & only for new models.

jack D and coke

It’s been threatened for a while. Whether it happens or not is another matter. 
They got an extension just recently and it’ll only on newer models if a ban comes into place I think too....could be wrong there tho don’t take my word for that. 
Cracking phones though. 

I have one of their cheaper phones, as that's all I need.

Honor A6, PAYG, can't fault it, never had any bother from it and battery life is great, it does everything I need it to do.

2 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

I've had a Mate 20 Lite for the last year and can't fault it.

I went from Samsung last upgrade and have no regrets.

My wife has an iPhone and she has had problems where my Huawei has been trouble free.

I will stick with them next upgrade as this phone has been superb even with all the negative news stories and the wee guy watching what I do from the dual screen cameras🕵️

Looks pretty good value for money. Samsung phones always seem to be expensive, even older models.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Think that only applied to ones in the USA & only for new models.

no, they won’t be using android full stop.. 

12 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

The specs look very good. But I wouldn't trust anything running Googles software or Chinese hardware frankly.

Would you trust Apple? Or Amazon? Or Facebook?!

The Hogfather
Just now, Craig_ said:

Would you trust Apple? Or Amazon? Or Facebook?!

Amazon? No. Facebook? No. Apple? Yes.

I've had plenty insight into how much data Apple gather and what they do with that. And I trust them a hell of a lot more than the likes of Google, Facebook or Amazon.

I have a two year old p10 model, it's currently worth £7 on the buyback sites. So there is no resale value for the end of your contract. 

Phone has been ok, no better than that. Major problems with the Bluetooth. Camera is pretty good. Hotspot didn't work for about 18 months. 

A friend of mine has a Huawei, couldn’t tell you which model, but the camera is ridiculous.. it can zoom in on things like no phone I’ve seen before. Borderline creepy if you ask me! 

Just don't needlessly spend a fortune on a phone. I broke mine recently and the Motorola G7 Power that I replaced it with for £160 does the same job for me that a £500 phone would do. With a monstrous battery that even I can't seem to kill in a day. 

P20 Pro is great but not that much cheaper than the top Samsung at the time I think. 

The fact that the Chinese government is listening to everything I do is a small price to pay. 

Got a Huawei Mate 10 Pro almost 2 years ago and it's due for upgrade in January - I get a new phone every 2nd year but I'm not upgrading this year, happy with the performance of the one I have - Camera is amazing, screen is really sharp, battery life is really good considering its almost 2 years old (I come home from work at 6pm with over 60% battery) can't fault the phone for anything. 

Look at the Xiaomi phones. Also Chinese but without the Huawei politics.

I've got a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite running stock android (same 'pure' android they put in the Google Pixel). Phone cost £160. Bargain.

P20 Pro is probably the best phone I've ever owned. 

If the Chinese want to read kickback and hear Mrs Homme talk non ****ing stop every minute of the day they can be my guest. 

Samuel Camazzola

I've had the P20 Pro for 18 months and had no issues. 

Best battery life I've had on a phone, volume of storage space is huge and the camera quality is immense. 

The P30 Pro is on the market now and I can only imagine its features are even better. 

9 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I've got a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite running stock android (same 'pure' android they put in the Google Pixel). Phone cost £160. Bargain.

Good shout. It was a pocophone F1 that I just banjoed and it never let me down.

15 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

I've had plenty insight into how much data Apple gather and what they do with that. And I trust them a hell of a lot more than the likes of Google, Facebook or Amazon.

I guess they use all the data they collect for the greater good of mankind, unlike all the other nasty companies that collect similar data.

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I guess they use all the data they collect for the greater good of mankind, unlike all the other nasty companies that collect similar data.

Have a look at Apples privacy page and judge for yourself how much data they gather. Also worth noting that you don’t ever have to check a box asking them not to sell your information to a marketing partner. 

It’s also worth reading up on how they reacted to the FBI asking them to create a back door into the iOS software to break into the San Bernardino terrorists iPhone. 

12 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

yep, i have a redmi note 4 had it for 18 months and it does everything i need it to. got it from aliexpress after seeing a thread on here

15 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

You do know that most Apple products are made in China?

The Hogfather
6 minutes ago, Dunks said:

You do know that most Apple products are made in China?

Yup. But, again, I have a great deal of insight into how interested Apple are in my day-to-day life and their outlook on data mining suits me down to the ground. 

Just now, Nunya Business said:

Yup. But, again, I have a great deal of insight into how interested Apple are in my day-to-day life and their outlook on data mining suits me down to the ground. 

Out of interest what's your thoughts on ten cent and your data?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/14/20913680/apple-tencent-privacy-controversy-safe-browsing-blacklist-explainer

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is that report meant to show me the error of my ways and that Apple are selling my data to the Chinese? Because it really doesn’t. 

Just now, Nunya Business said:

Is that report meant to show me the error of my ways and that Apple are selling my data to the Chinese? Because it really doesn’t. 

Mate, I asked what your thoughts were, anything else is what you imagine I meant.

The Hogfather
Just now, Smithee said:

Mate, I asked what your thoughts were, anything else is what you imagine I meant.

Apologies. It seems everyone on here is trying to catch everyone out anytime they post an opinion on anything. 

That report strikes me as a sensationalist headline with little content to back up the title. Yes, Apple works with Tencent, but only within mainland China due to the restrictions on Google. 

I still trust that my data is safer in their hands (not that they’re even really collecting it), than the likes of Facebook or Google. 

1 minute ago, Nunya Business said:

Apologies. It seems everyone on here is trying to catch everyone out anytime they post an opinion on anything. 

That report strikes me as a sensationalist headline with little content to back up the title. Yes, Apple works with Tencent, but only within mainland China due to the restrictions on Google. 

I still trust that my data is safer in their hands (not that they’re even really collecting it), than the likes of Facebook or Google. 

:thumbsup:

It was quite an interesting read, I thought the same at first but it goes into more detail about how your IP address can be recorded.

At the end of the day though, you can minimise risk but these companies already know you better than you know yourself, you just have to go with which ones you're comfortable with.

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

:thumbsup:

It was quite an interesting read, I thought the same at first but it goes into more detail about how your IP address can be recorded.

At the end of the day though, you can minimise risk but these companies already know you better than you know yourself, you just have to go with which ones you're comfortable with.

I suppose a lot of it comes down to social responsibility too. And Apple definitely are one of the more socially responsible companies out there. 

For me, there's a huge difference between a company actively trying to get a competitive advantage through the use of consumer data and a communist state potentially using it for espionage against the West...

I've got a pixel 3. It's the best phone I've had. Android works seamlessly on it. The camera is good.

Battery isn't the best but it charges fast and the cable has never broken.

My next phone will also be a Pixel.

20 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Good shout. It was a pocophone F1 that I just banjoed and it never let me down.

I took your advice last year.

Very pleased with it.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I took your advice last year.

Very pleased with it.

I almost got another one but I was too tight 🤣

AlphonseCapone
On 21/11/2019 at 17:41, Ray Gin said:

Love my P20 Pro.

Same. Best phones I've had have been Huawei.

On 21/11/2019 at 20:02, Nunya Business said:

The specs look very good. But I wouldn't trust anything running Googles software or Chinese hardware frankly.

Mate you can't trust any of these companies. You might think Apple are better than Google, and you might be right, but you can't trust any of them. The only way to be properly safe is to abandon technology and most folk won't do that obviously. We're all giving up a ridiculous amount of data and regardless of company policy, it takes one breach for that data to be used nefariously.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Same. Best phones I've had have been Huawei.

Mate you can't trust any of these companies. You might think Apple are better than Google, and you might be right, but you can't trust any of them. The only way to be properly safe is to abandon technology and most folk won't do that obviously. We're all giving up a ridiculous amount of data and regardless of company policy, it takes one breach for that data to be used nefariously.

Folks getting worked up about companies spying/collecting data on them, well they can't be very good at this spying/collecting data business if everybody knows they are spying/collecting data on them, it's the ones that you don't know about that you need to worry about, but then in saying that if you don't know about them then how can you get worried about then.

Let them spy and collect data about me all they like, they'll soon get bored with me and move onto someone/something far more interesting.

Got a p30 lite in May after years of Samsung. Like said previously was unsure, but it's a great phone. 48mp camera is excellent. Android pie os as well. Got huawei freelace earbuds as well for free as part of deal. They're also excellent.