Yesterday's Tomorrow's World

Maroon Sailor

Mac_fae_Gillie

Imagine back in 1979 the word "digital" meant nothing to most folks.. And holy crap a dial phone they were so annoying had to hold them still as you dial or risk misdialling and starting over, good old days.

Maroon Sailor

Touchscreen thought about in 1991 along with HD television and widescreen television.

Got some pretty clever people rolling out these products which we all take for granted now.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

I thought by 2019 the skateboard would have been one of those things consigned to the antiques fairs but I think I still see more of them around than the hoverboards that haven't really taking off like I thought they would have.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Imagine back in 1979 the word "digital" meant nothing to most folks.. And holy crap a dial phone they were so annoying had to hold them still as you dial or risk misdialling and starting over, good old days.

Never understood why the 0 had the longest turn considering the dial codes started with that number or the 9 for emergency calls.

Having said that was not a fan of the push button phones

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Never understood why the 0 had the longest turn considering the dial codes started with that number or the 9 for emergency calls.

Having said that was not a fan of the push button phones

They were mechanical, the distance the dial travelled dictated how many clicks it sent. 1 sent 1 click, 2 sent 2 clicks - theres no way to register that you've sent 0 clicks so 0 had to be represented by 10 clicks.

My granny had a lock on her dial, it was useless though as you could tap out the phone number on the hang up buttons.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

They were mechanical, the distance the dial travelled dictated how many clicks it sent. 1 sent 1 click, 2 sent 2 clicks - theres no way to register that you've sent 0 clicks so 0 had to be represented by 10 clicks.

Makes sense now

Always liked the sound of the dial when it turned for some reason

30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Touchscreen thought about in 1991 along with HD television and widescreen television.

Got some pretty clever people rolling out these products which we all take for granted now.

I mind trying a touch screen for the first time at Glasgow Garden Festival, which the internet informs me was in 1988!

I was one blown away kid, even though it wasn't that accurate.

36 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I thought by 2019 the skateboard would have been one of those things consigned to the antiques fairs but I think I still see more of them around than the hoverboards that haven't really taking off like I thought they would have.

I see what you did there, even if you misspelled it ....

:kirklol:

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

My granny had a lock on her dial, it was useless though as you could tap out the phone number on the hang up buttons.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Makes sense now

Always liked the sound of the dial when it turned for some reason

You guys were luckier than me. I remember the threat of phoning the home to come and get me!

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

And how many years were they in development before they were rolled out, probably 10-15-20 years and the rest, from someone having a vague idea to a drawing on a piece of paper to actually having the physical item in the shops.

Салатные палочки

We had a rotary phone up until about 1994.  Was an absolute ******* as we couldn't phone the Going Live! competitions as you always needed a touch tone phone.  

Was replaced in 1994 with a lovely peach coloured touch tone from the BT shop in Buchanan Street.  

Maroon Sailor
11 hours ago, Dunks said:

I see what you did there, even if you misspelled it ....

:kirklol:

Taken !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

This was the first push button phone I remember in the workplace 

1ac1de05373cf7ab6ab0fd27be49e95b.jpg.40d2ae65d638e6c1071928080a3bab20.jpg

We had one of those as our house phone.

15 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Showed my lad that last night, he's 12. Could not believe it. He thought it was a wind up.

Салатные палочки
57 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The Trimphone!

63B9CA0E-E183-4EA4-9049-9BB8194EC99B.jpeg

That was our rotary phone, except in avocado.  

You could write your own number on the wee disc :laugh:

Edited by Salad Fingers

39 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

That was our rotary phone, except in avocado.  

You could write your own number on the wee disc :laugh:

That's right! I'd forgotten all about that.  

It was our first phone when I was really wee.  

Had this phone but in navy blue

482589376_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.9e9333bdf6ecfedb0fdc7c9ea9a949b5.jpg

Our first phone no 0506 711

A few years later it became six numbers.

A good few years later they added a 1 into the area code

Our phone was the one in the photo, but GREEN

WTF was my dad thinking about. (might have took what you got)

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Our first phone no 0506 711

A few years later it became six numbers.

A good few years later they added a 1 into the area code

Our phone was the one in the photo, but GREEN

WTF was my dad thinking about. (might have took what you got)

That's right about the codes

031 went to 0131

My first real fieldwork (counting caribou) was spent in central Baffin Island, on the Great Plains of the Koudjuak, in 2000 I think it was - we were working with a federal agency who were verifying vegetation from satellite images.  Their lead had a satellite phone, which consisted of a medium-sized suit case that opened to reveal a small satellite dish that you had to maneuver to get a signal.  Thought it pretty cool james bond type stuff.

Anyone remember the very last name in the Edinburgh phone book, which for years was something like Toeder Zwcyzyn? I used to check the new book every year to make sure it was still him! I mentioned this at school once and a mate of mine knew the name and claimed he used to like phoning him up every now and then and asking for random people. I didn't believe him so when he was round at mine once he just phoned the poor sod up and said "Hello can I speak to Albert please"!

Mac_fae_Gillie
8 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Anyone remember the very last name in the Edinburgh phone book, which for years was something like Toeder Zwcyzyn? I used to check the new book every year to make sure it was still him! I mentioned this at school once and a mate of mine knew the name and claimed he used to like phoning him up every now and then and asking for random people. I didn't believe him so when he was round at mine once he just phoned the poor sod up and said "Hello can I speak to Albert please"!

Thx to internet, not looked at a phone book or yellow pages for over 15yrs. Still get given a free new one every year but never use.

Салатные палочки
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

031 went to 0131

When would that have been?  Early 90's?  I still remember our number starting with 041 then 0141.  

It's crazy but I still remember being pretty amazed, as a young lad at the change of phone boxes from the old red to the more modern BT ones.  

jack D and coke
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

031 went to 0131

All the mobiles changed same time too. They all added 07. My first mobile number was 0410367663 on Cellnet and I had 15 mins of calls per month with 20 texts, how mental does that sound now! 

Nobody would ever phone each other as it cost feckin bombs and never from a landline :lol: 

Still remember the excitement of somebody actually phoning it :lol: 

Samuel Camazzola
15 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

031 went to 0131

Before the regional dialling codes changed, there was a clothes shop up by South Bridge called 031.😄

• 2 years later...

Who was the wee inventer that was always on the telly back in the day? Cannae mind his name. Trevor? Ba..

I'll get it.

Edited by ri Alban

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Who was the wee inventer that was always on the telly back in the day? Cannae mind his name. Trevor? Ba..

I'll get it.

Trevor Baylis. Invented the clockwork radio. 

19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'll get it.

Magnus Pike  ? 

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Magnus Pike  ? 

That's a blast from the past

He was as mad as a box of frogs

20220206_145624.jpg

29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Trevor Baylis. Invented the clockwork radio. 

That's the man.

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Magnus Pike  ? 

I remember all squeezing into a phone box and listening to dial a disc 160 was the number I think, listening to the same record on loop for a few minutes.

27 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's a blast from the past

He was as mad as a box of frogs

20220206_145624.jpg

He certainly was 😎😂

If 1992 me was to have a shot of my Quest 2 VR headset, checking the internet on a mobile phone, and drawing on a digital screen using a graphics tablet, my early-teenage mind would have been absolutely blown to pieces. Technology is awesome.

WorldChampions1902

Remember the hairdresser that invented a heat resistant material that would have been perfect for the tiles covering the nose of the space shuttle. He appeared on Tomorrows World but refused to sell his idea and died years later. Nobody knew his secret recipe which died with him.

Bonkers. He could have been a multi-millionaire.

2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Remember the hairdresser that invented a heat resistant material that would have been perfect for the tiles covering the nose of the space shuttle. He appeared on Tomorrows World but refused to sell his idea and died years later. Nobody knew his secret recipe which died with him.

Bonkers. He could have been a multi-millionaire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlite#:~:text=It was invented by British,and technology show Tomorrow's World.

late 80's When working in ferranti drawing office, would often design printed circuit boards.

The engineer would specify the size , components and Circuit diagram and we would draw it 4x size on a drawing board.

It was great fun, especially wen they became multi-layer boards, up to 7 layers thick.

Tomorrows World would then show our job done on a computer, within a couple of years, we were using this technology (SCICARDS).

It was fantastic, absolutely loved that job.

I was about 14 or 15 in the early nineties and wonder what me and my mates would think about modern smartphones with immediate access to all the music video and information you need via tiny wireless earphones. 

we were amazed with a fancy Walkman that could auto reverse a tape and my pals laserdisc player.  It would blow our minds.  The thing is at no point did it seem there was a massive improvement in technology it just crept up on us all