Stew

Crete

500g of DECENT beef from the counter. NOT the packet rubbish. 3 carrots. 1 large white onion. 3 beef stock cubes. Tin of garden peas. Wee drop oil. Salt and peeper. Mixed herbs. Brown meat in oil in a large saucepan and then add enough water to just cover meat. Crumble in 3 stock cubes, stir and bring to boil. Transfer to a large casserole dish and add chopped carrots, peas, chopped onion wee bit salt and pepper and about a teaspoon of mixed Italian herbs. Cover and stick in oven at 180 centigrade for 90/100 minutes or so. Stir after about 1 hr. Take lid off dish with about 25 minutes left to allow sauce to thicken. Put some baby potatoes in a pan and boil them and some broccoli too if you wish. Hey presto! A hearty meal for 4 and you can mop up the gravy with some bread. Easy, cheap, filling. 

24 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

500g of DECENT beef from the counter. NOT the packet rubbish. 3 carrots. 1 large white onion. 3 beef stock cubes. Tin of garden peas. Wee drop oil. Salt and peeper. Mixed herbs. Brown meat in oil in a large saucepan and then add enough water to just cover meat. Crumble in 3 stock cubes, stir and bring to boil. Transfer to a large casserole dish and add chopped carrots, peas, chopped onion wee bit salt and pepper and about a teaspoon of mixed Italian herbs. Cover and stick in oven at 180 centigrade for 90/100 minutes or so. Stir after about 1 hr. Take lid off dish with about 25 minutes left to allow sauce to thicken. Put some baby potatoes in a pan and boil them and some broccoli too if you wish. Hey presto! A hearty meal for 4 and you can mop up the gravy with some bread. Easy, cheap, filling. 

cheers for this. I’ll give it a bash at some point . 👍

Start off by browning whatever meat you wish to use in a frying pan. You can coat it in seasoned flour if you wish but this isn't needed.

Then you want to soften chopped onions and carrots and any other hard veg you are using in a casserole pan in a bit of oil.

When the onions are see-through and the rest of the veg has softened a bit tip the meat back in and add your stock and herbs of choice as well as a generous amount of both salt and pepper.

Simmer until you're ready to eat, a minimum of 45 minutes, adding any softer veg you want to include about 30 mins before you want to eat.

When it comes to potatoes you can either add them to the stew or cook them separately in the form of mash or dauphinoise or any other method.

You can even make your stew into a kind of cottage(or shepherds) pie by covering the stew in mash then browning it under a hot grill or in the oven.

Dumplings should only be added to the stew for the last 20 minutes or so, just placed gently on the top so they only sink in about halfway. That was you get the nice crunchy top, soft middle and gravy-soaked bottom.

Thickeners include: gravy granules, roux(a mix of butter and flour cooked together in a different pan then slowly stirred into the stew), pig's trotters, oxtail or any other gelatinous part of an animal which will release gelatine as it cooks, cornflour and water mix, or just turning up the heat to reduce the stock.

A wee dod of marmite, bovril, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree or even black bean paste or umami paste will add depth of flavour.

5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Get a slow cooker.

Chuck everything in before going to bed.

Come back from work the next day for an amazing stew.

Correct.

Top tip. If your making a beef stew include some pancetta in the stew and fry it off as you’re cooking the onions. Just remember not to add salt as the salt seasoning will come from the pancetta. 
I love a chicken stew at this time of year. I just make an Italian style with lots of garlic, red pepper, mushrooms, and herbs. A little bit of tarragon but just a little nap it so it doesn’t take over. Spuds in at the start of the process. 

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Get a slow cooker.

Chuck everything in before going to bed.

Come back from work the next day for an amazing stew.

Can’t beat a slow cooker, top advice

20 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Is that no a bit "watery"? How do you thicken the stock?

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Nah. Just take the lid off. It works in my house anyway. Never needed to add granules to my stew. Horses for courses I suppose.

1 hour ago, EH11_2NL said:

Nah. Just take the lid off. It works in my house anyway. Never needed to add granules to my stew. Horses for courses I suppose.

Fair do's. Was thinking a bit flour or cornstarch maybe. I'll see how it goes.

15 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Fair do's. Was thinking a bit flour or cornstarch maybe. I'll see how it goes.

Two teaspoons of cornflour mixed in a mug with cold water, just under half the mug will do it. Flour’s a bit trickier as it doesn’t mix in so well and can make the stew a bit grainy. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Two teaspoons of cornflour mixed in a mug with cold water, just under half the mug will do it. Flour’s a bit trickier as it doesn’t mix in so well and can make the stew a bit grainy. 

👍

If you want something truly epic, try making a pot roast with a joint of beef. Much like EH11 describes, but with some topaide/silverside etc. Add some root veg after two hours at 150C and cook for a further hour.

Put some red wine into you ur sauce too for even more richness.

Can't beat a proper oxtail stew. 

Whole bottle of red wine, some robust herbs like rosemary or thyme or even star anise, a few onions and carrots, whack it into a slow cooker after browning the meat in a pan, leave alone for as long as you want.

If you let it cool then it'll set solid. I've been known to slice the leftovers straight from the fridge and have them with a nice salad rather than reheating and melting them back into stew.

11 hours ago, Cade said:

Can't beat a proper oxtail stew. 

Whole bottle of red wine, some robust herbs like rosemary or thyme or even star anise, a few onions and carrots, whack it into a slow cooker after browning the meat in a pan, leave alone for as long as you want.

If you let it cool then it'll set solid. I've been known to slice the leftovers straight from the fridge and have them with a nice salad rather than reheating and melting them back into stew.

👍

19 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Bisto browns, Bisto seasons, Bisto thickens, all in one go.

And add a crushed clove of fresh garlic (that won't thicken it).

23 hours ago, Craig_ said:

If you want something truly epic, try making a pot roast with a joint of beef. Much like EH11 describes, but with some topaide/silverside etc. Add some root veg after two hours at 150C and cook for a further hour.

Put some red wine into you ur sauce too for even more richness.

10 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

Nobody put a bit of red wine in thier stew on here ?

Bunch of wierdos :cornette:

Ahem.

Jambof3tornado
23 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Frozen dumpling are surprisingly good.

Just chuck a few on top of the stew about an hour before serving it.

Correct. Aunt bessies frozen dumplings are great.

Costco stew steak is pretty decent. Plenty colour at the browning stage makes a huge difference.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

oh-you-original.jpg

I know!  :facepalm:

I was drinking at the time I posted that.

That doesn’t of course explain/excuse all the other times I have done similar!