Unwanted lodger in glove compartment

Smack

Opened up my glove compartment the other day where I have a huge stash of McD's napkins. Noticed that a few were torn up into wee bits but assumed it was the kids and thought nothing of it. 

Opened it again today and the situation had escalated, so I grabbed a handful and moved them only to be met by a mouse looking annoyed as I'd obviously woken it up. Don't like wee beasties so I slammed it shut and bolted. 

Googled it and apparently it's not that uncommon but the solutions weren't overly helpful. Setting traps or mothballs seems to be the accepted options. 

Phoned a couple of valet companies to see if they'd be up to the task but got a resounding no. 

So I intend to lay a few humane traps, any recommendations of type and bait would be appreciated. Also if anyone else has had this experience, how did you deal with it? Or if anybody knows a company in West Lothian or this side of Falkirk area who would deal with it can you let me know. 

The car interior is pretty clean and nobody eats in it so it (or they 😥😫) clearly come and go for a scran. 

Just now, Der Kaiser said:

Ram your car into a tree at high speed to kill it on impact. Only way to be sure.......

Not a tree infested with squirrels though....

Extreme and perhaps effective.

highlandjambo3

Careful here.......I also had a mouse nest in my fuse box under the bonnet...... little buggers like chewing on the plastic surrounding your wires so get rid asap before it does some real damage.  my car electric windows are extremely erratic since with up/down/stop etc completely random no matter which way you lift up or push down the switch.  I can live with the error but, it could have been a whole lot worse.

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Careful here.......I also had a mouse nest in my fuse box under the bonnet...... little buggers like chewing on the plastic surrounding your wires so get rid asap before it does some real damage.  my car electric windows are extremely erratic since with up/down/stop etc completely random no matter which way you lift up or push down the switch.  I can live with the error but, it could have been a whole lot worse.

I have a pal who ended up with a £5,000 bill when a pet rodent escaped into the electrics of her car and took the electrical system to bits. 

I'd be fumigating, leaving the cat in there, borrowing a snake, anything to avoid that kind of a bill.

dont use the humane traps, get some of the old school ones and as someone else posted chocolate is the best bait, i have found nutella the best

Just sell the car, contents included. :)

Have you opened the glovie since? If not, you'll probably find it's already dead. Mice are very weak hearted and your original discovery will probably have been enough to frighten it to death. 

An oven glove, maybe two, open the glovie, scoop up whatever you can get a hold of it and throw everything out the open door. If it is still alive it won't survive that. 

The mouse is not surviving this, regardless. 

24 minutes ago, been here before said:

Can you not just torch the car?

Im presuming your insurance is up to date.

This.
Park it in Niddrie to avoid any suspicion. Likely already have been stolen or torched by the time you come back with the petrol and lighter. 

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Chuck a wee bit salt n pepper in the glove box, then give Morgan’s sister in law a call👌

Bye bye car.

7 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Ram your car into a tree at high speed to kill it on impact. Only way to be sure.......

Not a tree infested with squirrels though....

Not very environmentally friendly however.

19 hours ago, martoon said:

Just sell the car, contents included. :)

Have you opened the glovie since? If not, you'll probably find it's already dead. Mice are very weak hearted and your original discovery will probably have been enough to frighten it to death. 

An oven glove, maybe two, open the glovie, scoop up whatever you can get a hold of it and throw everything out the open door. If it is still alive it won't survive that. 

The mouse is not surviving this, regardless. 

Went back in with gloves but it wasn't home. Inspected the car and found droppings in the boot and the back seats. Traps are set, but it gives me the heebie jeebies regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Smack said:

Went back in with gloves but it wasn't home. Inspected the car and found droppings in the boot and the back seats. Traps are set, but it gives me the heebie jeebies regardless. 

Do whatever you can to get rid, bud. As stated by others it could end up costing you money if Jerry starts chewing wires.

If the traps don't work lay down poison. 

2 hours ago, Smack said:

Sounds like it is going to haunt you moving about like that.

Personally I would just give it the car and take the hit. :sadrobbo:

20 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Sounds like it is going to haunt you moving about like that.

Personally I would just give it the car and take the hit. :sadrobbo:

Definitely contemplating complete surrender. If it can defy the traps for a few days it can have the motor. Hoovered the car out so I'll notice any fresh droppings. 

27 minutes ago, Smack said:

Definitely contemplating complete surrender. If it can defy the traps for a few days it can have the motor. Hoovered the car out so I'll notice any fresh droppings. 

:laugh2:

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Put a radio in the car and play loud noise at it. It will bugger off soon enough.

Can I recommend Slayer?

I mean, just in general, life's better with Slayer in it.

been here before
1 hour ago, Smack said:

Why not shite in the car yourself and show it whose boss.

Do that a few times in various places, footwell, glove compartment, boot and I imagine it will soon back down and leave.

Edited by been here before

On 19/11/2019 at 15:39, luckyBatistuta said:

Chuck a wee bit salt n pepper in the glove box, then give Morgan’s sister in law a call👌

21 hours ago, superjack said:

Bye bye car.

19 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:lol: Never thought of that

Mouse, and car, gone in 4 minutes.  

Still hungry.

Janet xx

images-13.jpeg

51 minutes ago, been here before said:

Why not shite in the car yourself and show it whose boss.

Do that a few times in various places, footwell, glove compartment, boot and I imagine it will soon back down and leave.

😂😂