FOH Director Election

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Just received an email confirming that no new candidates have put themselves forward for election to the FOH Board.

The two "retiring" FOH directors, Stuart Wallace and Alastair Bruce will therefore be reappointed subject to motions being passed at the AGM on 17 December. 

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

How often is the FOH elections? Yearly?

There are normally two directors up for re-election each year, with all directors having to face re-election at least every three years.

In the absence of any new candidates standing there will be no election as such and the current incumbents will almost certainly be re-appointed at the AGM.

Edited by Footballfirst

portobellojambo1
15 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Got one as well. No problem with the current incumbents but a bit disappointed that no one has put themselves forward.

It is possibly a bit surprising that no one has put themselves forward, or even been asked by others to put themselves forward given there did appear to be some who were disappointed by the lack of communication from FoH in the lead up to the removal of Craig Levein as manager.

46 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Just received an email confirming that no new candidates have put themselves forward for election to the FOH Board.

The two "retiring" FOH directors, Stuart Wallace and Alastair Bruce will therefore be reappointed subject to motions being passed at the AGM on 17 December. 

Not surprised in the slightest. Why would anyone volunteer for one of those roles given what’s happening and what’s coming ? 

Francis Albert

Topic came up on the Accounts thread. Of course FoH is reliant on candidates to volunteer if there is to be a contested election, which would IMO be healthier.

FoH could do more than just issue a short email saying how to be nominated. I have made several suggestions in meetings and in correspondence

- provide a short CV on the website for all existing Board members (pretty standard stuff for any transparent organisation) so potential candidates can judge their own qualifications in relation to existing board members and whether there is anything new they can bring in terms of experience and skills

- more directly, specify any skills and experience which the Board may be lacking or weak in. An obvious example for an organisation about to take ownership of a football club would be  experience of football in some capacity (other than being a fan)

- explain what the job entails - number and location and timing of meetings, duration of meetings, approximate reading time required for papers, other duties

- publish non confidential parts of board minutes (even board papers?) which would not be unreasonable in any event for a transparent and open membership funded organisation. At the very least publish board agendas so we know what they discuss.

This would at show some real desire and enthusiasm for attracting new faces.

(Ian Murray's book reveals some mixed feelings by FoH founding  members, one in particular,  about new blood and ideas "not invented here")

Edited by Francis Albert

Walter Payton
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

(Ian Murray's book reveals some mixed feelings by FoH founding  members, one in particular,  about new blood and ideas "not invented here")

I've not read Ian's book yet (unfortunately my copy that had been signed by Ian for me got lifted in the pub after the book signing :( ) but I'd hope that "one in particular" doesn't refer to Alex Mackie.

I'm not going to comment on the personality clash between Ian and Alex (and it should be remembered that other people may have different accounts of what went on at the time), however if there was one part of the founding members' original vision for the FoH that hasn't been brought to fruition (obviously in my opinion) it was that the Foundation should make it easy for the common fan to offer up their skills and abilities for the good of Hearts, not just their money. 

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Bring on the Future said:

I've not read Ian's book yet (unfortunately my copy that had been signed by Ian for me got lifted in the pub after the book signing :( ) but I'd hope that "one in particular" doesn't refer to Alex Mackie.

I'm not going to comment on the personality clash between Ian and Alex (and it should be remembered that other people may have different accounts of what went on at the time), however if there was one part of the founding members' original vision for the FoH that hasn't been brought to fruition (obviously in my opinion) it was that the Foundation should make it easy for the common fan to offer up their skills and abilities for the good of Hearts, not just their money. 

I suspect that you will be disappointed on your first point once you read the book.

It is clear from Ian's book that there were tensions between the founding directors and the interim board under Ian Murray.

I've spoken to others about the book and they believe that Ian's account is a watered down version of what actually went on. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I suspect that you will be disappointed on your first point once you read the book.

It is clear from Ian's book that there were tensions between the founding directors and the interim board under Ian Murray.

I've spoken to others about the book and they believe that Ian's account is a watered down version of what actually went on. 

These things always get political. It’s unavoidable.

At some stage soon, FOH need to start outlining the way in which the club is going to be structured post Budge. What will the decision making hierarchy be? We’re starting to get close to crunch time.

I'm not that surprised nobody put themselves forward.  I'm happy paying my money each month, but wouldn't want to put myself into the firing line for supporters grievances when they aren't happy with how the team is playing how money is being spent etc.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

At some stage soon, FOH need to start outlining the way in which the club is going to be structured post Budge. What will the decision making hierarchy be? We’re starting to get close to crunch time.

The governance discussions have been going on for more than two years with an initial proposal put out, consultation and feedback was invited, then a response was given that was voted through with 99% in favour, that gave the FOH Board authority to proceed with drawing up the formal changes required.

We should get a final version of the changes to the Articles of Association to be voted on at the FOH AGM. (needs a 75% vote in favour for the changes to be adopted).

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The Governance arrangements which I believe are due to be approved (and will be approved) at the AGM make it pretty clear. It will be pretty much as it is now with HMFC club board headed by a Chairman/Chief Exec with a minority of two directors from FoH. FoH will be hands off and its only real power will be the ability to vote down the nomination or renomination of club directors at the club AGM using its 75.1% voting rights. The sort of action only usual taken by shareholders in a crisis of some sort. 

Edit As FF says they are already approved. It is basically just administrative implementation at the AGM.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, TurboT said:

I'm not that surprised nobody put themselves forward.  I'm happy paying my money each month, but wouldn't want to put myself into the firing line for supporters grievances when they aren't happy with how the team is playing how money is being spent etc.

FoH have had no control to date on how money has been spent, except in relation to their modest admin costs. Not much will change after onwnership transfer. The club board with only minority FoH  membership will take those decisions and bear the flak.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The Governance arrangements which I believe are due to be approved (and will be approved) at the AGM make it pretty clear. It will be pretty much as it is now with HMFC club board headed by a Chairman/Chief Exec with a minority of two directors from FoH. FoH will be hands off and its only real power will be the ability to vote down the nomination or renomination of club directors at the club AGM using its 75.1% voting rights. The sort of action only usual taken by shareholders in a crisis of some sort. 

One other question then - who will appoint chairman/CEO?

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

One other question then - who will appoint chairman/CEO?

Good question and I may need FF's help again.

The club board subject to confirmation at the club AGM?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

CEO in particular is a crucial appointment. So critical to the overarching management of a club. Wonder who it’ll be 

Footballfirst
26 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The Club Board will appoint the chairman from their own number.

The CEO appointment will again be recommended by a subset of the Club Board (a nominations committee), then approved by the full Board.

Ann Budge herself acknowlwedged at the last AGM that her combined role as majority shareholder, chairman and CEO was not good governance.

39 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

CEO in particular is a crucial appointment. So critical to the overarching management of a club. Wonder who it’ll be 

Leann Dempster.

ABs parting gift.

:)

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Bring on the Future said:

He did refer to Alex Mackie.  I went to school with Alex and he was a highly intelligent but a bit off the wall type of guy.

He deserves huge credit for coming up with the FoH idea however he seems to have taken it as “his ball” as the organisation progressed.

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I've never been to a FoH AGM before. Can any FoH member go? 

Yes.  

The quorum for it to go ahead is 51. It generally doesn't attract too many more, so I'm sure your attendance will be most welcome.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes.  

The quorum for it to go ahead is 51. It generally doesn't attract too many more, so I'm sure your attendance will be most welcome.

51😂😂😂😂😂❤❤❤❤❤