Naismith Scotland captain and injury.

Hood09

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed, money has a lot to do with it but that’s the reality. Excluding the OF our other top league teams would probably be lower half of Championship at best, probably lower. The task of finding a national team with any chance of getting to finals in a regular basis with largely that level of player is a big ask. 

Without the huge amount of money English football gets from Sky England would be a backwater in terms of football. As it was before Sky came along.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGorgie

• Morgan

• Mikey1874

• GinRummy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Thanks for that. Now I kinda know how the jews felt in pre-war Germany. 

Ffs seriously? 

Have a word , drama queen 

1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

Let’s have some stats to back up your view

Just compare the current England and Scotland squads in terms of numbers and quality playing in their top leagues. England’s entire team today are pretty much regulars in the best league in the world. We had one in our team yesterday. 

Just now, OldGorgie said:

Without the huge amount of money English football gets from Sky England would be a backwater in terms of football. As it was before Sky came along.

Didn’t Liverpool, Forrest and Ipswich win European trophies before Sky. They weren’t a backwater before Sky at all.

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed, money has a lot to do with it but that’s the reality. Excluding the OF our other top league teams would probably be lower half of Championship at best, probably lower. The task of finding a national team with any chance of getting to finals in a regular basis with largely that level of player is a big ask. 

Don't exclude the OF from that calculation. There are huge clubs in England who struggle to get above that level.

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

:cornette::facepalm:

2 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Agreed, but it isn’t. And I doubt that the money situation will change significantly in our lifetimes. 
I think the real point in the debate is that Scotland teams until the start of this century over-achieved significantly considering population, funding, facilities etc. 

Just now, Coburg Hearts said:

What a pathetic and deranged comment. Nobody is suggesting you have to wear badges showing you are a unionist, or placing you in a Ghetto or concentration camp. I never cease to be amazed at the absolute drivel that comes from Unionists when they are put on the spot. What next only Kaflicks vote Labour? 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Just compare the current England and Scotland squads in terms of numbers and quality playing in their top leagues. England’s entire team today are pretty much regulars in the best league in the world. We had one in our team yesterday. 

I asked for stats not anecdotes

4 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Did we have Sky in 1966? 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Shankland replaced by Brophy.

Naismith could start v Kazakhstan. Especially if Clarke sees him as a key player. 

I'm sure he does.

3 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I asked for stats not anecdotes

I’m not going to waste my time based on your  other comments. It’s as clear as the nose on your face. Fact - today 11 England starters play regularly in best league in world, only 1 Scotland starter yesterday good enough to play regularly in that league. Says it all in terms of the gulf. 

Edited by soonbe110

2 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

And which league is different. There’s more foreigners in the English leagues than you can shake a stick at but their national team is doing ok because of careful planning and fan support. The problem in Scotland is there are far to many “up to their knees loyalists “.

Could be, but I think the real issue is that kids don’t play football anymore, at least not as many kids as in the past, and as a result the population numbers play out more strongly. The English national team is doing really well because of clubs academies, loan system and the fact that they now have EPL managers that are willing to give young players a chance eg Klopp, Guardiola, Lampard, Emery, Olle,   whereas in the past the Allardyces, etc only wanted to play experienced pro’s 

im not sure what role ‘up to their knees loyalists’ play in the Scottish football demise. 

53 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

We qualified because the pool of players we had to choose from was much better. Think about the mid 80s. For strikers alone we could choose from Nicholas, mccoist, Robbo, Johnston, McClair, Dodds, Archibald (a bit earlier admittedly) and probably more I’ve forgotten about. Our centre halves were genuinely world class (Hansen, Miller, and date I say it CL could have been too) and we had an abundance of talent on the wings, at full back and in midfield. Goram whether you like him or not was world class too. 

All these players, and hundreds more did nothing but kick a ball as kids, as did everyone else. They weren’t coached, they learned the game by themselves by playing it constantly as kids, that’s why we had so many good players for such a small country, there was **** all else to do!

Exactly. We over -achieved. Significantly more world class players than we should have had. Every boy was in the park after school playing football. Today they are practically empty. 

Weakened Offender
40 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Virtually no-one in Scotland speaks anything but English as their first language.

Are you sure about that? 

No but England had home advantage and a dodgy ref and linesman. Remember what Baxter, Law did to them in 67,. What have they done since then.

They got to the World Cup semi final FFS!! 
They have just romped their qualifying group with a +30 odd goal difference. 

3 minutes ago, rick witter said:

They got to the World Cup semi final FFS!! 
They have just romped their qualifying group with a +30 odd goal difference. 

Thinking of backing them to win next years  Euros , they look impressive tbf 

3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Thinking of backing them to win next years  Euros , they look impressive tbf 

I agree I think they are fantastic to watch. Obviously they will come up against better sides but I think the will make at least the semis of the euros and have a great chance of winning it. 

Thankfully there are better teams out there, so I don’t worry about England winning anything. France and Belgium are too good for them.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Their defensive 3rd is dog's dirt. Even their media admit that much. 

Save your money, ramathorne.

True that and the mental side of things always seems to be a problem, Belgium  could be a decent shout @7's 

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Belgium are 7's?

:wow:

With who?

Betway, Bet 888 and Skybet plenty of 13/2 around including my app Wm Hill

Edited by ramrod

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Their defensive 3rd is dog's dirt. Even their media admit that much. 

Save your money, ramathorne.

If they find a defence before next summer they will skoosh  it. 

18 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Hearts over Scotland, all the time, every time. That shouldn’t even be a debate. 

Fairly obvious that the players who get picked from Hearts don’t take that view. 

17 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

I’m just saying that Naismith himself puts country before club and rightly so. A few to**ers may disagree with that but Naismith thinks otherwise.

He doesn't though. Both are intertwined. The club pays the wages, playing for your country brings the icing. Too many people 'overthinking' this.

22 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Hearts over Scotland, all the time, every time. That shouldn’t even be a debate. 

Deary me. As I have previously stated both are intertwined. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

36 minutes ago, Independence said:

Deary me. As I have previously stated both are intertwined. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Because the “ up to their knees lot” are incapable of rational thought.

17 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Anyone who thinks Hearts are more important than Scotland is a bigot? Is that it?

Fairly obvious that the players who get picked from Hearts don’t take that view. 

Judging by the fact Naismith has played 90 minutes twice, plus a decent subs appearance, in the 3 games since Levein left tells me he didn;t think it was worth rushing back to play under that manager anymore.

46 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Are you trying to play the ‘Hearts bigots’ card?

10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Judging by the fact Naismith has played 90 minutes twice, plus a decent subs appearance, in the 3 games since Levein left tells me he didn;t think it was worth rushing back to play under that manager anymore.

90 mins twice in the last 3 games ??

36 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Anyone who thinks Hearts are more important than Scotland is a bigot? Is that it?

Of course it is not.

Got **** all to do with bigotry.

Totally agree, club comes before country 100 per cent.

We pay his wages on a 4 year deal he signed.

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Of course it is not.

Absolutely. Previous poster trying to put us in 'the up to our knees' lot is pathetic.

14 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Of course it is not.

:clap: 

55 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Of course it is not.

You must be up to your knees.....

Couldn't agree more. Club is more important than country now.

38 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

You and the others are wrong. Even the players don’t say that. Read what the players and even the club say. As for those who think there isn’t an issue with “the up to their knees brigade” infesting Tynecastle and JKB with their bile, they either don’t go to games or are deaf.

Absolute Scenes

Side note on Naismith: 

just realised he’s hit 20 goals in 48 games, the same number Lafferty had, yet has been injured for quite a bit of time

just shows how important he is and just how good he is

2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Of course it is not.

I reluctantly agree with your club v country standpoint but that is due to my utter contempt for the SFA and the Glasgow establishment.

Were it not for that, I would wish it was much more like rugby in NZ where no one disputes that the All Blacks are the pinnacle.

As things stand, club before country for me every day of the week.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

I reluctantly agree with your club v country standpoint but that is due to my utter contempt for the SFA and the Glasgow establishment.

Were it not for that, I would wish it was much more like rugby in NZ where no one disputes that the All Blacks are the pinnacle.

As things stand, club before country for me every day of the week.

That’s not what the players say. 

8 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

You are probably correct. So sad! Its 2019 for goodness sake!!

7 hours ago, busby1985 said:

They are intertwined. In any sport from bowling to rugby etc etc you play for your club but the pinnacle will always be to show you are the best and play for your country. Yes everyone must play for their club first and if international recognition comes along its great for the reputation of club and player. What is so difficult to understand? Well done every Hearts player who has ever played for their country and I am very proud of Naismith.

23 minutes ago, Independence said:

They are intertwined. In any sport from bowling to rugby etc etc you play for your club but the pinnacle will always be to show you are the best and play for your country. Yes everyone must play for their club first and if international recognition comes along its great for the reputation of club and player. What is so difficult to understand? Well done every Hearts player who has ever played for their country and I am very proud of Naismith.

You’re ‘proud of Nausmith’?

C’mon, we are all absolutely delighted he’s at our club, but, you’re actually proud of him?