• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Agentjambo

• kingantti1874

• GinRummy

That's about 425 votes now, and virtually no-one wants McCann, Cotterill or McCall, ( around 5% in total for the 3 of them)

Hardly surprising.

Hope Ann reads kickback .

5 minutes ago, Hector Riva said:

Austin Mcphee till the end of the season at least. 

Austin til the Kiiile game. If that goes well, then Rangers, Livi, Well (lumping these three together cos Rangers at Ibrox, based on last number of years, can’t expect anything). If that goes well, possibly extend. As said, there appears to be plenty of managers out there looking for jobs. I’d be in no rush to can McPhee. Unless he fails to deliver.  

37 minutes ago, Mr Benn said:

My first choice would be Stendel and I knew about him before the vacancy arose. High-tempo football, an emphasis on the academy and putting a smile on people’s faces seems to be in order after the last couple of seasons of utter drudgery. 

Stendel is high-risk and if we are risk averse, then my next choice would be Warnock. He would offer little long-term, progress from academy to first team would suffer, but our profile would be phenomenal and there would be no question about commitment. He never played hoofball when he had Taarabt at QPR so the hoofball accusation isn’t entirely accurate. However, with what we have, we would likely see a more effective version of what Levein has offered up. 

Great to have someone that is familiar with Stendel. Can I ask two questions...

1. What did his emphasis on the academy mean in practice? I had a look last night after watching the Sky video and as far as I can see he only had one academy graduate playing regularly in his team at Barnsley last year, Jacob Brown who started about half their league games. He only seems to have given one other Academy graduate a game in the league and that was the reserve keeper. Maybe the stats are wrong or some of the players listed at s joining from other teams, joined at a really young age and should be considered Academy players really. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Barnsley_F.C._season

2. Why do you say he is high-risk? All I've seen people list are positive attributes. What is the risk?

We now have a poll completed by 450 Hearts fans and 40% of them are opting for Stendel. I'm genuinely interested to try and understand why.  Some saying things like "Stendel is the only choice from that list". I don't get it.

His CV reads a bit like Robbie Neilson to me. Average career as a player. Then age group manager at team he was most associated with. Then promoted to manager. Does well at clubs who are playing a level below where they would want to be. Neilson promoted with Hearts (then doing well in top division) and looks like getting promoted with Dundee Utd. Stendel promoted with Barnsley, although looked like he was going to fail to get promoted with Hannover 96. Both have a English lower league blemish on their CVs, Neilson failing at MK Dons, Stendel failing in the Championship with Barnsley. Both in favour of bringing through young players. Both capable of getting teams playing exciting attacking football. One has 40% of the vote, the other has 1% of the vote.

32 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

1. What did his emphasis on the academy mean in practice? I had a look last night after watching the Sky video and as far as I can see he only had one academy graduate playing regularly in his team at Barnsley last year, Jacob Brown who started about half their league games. He only seems to have given one other Academy graduate a game in the league and that was the reserve keeper. Maybe the stats are wrong or some of the players listed at s joining from other teams, joined at a really young age and should be considered Academy players really. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Barnsley_F.C._season

2. Why do you say he is high-risk? All I've seen people list are positive attributes. What is the risk?

We now have a poll completed by 450 Hearts fans and 40% of them are opting for Stendel. I'm genuinely interested to try and understand why.  Some saying things like "Stendel is the only choice from that list". I don't get it.

His CV reads a bit like Robbie Neilson to me. Average career as a player. Then age group manager at team he was most associated with. Then promoted to manager. Does well at clubs who are playing a level below where they would want to be. Neilson promoted with Hearts (then doing well in top division) and looks like getting promoted with Dundee Utd. Stendel promoted with Barnsley, although looked like he was going to fail to get promoted with Hannover 96. Both have a English lower league blemish on their CVs, Neilson failing at MK Dons, Stendel failing in the Championship with Barnsley. Both in favour of bringing through young players. Both capable of getting teams playing exciting attacking football. One has 40% of the vote, the other has 1% of the vote.

Because we want something new,a new philosophy and a bit of ****ing excitement. 

Very interesting poll results so far showing Stendel as the clear favourite. Who knows if he would come but hopefully his agent reads Kickback.

I'm not convinced by any of the other guys who have managed down south who are all out of a job for a reason. Some would underestimate our League, others would see it a stop gap til a bigger job comes up. I want someone committed to Hearts for at least 2-3 years who will hit the ground running.

Robinson is probably a safe pair of hands appointment but doesn't excite me.

Of the younger Scottish guys, Hartley is the guy with some success on his CV but more recent failure. Heart ruling head I would love to see him back as manager one day.

With no obvious outstanding candidate, McPhee has to be considered. In his brief stint as interim manager his game plan for the semi was ruined by two injuries and MacLean being a dick. But in his second game, he completely changed the approach from defensive to attacking and basically did everything we have been crying out for, proving himself to be anything but a Levein clone. For all we know, he could go on to be a great Hearts manager and I would love to see the media guys eating humble pie. The question for me is whether he would be allowed to bring in his own coaching team. In my view, McPhee would be best suited to being manager with an experienced assistant (as now) OR to continuing as assistant to someone with a similar philosophy. Stendel - maybe. Robinson maybe. Hartley maybe. McCann - not sure he has done anything to deserve it. What I'm not sure about is McPhee being given the sporting director role just to give him a job. That would take him away from working with the first team  analysing opposition etc which is what O'Neill says he is brilliant at.

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Sean Clare might actually come good under magath.

A great CV and performs miracles?

Get Felix in. :)

It doesnt really matter who we want...."we will cast our nets far and wide" and end up interviewing STUART MCCALL and NEILL MCCANN. Disgrace. 

8 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

It doesnt really matter who we want...."we will cast our nets far and wide" and end up interviewing STUART MCCALL and NEILL MCCANN. Disgrace. 

Awe c'mon I'm trying to sober up here.  :whistling:

9 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Unfortunately I think you might be right 

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'd want John Terry if it was remotely a possiblity.

Ideally nobody over 60 unless a really outstanding applicant.

Really? :lol:

Based on what? Genuine question btw, as he is easily the most bizarre name added to the 'list'.

5 hours ago, ericb said:

The huge amount of people wanting Stendel is bandwagon stuff, If you'd asked most people 6 weeks ago about him, the answer would have been "who?" 

If such a poll was in existence when Robbie left, I'd bet Cathro would have been the Stendel then.

If they are even vaguely interested (no-one knows who's applied), interview Mark Hughes, Nigel Adkins and Roy Keane, that would show intent.

No it wouldn’t. I’ve been saying Stendel on here for Donkies. 

Hackney Hearts
5 hours ago, Busby8 said:

That's about 425 votes now, and virtually no-one wants McCann, Cotterill or McCall, ( around 5% in total for the 3 of them).

Hope Ann reads kickback .

Nul points for McCall.  Nada.  

It would be extraordinary to appoint him, if Ann (or any of her minions) has been monitoring this poll.

Broxburn Jambo
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Apologies if this has been already posted cmon! Ann 🇱🇻🇱🇻

The more I read about this guy the more I like, I am not stupid enough to think he won't move on in time. but ..................the man is right C'mon Anne and Daniel lets do this deal

9 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Sorry but I agree RN should be considered his time with us before was pretty good. I know he upset many of the fans leaving for Mkds  but I don't blame anyone for trying to improve himself. Hopefully he would have realised his mistake and be better for it

7 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Really? :lol:

Based on what? Genuine question btw, as he is easily the most bizarre name added to the 'list'.

He's thought of very highly as assistant at Villa and is by far and away the candidate who has experienced football at the highest level 

Arthur Morgan
2 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Sorry but I agree RN should be considered his time with us before was pretty good. I know he upset many of the fans leaving for Mkds  but I don't blame anyone for trying to improve himself. Hopefully he would have realised his mistake and be better for it

I would take Robbie back also. 

4 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

I would take Robbie back also. 

Yea the only problem  is  he has signed  a new  3 year  contract  could be a bit expensive 

Arthur Morgan
7 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Yea the only problem  is  he has signed  a new  3 year  contract  could be a bit expensive 

It has to be Stendel 😉 Similar CV to Neilson as Saint Jambo said, and that's not a bad thing! 

10 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Perhaps Academy would be better translated as accepting the importance of playing young players with a view to selling them on. This is what the Barnsley owners want and proved Stendel’s undoing once players were sold this summer. We have a similar situation in that we have little money for signings but we do seem to have a good crop of young players coming through. Our healthy financial situation means we don’t have to sell either, whereas Barnsley seem to be being run in order to sell players on. 

Bringing someone with no experience of Scottish football from the English lower leagues always has an element of risk (just ask Hibs). How quickly can they adapt? Do we have the players to play that way? But Hibs have just appointed someone who Stendel beat to promotion even when Sunderland had a massively bigger budget. 

I’m extremely grateful to Neilson but only very recently he proved incredibly divisive among the fans and I feel at the moment the club needs a little healing. Someone who doesn’t play hoofball or an endless passing game that often doesn’t go anywhere might be a breath of fresh air. 

Robinson for me. Full of passion and attacking football. Warnock even

i don’t  want Neilson. Championship season aside his football was eye bleeding especially away from home. And that cup game at home v the vermin was unacceptable. He has found his level

Edited by 1971fozzy

luckyBatistuta

Don’t understand folk wanting Neilson back. What’s the point in completely dividing the support before he has even taken control of his first match. The second anything goes wrong, everyone will be on his back and saying he should never have been allowed back in the job. A fresh face who can hopefully unite all the fans behind him would be a far better option imo.

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

He's thought of very highly as assistant at Villa and is by far and away the candidate who has experienced football at the highest level 

Not saying he wouldn’t be a success, but Cathro is a good example of why being a very highly thought of coach is no guarantee of anything, and there’s a lot of examples of why playing career means nothing when it comes to managerial skills too. 

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Don’t understand folk wanting Neilson back. What’s the point in completely dividing the support before he has even taken control of his first match. The second anything goes wrong, everyone will be on his back and saying he should never have been allowed back in the job. A fresh face who can hopefully unite all the fans behind him would be a far better option imo.

we could unite the support 100% by appointing Stuart McCall .. e.g we are united in the view that he’s a clown and can abuse him relentlessly with no history or emotional ties to soften the rage 

kingantti1874
16 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not saying he wouldn’t be a success, but Cathro is a good example of why being a very highly thought of coach is no guarantee of anything, and there’s a lot of examples of why playing career means nothing when it comes to managerial skills too. 

we were on the right lines with cathro, it didn’t work but the idea of someone young, enthusiastic, not tied down down fear or baggage was the right one..

right now Stendel is my #1 choice, if we can’t get him give it to Austin on an 18 month contract with 12 month option.. then let Naismith take it. 

there’s no other candidates on that list which sounds like a good fit, Robinson May do well but he’d be a £200k gamble and I’m not sure he’s any better than Austin

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we were on the right lines with cathro, it didn’t work but the idea of someone young, enthusiastic, not tied down down fear or baggage was the right one..

right now Stendel is my #1 choice, if we can’t get him give it to Austin on an 18 month contract with 12 month option.. then let Naismith take it. 

there’s no other candidates on that list which sounds like a good fit, Robinson May do well but he’d be a £200k gamble and I’m not sure he’s any better than Austin

I don’t agree with the age thing. I don’t think being young is a desirable attribute. Age wouldn’t come in to it for me.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I don’t agree with the age thing. I don’t think being young is a desirable attribute. Age wouldn’t come in to it for me.

There are exceptions of course but the older guys tend to play older style football which Is not ideal today,  .. Warnock for example is an absolute kick and rush manager.. it’s not good enough, football is supposed to be fun

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

There are exceptions of course but the older guys tend to play older style football which Is not ideal today,  .. Warnock for example is an absolute kick and rush manager.. it’s not good enough, football is supposed to be fun

Maybe that is the case, I’d need to see the evidence, but I’m not so sure that’s backed up by the stats. Maybe.

Young managers who have been touted as the next big thing in Scottish football after early success at our level or a level below us include:

Ian Murray

Colin Cameron

Grant Murray

Neil McCann

Paul Hartley

Ray McKinnon

Stephen Pressley

Theres others too, but usually they fail to make the step up after early successes and get binned.

What is quite interesting is I remember Levein being referred to as a young modern manager who was playing the modern way.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Maybe that is the case, I’d need to see the evidence, but I’m not so sure that’s backed up by the stats. Maybe.

Young managers who have been touted as the next big thing in Scottish football after early success at our level or a level below us include:

Ian Murray

Colin Cameron

Grant Murray

Neil McCann

Paul Hartley

Ray McKinnon

Stephen Pressley

Theres others too, but usually they fail to make the step up after early successes and get binned.

yeah of course wouldn’t want anyone from that list, by young I mean sub 50. I also really like what Lampard and Gerrard have done - I would love us to find someone of that ilk, JT will never happen but I’d love it to happen.

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

yeah of course wouldn’t want anyone from that list, by young I mean sub 50. I also really like what Lampard and Gerrard have done - I would love us to find someone of that ilk, JT will never happen but I’d love it to happen.

I dunno man. I just don’t really agree about the age thing, I suppose. It wouldn’t be a consideration for me. Every older coach doing the rounds just now and being referred to an a dinosaur was once a young ambitious modern manager too. I’m just not convinced football has changed so much in the last 20 years that the older more experienced managers no longer have anything to offer.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

There's no guarantee anyone will be any good. I'd rather the gamble we take is that someone young and hungry comes in and makes a go of it than appointing some footballing dinosaur and hoping he hasn't become yesterday's man.

I think in isolation (good coach or good player) then you're right it's a greater risk but when someone is a highly rated coach, played at the very top level was an iconic captain of their team then it lessens that risk. Aside from coaching, Cathro was an absolute nobody in the game.

It's all irrelevant anyway as it won't be John Terry. But I'd like it to be.

23 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

If you apply for a job, from when you actually apply to getting the actual job...how long does it take?

That depends,

If the employer needs the employee now, and theres nothing stopping the employee from starting ... he starts on Monday. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I dunno man. I just don’t really agree about the age thing, I suppose. It wouldn’t be a consideration for me. Every older coach doing the rounds just now and being referred to an a dinosaur was once a young ambitious modern manager too. I’m just not convinced football has changed so much in the last 20 years that the older more experienced managers no longer have anything to offer.

Agreed. Biesla at Leeds is not known as a dinosaur and is 64. Age doesn't come into it for me.

Bazzas right boot

Stendal

Magath

McCall. 

All are a bit different. 

Stendal,

good style, German not scared of the of, fits in with our ethos of developing young with a spine of experienced pros. 

However, no experience of Scottish football. 

Magath 

Won titles as a manager, someone likened it to us getting Klopp in ten years or so. 

Would be either great or a complete washout, high risk but could be massive reward. 

McCall 

Done well with Motherwell, knows Scottish and English football, experienced manager, winner and fighter as a player. 

Downsides - rangers *******. Does he see us as a potential tewente, Leicester, a Madrid,  wolfsberg? or just a club to make the numbers up and fall in line behind the Glasgow *****. 

Not for me but someone like John Terry. 

Inexperienced, no loyalty to Hearts, but a winner, top level experience could be a lampard of a Gerrard type. 

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

we could unite the support 100% by appointing Stuart McCall .. e.g we are united in the view that he’s a clown and can abuse him relentlessly with no history or emotional ties to soften the rage 

:lol: you got me there.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Stendal

Magath

McCall. 

All are a bit different. 

Stendal,

good style, German not scared of the of, fits in with our ethos of developing young with a spine of experienced pros. 

However, no experience of Scottish football. 

What do you mean by no experience of scottish football. If it’s because he’s not managed in Scottish football before, then what difference would that make?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What do you mean by no experience of scottish football. If it’s because he’s not managed in Scottish football before, then what difference would that make?

He's also not that  experienced a manager at any level. 

Half a seasoni in Germany and a season with Barnsley. 

Scottish thing isn't a positive or a negative as such. , more of an observation. 

You missed out the rest of my quote as well? 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's also not that  experienced a manager at any level. 

Half a seasoni in Germany and a season with Barnsley. 

Scottish thing isn't a positive or a negative as such. , more of an observation. 

You missed out the rest of my quote as well? 

Yes, I did that because I was only wanting to highlight your point aimed at Stendel having had no experience in Scottish football. It makes no difference whatsoever if he has played or managed in Scottish football.

3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Agree. In the EPL and before Man City it was older managers still showing the way.  

Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp rejuvenated Spurs. Ancelotti at Chelsea.  Yet there would still have been some decent younger managers at that time doing good jobs elsewhere. Age isn’t the issue as you point out but it proves you shouldn’t write off the older ones. 

What is a young manager anyway?  Managers are probably approaching or crept into their 40s by the time they’ve really established themselves.  You aren’t old in life but in football terms you probably are.  Aside from the truly good or great managers, id imagine most fade from the forefront of the game by their 60s, maybe mid 50s.  

Look at some of the names we are being linked with. They’ve been out the game for a while.  

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree. In the EPL and before Man City it was older managers still showing the way.  

Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp rejuvenated Spurs. Ancelotti at Chelsea.  Yet there would still have been some decent younger managers at that time doing good jobs elsewhere. Age isn’t the issue as you point out but it proves you shouldn’t write off the older ones. 

What is a young manager anyway?  Managers are probably approaching or crept into their 40s by the time they’ve really established themselves.  You aren’t old in life but in football terms you probably are.  Aside from the truly good or great managers, id imagine most fade from the forefront of the game by their 60s, maybe mid 50s.  

Look at some of the names we are being linked with. They’ve been out the game for a while.  

Ferguson was 45 when he got the Manchester United job, Wenger and Ancelotti 49/50 when they took over at Arsenal and Chelsea. I'm not against an older experienced candidate, but the trend in modern football is towards younger appointments.

5 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Ferguson was 45 when he got the Manchester United job, Wenger and Ancelotti 49/50 when they took over at Arsenal and Chelsea. I'm not against an older experienced candidate, but the trend in modern football is towards younger appointments.

It has no doubt become a younger mans game.

But it’s not uncommon to see an older head drafted in to stabilise and get a club back on the right track for a season or two.

I think this is what we need. There are no outstanding candidates in the 40’s age group that I think could revolutionise our fortunes.

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yes, I did that because I was only wanting to highlight your point aimed at Stendel having had no experience in Scottish football. It makes no difference whatsoever if he has played or managed in Scottish football.

You seem to have taken offence to my observation. 

Stendal has positives and negatives in regards to the Scottish football comment. 

People can find it hard to adapt, language, culture, family amongst other things. 

In regards to football, managing a football team  in Germany is different to Scotland, culture, style, quality to name a few. 

Having no connection to Scotland could be a benefit or it could make the role more challenging as it's a different country. 

Also, when going up against other candidates, like any role in general the more recent and close experience you have had  to the role you are applying for can be beneficial. 

So an experienced manager with a healthy experience of British and Scottish football could be seen to have an advantage over someone who has little or none. 

I compared Stendal to another manager that has experience in Scottish football on my list, hence it was relevant on the comparison. 

Tbh, I thought it was obvious the possible challenges, advantages and disadvantages that employing someone with very little experience or working/ managing in a different country could bring.