• Ian Holloway
    • Gary Naysmith
    • Andy Kirk
    • Roy Keane
    • Craig Levein
    • Other

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You seem to have taken offence to my observation. 

Stendal has positives and negatives in regards to the Scottish football comment. 

People can find it hard to adapt, language, culture, family amongst other things. 

In regards to football, managing a football team  in Germany is different to Scotland, culture, style, quality to name a few. 

Having no connection to Scotland could be a benefit or it could make the role more challenging as it's a different country. 

Also, when going up against other candidates, like any role in general the more recent and close experience you have had  to the role you are applying for can be beneficial. 

So an experienced manager with a healthy experience of British and Scottish football could be seen to have an advantage over someone who has little or none. 

I compared Stendal to another manager that has experience in Scottish football on my list, hence it was relevant on the comparison. 

Tbh, I thought it was obvious the possible challenges, advantages and disadvantages that employing someone with very little experience or working/ managing in a different country could bring. 

Not taken any offence to your comments mate, just don’t get the whole “no experience in Scottish football” point, other folk have said the same, just don’t get it imo. Pep and Klopp are fighting it out every year for the English title and neither had any experience of English football. I only quoted you on it, as it was your post I read when I came on👍

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Agentjambo

• kingantti1874

• GinRummy

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree. In the EPL and before Man City it was older managers still showing the way.  

Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp rejuvenated Spurs. Ancelotti at Chelsea.  Yet there would still have been some decent younger managers at that time doing good jobs elsewhere. Age isn’t the issue as you point out but it proves you shouldn’t write off the older ones. 

What is a young manager anyway?  Managers are probably approaching or crept into their 40s by the time they’ve really established themselves.  You aren’t old in life but in football terms you probably are.  Aside from the truly good or great managers, id imagine most fade from the forefront of the game by their 60s, maybe mid 50s.  

Look at some of the names we are being linked with. They’ve been out the game for a while.  

Also, in our end of the market, a young manager is generally untried for any length of time at our level. An older manager with previous success who has been overlooked after a downwards period is possibly a better bet, because they have proven themselves capable in the past. 

The Robinson thing just screams Hartley/Murray/Wright/Cameron/McCann to me. ‘The next big thing’ who invariably ends up doing very little after their initial early promise.

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not taken any offence to your comments mate, just don’t get the whole “no experience in Scottish football” point, other folk have said the same, just don’t get it imo. Pep and Klopp are fighting it out every year for the English title and neither had any experience of English football. I only quoted you on it, as it was your post I read when I came on👍

Ofc, it could be a positive, and it could mean nothing depending on the person. 

👍

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Also, in our end of the market, a young manager is generally untried for any length of time at our level. An older manager with previous success who has been overlooked after a downwards period is possibly a better bet, because they have proven themselves capable in the past. 

The Robinson thing just screams Hartley/Murray/Wright/Cameron/McCann to me. ‘The next big thing’ who invariably ends up doing very little after their initial early promise.

Really? When I hear Robinson I hear Alan Archibald...

If we end up appointing Stendel I will take all the credit for starting this poll and allowing the board to see what the fans want!

If everyone is calling for his head by May for eye-bleeding football and failing to get out the bottom 6, I had nothing to do with it whatsoever!

• 3 weeks later...

I did want robinson initially but the more i read about stendel the last few weeks then it’s an exciting appointment and the style of play which we don’t seem to have!

Edited by Newton51