Insurance Rip off.

Harry Potter

With the Coop for my car insurance, everytime you phone to make a change to the police you are hit with 

a 15 pounds charge, what a complete joke, they encourage folk to be honest but taking the mike fish to hit you with

a charge for pushing a few buttons. anyone else  have this rip-off with their policy.

Insurance companies boil ma pish!

Why?

Why do they ALWAYS put your insurance up at renewal time despite having zero claims for over 12 years?

My can insurance went up 26%. My home insurance went up 23%. No claims, same house same car. 

I called them up and asked them if they received a 26% salary increase this year because I didnt.  They then asked me if I had gotten a cheaper quote elsewhere as they may be able to match it. Told them I was just going to leave them and renew with someone else and guess what? They then quoted me LESS than I paid last year.

I renewed with them but told them that the whole episode is a futile waste of my time and they should consider stopping arsing about and just send out the best quote they can at renewal. 

Oh, and none of this “automatic renewal” pish either. 

Rant done!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Why?

Why do they ALWAYS put your insurance up at renewal time despite having zero claims for over 12 years?

My can insurance went up 26%. My home insurance went up 23%. No claims, same house same car. 

I called them up and asked them if they received a 26% salary increase this year because I didnt.  They then asked me if I had gotten a cheaper quote elsewhere as they may be able to match it. Told them I was just going to leave them and renew with someone else and guess what? They then quoted me LESS than I paid last year.

I renewed with them but told them that the whole episode is a futile waste of my time and they should consider stopping arsing about and just send out the beat quote they can at renewal. 

Rant done!!!

The AA was a joke, was with them for years, no claims and kept going up every year, complained, was told uninsured drivers 

were putting the prices up, aye so they do, just called a few and changed for a cheaper deal, the clowns would be better looking after customers and

keeping them, they dont really get it.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

The AA was a joke, was with them for years, no claims and kept going up every year, complained, was told uninsured drivers 

were putting the prices up, aye so they do, just called a few and changed for a cheaper deal, the clowns would be better looking after customers and

keeping them, they dont really get it.

Exactly! Shower!

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

Might be talking out my erse here but didn't the Scottish government either ban or clamp down on these helpline charge numbers?

The charge is from cha ging an aspect of his policy not from calling the number.

I believe most companies do this. Think I was charged about £20 for switching vehicles last year with AVIVA.

Edited by hughesie27

Just now, hughesie27 said:

The charge is from cha ging an aspect of his policy not from calling the number.

I believe most companies do this. Think I was charged about £20 for switching vehicles last year with AVIVA.

Makes sense!

I changed cars last year and was expecting an admin fee when I swapped over but as the company I’m with is internet only I had to do it all online and no charge at all and no increase to my premium despite me going from an 11 year old car to a 1 year old car. They’re called quote me happy, they’re part of aviva.

10 hours ago, graygo said:

If they didn't have as many people renewing at the higher prices without questioning it then they would stop.

Sadly I think this is true. Folk just cant be bothered and just take what their given.

The insurance companies bank on this and make £Millions out of it.

I do the compare the market every year with car and home insurance. All insurance companies will put it up if you just let them with no query. 

Used to be a loyal customer who stayed with the same insurance company for house/car insurance etc.

Used to be but not any more, not for the last decade or more now, change near enough every year now, rarely do I stay with the same company two years in a row now. 

All this 'let's just check what today's rates are' is just a load of pish.

My laddie recently had a small claim made against him, a minor low impact bump but still a few hundred pounds worth of damage.

Got his renewal quote in and his premium had jumped by just over £600 more than he paid the previous year, feck that he thought.

He checked elsewhere and most quotes were up to £400 cheaper than what his current insurer wanted, a no brainer in the end.

12 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why?

I renewed with them but told them that the whole episode is a futile waste of my time and they should consider stopping arsing about and just send out the best quote they can at renewal. 

Rant done!!!

I've stayed with my current insurers 3 years in a row on the basis that at each year at renewal their price has been within the 3 cheapest prices quoted on a comparison site so I appreciate they aren't mugging me off and in turn keep my business. This year the renewal actually went down.

Hasting Direct for anyone interested.

Recently got a renewal through for the house insurance, after a 2 year 'introductory offer' they wanted to put my very basic house insurance up by over 20%. 

Shopped around and added contents including 2 or 3 specified high value items and still managed to get a policy that was not just cheaper than the renewal quote but cheaper than I'd actually been paying before the attempted 20% hike.

I've also been looking at car insurance as i'm about to buy my first car and the differences are huge and not just the price of the policy (varying from £800 - 2/3 grand) but some insurance also wanting to stick a 3 grand excess on too! 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I've stayed with my current insurers 3 years in a row on the basis that at each year at renewal their price has been within the 3 cheapest prices quoted on a comparison site so I appreciate they aren't mugging me off and in turn keep my business. This year the renewal actually went down.

Sounds like a proper Insurance company. I will keep them in mind when mines is due 👍

25 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Sounds like a proper Insurance company. I will keep them in mind when mines is due 👍

They did make a major cock up at my renewal one year but upon complaining the customer service director eventually called me, apologised and offered me £150 goodwill gesture so they're not without flaw but their handling of it was excellent.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

That's who I've just taken my building & contents insurance with.

Had my renewal for my Car insurance (Aviva).

It was about £30 more than last year. Called up and asked them if there was anything they could do to bring the price down. Nope they replied.

I cancelled as found a cheaper deal elsewhere, however just as the conversation was about to end the customer advisor on the phone mentioned going back onto Aviva's website as sign up as a new customer. I did that and saved £50 🤣 result!

The Old Tolbooth

Under new rules, insurers can put their best prices on comparison sites to hook you in (you normally need to add on things to tailor it to suit your needs), but when it comes to renewal time, they're apparently not allowed to show you anything apart from their like for like quotation now (this is what Hastings told me), however they did say that if I was to call them up, tell them what I saw online and how much cheaper it was, that they would either match it or get very close to it, and for 4 years on the bounce now they've been good to their word. 

If you get a renewal through, just call them up and tell them you've been quoted cheaper elsewhere (even if you haven't), and they'll do something for you :thumbsup: 

Past few years I’ve changed insurance yearly as the renewal quote was higher despite the details remaining the same. Just comparethemarket and take a like for like policy before phoning to cancel. Obviously get the usual “we’ll see what we can do” and it invariably ends in them giving a quote maybe just a few quid higher than the year before. 

This year however my renewal quote was £95 cheaper than the previous year. My gasts were flabbered! (Esure)

6 hours ago, Taffin said:

I hope you have more luck than I did trying to leave Hastings. Took me hours waiting on hold and ended up using a phone number I had from work when I dealt with their claims handlers. 

At renewel time get the cheapest quote you can find with all the criteria required and phone your existing insurer and tell them about the quote. It's not rocket science.

Your current insurer even send you a silly figure when it's renewel time so you can shop around.

Works great for me.

1 hour ago, King prawn said:

I hope you have more luck than I did trying to leave Hastings. Took me hours waiting on hold and ended up using a phone number I had from work when I dealt with their claims handlers. 

You don't need to wait until you get their renewal, you can opt out of auto renewal at anytime throughout the year, fair enough you still have to phone them but if you do it with several months to go, say 6 for example they can't give you the old let's just see what blah blah blah crap, besides if you do it early and there's a long hold then you can just phone back the next day or the next week and so on.

39 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You don't need to wait until you get their renewal, you can opt out of auto renewal at anytime throughout the year, fair enough you still have to phone them but if you do it with several months to go, say 6 for example they can't give you the old let's just see what blah blah blah crap, besides if you do it early and there's a long hold then you can just phone back the next day or the next week and so on.

This was 6 or 7 years ago and it’s still inconvenient to have to call back in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, King prawn said:

This was 6 or 7 years ago and it’s still inconvenient to have to call back in my opinion. 

Couldn't agree more, time this auto-renew crap was outlawed.

22 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why?

Rant done!!!

The worrying thing is that this is the way the entire insurance sector in the UK works - by sending existing customers ridiculously inflated renewal premiums and hoping most people will be too lazy to phone up and complain. An entire sector of the economy based on defrauding existing customers.

If everyone had the common sense to complain, they’d be ****ed within 24 hours. The entire sector would collapse like a house of cards.