Scotland Call Offs

Dennis Law

Interesting to see players pulling out of the meaningless qualifiers. Given the status of these games hardly surprising. Arsenals stance in regards to releasing Tierney seems sensible given his lack of matches this season. Yet Hearts seem happy to allow Naismith with mere minutes under his belt to trot along. Get the player may be keen however neither of the old firm would allow their prize asset to be risked under these circumstances. I hope this doesn’t back fire!

part_time_jambo

"If a player is injured, we can't do anything about it," Dyer said.

Yes you can. Grow a set and stop them playing in their next club game. Would send a message.

12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:
Hibs defender Ryan Porteous has been called into Steve Clarke's Scotland squad. Hearts full-back Jamie Brandon called up by Scotland Under-21s.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel.

To be fair, Porteous seems like a pretty decent centre back. Bit of an animal mind but decent ability wise.

Shocked at Brandon but good luck to the lad. Always good to see Hearts players getting international recognition.

20 minutes ago, Dennis Law said:

Interesting to see players pulling out of the meaningless qualifiers. Given the status of these games hardly surprising. Arsenals stance in regards to releasing Tierney seems sensible given his lack of matches this season. Yet Hearts seem happy to allow Naismith with mere minutes under his belt to trot along. Get the player may be keen however neither of the old firm would allow their prize asset to be risked under these circumstances. I hope this doesn’t back fire!

So you would rather stop Naismith from getting his 50th cap when he has played 90 minutes and looked in great condition? 

He is clearly fully fit the way he was charging about at the end on Saturday and yet you seem to think we should be preventing him from getting into the national hall of fame when he has openly said this is something he is keen to achieve.

How would we do this? Ask him to lie and pretend he's injured? Great way to treat your star player.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

To be fair, Porteous seems like a pretty decent centre back. Bit of an animal mind but decent ability wise.

Shocked at Brandon but good luck to the lad. Always good to see Hearts players getting international recognition.

Porteous is a decent defender. You can be sure both Souttar and Halkett are ahead of him in terms of call ups. If both or either were available Porteous wouldn’t been anywhere near the squad.

Perhaps we should get on the blower to Clarke and tell him this is the shitshow he’ll be dealing with so bin it and get to Tynecastle!

3 minutes ago, leith_dude said:

So you would rather stop Naismith from getting his 50th cap when he has played 90 minutes and looked in great condition? 

He is clearly fully fit the way he was charging about at the end on Saturday and yet you seem to think we should be preventing him from getting into the national hall of fame when he has openly said this is something he is keen to achieve.

How would we do this? Ask him to lie and pretend he's injured? Great way to treat your star player.

Exactly. People are reacting as if we are sending Naismith off to play with the scotland rugby team. In reality he’ll be getting higher quality training and a potential 45-90 minutes or so in a week where, without internationals, he’d otherwise be getting 90 minutes anyways. 

Steve Clarke picking him as one of the best options is questionable, but his/our decision to let him go isn’t. 

The Future's Maroon
37 minutes ago, Dennis Law said:

Pretty sure it has been said by AM we would rather he got minutes under his belt rather than not over the break...sensible in my opinion, the player has said himself he is over his injury, plus I hope that once Naisy gets that 50th cap he may retire from international football to concentrate of his club football.

Edited by The Future's Maroon

I blame the individual players backroom staff and their sheer incompetence at every club whose players have pulled out

That's how it works at our club

Should have called up Billy Gilmour, don’t really get what Lewis Morgan adds for example.

If anything Gilmour is closer to the Chelsea first 11 than Morgan Celtics. 

Part of the reason Naismith is with us is because he felt playing first choice in a reasonable division near to home gave him the best opportunity to continue to play for Scotland. 
We have to accept this as part of the deal to get him. Hopefully another 90 minutes under his belt and he will be even better coming back. Just hope he doesn’t pick up a knock. 

The Apprentice

Lewis Morgan called up after only 3 appearances for Celtic this season and he barely makes their match day squad. What a joke.

As much as these games are a bit meaningless it would’ve been good to field our best team to build some sort of momentum ahead of the playoffs.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, The Merse said:

As much as these games are a bit meaningless it would’ve been good to field our best team to build some sort of momentum ahead of the playoffs.

We’re the best example of why the Nations League should be scrapped. Travesty if we qualify for the Euros

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There are players involved with Scotland who don't want to be there. Sad state of affairs.

A legacy of the way the Scotland team has been run. Bet they get the piss taken out of them at their clubs.

1 hour ago, leith_dude said:

After the game in the Gorgie Suite, Scott Wilson said to Naismith “could you not just withdraw from the Scotland squad?” - Naismith said “I’ve got a 50th cap to get”.

The sooner he gets it the better and I think he will retire from International football.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
40 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Still some patriotic players (Naismith) who would not turn down the chance to represent their country(as should all players)

On the flip side though, should he really be joining up with this squad? He’s only just fit FFS

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

Lewis Morgan called up after only 3 appearances for Celtic this season and he barely makes their match day squad. What a joke.

What does Liam Henderson have to do to get a call up?😂 He plays in a half decent serie A team ffs & he’s completely ignored haha granted he doesn’t get much game time atm but he’s well regarded here by both Bari and Verona fans and he’s no doubt good enough to play for scotland. (Aye he’s a hibee).

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We are a nation of absolute losers unfortunately 

I wouldn’t say that tbh, Scotland are more a nation of individuals. We don’t really excel at teamwork in any sport. I wouldn’t exactly say chris hoy or Stephen hendry or andy Murray are losers.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I wouldn’t say that tbh, Scotland are more a nation of individuals. We don’t really excel at teamwork in any sport. I wouldn’t exactly say chris hoy or Stephen hendry or andy Murray are losers.

I’ll give you Andy Murray but snooker and cycling, fringe sports which no-one cares about 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Very few and far between. 

39 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

On the flip side though, should he really be joining up with this squad? He’s only just fit FFS

Well its up to him but i see where ya coming from

Malinga the Swinga

Considering he is captain, Andy Robertson doesn't show much commitment to the cause. No doubt he will miraculously be declared fit for Liverpool in their next match. Just disappointed in him as I didn't think he would succumb to the same shit attitude that so many previous players playing at so called big English clubs seem to have.

Wohld be fairly happy if Clarke told him to get lost and didn't pick him again.

2 hours ago, Barack said:

If a player is injured, we can't do anything about it," Dyer said.

"All the ones that have pulled out this time are genuinely injured. It's not like they wanted to be pulled out or didn't want to come."

Says a lot to me. Though nothing most people not in a coma, didn't already know.

Indeed. 

It must be hard for Clarke to get some sort of momentum going when he’s constantly having players pulled by their clubs. He must be pretty frustrated. 

They're kind of pointless games for the same faces but getting the likes of McKenna and Porteous game time is a good thing.  I really think Clarke should be bold and give kids a shot - Hickey, or other teenagers. 

Other nations do this and it provides a massive boost to that youngsters confidence which can only be a good thing.

Nelly Terraces

Don't blame them one bit. Who in their right mind would want to risk injury or waste their energy turning out for that shite?

The GFA haven't taken the national team seriously for over 20 years - otherwise they'd have completely changed the entire structure of football in this country - so why should top flight players who have more important matters to deal with?

Pasquale for King

I saw an article today by Kevin Gallagher about how these players don’t take internationals as important as Champions League games. He said Internationals are a level above Champions League, absolute nonsense really but it might also have escaped his notice that only Robertson is playing in both currently. 
As for Naismith hopefully he won’t get an injury and his fitness will improve for our next game, he won’t retire either as he’s already spoken about getting to a tournament and will want to be involved in the playoffs, after that perhaps if it goes badly. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’ll give you Andy Murray but snooker and cycling, fringe sports which no-one cares about 

Once Murray retires nobody will care about tennis again either.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

What does Liam Henderson have to do to get a call up?😂 He plays in a half decent serie A team ffs & he’s completely ignored haha granted he doesn’t get much game time atm but he’s well regarded here by both Bari and Verona fans and he’s no doubt good enough to play for scotland. (Aye he’s a hibee).

He’s a Celtic fan I think, I saw him playing against Inter the other day and did well. Out of sight out of mind it would appear. 

Far to many despicable comments putting country after club. You expect that from Rankers but not Hearts. The likes of Bauld, Cruikie and Robbo regarding playing for their country a great honour.

Edited by Prof

Pasquale for King
Just now, luckydug said:

Some of us seem happy about it.

No national pride. 

Some don’t feel the need to base their national pride on a bunch of sports people who rarely live up to our expectations.

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I saw an article today by Kevin Gallagher about how these players don’t take internationals as important as Champions League games. He said Internationals are a level above Champions League, absolute nonsense really

Garbage

I don't think Clarke would have brought in Naismith if he wasn't going to play.him.

Delighted for him to win that 50th cap.  Possibly many more over the next year or so.

SpruceBringsteen

Porteous is an absolute hammerthrower. For a Hibs **** however, I quite like him and tbh it's hilarious that after decades of them yelping like scalded dugs about BIG PHYSICUL HERTZ that they're chugging like piston engines over him. 

Edited by SpruceBringsteen

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Some don’t feel the need to base their national pride on a bunch of sports people who rarely live up to our expectations.

Most people have no right to set expectations of anyone. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Prof said:

Garbage

Liverpool would annihilate France for example, Man City would trounce Belgium. The level in the Champions League is much higher, the top teams don’t get beat by the equivalent of Wales or Northern Ireland. International football is falling away slowly but surely in Scottish footballs list of priorities, as crowds go up in the top league they plummet for the national team.  

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Most people have no right to set expectations of anyone. 

Unfortunately they do though and base their confidence as a nation on some daft football players or how some minority sports like rugby fare on the international stage.