North Coast 500

EH11_2NL

yvonnejambo

I think it depends on what you want to do when up here for the time it takes. If you want to stick to the route you really should spend a couple of days at least in an area. I would say  2 days Applecross,  2 days Ullapool or Assynt, 2 days Durness, 2 days Golspie and then Inverness if wanting a bit of small city life at the end. 
ideally spending a week in 1area and going on different travels from a base each day. There is a lot to do if you look in the right places 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pans Jambo

• ri Alban

• yvonnejambo

• highlandjambo3

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, yvonnejambo said:

ideally spending a week in 1area and going on different travels from a base each day. There is a lot to do if you look in the right places 

I've been in Dunbeath all week and pinging about the place from there.

It's been awesome. 👍

yvonnejambo
46 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's been awesome. 👍

Nice,  that works as a good base for the North East side. Have fun 

10 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's been awesome. 👍

Have you ventured up Morven? 

Governor Tarkin

I'd have loved to but the wee man is still to wee for that sort of thing and gets grumpy after any more than half an hour in the backpack.

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I might nip up to Uist, for a wee long weekend. 

Lovely place, but it'll take you most of the weekend to get there and back! 

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

Lovely place, but it'll take you most of the weekend to get there and back! 

I'll make a week. 👍 Cheers! 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I'll make a week. 👍 Cheers! 

Smart move. Went to Eriskay a few years back, have genuinely travelled to Beijing quicker!

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

Smart move. Went to Eriskay a few years back, have genuinely travelled to Beijing quicker!

🤣

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd have loved to but the wee man is still to wee for that sort of thing and gets grumpy after any more than half an hour in the backpack.

Don't be going swimming in the Fjords, it'll be freezing.

😰

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't be going swimming in the Fjords, it'll be freezing.

😰

The wee man was in the sea at John O'Groats yesterday mate. It was roasting! 👍

FB_IMG_1595666622136.jpg

yvonnejambo

This just came up

on my Fb memories, the day I was working in Durness and decided to go to Balnakeil beach to have my lunch. Looked like the cows had decided to go there to sunbathe. 

Spoiler

5C2A713A-A436-42B3-91E1-6289BAFA03A6.jpeg

939F943E-4387-4467-9260-BA2E09E1F312.jpeg

Edited by yvonnejambo

• 2 weeks later...

Did the NC500 (ish) last week in a 7.5Mtr motor home. Missed out Applecross (been before and didnt fancy the beallach twisty thing in the motorhome) and skipped Lochinver for the same reason.

Wasnt really that busy. Stayed at camp-sites in Inverness, Gairloch, Ullapool, Morvich, Dornoch then went to Glencoe and Oban.

If there was traffic behind I just pulled in and let them pass. Easy peasy!

I used to really like Ullapool but it pissed me off!

A bit "Parochial".

Was the only camp-site on my itinerary that had the toilet & shower blocks closed. The wee pub on the seafront overlooking the bay didnt do food till 5:30pm (plenty folk milling around so no idea why not), the main pub on the corner  (The Seaforth) only does food on Fri/Sat/Sun (I was there on Monday) but you can go to their chip shop next door and pay £12 for a fish supper if you want and take it back into the pub (with a total of 6 choices on the menu). Shite! 

Anyway, rest of the trip was good apart from the bit along the top once you get passed Smoo caves is some boring mundane shit all the way to Dunrobin Castle. 

Inverness to Cape Wrath up the west coast is absolutely beautiful...even in the pissing rain!

9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Did the NC500 (ish) last week in a 7.5Mtr motor home. Missed out Applecross (been before and didnt fancy the beallach twisty thing in the motorhome) and skipped Lochinver for the same reason.

Wasnt really that busy. Stayed at camp-sites in Inverness, Gairloch, Ullapool, Morvich, Dornoch then went to Glencoe and Oban.

A bit "Parochial".

Was the only camp-site on my itinerary that had the toilet & shower blocks closed. The wee pub on the seafront overlooking the bay didnt do food till 5:30pm (plenty folk milling around so no idea why not), the main pub on the corner  (The Seaforth) only does food on Fri/Sat/Sun (I was there on Monday) but you can go to their chip shop next door and pay £12 for a fish supper if you want and take it back into the pub (with a total of 6 choices on the menu). Shite! 

Anyway, rest of the trip was good apart from the bit along the top once you get passed Smoo caves is some boring mundane shit all the way to Dunrobin Castle. 

Inverness to Cape Wrath up the west coast is absolutely beautiful...even in the pissing rain!

Not great that these year round businesses didn't cater to your needs on your day trip. 

25 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

A bit "Parochial".

Wish there were more like you, We went up the west coast (A82 from Loch Lomond, past Fort william towards Kyle of Lochalsh) a couple of weeks ago staying at Dornie and driving around Skye etc from there, only thing that annoyed me the whole trip was drivers failing to notice a huge queue of traffic behind them. I honestly get that not every driver is comfortable doing the 60mph speed limit on those roads but ffs check your rear view mirror occasionally and pull into one of the many passing places and car parks on the route!

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Not great that these year round businesses didn't cater to your needs on your day trip. 

Wasnt on a day trip. Not serving food in late July at 3pm to tourists who you rely on is just shite business! The chef lying in his pit or what?

If you want to attract buisness you need to be actually open and offering a service dont you???

Maybe not in the parochial “closed on the sabbath” West of Scotland. On a Monday!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Wish there were more like you, We went up the west coast (A82 from Loch Lomond, past Fort william towards Kyle of Lochalsh) a couple of weeks ago staying at Dornie and driving around Skye etc from there, only thing that annoyed me the whole trip was drivers failing to notice a huge queue of traffic behind them. I honestly get that not every driver is comfortable doing the 60mph speed limit on those roads but ffs check your rear view mirror occasionally and pull into one of the many passing places and car parks on the route!

I agree. Even if it was just 1 car I thought it might be a local going about his business. If the road was clear I just indicated left and slowed down allowing the car to pass safely. I was in no rush.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this as the mrs fancies this for her 50th in August.  🙄

Any tips and must sees please ? Also places to stay that are that little bit extra  special. Cost not an issue. Campervan or not ? 

il Duce McTarkin

I've done it a couple of times by car and staying in wee hotels and inns. Anti-clockwise each time so the scenery gets better as the trip goes on.

I'll probably go with a camper van next time now that I have kids. 

Doing a very small part of it in a friend's camper this summer. 2 nights in Fort William, 1 night in Applecross, 1 night in Ullapool.

6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Doing a very small part of it in a friend's camper this summer. 2 nights in Fort William, 1 night in Applecross, 1 night in Ullapool.

If you’re in a decent sized camper go into Applecross via the Torridon road. 

Did it a couple of summers ago.

Brilliant trip and very worth while doing.

We took the ferry over to Orkney and had a couple of days there. Fascinating history especially its significance to the wars.

Stunning scenery and bright white beaches.

We stayed in Kirkwall and loved it.

So in short NC500 plus a couple days on Orkney is something I would recommend.

If you’re going in the summer please don’t imagine pleasant balmy evenings sitting outside your camper if that’s your choice.

Sorry, the midgies put the s**ts on a summer’s evening in the West.

Edited by FWJ

highlandjambo3

If your taking a van anything the same size or bigger than a transit LWB then skip out the Applecross peninsular, many vans struggle with the hairpin bends……camper van = accommodation to stop where you like (obviously) car = accommodation which can be difficult to find…….some people do car/tent and wild camping.

I did it in this………..😏 (smug):

7EAF8AAF-AF4B-427E-AF3C-172AFC63D442.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

If you’re in a decent sized camper go into Applecross via the Torridon road. 

It's a VW Transporter. I dunno if that qualifies as decent sized or not 🤷‍♂️

I had planned to go the road with the funny name.

Edited by Sooperstar

Just now, Sooperstar said:

It's a VW Transporter. I dunno if that qualifies as decent sized or not. 

I’d happily drive that over to Applecross but I used to live there and have spent a lot of my life driving in the west highlands. I have seen people losing their bravado very quickly on that road in vans. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’d happily drive that over to Applecross but I used to live there and have spent a lot of my life driving in the west highlands. I have seen people losing their bravado very quickly on that road in vans. 

I'm all bravado, Taz. If you had told me I was set for certain death it would only have strengthened my resolve.

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

I did it (Bealach na Bà) in a car and was shitting myself, stuff doing it in anything bigger.

9 minutes ago, graygo said:

I did it (Bealach na Bà) in a car and was shitting myself, stuff doing it in anything bigger.

I’ve done it on the way back to Lochcarron in a fully loaded van and had to stop as smoke was coming out the brakes! 

Angry Haggis

Done the nc500 last May on the motorbike - it’s brilliant. 

If you have the choice over car/accommodation v camper van I would do the first IMO.

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

It's a VW Transporter. I dunno if that qualifies as decent sized or not 🤷‍♂️

I had planned to go the road with the funny name.

Yes….defiantly go up that road……funny name is Gaelic for “trail of the cattle”, it’s the rout that cattle drovers used to take their cattle down  to market, it was only completer in 1971 for vehicles.

view from the top looking down the road you’ll drive up:

C9B32C81-D724-4A00-AA6C-B883348579AD.jpeg

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes….defiantly go up that road……funny name is Gaelic for “trail of the cattle”, it’s the rout that cattle drovers used to take their cattle down  to market, it was only completer in 1971 for vehicles.

view from the top looking down the road you’ll drive up:

C9B32C81-D724-4A00-AA6C-B883348579AD.jpeg

I look forward to arguing with my wife when I try to explain to her that we can't stop so that she can take a photo.

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I look forward to arguing with my wife when I try to explain to her that we can't stop so that she can take a photo.

You can actually stop…..I took that picture very near the top……after the last hairpin bend to the right very near the top there is a passing place on the left side and the road if fairly wide….stop in the passing place which is also fairly big, there may be one or two cars already there if people are in the know.  Get out and snap away…..the road you came up is good for a picture and, if you continue to walk up the slope where the passing place is (say your vehicle is pointing at 12 o’clock then walk in the direction of 9 o’clock …….it’s a wee bit rocky and uphill but a very gentle slope…after about 50 meters you’ll be high enough to look over towards the Isle of Skye and Raasay………..you’ll be taking the best picture of your whole trip from a secluded spot not many people know about👍….. if you pass this passing spot your goosed 😂 let me know how you get on.

highlandjambo3
16 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Ullapool has a cracking seafood shack (if you like seafood) , it’s not down on the sea front but a wee bit further back but easy to find.  This is what I had……that piece of fish went all the way down to the bottom of the wrapper…..proper portion.

google seafood shack Ullapool …… harbour inn is a decent pub as well

DO NOT forget to take the obligatory TYNECASTLE sign on the right side just as you get into Ullapool…….  Doing the 5-1 is not mandatory but, you won’t be able to help yourself.

BAEBF33E-4C98-4155-9893-629FB3B5DE16.jpeg

Looks like this :

653FF121-2756-436F-934C-1B5A538E8A58.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

37 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You can actually stop…..I took that picture very near the top……after the last hairpin bend to the right very near the top there is a passing place on the left side and the road if fairly wide….stop in the passing place which is also fairly big, there may be one or two cars already there if people are in the know.  Get out and snap away…..the road you came up is good for a picture and, if you continue to walk up the slope where the passing place is (say your vehicle is pointing at 12 o’clock then walk in the direction of 9 o’clock …….it’s a wee bit rocky and uphill but a very gentle slope…after about 50 meters you’ll be high enough to look over towards the Isle of Skye and Raasay………..you’ll be taking the best picture of your whole trip from a secluded spot not many people know about👍….. if you pass this passing spot your goosed 😂 let me know how you get on.

Cheers, I'll keep my eye out for it as I crawl along the road!

31 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ullapool has a cracking seafood shack (if you like seafood) , it’s not down on the sea front but a wee bit further back but easy to find.  This is what I had……that piece of fish went all the way down to the bottom of the wrapper…..proper portion.

DO NOT forget to take the obligatory TYNECASTLE sign on the right side just as you get into Ullapool…….  Doing the 5-1 is not mandatory but, you won’t be able to help yourself.

Looks like this :

Yeah we will definitely be going to the seafood shack!

There's a reason there is passing places on roads likes this in the Highlands and it's not so tourists can use them for parking their vehicles in to admire the views. 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, moshy said:

There's a reason there is passing places on roads likes this in the Highlands and it's not so tourists can use them for parking their vehicles in to admire the views. 

Very true.

56 minutes ago, moshy said:

If he means the one I’m thinking of it’s a whole lot bigger than a passing place and more of a viewpoint/laybye. 

On 06/03/2022 at 10:04, highlandjambo3 said:

Looks like this :

Agree with this. 

DO NOT GO TO THE CHIP SHOP IN THE TOWN CENTRE!!!!

Its a bloody rip off tourist trap and the food is shite with a choice of around 6 items! Think its about £12+ for a fish supper & that was a year ago!

I dont know how they do it but its got the feel of a shitehole in Blackpool. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

Doctor FinnBarr
23 hours ago, Tazio said:

If he means the one I’m thinking of it’s a whole lot bigger than a passing place and more of a viewpoint/laybye. 

Is that not the one at the very top with views over the small isles? I stopped the bike there one May and made snow angels.

highlandjambo3
On 06/03/2022 at 21:23, moshy said:

Like I said…..it’s much bigger than a passing place and, the road at that point is actually wide enough for two vehicles to pass so nomproblemo 😁

12 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Agree with this. 

DO NOT GO TO THE CHIP SHOP IN THE TOWN CENTRE!!!!

Its a bloody rip off tourist trap and the food is shite with a choice of around 6 items! Think its about £12+ for a fish supper & that was a year ago!

I dont know how they do it but its got the feel of a shitehole in Blackpool. 

I bought two fish suppers out of there  2 weeks ago for £10.50 each, although they did have the £12.50 option. Big fish and enough chips freshly cooked while I waited. If i had known the fish was that big I would have bought one and we could have shared it. Better than a fish that has been lying in a cabinet for hours like happens in Edinburgh for example.

8 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Like I said…..it’s much bigger than a passing place and, the road at that point is actually wide enough for two vehicles to pass so nomproblemo 😁

Fair do's we had a gritter end up in a ditch trying to get past vehicles parked in passing places completely blocking the road then had to wait on a tractor pulling the gritter out,  the police arrived and ticketed the offending vehicles 😁