North Coast 500

EH11_2NL

For next year's summer hols, me and Der Uber Gruppen Fuhrer fancy the NC 500. Anyone done it and how was it? I can handle crap weather and midgies.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pans Jambo

• ri Alban

• yvonnejambo

• highlandjambo3

9 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

For next year's summer hols, me and Der Uber Gruppen Fuhrer fancy the NC 500. Anyone done it and how was it? I can handle crap weather and midgies.

Was thinking the same. Be interested to see the responses.

I did it 2 years ago and it was amazing. Hired a campervan and went with wife and dugs. We went up the east coast and down the west. Stayed in a couple of campsites and a couple of nights "wild". Some of the scenery will blow your bollocks off. And some truly amazing beaches. Would defo recommend. The weather was amazing while we did it right enough - would maybe have been a different story if it was raining the whole time. 

Spitonastranger

Done it twice and camped and hotels in between for a bit luxury. take your time and go off track to see some great places. Don't miss the Whaligo steps down on the east coast. If its nice a great spot at the bottom for a picnic and a swim.

Done it twice recently this summer and in 2016. Weather was absolutely shite this year rained non stop. Never camped so can't comment but the hotels we've stayed at have always been friendly. Done it as part of a car club so after a long days driving it was good to chill at the bar with a few pints.

Edited by TheStig

Most of the west coast is stunning, allocate most of your time for this, especially applecross a big favourite of mine. Camping is ok but a hassle if you are only staying one night per location. Recommended this to anyone, especially on a motorbike.

Psychedelicropcircle
2 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Cheers folks. Was planning to hire a decent MPV/4X4 and head off West first. Any 'must sees'?

Go via glencoe, you can cut back over onto the A9 at Roy bridge or via fort Augusta's Loch Ness to Inverness. West coast Applecross via the pass of the cattle. Before that at the Kyle of lochalsh nip into plockton (food here or the applecross inn) kylesku is scenic I could go on but it’s all kinda pleasing on the eye, hope you get the weather as it’ll live long in the memory & it’s actually ****ing ours 

ma & a couple pals are doing it in August on our Lambrettas! Cannae wait 🤤 

Cairneyhill Jambo
14 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Cheers folks. Was planning to hire a decent MPV/4X4 and head off West first. Any 'must sees'?

There's a really good facebook page called NC500 which has lots of info on it.

Arseholes in camper vans on single track roads holding up the locals going about their daily routine. Arseholes with camper vans dumping their toilet waste wherever they feel like it. Lack of infrastructure to deal with the increase in traffic. No wonder the locals were pissed off and throwing roofing nails onto the road. 

jack D and coke
53 minutes ago, moshy said:

Arseholes in camper vans on single track roads holding up the locals going about their daily routine. Arseholes with camper vans dumping their toilet waste wherever they feel like it. Lack of infrastructure to deal with the increase in traffic. No wonder the locals were pissed off and throwing roofing nails onto the road. 

There’s really no excusing ignorant *****. 
Deserve a fat lip for that kind of stuff imo.
One of my biggest hates is driving around seeing bags of shit and rubbish that have been thrown from vehicles etc. 
Pig ignorant ****ing *****.

Id bring in big fines for anyone caught doing shit like that. £1000 fine or something. 

:seething:

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s really no excusing ignorant *****. 
Deserve a fat lip for that kind of stuff imo.
One of my biggest hates is driving around seeing bags of shit and rubbish that have been thrown from vehicles etc. 
Pig ignorant ****ing *****.

Id bring in big fines for anyone caught doing shit like that. £1000 fine or something. 

:seething:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/may/25/dark-side-scotland-north-coast-500-route-speeding-congestion-protest

here's a link to the article. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am glad to have driven the route years ago before it got the fancy branding. There were still lots of camper vans back then but most folks just wild camped or used B&Bs.  

We were back up the west coast section this summer and it was busier during the day but in the evening and early morning it still felt like the old days with mostly quiet roads. 

The northern and especially the west coast scenery is stunning, I love the weird mountain shapes in the Assynt area and south of Ullapool the towering mountains An Teallach and Liathach still take my breath away. Watch the weather and try and time the west coast section so the hills are clear but that can be easier said than done and luck pays a huge a part.

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, moshy said:

Sounds proper annoying for the locals that. 
Hopefully they can find a happy medium and keep money coming into the area. 
The idiots dumping from the chemical toilets though :facepalm:

What's the matter with people?

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

How long does it take to do? So as not to rush it?

We took 6 days and probably could have easily taken more time.

I'd say 6/7 days to enjoy it without rushing.

jack D and coke
Just now, Lovecraft said:

Cool man cheers👍🏼

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

I've probably got a a week max at home to do this. A crowd of my mates did it on motorbikes this year and camped for the week. 100 miles a day is plenty I think.

9 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

I've probably got a a week max at home to do this. A crowd of my mates did it on motorbikes this year and camped for the week. 100 miles a day is plenty I think.

That's about the perfect time to stop and see a couple of things each day.

Day 2 of mine including Applecross.

Edited by Lovecraft

Doctor FinnBarr
23 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

I did the most part of it in 2 days on a bike before it had a name. First day I set off from a mates in Portknockie and went to Inverness then up to Thurso to camp. 2nd day I did Tongue, Durness, Applecross before getting the ferry to Skye (it was about 1990 I think) and camped in Portree for the night. I did it alone so I was only stopping where I wanted to stop and no one to hold me back. I knew its not strictly the NC500 but it took in the most part of it.

AngleParkMenace

We did it camping. Got a blow up tent from  decathlon so was a piece of piss putting up and down. Lots of places to camp? About £10 a night. We sped up the east coast as most of it is in day out range for us so wanted to concentrate on the north/west. 
Durness is amazing lots to do. 
the hike to sand wood Bay beach took week over a hour but was worth it

applecross is a stunning drive and the pub did some great seafood. 
Drive down the west is spectacular. 

highlandjambo3

I did it a couple of years back in a Convertible mustang.....was great.  As I live up here I am always off over the west coast every other week.  Be aware that getting accommodation is very difficult during busy times, book well in advance if you can.  

If you were a tourist and you were here for only 1 day and could visit only 1 place and, you asked me what’s the VERY best thing to see and do I’d say go to Applecross and have lunch in the Applecross inn, you will be blown away by the drive up.

Advice......when driving by lochness heading West from Inverness take the southern side via Dores village, much quieter and a nicer drive.  Stop in at the Dores inn, I can guarantee you will be viewing Loch Ness from the very best spot.

On 14/11/2019 at 00:00, jonesy said:

Beautiful part of the world. Full of foreigners (i.e. anyone south of Flow country!) driving rented campervans on roads they couldn't hack in a Ford Fiesta.

Yep, last time we went over from Applecross, we had to help some Italians get a Fiat out of a ditch. At least they didn't go off the other side of the road... 

My brother in law cycled it last year with his mate. The weather was shit and they hated almost every minute of it. Assholes are doing Lands End to John O'Groats next year... :o

Family done it about 30 years ago before it became popularised.

was only a kid at the time but do remember smoo caves and the big beach at bettyhill being good stop off points on the north coast. Also done pony trecking at tongue 

we booked a camper van to do it this year with our kids who would have been a similar age but cancelled when we realised they couldn’t be content for more than 90 minutes without starting a riot in the car

On 12/11/2019 at 11:39, Lobey Dosser said:

I did it 2 years ago and it was amazing. Hired a campervan and went with wife and dugs. We went up the east coast and down the west. Stayed in a couple of campsites and a couple of nights "wild". Some of the scenery will blow your bollocks off. And some truly amazing beaches. Would defo recommend. The weather was amazing while we did it right enough - would maybe have been a different story if it was raining the whole time. 

Can you reccomend any campervan  hire companies and how much to pay?

Looking to do this for a week un June next year

13 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Can you reccomend any campervan  hire companies and how much to pay?

Looking to do this for a week un June next year

I used Atlas Campervans in Glasgow. I think it was about 1200 for the week, which included insurance and a charge for taking the dugs. 

https://www.atlashiredrive.co.uk

• 7 months later...

Just booked up a motor home for 25th July for a week. Going to do the NC500. Been on my "to-do" list for years.

Me, Mrs PJ my lad and my dog.

I spoke to 7 camp sites. 2 are not taking any bookings until clear government advice on whether they can open again or not and the other 5 are accepting bookings although they are not sure if the shower and toiled blocks will be open (again, waiting on clear advice from Scotgov on this). 

The motorhome I hired is fully contained and has a kitchen, shower and toilet on board anyway so its all good.

That said, looks like pubs, restaurants, cafe's, hotels and camp sites could well all be open from the 15th July.

Just hope for some decent weather. Cant wait. Should be good.

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Just booked up a motor home for 25th July for a week. Going to do the NC500. Been on my "to-do" list for years.

I spoke to 7 camp sites. 2 are not taking any bookings until clear government advice on whether they can open again or not and the other 5 are accepting bookings although they are not sure if the shower and toiled blocks will be open (again, waiting on clear advice from Scotgov on this). 

The motorhome I hired is fully contained and has a kitchen, shower and toilet on board anyway so its all good.

That said, looks like pubs, restaurants, cafe's, hotels and camp sites could well all be open from the 15th July.

I did it a fey years ago in a mustang....was great.

Not trying to put your nose out of joint here but, it’s not highly thought of people doing this in camper vans.....it’s been on the local news lots of times (not sure if it’s seen outside the highlands) about gridlocks etc......the Applecross peninsula is particularly difficult to get over in a large vehicle, lots of single track roads with passing places.  Anyway, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, it’s a cracking drive.

20 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I did it a fey years ago in a mustang....was great.

Not trying to put your nose out of joint here but, it’s not highly thought of people doing this in camper vans.....it’s been on the local news lots of times (not sure if it’s seen outside the highlands) about gridlocks etc......the Applecross peninsula is particularly difficult to get over in a large vehicle, lots of single track roads with passing places.  Anyway, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, it’s a cracking drive.

I did see that bud. I said the NC 500 but its likely the NC 400 as I am going to miss out the Applecross and the Beallach Na Bah road (think thats how its spelt). I was up there about 5 years ago in an estate car and that was bad enough.

It's chicken and egg.The area has been screaming out for inward investment and a bigger chunk of the tourist pound that usually ends up in Edinburgh/Glencoe/Inveness etc. and now they do, they complain about how busy it is. Cant win.

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

We had to cancel our trip home. Airports are closed here until at least September. Absolutely gutted. Will probably wait now until I come home next year. 

I done morayshire last year. I think they are trying to brand it as nc350 or something. But up round Burghead is lovely. Lots of good wee villages to visit.

Not quite the full on highlands feel the west has but lots to do and quieter than some of the nc500 hotspots

I spent a summer living and working in Applecross 30 years ago and it was fantastic. The campsite had just been taken over and made its own baked goods so for the firs time in many years fresh bread and cakes were a thing and the pub was run by a mad Yorkshireman and his wife who were great people. And her brother who was a chef at somewhere like the Dorchester in London created the menu for them and then moved up to live there so top notch grub and beer. And a healthy disrespect for closing time. Many mental lock ins and whole weekend sessions. 
It was also a bit of a secret destination as well and as many Dutch and french people went there as Brits, if not more. Not huge amounts of people but enough for everyone to make a good living. I last went about 10 years ago and it seemed to have lost a lot of that feel. That might have been misplaced nostalgia from me though. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I spent a summer living and working in Applecross 30 years ago and it was fantastic. The campsite had just been taken over and made its own baked goods so for the firs time in many years fresh bread and cakes were a thing and the pub was run by a mad Yorkshireman and his wife who were great people. And her brother who was a chef at somewhere like the Dorchester in London created the menu for them and then moved up to live there so top notch grub and beer. And a healthy disrespect for closing time. Many mental lock ins and whole weekend sessions. 
It was also a bit of a secret destination as well and as many Dutch and french people went there as Brits, if not more. Not huge amounts of people but enough for everyone to make a good living. I last went about 10 years ago and it seemed to have lost a lot of that feel. That might have been misplaced nostalgia from me though. 

I noticed when up there last summer that the filling station, more like one pump 😄in Applecross is owned by the local community, a good thing. Pay at the pump anytime which is a relief as it is a long way to the next filling station and the roads up there burn through the fuel at an alarming rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Took advantage of the change in covid rules. Set off in the wee hours making most of quiet roads and done a large portion of it.

Up to Lochinver then cape wrath and along north coast to durness (smoo cave) before following the strathnaver timber trail along the loch and a wee loop to thurso before coming back down. (Didnt bother with john ogroats)

Debateable how worthwhile it was at such a pace and with all the sights closed but as you'd expect i barely saw a sole, was great having roads to myself.

But saw some castles, sights and great scenery. decent wee road trip.

I tried not to touch anything (gates etc), regularly anti bac'd and wore a mask when i paid at petrol station.

• 3 weeks later...
yvonnejambo
On 24/06/2020 at 11:50, Pans Jambo said:

It's chicken and egg.The area has been screaming out for inward investment and a bigger chunk of the tourist pound that usually ends up in Edinburgh/Glencoe/Inveness etc. and now they do, they complain about how busy it is. Cant win.

I disagree, I live in Ullapool which has always been a very busy tourist hotspot before the road got named NC500! 
The issues pre Covid with the NC500 marketing is turning a stunning part of the world into a racetrack. It’s actually mental the amount of sports car and big groups of bikers who go crazy racing around. I have lost count of the amount of ridiculous driving by those in these groups I’ve witnessed just trying to get to my work. i actually think people forget that people live and work up this way. 
Now we are coming through lockdown and the biggest issue is folk camping in lay-bys, graveyards, play parks etc and leaving lots of rubbish, human waste and then heading off to do the same in the next village. Some campsites have opened up and that’s great as they have the facilities and if people choose to wild camp then surely just taking their mess away with them would be nice.

Our area does rely on tourism and most people are friendly and welcoming and it’s great having that buzz about the place, it’s just being respectful.

i know a lot of places here are doing 2 or 3 night minimum stays now and not only is that to do with the Covid cleaning regimes required, but also to encourage people not to race around the NC500 route and actually spend time and enjoy an area at a time.

i drove down to Edinburgh on Wednesday evening and passed a group of Porsche’s going at least 100 mile towards Ullapool then a group of about 20 bikers going at high speed, so was glad I was heading south for a bit. 

Anyway apart from that I hope everyone that heads up has a great time and if anyone wants any local info or advice on where to go then I’m happy to help. 

1 of my favourite places is Smoo cave and Balnakeil beach in Durness

Edited by yvonnejambo

27 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

I disagree, I live in Ullapool which has always been a very busy tourist hotspot before the road got named NC500! 
The issues pre Covid with the NC500 marketing is turning a stunning part of the world into a racetrack. It’s actually mental the amount of sports car and big groups of bikers who go crazy racing around. I have lost count of the amount of ridiculous driving by those in these groups I’ve witnessed just trying to get to my work. i actually think people forget that people live and work up this way. 
Now we are coming through lockdown and the biggest issue is folk camping in lay-bys, graveyards, play parks etc and leaving lots of rubbish, human waste and then heading off to do the same in the next village. Some campsites have opened up and that’s great as they have the facilities and if people choose to wild camp then surely just taking their mess away with them would be nice.

Our area does rely on tourism and most people are friendly and welcoming and it’s great having that buzz about the place, it’s just being respectful.

i know a lot of places here are doing 2 or 3 night minimum stays now and not only is that to do with the Covid cleaning regimes required, but also to encourage people not to race around the NC500 route and actually spend time and enjoy an area at a time.

i drove down to Edinburgh on Wednesday evening and passed a group of Porsche’s going at least 100 mile towards Ullapool then a group of about 20 bikers going at high speed, so was glad I was heading south for a bit. 

Anyway apart from that I hope everyone that heads up has a great time and if anyone wants any local info or advice on where to go then I’m happy to help. 

Sadly thats not exclusive to highlands. Lothians have had a real problem with camping during covid. Problem being the minks leave their mess behind.

Spoils it for those of us that are genuine and take our rubbish home.

yvonnejambo
9 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Sadly thats not exclusive to highlands. Lothians have had a real problem with camping during covid. Problem being the minks leave their mess behind.

Spoils it for those of us that are genuine and take our rubbish home.

It is so disgusting and yes does make it harder for those who are responsible and just want to enjoy a camping holiday. 

37 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

To be fair Ullapool is a busy ferry port so it has been busy for years. I'm talking more rural further north. They really only had farming, fishing working on an estate or B&B as employment opportunities wheras now tourism gives folk in those areas scope to do other things.

I completely agree with the arshole driving and the mucky barstewards who cant even be arse to take their tents home with them far less their shite!

Respect is needed. Give it and it will come back.

Anyway, heading up there from tomorrow so I will be in Ullapool shortly.

yvonnejambo
5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

To be fair Ullapool is a busy ferry port so it has been busy for years. I'm talking more rural further north. They really only had farming, fishing working on an estate or B&B as employment opportunities wheras now tourism gives folk in those areas scope to do other things.

I completely agree with the arshole driving and the mucky barstewards who cant even be arse to take their tents home with them far less their shite!

Respect is needed. Give it and it will come back.

Anyway, heading up there from tomorrow so I will be in Ullapool shortly.

Yeah it does help generate tourists in some more places, but also excludes quite a good few places if people stick to the actual route. (Like missing Lochinver and Kinlochbervie on the NW coast).

Hope you have a great time and I recommend the seafood shack in Ullapool, even if not into shell fish their haddock wrap is awesome. 
You will also pass the house Tynecastle when you come in from the south road. It’s not mine but always a nice thing to see when heading into the village 😁.

My holiday is Penicuik for a few days 😂

2 minutes ago, yvonnejambo said:

Yeah it does help generate tourists in some more places, but also excludes quite a good few places if people stick to the actual route. (Like missing Lochinver and Kinlochbervie on the NW coast).

Hope you have a great time and I recommend the seafood shack in Ullapool, even if not into shell fish their haddock wrap is awesome. 
You will also pass the house Tynecastle when you come in from the south road. It’s not mine but always a nice thing to see when heading into the village 😁.

My holiday is Penicuik for a few days 😂

Thanks Yvonne.

On 13/11/2019 at 21:56, jack D and coke said:

How long does it take to do? So as not to rush it?

Depends what I've eaten. 10 to 15 minutes, or a 2 minute ghostie. 😁

Oh right, you meant the North Coast 500. I've no idea.