Hearts Community Football Dept - Rwanda 2020 Trip

JohnnyPunter01

JohnnyPunter01

Hi All

Chalky from the club’s Community Football Dept here.

A small plea for support coming up.............but sincerely, only if you can 🙂

Some of you may be aware that we took part in a charity trip to Rwanda in 2016. If you didn’t see it, please check out our video here https://youtu.be/FcMvOoHB-sc Further info is on the main club website https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/rwanda-2020 (Our Community Football Dept is run as a not-for-profit arm within the Club)

Simply put, it has been the best community project we’ve been involved in and it was an amazing experience taking Heart of Midlothian to a country that has had significant challenges and tragedy in modern times.

In February 2020 we are going back to deliver specific projects for the benefit of Rwandan communities and in doing so we have invited volunteer grassroots coaches from our own local community clubs, namely, Bonnyrigg Rose, Murieston Utd, Penicuik Athletic, Spartans & Tranent Colts. Why? Because these clubs have demonstrated they are about more than just football and understand the social and personal impact our sport can have on people and communities. While they are making the trip to support others, what they will learn, we hope, will have a positive effect on their own clubs, players and families when they return. Also, some clubs may build on the relationships in Rwanda that Hearts has initially created and develop a legacy of involvement.

From a Hearts point of view, we will be providing free coach education sessions for grassroots volunteers from across the country, so they may take new practices and ideas back to their villages and towns to provide improved sporting opportunities to children & youths. We know this is important as football has an amazing way of connecting people. The Tranent Colts coaches, as another example, will be delivering activity with a school for disabled children in the capital, Kigali. We will all also be taking kit, equipment etc. to donate when we are there.

The Admin Team from Jambos Kickback has very kindly pledged to support the trip to cover the travel and accommodation costs for one of our coach education tutors to the tune of £1300 and we are extremely grateful for this amazing support. Additionally, they have offered us the opportunity to try and attract further donations from the forum, for those that are able and keen to support the initiative as we are currently trying to attract funding for our second coach education tutor. 

Hearts fans and no doubt many JKB users, have supported the Club in so many ways over these past few years so, please, no obligation at all to donate. However if you feel you can spare any amount at all to support our efforts, it would of course be hugely appreciated.

To donate, just click on the link below.

Yours in sport 

Chalky

@ch4lkster

Ps I hope you managed to watch our video. Please also check out the ‘This is Football’ documentary on Amazon Prime. The first episode ‘Redemption’ focuses on the playing fields of post-war Rwanda and how survival was made possible through football. It’s amazing. C

10 hours ago, JohnnyPunter01 said:

Hi All

Some of you may be aware that we took part in a charity trip to Rwanda in 2016. If you didn’t see it, please check out our video here https://youtu.be/FcMvOoHB-sc Further info is on the main club website https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/rwanda-2020 (Our Community Football Dept is run as a not-for-profit arm within the Club)

Simply put, it has been the best community project we’ve been involved in and it was an amazing experience taking Heart of Midlothian to a country that has had significant challenges and tragedy in modern times.

In February 2020 we are going back to deliver specific projects for the benefit of Rwandan communities and in doing so we have invited volunteer grassroots coaches from our own local community clubs, namely, Bonnyrigg Rose, Murieston Utd, Penicuik Athletic, Spartans & Tranent Colts. Why? Because these clubs have demonstrated they are about more than just football and understand the social and personal impact our sport can have on people and communities. While they are making the trip to support others, what they will learn, we hope, will have a positive effect on their own clubs, players and families when they return. Also, some clubs may build on the relationships in Rwanda that Hearts has initially created and develop a legacy of involvement.

From a Hearts point of view, we will be providing free coach education sessions for grassroots volunteers from across the country, so they may take new practices and ideas back to their villages and towns to provide improved sporting opportunities to children & youths. We know this is important as football has an amazing way of connecting people. The Tranent Colts coaches, as another example, will be delivering activity with a school for disabled children in the capital, Kigali. We will all also be taking kit, equipment etc. to donate when we are there.

The Admin Team from Jambos Kickback has very kindly pledged to support the trip to cover the travel and accommodation costs for one of our coach education tutors to the tune of £1300 and we are extremely grateful for this amazing support. Additionally, they have offered us the opportunity to try and attract further donations from the forum, for those that are able and keen to support the initiative as we are currently trying to attract funding for our second coach education tutor. 

Hearts fans and no doubt many JKB users, have supported the Club in so many ways over these past few years so, please, no obligation at all to donate. However if you feel you can spare any amount at all to support our efforts, it would of course be hugely appreciated.

Yours in sport 

Chalky

@ch4lkster

Ps I hope you managed to watch our video. Please also check out the ‘This is Football’ documentary on Amazon Prime. The first episode ‘Redemption’ focuses on the playing fields of post-war Rwanda and how survival was made possible through football. It’s amazing. C

Great stuff.  Proud we're doing this and hope people support.

I used to live in Morocco, and me and a couple of lads did a bit of coaching in the local bidonville (basically shanty towns).  100-2-- barefoot kids coming along and playing in the dirt with huge smiles on their faces.  Football can be such a positive thing when you have very little and all the pissing and moaning we do about our team not being very good can quickly be put into perspective!!!!

W managed to get boots and ball donated by clubs in the UK and the joy when the lads n lasses got a pair of battered old footy boots was tear jerking.

Well done, Chalky.  Enjoy the trip.

Pasquale for King
14 hours ago, JohnnyPunter01 said:

Hi All

Yours in sport 

Chalky

@ch4lkster

Are the club collecting strips etc to take over like a few years back?

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just thinking the same thing Pasquale, I have a few kicking about.

Fantastic initiative as well by the way, proud of the club getting involved in this and a good idea to get kickback to support it. Great effort all round. 

JohnnyPunter01
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Great stuff.  Proud we're doing this and hope people support.

I used to live in Morocco, and me and a couple of lads did a bit of coaching in the local bidonville (basically shanty towns).  100-2-- barefoot kids coming along and playing in the dirt with huge smiles on their faces.  Football can be such a positive thing when you have very little and all the pissing and moaning we do about our team not being very good can quickly be put into perspective!!!!

W managed to get boots and ball donated by clubs in the UK and the joy when the lads n lasses got a pair of battered old footy boots was tear jerking.

Well done, Chalky.  Enjoy the trip.

Thanks bud - yep, football can be amazing sometimes the way it brings people together. Not a blade of grass to play on when we went last time and loads of the kids are ballers because all they do is go out and play with their sandals on on gravel dusty pitches :-)

JohnnyPunter01
27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We have already collected loads of strips from supporters over a period of time and some got handed in after our last trip. We are hoping that the airline may give us some in kind additional luggage space and if that comes off we will put a call out, but until then we will just have to stand by as we want to be able to take what we have :-)

hereford_hearts
36 minutes ago, JohnnyPunter01 said:

We have already collected loads of strips from supporters over a period of time and some got handed in after our last trip. We are hoping that the airline may give us some in kind additional luggage space and if that comes off we will put a call out, but until then we will just have to stand by as we want to be able to take what we have 🙂

My cousin's husband has close ties to a football club in Sierra Leone. He always takes a load of football kit with him when he goes. One of the airlines has a charitable arm, which ships his stuff for free. I will see if I can get contact details for you.

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, JohnnyPunter01 said:

We have already collected loads of strips from supporters over a period of time and some got handed in after our last trip. We are hoping that the airline may give us some in kind additional luggage space and if that comes off we will put a call out, but until then we will just have to stand by as we want to be able to take what we have 🙂

Cool thanks for replying.

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Just thinking the same thing Pasquale, I have a few kicking about.

Fantastic initiative as well by the way, proud of the club getting involved in this and a good idea to get kickback to support it. Great effort all round. 

Indeed, so no collection just now.

1 hour ago, JohnnyPunter01 said:

Thanks bud - yep, football can be amazing sometimes the way it brings people together. Not a blade of grass to play on when we went last time and loads of the kids are ballers because all they do is go out and play with their sandals on on gravel dusty pitches 🙂

I know - the skill level blew me away!  They were doing stuff with a ball at 9 years old I'd never seen before, with all our all-weather pitches, GPS and box soccer etc!!  Couldn't even kick the wee buggers.  And I tried!

JohnnyPunter01
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I know - the skill level blew me away!  They were doing stuff with a ball at 9 years old I'd never seen before, with all our all-weather pitches, GPS and box soccer etc!!  Couldn't even kick the wee buggers.  And I tried!

I took on some 9 year olds playing street football. Megged after 30 seconds and on my arse within a minute 😂

Edited by JohnnyPunter01

On 11/11/2019 at 23:19, JohnnyPunter01 said:

Hi All

Yours in sport 

Chalky

@ch4lkster

Over 10% of target raised so far. 

• davemclaren pinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren unpinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf pinned this topic
JohnnyPunter01

Another pic from the last trip. A lot of kids rely on 2nd hand clothes from markets over the border in Uganda. Our group of coaches will be delivering coaching sessions with similar groups and handing out boots and tops 😊

EEC634FB-F9FD-477D-913C-0449463DACB1.jpeg

On 17/11/2019 at 09:49, JohnnyPunter01 said:

Another pic from the last trip. A lot of kids rely on 2nd hand clothes from markets over the border in Uganda. Our group of coaches will be delivering coaching sessions with similar groups and handing out boots and tops 😊

EEC634FB-F9FD-477D-913C-0449463DACB1.jpeg

:flag1::yas:  I will donate at end of month for this 5/1 photo alone . NLTF 

JohnnyPunter01
9 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

:flag1::yas:  I will donate at end of month for this 5/1 photo alone . NLTF 

Thought you’d like it 😊

Hi All

Yours in sport 

Chalky

@ch4lkster

This will run until 11/12

JohnnyPunter01

Thanks again folks for all the donations so far....really appreciated. 
On the last trip in ‘16 we got up at 5.30am and headed down to meet a load of kids (8-16 years old) who were sleeping rough on an old tip in the town, where we handed out bread, kit, toothbrushes etc. After we left they all got help with accommodation through Comfort International which was good news. This time around we will visit kids in similar situations in Rwanda and meet the organisations doing their best to help them. Again we will aim to hand out kit, trainers etc.

Some pics below of the street kids last time round....

A0CD9956-686B-4F07-AF5D-2ACAD62D75AB.jpeg

67143F25-5D2A-4674-A527-051CF06B121D.jpeg

AA2BD268-06EC-4033-9331-F0D8767806EB.jpeg

5B36382D-755B-4CAB-9B25-B3CA993C663A.jpeg

8AD441B5-7F15-4230-8AEB-EC44DE5B085A.jpeg

14 hours ago, JohnnyPunter01 said:

Thanks again folks for all the donations so far....really appreciated. 
On the last trip in ‘16 we got up at 5.30am and headed down to meet a load of kids (8-16 years old) who were sleeping rough on an old tip in the town, where we handed out bread, kit, toothbrushes etc. After we left they all got help with accommodation through Comfort International which was good news. This time around we will visit kids in similar situations in Rwanda and meet the organisations doing their best to help them. Again we will aim to hand out kit, trainers etc.

Some pics below of the street kids last time round....

A0CD9956-686B-4F07-AF5D-2ACAD62D75AB.jpeg

67143F25-5D2A-4674-A527-051CF06B121D.jpeg

AA2BD268-06EC-4033-9331-F0D8767806EB.jpeg

5B36382D-755B-4CAB-9B25-B3CA993C663A.jpeg

8AD441B5-7F15-4230-8AEB-EC44DE5B085A.jpeg

Must be tough seeing that first hand. 

highlandjambo3
22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Must be tough seeing that first hand. 

I spent a year working in Sierra Leone and yes, it’s a tough ask.  Puts a whole new perspective on things when you get home......a wee bit rain, bus being 5 minutes late, no 4G etc...etc...

10 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I spent a year working in Sierra Leone and yes, it’s a tough ask.  Puts a whole new perspective on things when you get home......a wee bit rain, bus being 5 minutes late, no 4G etc...etc...

👍

Hi All

Yours in sport 

Chalky

@ch4lkster

This is running for another 10 days. 

JohnnyPunter01

...a few more pics from our last visit. We were fortunate enough to to have taken some old Hearts kit with us and managed to hand this out to various teams and individual kids on our journeys to villages and towns.

When we were low on kit we started handing out our own tops etc..

Here’s hoping we can do much of the same this time around 😊🇱🇻🇷🇼

2D7E9042-6363-474E-8B9D-B2A12EAFDCF3.jpeg

117EB210-38FB-4A4E-B5E6-F860233B4C8D.jpeg

9BB74174-A890-4871-A215-3AD757CB02F6.jpeg

74C36867-24C0-4297-B516-BF66D39C11FA.jpeg

Samuel Camazzola
On 01/12/2019 at 12:24, JohnnyPunter01 said:

...a few more pics from our last visit. We were fortunate enough to to have taken some old Hearts kit with us and managed to hand this out to various teams and individual kids on our journeys to villages and towns.

When we were low on kit we started handing out our own tops etc..

Here’s hoping we can do much of the same this time around 😊🇱🇻🇷🇼

2D7E9042-6363-474E-8B9D-B2A12EAFDCF3.jpeg

117EB210-38FB-4A4E-B5E6-F860233B4C8D.jpeg

9BB74174-A890-4871-A215-3AD757CB02F6.jpeg

74C36867-24C0-4297-B516-BF66D39C11FA.jpeg

Well done and all the best with this amazing cause! 

JohnnyPunter01

Afternoon folks.....here’s a wee advanced shot of tonight’s match programme page which is covering the Rwanda trip with a thanks to JKB for the support 😊 🇷🇼 🇱🇻

D25648CE-8BB6-46FD-90F4-5D7DA4D55A0E.jpeg

Hi All

Yours in sport 

Chalky

@ch4lkster

Nearly £650 raised now. 😄

JohnnyPunter01

A quick thanks for all the new and recent donations towards our trip which us getting ever closer 

Your support will really help us make a difference to lots of people when we arrive in Rwanda 🇷🇼 

Hugely appreciated 

Chalky 

JohnnyPunter01
23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Now raised an amazing £850. 

Amazing 🇷🇼🇷🇼🇱🇻🇱🇻👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Maple Leaf unlocked this topic