Prague

Phil Dunphy

Off to Prague again in the morning and fancy picking up a Slavia shirt while I'm away. Was thinking of getting 'Skacel' on the back, what with him playing for Slavia too.

Not sure if this is something anyone has any experience of doing, but worth a shot. Anyone know if this can be done?

Was at the club shop recently. Quite a small place but probably possible.

Off topic but get your erse to the beer museum pub at the river... superb (try not to go to the actual museum.... unusual place)

Thanks for the tips lads.

I was over in 2016 on a guys trip and managed to check out the beer museum. Going with the missus this time, so there's likely going to be more culture and less beer this time round :( 

13 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I was over in 2016 on a guys trip and managed to check out the beer museum. Going with the missus this time, so there's likely going to be more culture and less beer this time round :( 

I went with the Mrs and she loved it. Beers may have changed... maybe worth going for a taster tray atleast :P try the chocolate lager.... shouldn't work but wow

Just now, Jeff said:

I went with the Mrs and she loved it. Beers may have changed... maybe worth going for a taster tray atleast :P try the chocolate lager.... shouldn't work but wow

I could probably swing the beer museum, the BBQ place will be a bit of a stretch though. She's vegetarian :(

We'll be making a trip to the Tavern of Seven Swabians too. If you've never been there, definitely try it out if you're over again. The last time I was over, it was the cheapest beer we found the whole time.

6 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I could probably swing the beer museum, the BBQ place will be a bit of a stretch though. She's vegetarian :(

We'll be making a trip to the Tavern of Seven Swabians too. If you've never been there, definitely try it out if you're over again. The last time I was over, it was the cheapest beer we found the whole time.

Are you on the 07.20 from Edinburgh this morning?......so am I....heading out for work for the week myself.....

Sparta play in Maroon.

Big club shop next to the stadium. And the stadium is worth a wee look, big walls with ultras murals for some smart photos.

Not Slavia of course but the better bet imo.

1 hour ago, moz said:

Are you on the 07.20 from Edinburgh this morning?......so am I....heading out for work for the week myself.....

I am indeed mate. 

32 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Sparta play in Maroon.

Big club shop next to the stadium. And the stadium is worth a wee look, big walls with ultras murals for some smart photos.

Not Slavia of course but the better bet imo.

I picked up a Sparta shirt when I was over the last time. Fancy getting a Slavia one this time. 

11 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I am indeed mate. 

I picked up a Sparta shirt when I was over the last time. Fancy getting a Slavia one this time. 

Safe trip and enjoy......we were last in Prague when we played them in the cup......great trip - sadly this week is work though

im now in the lounge stuffing bacon rolls down....!

53 minutes ago, moz said:

Safe trip and enjoy......we were last in Prague when we played them in the cup......great trip - sadly this week is work though

im now in the lounge stuffing bacon rolls down....!

What's your job? Would love a trip to Prague at this time of year for ehhhh work :D

Love a Prague trip I do.  I got a nice vertical stripe maroon and white Sparta top a few years back, still have it.  The Sparta ground was a slight trek out of the city centre 

36 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

Love a Prague trip I do.  I got a nice vertical stripe maroon and white Sparta top a few years back, still have it.  The Sparta ground was a slight trek out of the city centre 

Bout 20min on tram

Transport in Prague is different class. We ventured to Hradrec Kralove on the train last time for the ice hockey. Was tremendous, best sporting entertainment and atmosphere I've had in ages. £13 a ticket in rink side bucket seats and a waitress bringing beer and food to you. Quality

16 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Report back with suggestions of places to visit please, I fancy going next year.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Report back with suggestions of places to visit please, I fancy going next year.

Millennium and Darlings! 😄 👍 

9 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Bout 20min on tram

Transport in Prague is different class. We ventured to Hradrec Kralove on the train last time for the ice hockey. Was tremendous, best sporting entertainment and atmosphere I've had in ages. £13 a ticket in rink side bucket seats and a waitress bringing beer and food to you. Quality

that sounds good like. I have a good mate who lives there (he’s czech) and he loves the ice hockey...keep meaning to visit 

9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

What sort of things?

I've been a few times now, have some favourite dive bars and locals places.

Sports is great over there as I mentioned above.

Also done an escape room, only one I've ever done with live actors, horror themed was creepy but brilliant entertainment.

I've only been with friends though so if fine dining and romantic sights is your thing can't help so much..

28 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

What sort of things?

I've been a few times now, have some favourite dive bars and locals places.

Sports is great over there as I mentioned above.

Also done an escape room, only one I've ever done with live actors, horror themed was creepy but brilliant entertainment.

I've only been with friends though so if fine dining and romantic sights is your thing can't help so much..

Yeah really looking for cultural things and landmarks etc rather than dive bars.

12 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah really looking for cultural things and landmarks etc rather than dive bars.

Main ones are Wenceslas Square with astronomical clock and Charles bridge are the main ones, both worth seeing but surrounding area are tourist traps

There is a monastery up on the hill overlooking the city that brews different beers that are meant to have tonic properties ie "anti depressant beer" it has a restaurant. Bit touristy but great views over the city

Mosaic House is a relaxed bar/club. It's attached to a 'boutique hostel' it's nice with modern decor and seating. Wouldn't be a bad stop for a couple looking for a bit nightlife while avoiding stag parties etc

If I think of more I'll post

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Main ones are Wenceslas Square with astronomical clock and Charles bridge are the main ones, both worth seeing but surrounding area are tourist traps

There is a monastery up on the hill overlooking the city that brews different beers that are meant to have tonic properties ie "anti depressant beer" it has a restaurant. Bit touristy but great views over the city

Mosaic House is a relaxed bar/club. It's attached to a 'boutique hostel' it's nice with modern decor and seating. Wouldn't be a bad stop for a couple looking for a bit nightlife while avoiding stag parties etc

Cheers :thumbsup: 

7 hours ago, Alan_R said:

That's just beer, no? 🍺🍺🍺  :4_1_111:    (Apart from Carling, naturally...) 

On 12/11/2019 at 13:06, Ray Gin said:

Aside from the usual recommendations you'll get, the castle, the beer museum, etc, there's a bar just down from the castle I can't recommend enough. It's called Tavern by Seven Swabians. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274707-d2395617-Reviews-Tavern_of_seven_Swabians-Prague_Bohemia.html

Went there the first time I was in Prague and made it a priority to go again this time. Fantastic medieval bar that's been there for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Aside from the usual recommendations you'll get, the castle, the beer museum, etc, there's a bar just down from the castle I can't recommend enough. It's called Tavern by Seven Swabians. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274707-d2395617-Reviews-Tavern_of_seven_Swabians-Prague_Bohemia.html

Went there the first time I was in Prague and made it a priority to go again this time. Fantastic medieval bar that's been there for a long, long time.

Looks good. Will check that one out on my next visit.

An an aside the "beer museums" are rubbish imo. There are several but don't let the name sway you, they are just bars that have multiple taps of beer. Which in itself is fine but you'll end up ordering 5 taster glasses of guff. There are plenty better bars serving better beer elsewhere imo.

I enjoyed Beer Story (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274707-d8871690-Reviews-Pipa_Beer_Story-Prague_Bohemia.html)
If anyone is visiting with friends. Good variety of beers and they have big screens for sport while the place still has a czech-feel to it. A million times better than the over priced sports bars full of steaming tourists.
Handmade onion rings were tremendous as well.

Edited by Alan_R

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Sounds good! 

On 12/11/2019 at 06:46, Jeff said:

What's your job? Would love a trip to Prague at this time of year for ehhhh work :D

Yeah, I do like some of the travel...

Had 4 days there and the bonus of sitting next to Bobby on the flight home... nice guy and happy to discuss all things Jambo related, injuries, Levein and new manager names and also signed a photo of my lad and him taken together at the calendar signing session ....made for a quick flight

8 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

been there, it’s a great bar 

14 hours ago, moz said:

Yeah, I do like some of the travel...

Had 4 days there and the bonus of sitting next to Bobby on the flight home... nice guy and happy to discuss all things Jambo related, injuries, Levein and new manager names and also signed a photo of my lad and him taken together at the calendar signing session ....made for a quick flight

You'd have been on my flight home too. The turbulence on the way up was ****ing horrendous.

16 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You'd have been on my flight home too. The turbulence on the way up was ****ing horrendous.

Aye....Friday morning 10.40 flight?.....the lass next to me was obviously not a good flyer and was holding on for dear life 😄.....

Hope you had a good time, I didn’t get into Prague itself but hoping to take the Mrs back at some point as we loved it.....did you do the beer museum thing?

1 minute ago, moz said:

Aye....Friday morning 10.40 flight?.....the lass next to me was obviously not a good flyer and was holding on for dear life 😄.....

Hope you had a good time, I didn’t get into Prague itself but hoping to take the Mrs back at some point as we loved it.....did you do the beer museum thing?

I can't blame her, I hate flying too :laugh: 

Didn't get a chance to go to the beer museum, but managed to fit in pretty much everything else we wanted to do.