Celtic FC - A National Disgrace

JJ93

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

He is British so not sure why he shouldn't work in England. 

He's Irish. No one has said he shouldn't AFAIK, but his principles look rather hypocritical that he would work in a country knowing his tax goes towards the British Army he dislikes so much. He could ply his trade in several other countries. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• Stephane Grappelli

Stephane Grappelli
21 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Not really much of a leap to think a guy from Derry who won't wear a poppy due to an ingrained hatred of the British army feels the same about brits in general. Its edgy to defend him though... 

Not at all.  I think his reasons for not wearing the poppy are well known and quite easy to understand.

Defending him is not so much about being edgy, more about not being a bigot or a poppy fascist.

40 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

He's Irish. No one has said he shouldn't AFAIK, but his principles look rather hypocritical that he would work in a country knowing his tax goes towards the British Army he dislikes so much. He could ply his trade in several other countries. 

Cant say I’m too happy at my taxes funding a massive army either when we have a failing education, health and welfare system. 

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Makes you wonder why he jumped ship to play for the Republic of Ireland. A right teaser that one. 🙄

Lot’s of people play for nations different from their birth or citizenship depending on patents/grandparents/residency and political beliefs may well come into it as well. The island of Ireland does have its own historical issues though as we all know. 

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Lots of my, and other peoples, taxes go towards things we don’t like or approve but we still live and work here. 

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Lot’s of people play for nations different from their birth or citizenship depending on patents/grandparents/residency and political beliefs may well come into it as well. The island of Ireland does have its own historical issues though as we all know. 

Columbo is on the case. 

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Columbo is on the case. 

😎😎 

I was talking in a wider context and not just this one case. 😄

53 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Lots of my, and other peoples, taxes go towards things we don’t like or approve but we still live and work here. 

But would you be comfortable working in a country and paying tax to a foreign government who you thought was oppressing your brothers and sisters?

Basically thinking of that country as an enemy and that you were at war with them?

9 minutes ago, Iconic Idiot said:

But would you be comfortable working in a country and paying tax to a foreign government who you thought was oppressing your brothers and sisters?

Basically thinking of that country as an enemy and that you were at war with them?

When he lived in Northern Ireland he was still paying taxes ( one assumes ) to the same country so I don’t really see much difference. 

Stephane Grappelli

Under the Good Friday Agreement he is entitled to Irish Citizenship, British Citizenship or both.  The ignorance from some on here about this is staggering, especially if they feel so strongly about it.

I am no fan of Celtic or the Green Brigade but I think some of the comments on here are based on bigotry, pure and simple.  When it comes to anything to do with Celtic, Ireland or the Catholic Church some people just can't hide their true colours.  Fortunately it's a minority in our support but it's still there.

Forever Hearts
5 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Under the Good Friday Agreement he is entitled to Irish Citizenship, British Citizenship or both.  The ignorance from some on here about this is staggering, especially if they feel so strongly about it.

I am no fan of Celtic or the Green Brigade but I think some of the comments on here are based on bigotry, pure and simple.  When it comes to anything to do with Celtic, Ireland or the Catholic Church some people just can't hide their true colours.  Fortunately it's a minority in our support but it's still there.

The only bigot prevalent on this thread is James McClean. Nobody else has posted anything remotely bigoted or sectarian so God knows where you get that from. A lazy accusation to throw about considering the subject matter I suppose. 

Stephane Grappelli
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The only bigot prevalent on this thread is James McClean. Nobody else has posted anything remotely bigoted or sectarian so God knows where you get that from. A lazy accusation to throw about considering the subject matter I suppose. 

In what way is he a bigot?  The fact he is even on this thread, supposedly about Celtic, backs up my argument.

If you don't think some of the comments are bigoted, fair enough.  Just shows that we are coming at it from different viewpoints.  Someone even criticised Celtic fans and officials for attending mass in Rome but you're right, no bigotry here.

3 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Not really much of a leap to think a guy from Derry who won't wear a poppy due to an ingrained hatred of the British army feels the same about brits in general. Its edgy to defend him though... 

You don't think that perhaps he experienced things firsthand that might have given him a legitimate gripe somewhere along the line?

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

In what way is he a bigot?  The fact he is even on this thread, supposedly about Celtic, backs up my argument.

If you don't think some of the comments are bigoted, fair enough.  Just shows that we are coming at it from different viewpoints.  Someone even criticised Celtic fans and officials for attending mass in Rome but you're right, no bigotry here.

Ìn what way is McClean a bigot? Seriously? 🙄

57 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Think some were having a dig at a hooped demon superfan, whatever that is, handing the pope a hooped demon top.

A sevco follower giving the queen a Rangers top, or attempting to, would probably get it tight on here also in all fairness.

Think you can have a go at some people without being a raving bigot.

Edited by Boab

14 minutes ago, Boab said:

Think some were having a dig at a hooped demon superfan, whatever that is, handing the pope a hooped demon top.

A sevco follower giving the queen a Rangers top, or attempting to, would probably get it tight on here also in all fairness.

Glad I missed that... jesus, what a total riddy. Up there with Grant Stott giving Liam Gallagher a Hibs top a few years ago. :lol:

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

You don't think that perhaps he experienced things firsthand that might have given him a legitimate gripe somewhere along the line?

I think he's disrespectful and his principles only go as far as money. 

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think he's disrespectful and his principles only go as far as money. 

You don't think that maybe growing up in Derry 30 years ago might have some bearing on how he views UK rule in his homeland? I'm going to suggest that maybe he has good reasons to feel the way he does.

fabienleclerq
17 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

You don't think that maybe growing up in Derry 30 years ago might have some bearing on how he views UK rule in his homeland? I'm going to suggest that maybe he has good reasons to feel the way he does.

Yet he's happy enough to live work and pay taxes here! We are going round in circles hence my first post saying I don't want a ding dong. 

He can choose to do what he likes, he has his reasons not to wear a poppy. I think he's ill informed and disrespectful on that front. He also turned his back on the national anthem iirc, hence my opinion he hates Britain and he's a hypocritic for being here and his principles only go until money is involved. 

You like him/want to defend him/think I'm a "poppy fascist" and think his dislike for the UK is justified. That's fine I disagree, I doubt either of us is going to be swayed into agreeing with each other. 

Forever Hearts
22 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Yet he's happy enough to live work and pay taxes here! We are going round in circles hence my first post saying I don't want a ding dong. 

He can choose to do what he likes, he has his reasons not to wear a poppy. I think he's ill informed and disrespectful on that front. He also turned his back on the national anthem iirc, hence my opinion he hates Britain and he's a hypocritic for being here and his principles only go until money is involved. 

You like him/want to defend him/think I'm a "poppy fascist" and think his dislike for the UK is justified. That's fine I disagree, I doubt either of us is going to be swayed into agreeing with each other. 

10/10 👍

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ìn what way is McClean a bigot? Seriously? 🙄

You clearly know much more about the guy than I do.  I probably wouldn't even know who he was if a bunch of halfwits didn't foam at the mouth at this time of year every year over his decision not to wear a poppy.

2 hours ago, Boab said:

"Last week they've went to Mass in the Vatican" is the quote I'm referring to, where it is listed alongside all the other supposed offences committed by Celtic fans.

Any thread about Celtic and you can guarantee at least one poster who will be all over it. But honest he isn't a bigot in anyway at all

57 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I don’t particularly like him tbh, and I absolutely despise the IRA. When it comes to not wearing a poppy however, I believe it is his right to choose, and I expect there are pretty mitigating circumstances.

I also don’t like being British, and I don’t stand or observe GSTQ as I associate it with colonialism, genocide and slavery.

Just now, Stephane Grappelli said:

You clearly know much more about the guy than I do.  I probably wouldn't even know who he was if a bunch of halfwits didn't foam at the mouth at this time of year every year over his decision not to wear a poppy.

"Last week they've went to Mass in the Vatican" is the quote I'm referring to, where it is listed alongside all the other supposed offences committed by Celtic fans.

Ah, I see. I’m for giving the demons it tight whenever an opportunity arises however. 
Handing IL Papa a sellik tap is an open goal !

Stephane Grappelli
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Ah, I see. I’m for giving the demons it tight whenever an opportunity arises however. 
Handing IL Papa a sellik tap is an open goal !

I agree it is rather naff although I think a lot of teams have done it.  I'm sure Pope John Paul the Second asked for a Hearts top when he came to Scotland in the early 80s.

7 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I agree it is rather naff although I think a lot of teams have done it.  I'm sure Pope John Paul the Second asked for a Hearts top when he came to Scotland in the early 80s.

Sounds like a trap to me. He was no doubt going to use it in some dark kafflik ceremony and bring plagues down upon us or something. Sneaky barsteward.

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Sounds like a trap to me. He was no doubt going to use it in some dark kafflik ceremony and bring plagues down upon us or something. Sneaky barsteward.

LOL 😂 Trouble is if you showed your post to one of the “up to their knees brigade”, they would believe it. 

Forever Hearts
26 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Any thread about Celtic and you can guarantee at least one poster who will be all over it. But honest he isn't a bigot in anyway at all

Who would this be and what has he posted that is bigoted?

I'll leave it with you. 👍

3 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Poles are mental. Glad to be associated with them.

9 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

If he worked in Derry to whom do you think he would pay his taxes?

fabienleclerq
56 minutes ago, Slopes said:

The Pope. 

5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

The Pope. 

I avoided the more obvious “the IRA” answer. 🤭

fabienleclerq
6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I avoided the more obvious “the IRA” answer. 🤭

😂 Damn it! 

Stephane Grappelli
23 hours ago, Slopes said:

They can't seem to answer that question.

On 14/11/2019 at 07:09, fabienleclerq said:

londonderry

Stephane Grappelli
5 hours ago, eyalluvitt said:

35A0291300000578-3658350-image-a-70_1466

Just having his photo taken with Martin McGuinness doesn't make him a bigot.  I know McGuinness met and dealt with some very unsavoury characters, like Ian Paisley for example, but don't tar McLean with that brush just because he met McGuinness.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Just having his photo taken with Martin McGuinness doesn't make him a bigot.  I know McGuinness met and dealt with some very unsavoury characters, like Ian Paisley for example, but don't tar McLean with that brush just because he met McGuinness.

How many people did Ian Paisley blow up? Was he the chief of staff of loyalist paramilitaries? 

Stephane Grappelli
9 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

How many people did Ian Paisley blow up? Was he the chief of staff of loyalist paramilitaries? 

You're coming across as rather naive and blinkered my friend.  Go and read some books on The Troubles or watch some documentaries.  They will answer your questions about Ian Paisley.

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

You're coming across as rather naive and blinkered my friend.  Go and read some books on The Troubles or watch some documentaries.  They will answer your questions about Ian Paisley.

I know all about it. I suggest you go and read about the real Martin McGuinness, you might learn something. 

Stephane Grappelli
3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I know all about it. I suggest you go and read about the real Martin McGuinness, you might learn something. 

I know all about him and the despicable he acts he carried out. 

Your thoughts on the photo below please?

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

7B651A1E-A892-4003-86A6-0441DB1E79C7.jpeg

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I know all about him and the despicable he acts he carried out. 

Your thoughts on the photo below please?

The Queen showing remarkable forgiveness and shaking hands with the man who allegedly murdered her cousin, Lord Mountbatten. Oh, and there was a 14 year old kid blown up that day too but the IRA (McGuinness) still called it a perfect execution. What a wonderful man he was eh?

Governor Tarkin
On 14/11/2019 at 09:45, Stephane Grappelli said:

When it comes to anything to do with Celtic, Ireland or the Catholic Church some people just can't hide their true colours. 

And neither they should.

Stephane Grappelli
3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The Queen showing remarkable forgiveness and shaking hands with the man who allegedly murdered her cousin, Lord Mountbatten. Oh, and there was a 14 year old kid blown up that day too but the IRA (McGuinness) still called it a perfect execution. What a wonderful man he was eh?

So you praise the Queen for meeting him bit if James McClean meets him he's a bad guy?  Such hypocrisy, such double standards.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

So you praise the Queen for meeting him bit if James McClean meets him he's a bad guy?  Such hypocrisy, such double standards.

There is a bit of a difference between a conciliatory meeting between former mortal enemies and posing for a thumbs-up selfie with your all-time favourite murdering provo.

Stephane Grappelli
15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

And neither they should.

Well said.  Bigots should expose themselves at all times so that everyone can see how thick and ignorant they are.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Stephane Grappelli said:

Well said.  Bigots should expose themselves at all times so that everyone can see how thick and ignorant they are.

:spoton:

Stephane Grappelli
13 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There is a bit of a difference between a conciliatory meeting between former mortal enemies and posing for a thumbs-up selfie with your all-time favourite murdering provo.

Perhaps the meeting with James McClean was conciliatory too.  Who knows?

• Maple Leaf locked this topic