Statement from Gorgie Boys Ultras - Singing Section to return?

Alex Kintner

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Billy boys is looking positively tame now !

😂

🤣 looking back I can see why we weren’t the most popular of supports 😀

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Boab

• GinRummy

• Governor Tarkin

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Mickey Weir’s erse being up for rent.....will it get by the censors ?

:sadrobbo:

:interehjrling:

Remember singing that at home and away games back in the Gorgie aggro days.. FTH.

Edited by maroonlegions

6 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Classic.Was singing it at work recently.Hibbies asking what Peter Cormack had to do with Vietnam.

Told them he just happened to be around at the time.😎

Whoever came up with those lyrics😄should have be awarded a grammy

Not even sure he was that way inclined! Nor Gordon Rae for that matter😀

Allocate each stand a song, (lyric sheet provided). It's then the responsibility of those in that stand to start their chant each game and have it spread to the rest of the ground. 

willie wallace
42 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Not even sure he was that way inclined! Nor Gordon Rae for that matter😀

Probably not😁

12 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

:interehjrling:

Remember singing that at home and away games back in the Gorgie aggro days.. FTH.

Francis Albert

The Gorgie Boys Ultras agenda is to recreate a mythical Tynecastle of the past where the crowd created a vibrant and intimidating atmosphere which transmitted itself to the players. In over 55 years of attending Tynecastle I somehow missed it. When I first started going unaccompanied by my dad I  stood in the Shed (the old one before the bench seating went in) and briefly joined in the singing before I realised how pointless and pathetic it was. A couple of hundred together thought they were creating atmosphere when in fact outside the shed and on the open terracing and in the old stand they could barely be heard in the "crowds" of 7000 or 8000 (often smaller, sometimes much smaller) rattling around in a 49000 capacity ground which could hardly have intimidated a convent school outing. Not even with the Sash, Derry's Walls etc.

Tynecastle did rock but really only inspired by something good happening on the pitch, fairly rare in the late 60s and in the 70's. Mostly it has always been as it is now.We sing when we are winning!

As for the Ultras aspirations, I can get that. Reading about real Ultras I can see the attraction of being deliberately and provocatively offensive - like the Verona fans in Tim Parks book who spent the away journey deciding what would most offend and outrage the home fans.Ah, there was recently a major earthquake killing thousands near the town … a few songs about that will get them going. Like the famine is over or Big Jock knew or pedo chants or oh the hibees are gay (the last more spontaneous than plotted and more offensive in retrospect than it was at the time). But in an age when being offensive is defined merely by some somewhere being offended, or indeed just claiming to be offended, offending people is no longer acceptable, in football or elsewhere.

Edited by Francis Albert

Just now, Francis Albert said:

The Gorgie Boys Ultras agenda is to recreate a mythical Tynecastle of the past where the crowd created a vibrant and intimidating atmosphere which transmitted itself to the players. In over 55 years of attending Tynecastle I somehow missed it. When I first started going unaccompanied by my dad I  stood in the Shed (the old one before the bench seating went in) and briefly joined in the singing before I realised how pointless and pathetic it was. A couple of hundred together thought they were creating atmosphere when in fact outside the shed and on the open terracing and in the old stand they could barely be heard in the "crowds" of 7000 or 8000 (often smaller, sometimes much smaller) rattling around in a 49000 capacity ground which could hardly have intimidated a convent school outing. Not even with the Sash, Derry's Walls etc.

Tynecastle did rock but really only inspired by something good happening on the pitch, fairly rare in the late 60s and in the 70's. Mostly it has always been as it is now.We sing when we are winning!

As for the Ultras aspirations, I can get that. Reading about real Ultras I can see the attraction of being deliberately and provocatively offensive - like the Verona fans in Tim Parks book who spent the away journey deciding what would most offend and outrage the home fans.Ah, there was recently a major earthquake killing thousands near the town … a few songs about that will get them going. Like the famine is over or Big Jock knew or pedo chants or oh the hibees are gay (the last more spontaneous than plotted and more offensive in retrospect than it was at the time). But in an age when being offensive is defined merely by some somewhere being offended, or indeed just claiming to be offended, offending people is no longer acceptable, in football or elsewhere.

With respect, citing the Brigate Gialloblu is as bad an example as you can get. They have had a history of offensive behaviour and actions that have exceeded most Ultra groups in Italy. 
I don’t think the young guys are trying to recreate anything as, you’re right in some respect, it wasn’t really there for the most part. Anyone of a certain age will remember many games where, as you say, 6000 or so were rattling about Tynecastle. The crucial difference between then and now was there was an area where the more vocal fans could congregate. 
I would say they are more inspired by what they see at other Scottish grounds, rather than what happened in the past at Tynecastle or what happens abroad. They want a piece of that action, imo.

As for offence, unpalatable to some maybe, but lose the tribal nature of football and it becomes just another sport.

I don’t fancy that, tbh.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Boab said:

With respect, citing the Brigate Gialloblu is as bad an example as you can get. They have had a history of offensive behaviour and actions that have exceeded most Ultra groups in Italy. 
I don’t think the young guys are trying to recreate anything as, you’re right in some respect, it wasn’t really there for the most part. Anyone of a certain age will remember many games where, as you say, 6000 or so were rattling about Tynecastle. The crucial difference between then and now was there was an area where the more vocal fans could congregate. 
I would say they are more inspired by what they see at other Scottish grounds, rather than what happened in the past at Tynecastle or what happens abroad. They want a piece of that action, imo.

As for offence, unpalatable to some maybe, but lose the tribal nature of football and it becomes just another sport.

I don’t fancy that, tbh.

Another difference is that the old "singing section" did not have an evangelizing agenda about spreading the singing to the whole ground. I found the patronising line about accepting other fans just wanted to watch the game and leave slightly offensive which is fine - I don't object to being offended. But what are you supposed to do at the end of the game . Stay for more singing and displays? And there is an implication in "just want to watch the game" that you are not involved and that you don't contribute unless you are singing and "displaying". And  those of us not distracted by exhibitionism may actually be focused more on the game and more emotionally involved.

And you misread me if you think I agree with modern horror of offending people. The famine is over song was IMO a reasonable response to the sight and sound of thousands of Celtic fans banging on endlessly about the Irish victims of British atrocities in Ireland in a Scottish football ground. It was aimed not at Irish people or Irish people living here in general but at specific group of largely  faux Irish who deserved to be (equally faux) offended.

Edited by Francis Albert

15 hours ago, scratchy said:

Allocate each stand a song, (lyric sheet provided). It's then the responsibility of those in that stand to start their chant each game and have it spread to the rest of the ground. 

Far better to have a rondo, with each stand all singing their line of the tune at the same time, perhaps also with a section of the  main stand adding the harmonies, no?

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Far better to have a rondo, with each stand all singing their line of the tune at the same time, perhaps also with a section of the  main stand adding the harmonies, no?

Interviews for conductor and Mind the flags as well

Image result for the proms conductor

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Another difference is that the old "singing section" did not have an evangelizing agenda about spreading the singing to the whole ground. I found the patronising line about accepting other fans just wanted to watch the game and leave slightly offensive which is fine - I don't object to being offended. But what are you supposed to do at the end of the game . Stay for more singing and displays? And there is an implication in "just want to watch the game" that you are not involved and that you don't contribute unless you are singing and "displaying". And  those of us not distracted by exhibitionism may actually be focused more on the game and more emotionally involved.

And you misread me if you think I agree with modern horror of offending people. The famine is over song was IMO a reasonable response to the sight and sound of thousands of Celtic fans banging on endlessly about the Irish victims of British atrocities in Ireland in a Scottish football ground. It was aimed at a not at Irish people or Irish people living here in general but at specific group of largely  faux Irish who deserved to be (equally faux) offended.

I agree. That’s the tribal nature of football fans. That particular song didn’t offend me in the slightest, not many do. You’re right, it was directed at the very people you speak of.

I didn’t find the statement patronising at all. It would be easy to dissect and criticise the way it was written. I won’t do that as they are only trying to improve the whole match day experience for a younger generation. 
I fear it won’t succeed as there will always be something that people will find offensive and, these days, that is much harder to ignore. They are not going away but the acceptance part puzzles me. If it goes too far, they’ll know about it.

Francis Albert, I too have supported hearts for roughly the same amount of time  as you.i too stood in the shed with my mates aged about 13 and what an eye opener it was.granted in a lot of the smaller games the atmosphere left a bit to be desired,but was still better than the last 3 or 4 years of the present.the shed was deafening when in full flow , how you state that you could hardly hear it out with is crazy.a great bunch of lads frequented it,lads that I still keep in touch with all these years later.

10 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Interviews for conductor and Mind the flags as well

Image result for the proms conductor

Looks like last night of the proms when we play Celtic!

Doctor FinnBarr
On 13/11/2019 at 19:44, larbertjambo said:

As an (almost) 63 year old with poor memory of more recent times I'm sure it was first sung at east fife away in 78. It was our new year fixture as stuck in div 1. 2nd Jan according to london hearts. Heavy snow during game so we all started singing white xmas. Not a great time watching hearts back then. 

I honestly can't remember it being sung at Bayview but I could be wrong, first I remember hearing it was in a SC game at Broomfield about the same year I think. Game had been called off twice I think then I think we won 3-2........in the snow, which is where I remember hearing it first

On 11/11/2019 at 10:04, Ray Gin said:

That's the reason they want the lowers. Harder to reach the pitch with their pyros from the upper sections, and near impossible to launch stuff at the opposition support.

Suspect club just selling them least desired section. Uppers more popular. 

Back of upper will generate more noise though. 

On 11/11/2019 at 07:55, Phil D. Corners said:

I’m with this. I would support this but in the Gorgie stand. Most Germans teams are set up with the standing section and away fans at opposite ends. The signing battle over the pitch is what brings the atmosphere. 

Start with section Z and see how it grows. 

my views exactly. It’d mean it would be all about supporting the team rather than antagonising away fans / chucking flares. More would get on board if that was case. Especially if some standing element. Make gorgie suite a huge fan bar. Job done

• 3 weeks later...

There's yer Gorgie Boys Ultras with a big **** off 'GORGIE BOYS ULTRAS' flag in Lower G. The guy taking it in and waving it about looks mid 40's ffs :lol: lots of young looking kids around him too.

Ultras ffs. How tragic.

julienbrellier

They are willing to go and watch that pish home and away every week and try and create a bit of atmosphere. Fairplay to them.

Serge Pizzorno
2 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

They are willing to go and watch that pish home and away every week and try and create a bit of atmosphere. Fairplay to them.

Are they but?

10 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

They didn't sing one song the full game. Lad banged on the drums for a grand total of about 36 seconds...

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Thought their "protests" were a bit weird. "Fans not criminals". Has anyone accused them of being criminals? And then the "Twenty's plenty" thing too. Do they not realise we've more important things to be worrying about?!

1 minute ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Thought their "protests" were a bit weird. "Fans not criminals". Has anyone accused them of being criminals? And then the "Twenty's plenty" thing too. Do they not realise we've more important things to be worrying about?!

Turning into a Maroon Brigade. 🤔

4 hours ago, AndyNic said:

There's yer Gorgie Boys Ultras with a big **** off 'GORGIE BOYS ULTRAS' flag in Lower G. The guy taking it in and waving it about looks mid 40's ffs :lol: lots of young looking kids around him too.

Ultras ffs. How tragic.

Really, lads jus trying to create an atmosphere and do something different. As opposed to the same boring 2 songs hearts fans always sing, hearts song and the Europe song which I ****in hate as it hasn't been relevant to us for years. I honestly wish there was a lot more of them but in all honesty I don't think a lot of young lads are interested given the fact the team is guff and they are surrounded by probably the most boring and bland support in Britain at the moment. 

4 hours ago, AndyNic said:

Ultras ffs. How tragic.

Fair play to them they are trying. 

What’s the not criminals banner all about though :laugh: 

59 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Even their banner was pish-not as pish as the product on the park mind

2 minutes ago, obua said:

Am I slower than I think, what’s the twenty plenty meaning.

No you are not slow.

Worse.

You are pretending to be.

Leave the bairns alone .

Ffs when I think of the schemies that followed Hearts of which I was one.

Seriously give the bairns a break.

41 minutes ago, Morph said:

Fair play to them they are trying. 

What’s the not criminals banner all about though :laugh: 

I dont want to poke fun but I shuddered when I thought of any of them doing time.

• 4 weeks later...
Serge Pizzorno

They’re back with another great statement. 

Bit hypocritical for a ‘singing section’ who don’t seem to like singing. 

Edited by Serge Pizzorno

...a bit disco
52 minutes ago, Serge Pizzorno said:

:rofl:

If Ann Budge has really promised them all that, and I have my doubts, then she really has lost it.

Who knew waving non Hearts flags and singing non-Hearts songs would result in people not wanting to be in that section?

Absolutely stunned to the core. 

Serge Pizzorno
3 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Who knew waving non Hearts flags and singing non-Hearts songs would result in people not wanting to be in that section?

Absolutely stunned to the core. 

But it’s atmusfeer!

Governor Tarkin
On 14/11/2019 at 06:21, Boab said:

I don’t fancy that, tbh.

Nailed it, boab.

Plus they never seem to be seen outside of newco celtic and hibs games that often.   Need to start more hearts songs and get the stadium involved.   From section N it just seems to be a drum banging some tune no one has heard before.    I like the flags and young lads trying to create an atmosphere, but it seems a disorganised section.  Get some consistancy for every game and cut out the UJs that appear v celtic n hibs, it must put people off joining. 

On 10/11/2019 at 15:39, Biffa Bacon said:

No Hibbee blood or anyone's blood. Leave the song out of the songbook and there is no debate.You know others will see it as a green light for sectarian pish. there are plenty of songs to get the atmosphere going without this.

AFAI remember the original words are:

Hello, Hello, we are the Gorgie boys.

Hello, Hello, you'll know us by our noise.

On Saturdays you'll hear us from Tynecastle to Dalry

When we go marching through Gorgie.

No blood involved.

Huns stole it and perverted it as is their way.

Edited by jambone

Same thing will happen time and time again. 
The 3-games-a-season hangers on Neds will over do it and ruin it for everyone...whilst the weekly attendees from this group will be trying their asses off. I hope their self-policing is top notch!

Alex Kintner
5 hours ago, Serge Pizzorno said:

link?

If they want to be taken seriously they need to start showing up for every home game not just the big ones

7 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

If they want to be taken seriously they need to start showing up for every home game not just the big ones

I think that about many of the posters on JKB

...a bit disco
12 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I think that about many of the posters on JKB

Controversial.

But valid.  :whistling:

Bridge of Djoum
On 04/12/2019 at 19:35, obua said:

Am I slower than I think, what’s the twenty plenty meaning.

They are greatly concerned about the plight of speeding in Edinburgh.

Considering these boys tickets are paid for by their parents I assume the 20’s plenty thing was organized by mum and dad?

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

Alex Kintner

Assuming the statement was deleted? Original link doesn’t work and can’t find any trace of it online.

• davemclaren locked this topic