CD’s and LP’s

Morgan

Afternoon all,

I’m looking for some help here.

Does anyone know of a shop, or shops, in Edinburgh that take in (purchase) CD’s and LP’s?

We have literally hundreds of them that we will never use again, and don’t want to just fling them out.

Thanks in advance.

You won't get much for taking them to a shop as they will knock you down to next to nothing.

Ebay is best if you want to get the maximum return - especially if some are rare and worth something.  That is probably a hassle you don't want though.

If you just want rid of them then try charity shops like Oxfam Music in Stockbridge.

Edited by frankblack

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You won't get much for taking them to a shop as they will knock you down to next to nothing.

Ebay is best if you want to get the maximum return - especially if some are rare and worth something.  That is probably a hassle you don't want though.

If you just want rid of them then try charity shops like Oxfam Music in Stockbridge.

Ok, thanks Frank.  :thumbsup:

been here before
33 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Afternoon all,

Does anyone know of a shop, or shops, in Edinburgh that take in (purchase) CD’s and LP’s?

We have literally hundreds of them that we will never use again, and don’t want to just fling them out.

Thanks in advance.

Music Magpie, Gumtree maybe.

Youll not make a fortune mind but maybe a few sheckels.

Edited by been here before

Just now, been here before said:

Gumtree maybe.

Good one.  Thanks.

I assume we would have to do that through our UK address?

So, already it’s not looking like shops are a good idea.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Music Magpie, Gumtree maybe.

Youll not make a fortune mind but maybe a few sheckels.

Never heard of Music Magpie but will investigate.

Thanks for adding this to your reply, appreciated.

been here before
34 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good one.  Thanks.

I assume we would have to do that through our UK address?

So, already it’s not looking like shops are a good idea.

Aye its essentially just the modern version of sticking an advert in the paper.

Aye its essentially just the modern version of sticking an advert in the paper.

Thanks again.

I’ve already looked at their site and aren’t sure it would be worth the hassle of bringing all the stuff over, just to make a few bob.

Maybe best to just give them to a charity shop here to get shot of them all.

been here before
38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Never heard of Music Magpie but will investigate.

Thanks for adding this to your reply, appreciated.

Nae bother. Im not sure if MM do vinyl but they might take some CDs off you. You can scan the barcodes using your phone.

Edited by been here before

Nae bother. Im not sure if MM do vinyl but they might take some CDs off you. 

Yep, no mention of vinyl on their site but there definitely is a CD and DVD section.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Nae bother. Im not sure if MM do vinyl but they might take some CDs off you. You can scan the barcodes using your phone.

Just got your edit.

That’s very interesting, thank you.

19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Music Magpie will take the stuff off you and put it on ebay for a tidy profit!

Ah, ok!!

Think I'll just give them to a charity shop or, for simplicity, bin the feckin things!

Cheers, Frank.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks again.

I’ve already looked at their site and aren’t sure it would be worth the hassle of bringing all the stuff over, just to make a few bob.

Maybe best to just give them to a charity shop here to get shot of them all.

It'll make a change for the punters there to see records that aren't Johnny Hallyday anyway. ;)

Just now, redjambo said:

It'll make a change for the punters there to see records that aren't Johnny Hallyday anyway. ;)

Or old Charlie Hasnovoice!

They did used to love a wee bit Johnny Hadhisday though.  :lol:

Just now, Morgan said:

Or old Charlie Hasnovoice!

They did used to love a wee bit Johnny Hadhisday though.  :lol:

I remember I went to my first French market and was bowled over by the vast number of Johhny Hallyday T-shirts on sale. :D

Don't bin those records! They might still give someone some joy - any second hand record shop will take them off your hands with pleasure. You'll be hanging on to the REO Speedwagon ones of course?

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I remember I went to my first French market and was bowled over by the vast number of Johhny Hallyday T-shirts on sale. :D

Don't bin those records! They might still give someone some joy - any second hand record shop will take them off your hands with pleasure. You'll be hanging on to the REO Speedwagon ones of course?

Naturally.

I keep them with the 'Tommy photos'.  

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Naturally.

I keep them with the 'Tommy photos'.  

Aw. :) You're a sensitive man under that callous unloving exterior.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the Mediterranean autumn!

Just now, redjambo said:

Aw. :) You're a sensitive man under that callous unloving exterior.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the Mediterranean autumn!

Bit more wintry than autumny today, but an improved forecast from Tuesday. 21 degrees, they're saying.  That'll do me!

33 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Bit more wintry than autumny today, but an improved forecast from Tuesday. 21 degrees, they're saying.  That'll do me!

Sweet. 👍

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

My negative posts above are caused by a mate who was short of money and needed to raise cash and sold some things he regretted for a piss poor price.  He felt badly ripped off by a well known second hand record shop which I won't name.

been here before
28 minutes ago, frankblack said:

My negative posts above are caused by a mate who was short of money and needed to raise cash and sold some things he regretted for a piss poor price.  He felt badly ripped off by a well known second hand record shop which I won't name.

Vinyl Villans by any chance?

Try www.discogs.com even if it's just to get an idea of the value of your collection or individual items you will find it there, very user friendly, you can open an account and sell online if you so wish.

It's a worldwide database with 1000's of collectors and dealers, there's quite a large contingent of buyers and sellers from France.

They also have an app on Google playstore, worth a look...

Edited by corkie64

10 hours ago, corkie64 said:

Try www.discogs.com even if it's just to get an idea of the value of your collection or individual items you will find it there, very user friendly, you can open an account and sell online if you so wish.

It's a worldwide database with 1000's of collectors and dealers, there's quite a large contingent of buyers and sellers from France.

They also have an app on Google playstore, worth a look...

Thanks very much indeed!

That sounds a distinct possibility.

On 10/11/2019 at 13:03, Morgan said:

Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance.

To echo what someone else said, Discogs is where to go - not eBay. Discogs is an economic case study in itself - they reason its so big for sellers is they don't regulate P&P - and buyers are suckers for P&P once they've committed to a purchase. 

Weirdly, the founder of this international platform is based in Edinburgh, just off Easter Road. 

27 minutes ago, Deodato said:

To echo what someone else said, Discogs is where to go - not eBay. Discogs is an economic case study in itself - they reason its so big for sellers is they don't regulate P&P - and buyers are suckers for P&P once they've committed to a purchase. 

Weirdly, the founder of this international platform is based in Edinburgh, just off Easter Road. 

Thanks, Deodato.

This sounds very much like my best bet so far.

50 minutes ago, Deodato said:

The majority of sellers have their p&p rates up for all to see, but admittedly there is a small minority who attempt to take advantage.

If after making a purchase and you find the sellers p&p rates expensive, then you just send a request asking them to cancel your order.

I've used this site off and on for 2/3 years now and never had a problem. 

Edited by corkie64

On 10/11/2019 at 13:03, Morgan said:

Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance.

Your local charity shop could put them to use.

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Your old Osmond records.might be worth a couple of quid, no doubt you still have the Donny posters also.

Hi there!  :wave1:

I’m assuming your post was for my benefit?  It’s so hard to tell with you as you just randomly type something into a thread!  Almost ‘out of the blue’ if you will.

Anyway, have you ever considered stand-up?  If not, you jolly well should, you’re a natural.  :thumbsup:

Your full potential will arrive so much quicker once you’ve grasped the basics of the English language.  Keep practising.  👍. You’ll be a revelation, believe me.

Anyway, thanks for your input to the thread, much appreciated.  :thumb:

Crazy Horses eh?  An all-time classic.  :) 

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

That's better captain, its a fans forum I don’t care a Donald duck about grammar.

That much is obvious.

:thumbsup:

ps. The ‘Quote’ tab is your friend.  

Enjoy the learning process.