Remembrance Sunday

Geoff Kilpatrick

maroonlegions

Between August and November 1914, sixteen Heart of Midlothian Football Club players enlisted to fight in World War I. In doing so, they became the first British team to sign up en masse.

The majority joined the 16th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Scots, otherwise known as McCrae's Battalion. On the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the British Army lost nearly 20,000 men, including ;

Between August and November 1914, sixteen Heart of Midlothian Football Club players enlisted to fight in World War I. In doing so, they became the first British team to sign up en masse.

The majority joined the 16th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Scots, otherwise known as McCrae's Battalion.

On the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the British Army lost nearly 20,000 men, including three of Hearts footballers who had signed up.

The war ended up claiming the lives of seven of the Hearts players who had enlisted, with several others returning so severely wounded they were unable to play football again.

James Speedie – killed in action, 25 September 1915

Tom Gracie – died on service, 23 October 1915

Duncan Currie – killed in action, 1 July 1916

Harry Wattie – killed in action, 1 July 1916

Ernest Ellis – killed in action, 1 July 1916

James Boyd – killed in action, 3 August 1916

John Allan – killed in action, 22 April 1917

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them. 

Lest we forget.

75407625_2445585945717006_1404318576235511808_o.jpg

Edited by maroonlegions

Sexton Hardcastle

A terrible thing the whole Remembrance Day/occasion has been hijacked. Some of the pictures at yesterday’s English games didn’t sit so well with people dressed up as Poppy’s and other quite strange stuff.

Really seems to be being forced down people’s throats more and more each year and a competition to our do one and other.

Poor turnout today. 

I think it's time to hold our service within Tynecastle Park. 

Edinburgh Council will not budge in shutting down Haymarket.

Just now, dannymack said:

Poor turnout today. 

I think it's time to hold our service within Tynecastle Park. 

Edinburgh Council will not budge in shutting down Haymarket.

I think Haymarket is the most appropriate location given that’s where the club war memorial is. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think Haymarket is the most appropriate location given that’s where the club war memorial is. 

Agreed.

40 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Of course it is.  :2thumbsup:

Governor Tarkin
40 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Good turnout I thought. I laid a wreath on behalf of Jamboskickback. 

I popped back for a look after the crowd had gone and spotted that, Dave. 👍

I must admit, even as a devout atheist, the sound of a Salvation army brass band and the low murmur of 'Abide With Me' across the still streets is incredibly poignant. 

Well done everyone involved.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Mike Tyson said:

Hope the club don't use it to peddle their current agenda like last year. Treat this with the respect it deserves.

Would you care to elaborate?

47 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

For years I opposed the possibility for the service to be held within Tynecastle Park but over the last 3/4 years since we DID have it in there I've swayed my opinion. Ideally we could hold the service in the ground and march with The Salvation Army down to the Memorial Clock to end the service there, people would have the choice to do so or disperse after Tynecastle.

Yet again the service was disrupted for the public who weren't able to gain a vantage point on the Morrison Street side of the Memorial Island.

1 hour ago, Mike Tyson said:

Hope the club don't use it to peddle their current agenda like last year. Treat this with the respect it deserves.

I must have missed this can you explain what you mean ?

I thought it was a good turnout as people on Morrison St, outside Ryries, the Royal Scots club and the Indian restaurant. Great service as always by Andy and seemed to be even more wreathes than usual. Great to see Petrie, Robinson, Deans etc but no Budge or Levein. Really well organised as always by the club

19 minutes ago, dannymack said:

For years I opposed the possibility for the service to be held within Tynecastle Park but over the last 3/4 years since we DID have it in there I've swayed my opinion. Ideally we could hold the service in the ground and march with The Salvation Army down to the Memorial Clock to end the service there, people would have the choice to do so or disperse after Tynecastle.

Yet again the service was disrupted for the public who weren't able to gain a vantage point on the Morrison Street side of the Memorial Island.

100pc agree

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

A terrible thing the whole Remembrance Day/occasion has been hijacked. Some of the pictures at yesterday’s English games didn’t sit so well with people dressed up as Poppy’s and other quite strange stuff.

Really seems to be being forced down people’s throats more and more each year and a competition to our do one and other.

This. It's become so crass and in some cases it's little more than a display. Just keep it tasteful for goodness sake.

Scnorthedinburgh
2 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Nice touch by lothian buses at 11. The bus stopped at the lights changed its destination board to We will remember them

Just at Haymarket or all over, now thinking hard for you to know the second part.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Would you care to elaborate?

They decided to take time out of last years speech to call out the fans who abused Lennon at the derby a few days before the service. 

3 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

On the first day of the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the British Army lost nearly 20,000 men, including three of Hearts footballers who had signed up.

The war ended up claiming the lives of seven of the Hearts players who had enlisted, with several others returning so severely wounded they were unable to play football again.

James Speedie – killed in action, 25 September 1915

Tom Gracie – died on service, 23 October 1915

Duncan Currie – killed in action, 1 July 1916

Harry Wattie – killed in action, 1 July 1916

Ernest Ellis – killed in action, 1 July 1916

James Boyd – killed in action, 3 August 1916

John Allan – killed in action, 22 April 1917

3 on the first day of the Somme yes, but we also lost a 4th at the Battle of the Somme, he was Private James Boyd, who was wounded and then posted missing on the 3rd August 1916 near High Wood, near the village of Bazentin-le-Petit on the Somme battlefield.

Like his 3 team mates who were killed on the first day, James Boyd has no known grave, and he is commemorated alongside his 3 team mates at the Thiepval Memorial for those who were killed during the Somme battle and have no known grave.

However unlike his 3 team mates whose bodies were either never found or identified, James' body was found and identified and presumably buried but unfortunately his precise burial location isn’t recorded.

His body was identified by his identity disc & pay book and he was found lying outside of a trench in the vicinity of High Wood towards the end of September 1916 by a Sgt. J. Fuge of the 8th Btn Durham Light Infantry who was in charge of a burial party.

James is most likely buried in either the London Cemetery or the Thistle Dump Cemetery both located in the vicinity of High Wood or perhaps in one of the numerous other cemeteries which are dotted all over the area.  

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/high-wood/

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

I thought it was a good turnout as people on Morrison St, outside Ryries, the Royal Scots club and the Indian restaurant. Great service as always by Andy and seemed to be even more wreathes than usual. Great to see Petrie, Robinson, Deans etc but no Budge or Levein. Really well organised as always by the club

Scots Guards not the Royal Scots 😉

My big bug bear is that when I attended as a wee boy everyone was together , albeit there was the players and about a dozen other folk attending . Now keeping the players and supporters separated it feels like it’s an us and them . 

We Will Remember 

42 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

3 on the first day of the Somme yes, but we also lost a 4th at the Battle of the Somme, he was Private James Boyd, who was wounded and then posted missing on the 3rd August 1916 near High Wood, near the village of Bazentin-le-Petit on the Somme battlefield.

Like his 3 team mates who were killed on the first day, James Boyd has no known grave, and he is commemorated alongside his 3 team mates at the Thiepval Memorial for those who were killed during the Somme battle and have no known grave.

However unlike his 3 team mates whose bodies were either never found or identified, James' body was found and identified and presumably buried but unfortunately his precise burial location isn’t recorded.

His body was identified by his identity disc & pay book and he was found lying outside of a trench in the vicinity of High Wood towards the end of September 1916 by a Sgt. J. Fuge of the 8th Btn Durham Light Infantry who was in charge of a burial party.

James is most likely buried in either the London Cemetery or the Thistle Dump Cemetery both located in the vicinity of High Wood or perhaps in one of the numerous other cemeteries which are dotted all over the area.  

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/high-wood/

James was part of the commemoration by what was then East Coast Railways 

IMG_20191110_150421.jpg

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Good turnout I thought. I laid a wreath on behalf of Jamboskickback. 

You stood directly in front of me Dave and never said hello 😢

30 minutes ago, Jambo Hardhat said:

You stood directly in front of me Dave and never said hello 😢

Kickback diva, forgot his roots already 😥

simple but moving, great that the club continues with this tradition, my great grandfather went out with McCrae's battalion but didn't make it back, although it seems a long time ago its still close enough to have an effect 

A few years back a group of us went over to the Somme area to visit Contalmasion ect . Whilst visiting one of the countless cemeteries I got quite emotional which then turned to anger, I thought to myself , so this is it a stone with your name ( if you were lucky) age ect , that's it!!. The reason for my anger was all these poor souls slaughtered and still!! mankind has not learned the lesson "The war to end all wars" they were told unfortunately not. My grandfather fought at the Somme and got a "blighty wound" he was one of the lucky ones. Lest we forget indeed.

Hearts always do the remembrance proud remembering the history of our club one of the things I love about the team I support love lest we forget we will remember them 🇬🇧

4 hours ago, micole said:

A few years back a group of us went over to the Somme area to visit Contalmasion ect . Whilst visiting one of the countless cemeteries I got quite emotional which then turned to anger, I thought to myself , so this is it a stone with your name ( if you were lucky) age ect , that's it!!. The reason for my anger was all these poor souls slaughtered and still!! mankind has not learned the lesson "The war to end all wars" they were told unfortunately not. My grandfather fought at the Somme and got a "blighty wound" he was one of the lucky ones. Lest we forget indeed.

You are so very correct, their unnecessary sacrifice still brings tears to my eyes.

Trench warfare, hunger, cold, fleas, then go to your death ?

It still happens, mankind are a horrible species.

August Landmesser
32 minutes ago, weehammy said:

2 mins silence at 11.00 at the gym this morning. Announced in advance and well observed.

Except, inevitably, for two airheads ( one of each gender) who carried on pounding away at the cross trainers. 

Tbf, a gym is a weird place for a minute's silence. 

On 10/11/2019 at 13:41, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Just at Haymarket or all over, now thinking hard for you to know the second part.

Lothian Buses have been programmed to change the display at 11:00 on Remembrance Sunday for the last few years. 

18 hours ago, micole said:

I visited the Somme in 2004 and walked through as many cemeteries as possible, but I ran out of time before I ran out of cemeteries.  As you say, it was incredibly emotional.

My overwhelming feeling at the end was one of guilt.  I can't explain why I felt guilty and after 15 years I still can't explain it.  Maybe because they were young and dead, and I was older and alive, and I'm not sure what their deaths achieved.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I visited the Somme in 2004 and walked through as many cemeteries as possible, but I ran out of time before I ran out of cemeteries.  As you say, it was incredibly emotional.

My overwhelming feeling at the end was one of guilt.  I can't explain why I felt guilty and after 15 years I still can't explain it.  Maybe because they were young and dead, and I was older and alive, and I'm not sure what their deaths achieved.

I've always regarded WW1 and WW2 as seperate ideological conflicts. WW1 was people fighting for King and Country, for nationalism and defence of Empire. This was why so many survivors came to resent the waste and pointlessness of it, but people had a different viewpoint about doing their duty at that time so they'd signed up en masse and broken off their lives to fight in trenches. WW2 was about defence of the island from expansionist Fascist ideology. There was a bit more nobility about it in the end and I don't think the veterans of WW2 felt so embittered in the aftermath. 

Regardless of what underlay the rationale for fighting, both these conflicts resulted in people who did not particularly want to be soldiers going off to war. For this reason, I don't associate Remembrance with other conflicts like the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan, where professional soldiers were doing the bidding of their political employers for geo-political reasons. Remembrance is about the sacrifice of volunteers who did what they did out of a sense of duty, not as a career choice.

I think there is a move to try to keep rolling Remembrance to include other conflicts, but that is not how I personally believe it should be...

I do believe that the Govt historically let down veterans and continued to do so right up until the last few years. Otherwise things like Help for Heroes would not exist, but for me Remembrance is about WW1 and WW2 only.