Where should we go on our summer hols?

Budgie's Boyfriend

Budgie's Boyfriend

Any recommendations for the Mrs and me (early 50's) ? , need to fly from Edinburgh, can't be bothered going to Glasgow etc ,I'm looking for somewhere with nice beaches but also with some nice little streets with cafes etc and a place with a bit history so not really interested in high rise places .

Where do you guys go ?

Me and the Mrs have usually go to Turkey nowadays. We were unsure the 1st time we went ( pre-conceived stereotypes of the Turks) but now wouldn’t go anywhere else. 

In terms of areas, I liked Hisoranou for its activities and there are some absolutely amazing gorge walks / natural beauty etc. As well as the nightlife being very lively.

Although the past 2 years we have went to Side which is more of a “relaxing” type holiday but still has history/beautiful sites with the old Greek ruins / amphitheater.

18 minutes ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Any recommendations for the Mrs and me (early 50's) ? , need to fly from Edinburgh, can't be bothered going to Glasgow etc ,I'm looking for somewhere with nice beaches but also with some nice little streets with cafes etc and a place with a bit history so not really interested in high rise places .

Where do you guys go ?

I’d recommend Sidari in Corfu bud. Stunning. 

Croatia. They don't really have sandy beaches but the scenery is spectacular and plenty of history/places to visit. Dubrovnik is stunning, although busy. 

Edited by Jambos_1874

11 minutes ago, stevie said:

Nerja,southern Spain is fantastic.Been the last two years.

My parents go every year. Always singing it’s praises. Very popular with the Spanish.

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

My parents go every year. Always singing it’s praises. Very popular with the Spanish.

We’re going back next year.My wife and I love the place.

Budgie's Boyfriend
56 minutes ago, stevie said:

Nerja,southern Spain is fantastic.Been the last two years.

We took a day trip to Nerja when we were staying at Los Romanes in August past, we did say that we would holiday there sometime in the future as it is a great wee place, the only problem I have with Nerja is their sewage problem , heard really bad stories of folk swimming with turds :(

Budgie's Boyfriend
1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

Was in Tivat, Montenegro this summer, was superb. Visited quite a bit of the country and it is beautiful. Also recommend Croatia!

Tivat sounds great , who flies there from Edinburgh?

Budgie's Boyfriend
1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

Me and the Mrs have usually go to Turkey nowadays. We were unsure the 1st time we went ( pre-conceived stereotypes of the Turks) but now wouldn’t go anywhere else. 

In terms of areas, I liked Hisoranou for its activities and there are some absolutely amazing gorge walks / natural beauty etc. As well as the nightlife being very lively.

Although the past 2 years we have went to Side which is more of a “relaxing” type holiday but still has history/beautiful sites with the old Greek ruins / amphitheater.

Hisoranou sounds like our kind of holiday , what airlines fly there?

Budgie's Boyfriend
1 hour ago, Swanny17 said:

I’d recommend Sidari in Corfu bud. Stunning. 

I will take a look , thanks

Budgie's Boyfriend
1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Croatia. They don't really have sandy beaches but the scenery is spectacular and plenty of history/places to visit. Dubrovnik is stunning, although busy. 

Croatia is defo on the list of places to go 

5 minutes ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Tivat sounds great , who flies there from Edinburgh?

We flew Jet 2 to Dubrovnik then transferred down. We were lucky, we were the only 2 people on the plane going to Montenegro so we had a driver who gave us loads of tips...and a history lesson! Transfer was about 90 mins, but the drive down the coast was stunning. Tivat is a small, small place. The marina area is fantastic, nice bars and restaurants and a real nice feel to it. Very reasonable too, despite the multi million pound yachts that are there. We stayed for 10 nights and loved it.

Edit:

If Croatia is in your list, it is logistically possible to do both, if you dont mind hiring a car!

Edited by tokyowalnut

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

We were in the same boat with Turkey. Some of the nicest people we've met and they have a great sense of humour

Budgie's Boyfriend
21 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

We flew Jet 2 to Dubrovnik then transferred down. We were lucky, we were the only 2 people on the plane going to Montenegro so we had a driver who gave us loads of tips...and a history lesson! Transfer was about 90 mins, but the drive down the coast was stunning. Tivat is a small, small place. The marina area is fantastic, nice bars and restaurants and a real nice feel to it. Very reasonable too, despite the multi million pound yachts that are there. We stayed for 10 nights and loved it.

Edit:

If Croatia is in your list, it is logistically possible to do both, if you dont mind hiring a car!

Sounds really great mate but they small planes really scare me for some reason :(

Budgie's Boyfriend
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Have you considered Nice, Budgie?

Not really to be honest but will defo take a look

Just now, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Sounds really great mate but they small planes really scare me for some reason :(

😄 sorry, it was a normal size plane, we were just the only 2 going to Montenegro, all the other passengers were staying in Croatia!

Budgie's Boyfriend
2 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

😄 sorry, it was a normal size plane, we were just the only 2 going to Montenegro, all the other passengers were staying in Croatia!

:gok:

14 minutes ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Not really to be honest but will defo take a look

Easyjet do direct flights from around April ‘til October. 

Long beaches (about 7km), interesting old town, plenty bars and cafes, shopping in abundance for your wife and is a good hub for exploring and visiting all the famous named places on the coast.  You can also be in Italy in under an hour, by train.

If you need any more, just let me know.  

16 minutes ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Jet2 largely have a modern fleet of Boeing 737-800's, usually configured to seat 189 passengers.

Roughly the same size as an Airbus A320, so not a small plane.

2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

I was meant to be going to Side a couple of weeks ago but had to cancel due to the mother in law sadly passing away. Will be looking to rebook for May when the insurance coughs up.

Looks an ideal place for me and the Mrs and we're in the same age bracket as the OP.

Hotel looks fantastic and has brilliant reviews.

Acanthus & Cennet Collection is the hotel.

1 hour ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

We took a day trip to Nerja when we were staying at Los Romanes in August past, we did say that we would holiday there sometime in the future as it is a great wee place, the only problem I have with Nerja is their sewage problem , heard really bad stories of folk swimming with turds :(

Was there last year. Nice but never ventured into the sea because of the well known sewage plant problems. 
If it’s good beaches you’re after, I’d say Algarve. Some pretty stunning beaches.

2 hours ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Hisoranou sounds like our kind of holiday , what airlines fly there?

Well we flew with Thomas Cook the 1st time 😂 but most of the major travel companies fly there like TUI, Jet2holidays etc. 

The gorge walks were booked via a tour company and my one regret wasn’t para-sailing off the top of the mountain at Olu-Deniz

1 hour ago, graygo said:

I was meant to be going to Side a couple of weeks ago but had to cancel due to the mother in law sadly passing away. Will be looking to rebook for May when the insurance coughs up.

Looks an ideal place for me and the Mrs and we're in the same age bracket as the OP.

Hotel looks fantastic and has brilliant reviews.

Acanthus & Cennet Collection is the hotel.

The hotels there are incredible. We went to the Otium Seven Seas last year and it was great but our experience has been ruined by our holiday to Side the previous year at the Voyage Sorgun. The most incredible hotel I’ve ever stayed at and the service is unbelievable. All drinks there were premium Jack Daniels, Absolut vodka (unless you tip them a few lira and they crack open the grey goose) and they could not do enough for you. If you get a good deal for that hotel, take it!! 

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

We were in the same boat with Turkey. Some of the nicest people we've met and they have a great sense of humour

So friendly and everywhere was so clean! Again, probably my pre-conceptions of it being a bit dirty and people being rude was completely blown out the water.

Edited by jambo89

annushorribilis III
8 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Is that enough sensible suggestions posted so immature prats like me can de-rail a thread with idiotic suggestions.......?

Fill yer boots 😁

If visiting Turkey, find a way to go to Damascus, Syria (quite easy travel routes now)

Beautiful city and culture - relatively safe these days despite any misconceptions 

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Is that enough sensible suggestions posted so immature prats like me can de-rail a thread with idiotic suggestions.......?

You don't usually ask before doing so!!

:wink: 

55 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

If visiting Turkey, find a way to go to Damascus, Syria (quite easy travel routes now)

Beautiful city and culture - relatively safe these days despite any misconceptions 

Foreign office advice is to stay well clear and if already there then get your arse out asap.

Pretty sure no insurance company will cover a trip to Syria.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Foreign office advice is to stay well clear and if already there then get your arse out asap.

Pretty sure no insurance company will cover a trip to Syria.

Assad it would be relatively safe...

1 hour ago, Tynieman said:

Assad it would be relatively safe...

Relative to where? The Gazza strip?

Anyway, there are no cross border points between Turkey and Syria just now. (because it's not safe)

Samuel Camazzola

Croatia. Flights are only around 3 hours from Edinburgh at times are good. 

Cavtat is only about 15 minutes from Dubrovnik airport and the resort has plenty cheap boat trips to take you to some stunning islands or Dubrovnik old town. 

Weather and food are great too. 

Lagos, Portugal. Crackin place mate. Been there twice now, direct flights from Edinburgh, 3 hour flight time max and some stunning beaches. Gorgeous weather, a beautiful marina to sit and watch the world go by, and plenty wee nooks and cranny cobbled streets full of authentic Portuguese bars and restaurants. There’s a medieval fort in the middle of town you can visit if that’s your thing, and the dolphin boat tours are a must. The tours also take you in and around the beautiful caves that run right along the coastline. Honestly, check it out, you won’t be disappointed. First time I was there I shared a pint with Paul Scholes who has a place out there and this year I sat opposite Mick McCarthy and his (I presume) wife in a lovely wee steakhouse. If is good enough for these millionaires...👍🏼

E4C7CD5F-7EAE-4993-AC3F-713B246DD9AB.jpeg

6361E399-B79B-4D32-B9EE-49FA2B799785.jpeg

EB66AF01-56D8-4C5C-9989-39568E45373F.jpeg

9BA68543-5A8B-4A2C-B12E-B485172BE0DA.jpeg

0BF5493D-9FFB-46CB-B086-4D551E952B54.jpeg

Budgie's Boyfriend
7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Lagos, Portugal. Crackin place mate. Been there twice now, direct flights from Edinburgh, 3 hour flight time max and some stunning beaches. Gorgeous weather, a beautiful marina to sit and watch the world go by, and plenty wee nooks and cranny cobbled streets full of authentic Portuguese bars and restaurants. There’s a medieval fort in the middle of town you can visit if that’s your thing, and the dolphin boat tours are a must. The tours also take you in and around the beautiful caves that run right along the coastline. Honestly, check it out, you won’t be disappointed. First time I was there I shared a pint with Paul Scholes who has a place out there and this year I sat opposite Mick McCarthy and his (I presume) wife in a lovely wee steakhouse. If is good enough for these millionaires...👍🏼

We were there a couple of years ago mate , stayed in the Riomar hotel ,not the best hotel but had a balcony looking down onto the narrow streets in the middle of the old town , it was great , one day we will go back to Lagos , we loved it too .

Budgie's Boyfriend
8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cavtat is only about 15 minutes from Dubrovnik airport and the resort has plenty cheap boat trips to take you to some stunning islands or Dubrovnik old town. 

Will take a look at this ,the wife really wants to go to Croatia and we hate long transfers ....

11 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Had a really bad experience there, stayed in the hotel Lagos 5*,  but it was my honeymoon, marriage did not end well ☺

14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

We were in Dubrovnik and the island of Korcula this summer, stunning places and well worth a visit. Not many sandy beaches though for the OP,  although there was a couple on Korcula.

Haven't read all the replies admittedly so may have been suggested, but I visited Bergen, Norway 4 years ago and its the most beautiful place I've been. Cracking weather in the summer and great long days. Perfect 

Shanks said no

Edinburgh to Athens EasyJet flight, get yourself from airport to ferry port, usually Piraeus, and then you have the whole of Greece to choose from. 

3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

We were in Dubrovnik and the island of Korcula this summer, stunning places and well worth a visit. Not many sandy beaches though for the OP,  although there was a couple on Korcula.

We’ve been to Korcula three times, it’s a lovely wee island.

Dubrovnik was great too.

Great suggestion from you!  :thumbsup:

The Continental Op

Atlantic coast of Andalucia - Cadiz and Sevilla  + the famous 'white villages on hilltops, long sandy beaches and a familiar type of cuisine.