Buying a dog....Mega Novice

Beave1874

Not a wanted ad... Grew up with my parents dog (like a wee brother). Now relenting and thinking about getting one. My daughter is autistic and I think this will be a benefit to her (won't lie I like the idea as well). My problem is how do I go about this?  Read about so many dodgy dealers. Always resisted as I and the Mrs work full time which I feel i s unfair on a dog, however I may have a walker. Would like a wee dug that does not shed, does not need alot of energy burn... Unsure how to buy or where to go? Gumtree have loads but genuinely no sure of the sellers.. I may be a bit para...

Any advice or help appreciated..

Thats fair tbh meant a dog not needing major exercise. More the point I can't provide the walk which is unfair on the animal. I suppose the shed was a bit too vain. 

1 minute ago, Beave1874 said:

Thats fair tbh meant a dog not needing major exercise. More the point I can't provide the walk which is unfair on the animal. I suppose the shed was a bit too vain. 

Not getting this mate and I am not trying to be a smart arse. What ever dog you get will shed and will need walked and excercise. Dogs need walked at least 4-5 times a day. They require life time commitment. 

Greyhounds/lurchers would suit your needs. They love to laze around but they need to to stretch their legs. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Get a rescue dog. 

This. Been trying for a couple of months. There are so many dogs in shelters etc. Gumtree is the last place you should be looking bud

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not getting this mate and I am not trying to be a smart arse. What ever dog you get will shed and will need walked and excercise. Dogs need walked at least 4-5 times a day. They require life time commitment. 

Greyhounds/lurchers would suit your needs. They love to laze around but they need to to stretch their legs. 

Thanks and you are not being a smart arse. I suppose my main concern is a dog being on its own for a good part of the day without interaction.  No problems with the exercise, etc., Sorry if I come across as  a bit green, I'm more concerned about the dog than anything else.  

Go to the Edinburgh dog and cat home. Explain your situation and they will help. Unfortunately you will not get the best dog in the world because I already got her from there 😊

jack D and coke

My sister has a Bischon. Think that’s how you spell it🤷🏽‍♂️
I wouldn’t say it’s the type of dog I’d have I honestly love dogs like alsatians, we had 5 of them over the years growing up or labs but he’s not a bad little fella and good nature. 
Doesn’t shed, doesn’t smell at all and is a lazy wee so and so. Likes his tuck though the wee bugger. 
Id certainly recommend something like him for you. 

10 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Not a wanted ad... Grew up with my parents dog (like a wee brother). Now relenting and thinking about getting one. My daughter is autistic and I think this will be a benefit to her (won't lie I like the idea as well). My problem is how do I go about this?  Read about so many dodgy dealers. Always resisted as I and the Mrs work full time which I feel i s unfair on a dog, however I may have a walker. Would like a wee dug that does not shed, does not need alot of energy burn... Unsure how to buy or where to go? Gumtree have loads but genuinely no sure of the sellers.. I may be a bit para...

Any advice or help appreciated..

Rescue dog everytime mate.

I would personally never in a million years answer an advert on places like Gumtree, you genuinely have no idea of the dogs history despite what the sellers might tell you, whereas a rescue centre it's you that have to satisfy the staff that you are right for the dog and that both the dog and your family will benefit from you getting the dog.

The staff will be able to tell you what that dogs temperament is like and whether it would be good for your daughter or not.

The dog will be healthy as they are all checked over by a vet and treated if anything is wrong with them, buy one of Gumtree and you have no idea what could be wrong with the dog.

On the rare occasions when things just don't work out between you and the dog and it does happen, you can take the dog back to the rescue centre, doubt you could do that of buying it off some random on Gumtree.

You want advice, then the best advice I can give you is to take a trip to your nearest rescue centre and ask them for advice.

Edinburgh Dog & Cat Home if you live in Edinburgh.

Borders Pet Rescue in Earlston if that's nearer, staff are second to none here, they'll keep you right. 

https://www.borderspetrescue.org/

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Rescue dog everytime mate.

You want advice, then the best advice I can give you is to take a trip to your nearest rescue centre and ask them for advice.

Edinburgh Dog & Cat Home if you live in Edinburgh.

Borders Pet Rescue in Earlston if that's nearer, staff are second to none here, they'll keep you right. 

https://www.borderspetrescue.org/

100% this

If you are outside Edinburgh take a look at the Dogs Trust place in West Calder (nb location is a bit obscure out in the countryside)

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/filters/wc~~~~~n~

I’ve just got my first dog aged 51 - me not the dog 😆

i can work from home and my eldest helps etc - Pippa is a 4 yo Lhasa Apso. I suffer from mental health and she has been a god send. Dogs are great company but no doubt you have to adjust your way of living to be fair on the dog. 

I bought privately through Gumtree - another half decent site is Dogs for Sale but they tend to be puppies. 

It took me approx 6-8 months to find the right dog. Be patient. 

Found all the dog charities and shelters like Dog Trust pretty unsuitable but that is my own experience 

Edited by PTBCAL

If a get a huge lottery win first thing I'm buying is a dog. Would love one but it'd be sitting on its own in the house most weekdays which prevents me looking into it much further.

German Shepherd 

Kelpie 

Rottweiler 

Beagle

Probably one of them.

Edited by Der Kaiser

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, Phage said:

Got a Poodle... doesn't shed... could run from here to Aberdeen and beats me at scrabble.

Great wee doggie, loves everyone and every thing.

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

My sister has a Bischon. Think that’s how you spell it🤷🏽‍♂️
I wouldn’t say it’s the type of dog I’d have I honestly love dogs like alsatians, we had 5 of them over the years growing up or labs but he’s not a bad little fella and good nature. 
Doesn’t shed, doesn’t smell at all and is a lazy wee so and so. Likes his tuck though the wee bugger. 
Id certainly recommend something like him for you. 

Mrs Knightley has allergies. She'd already been suckered by the kids into getting a cat a few years ago - a bloody white one! She became accustomed to it in the house and the allergy attacks became very rare, although the white hairs on the sofas and carpets were a pain. Luckily, the cat was short-lived but, before it shuffled off this mortal coil, Mrs K was suckered by the kids into getting a dog. She did the research and discovered the Bichon Frise (the wee, white one in Shrek 2) and Poodle cross.

Absolutely no problem with hairs shedding or allergies. In fact, I have a drinking buddy who's really badly allergic to all sorts of things; after a few jars, he tested out the 'hypo-allergenic' nature of our mutt by wiping his face in the dog's hair. No problem at all. Great character and fabulous with kids; despite the dug being autistic.

Since getting ours, I've looked after a couple of larger breed dogs (which I would have chosen, given free rein) and I have no regrets. Picking up a poodle's poo in the park is nothing; picking up a Labrador sausage is just horrible; nearly put your back out trying to heave the bloody thing up!. It's easy to lift a wee dog into a bath or have it sit on your knee while watching the telly or, indeed, typing this post. A labrador, on the other hand, will knock your drinks off the coffee table, smashing the glasses, with it's big, stupid waggy tail.

Wee dug, technically, only needs about 20 minutes of walking a day but ours will come on a 6 mile country walk with us and never flag. We don't like to leave him alone in the house for long periods; the most we've done is 4-5 hours and there's been no problem when we've given him a 20-30 minute walk beforehand. We've got neighbours nearby who leave two of them in their house for pretty much 8 hours in a day. That seems a bit cruel (or dangerous) to me but they don't have any problems.

In short, I really surprised myself that getting a wee dug suits the Knightley household perfectly. A great addition to the family.

He's shite at Scrabble, though.

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Mrs Knightley has allergies. She'd already been suckered by the kids into getting a cat a few years ago - a bloody white one! She became accustomed to it in the house and the allergy attacks became very rare, although the white hairs on the sofas and carpets were a pain. Luckily, the cat was short-lived but, before it shuffled off this mortal coil, Mrs K was suckered by the kids into getting a dog. She did the research and discovered the Bichon Frise (the wee, white one in Shrek 2) and Poodle cross.

Absolutely no problem with hairs shedding or allergies. In fact, I have a drinking buddy who's really badly allergic to all sorts of things; after a few jars, he tested out the 'hypo-allergenic' nature of our mutt by wiping his face in the dog's hair. No problem at all. Great character and fabulous with kids; despite the dug being autistic.

Since getting ours, I've looked after a couple of larger breed dogs (which I would have chosen, given free rein) and I have no regrets. Picking up a poodle's poo in the park is nothing; picking up a Labrador sausage is just horrible; nearly put your back out trying to heave the bloody thing up!. It's easy to lift a wee dog into a bath or have it sit on your knee while watching the telly or, indeed, typing this post. A labrador, on the other hand, will knock your drinks off the coffee table, smashing the glasses, with it's big, stupid waggy tail.

Wee dug, technically, only needs about 20 minutes of walking a day but ours will come on a 6 mile country walk with us and never flag. We don't like to leave him alone in the house for long periods; the most we've done is 4-5 hours and there's been no problem when we've given him a 20-30 minute walk beforehand. We've got neighbours nearby who leave two of them in their house for pretty much 8 hours in a day. That seems a bit cruel (or dangerous) to me but they don't have any problems.

In short, I really surprised myself that getting a wee dug suits the Knightley household perfectly. A great addition to the family.

He's shite at Scrabble, though.

My wee Poodle can poop with the best of them. She's put down a few howitzers that even her old man would be shocked and proud of.

CavySlaveJambo

I am autistic. I have a dog. I have a dog so in tune with me, and what I need or want, that I would have trained him as my assistance dog.  He is far to social to be an assistance dog though :(. But I am still getting the Owner Trained Assistance Dog news for the UK and from the IAADP

The advantage of a poodle type coat (including Bichon Frise and crossbreeds which are part Poodle or Bichon) or any other "hypoallergenic" breed has to be taken along with the fact that they need groomed regularly to prevent matts (they shed, but they shed into their coat,)

If you are going to get a dog research the breeds, even if they are coming from a rescue centre.  Also consider where you would like to take your dog for training. And given your circumstances - are you wanting to train a dog as your daughters assistance dog? 

For a general over view of recognised breeds, the Kennel Club is good.  You might want to do this to see what breeds match your lifestyle. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

The advantage of a poodle type coat (including Bichon Frise and crossbreeds which are part Poodle or Bichon) or any other "hypoallergenic" breed has to be taken along with the fact that they need groomed regularly to prevent matts (they shed, but they shed into their coat,)

I wish someone had told me that when we got our wee chap. His first haircut was drastic!

We know now. 

12 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Dogs are amazing. My last one I got him as a pup and we grew up together. I cried like a baby when he had to go. 

The reason I would never have another dog, the pain when you lose them is unbearable.

19 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

You might want to go to the Dog Aid Society of Scotland  Blackford Ave for advice too . 

We got our last dog from the Dog Aid Society, a 6 month old Jack Russell cross. Great wee thing who lived to 17 years old, and we were heartbroken when she died. They do home checks before they give you the dog, making sure your home (and you) are suitable to house them. Would definitely get one from them again, but with us both working I wouldn't do that to a new dog (leaving them on their own most of the day), and think the DAS wouldn't rehome with us due to that either.

Edited by PortyJambo

I read recently it's not the hair that people are allergic to but the saliva that the dog grooms itself with. Different breeds have more of the enzyme in the saliva to others and their coats soak it up differently.

Anyway dogs are the dogs danglies of the pet world.

We got a Cocker Spaniel, fabulous friend!

Barely sheds, great with the kids and the cats.

Almost silent too.

Does like a roll in fox shit though......

My son has pet allergies though is utterly unaffected by the hound.

( also has the benefit that the cocker is not one of the really feminine wee things- proper man dog/ gun hound )

Mr God Awful Ugly

I'll echo Bichon Frise.

Doesn't shed and doesn't need a lot of exercise.

Also have a cockapoo, doesn't shed but has bags and bags of energy.

Both have a good nature.

Good luck.

Got a cockapoo (three parts poodle, one part spaniel). Absolutely ****ing mental dog at times and very hard work during her first couple of years, but lovely at the same time. Doesn’t shed, and seems equally happy doing **** all on the sofa on wet winter days as she does walking for hours over hills.

Got her from a breeder. Our previous dog (mini schnauzer - again a cracking dog and didn’t shed) was a rescue dog, but we couldn’t find a suitable one this time as we needed one that was compatible with a small child. 

annushorribilis III

Just some  thoughts as a dog owner of 30 years -  

don't buy a dog if you're going to leave it at home  8 hours a day , every day.

don't buy a dog on the basis "it's good with kids". I have never trusted any of  my dogs with kids  and a breed  like a Staffy is fantastic but has a horrendous reputation I don't understand. There is no such thing as a bad dog, only bad owners. 

Train your dog.

Never, never, ever get out of the way of a dog. It needs to know who is boss. 

Get your kids to feed your dog - dogs see kids as a threat. Teach them otherwise. 

Dog owners frequently will say - stay away , my dog isn't friendly : so, buy a ****ing muzzle. Your problem isn't my problem. 

If you REALLY want a dog : dogs come with mess. If you want a clean house don't buy a dog. 

CavySlaveJambo
45 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

don't buy a dog on the basis "it's good with kids". I have never trusted any of  my dogs with kids  and a breed  like a Staffy is fantastic but has a horrendous reputation I don't understand. There is no such thing as a bad dog, only bad owners. 

Train your dog.

Never, never, ever get out of the way of a dog. It needs to know who is boss. 

Dog owners frequently will say - stay away , my dog isn't friendly.

Agree with most of this. Except dominance theory has well and truly been debunked and was based on the family relationships in the wolf pack before they were the wolf pack. 

What experts now say is a dog needs is a leader or a guide.  And that can be put in place by being consistent and training. 

And on the unfriendly dog thing. It has turned to all dogs on leads when a “friendly” dog may be on a lead because of other reasons including recall being less than reliable or because they are old and hearing impaired. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

Jambof3tornado
On 11/11/2019 at 10:59, Jambothump said:

The reason I would never have another dog, the pain when you lose them is unbearable.

You have to go beyond the pain, at that moment its bloody terrible but after that you only remember the good times.

Think of all the love you could give another pooch, I couldnt be without a dog.

Been looking for a rescue for a couple of months and come close a couple of times. Had a Cocker reserved and shelter decided she needed to go to a home with another dog. Nearly got another but turned out to be very aggressive with other dogs. Would have been too much for Mrs JH. Also think he would’ve destroyed my cats.

Theres a rescue in Fife mainly takes in Romanian dogs. Anyone any experience with this type of dog? Quite fancy giving one a really good home 

We've had a wee Cavapoo (King Charles Spaniel, Poodle cross) for 7 years.

An absolute delight and very much a member of the family.

She doesn't shed hair, doesn't smell like a 'dog' and loves to laze around most of the day.

Does love her wee walk twice a day but nothing big...20 to 30 mins a time.

Wouldn't be without her.

20191113_101458.jpg

Edited by Forza Cuore

On 11/11/2019 at 15:51, doctor jambo said:

We got a Cocker Spaniel, fabulous friend!

Barely sheds, great with the kids and the cats.

Almost silent too.

Does like a roll in fox shit though......

My son has pet allergies though is utterly unaffected by the hound.

( also has the benefit that the cocker is not one of the really feminine wee things- proper man dog/ gun hound )

Agree cocker spaniels are cracking wee dugs as said sheds very little loveable companions good size for the house but some  can be headstrong my older one but the younger one very biddable.

Dagger Is Back
On 11/11/2019 at 10:59, Jambothump said:

Yip, four weeks on and I’m still crying like a baby every day.

Something like a Newfoundland, St Bernard or even like a Labrador/ retriever I imagine would be great for your autistic child.

Newfoundland and St Bernard dogs will shed a lot and will require a lot of grooming/ walking so maybe not the best as you and your wife are both working full time.

Plenty of dog options out there, i’d do a lot of research before in order to find the perfect breed that suits you, as they literally are a 24/7 commitment. 

I have had a Cocker Spaniel a Scottie and a German Shepherd. The Scottie was alone quite a lot but the kids came home for lunch and let him out to pee and anything else, the  big dog had a garden to himself, lots of room and space, and he was a barker, got me into more trouble than enough, a lonely wee dog can be the same. I will never have another dog, when the big nuisance went I was in mourning for a long spell and still twenty years later nuisance and all that he was still miss him.

I think if I am reading it correctly that the dog will be alone in the house for extended periods he may develop bad habits, and become a nuisance. You have to consider what is fair to the animal.

7 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I have had a Cocker Spaniel a Scottie and a German Shepherd. The Scottie was alone quite a lot but the kids came home for lunch and let him out to pee and anything else, the  big dog had a garden to himself, lots of room and space, and he was a barker, got me into more trouble than enough, a lonely wee dog can be the same. I will never have another dog, when the big nuisance went I was in mourning for a long spell and still twenty years later nuisance and all that he was still miss him.

I think if I am reading it correctly that the dog will be alone in the house for extended periods he may develop bad habits, and become a nuisance. You have to consider what is fair to the animal.

Cheers. Yes will be alone and why I am taking time as would be unfair on the dog to left for a prolonged period. Looking at all aspects including dog walkers now for a mid day walk. Still looking at all breeds. The info on here has been a great help. 

8 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Something like a Newfoundland, St Bernard or even like a Labrador/ retriever I imagine would be great for your autistic child.

Newfoundland and St Bernard dogs will shed a lot and will require a lot of grooming/ walking so maybe not the best as you and your wife are both working full time.

Plenty of dog options out there, i’d do a lot of research before in order to find the perfect breed that suits you, as they literally are a 24/7 commitment. 

3 great dog breeds, I saw a video on YouTube recently where a lab was trying to befriend a young boy with a disability and it was the most heartwarming thing I’ve seen, I was in tears.Dogs truly are mans best friend

4 hours ago, Jambojay84 said:

3 great dog breeds, I saw a video on YouTube recently where a lab was trying to befriend a young boy with a disability and it was the most heartwarming thing I’ve seen, I was in tears.Dogs truly are mans best friend

I saw this video recently of a support dog picking out his own birthday present, heartwarming and poignant in equal measure.

On 10/11/2019 at 00:14, Beave1874 said:

Thanks and you are not being a smart arse. I suppose my main concern is a dog being on its own for a good part of the day without interaction.  No problems with the exercise, etc., Sorry if I come across as  a bit green, I'm more concerned about the dog than anything else.  

Get two dogs. Thats genuine advice. 

One lonely dog is an awful thought. Get it a pal. They'll keep each other happy and two is easier to walk as they follow each other (for the most part). 

Agree with the advice to get a lurcher/greyhound. Lovely dogs dealt a shitty hand in life by arseholes who breed them for racing then dump them. 

On 09/11/2019 at 23:30, AlimOzturk said:

Does not shed or doesn't have alot of energy...

My advice on those premises is don't get a dog. 

Agreed, very strange OP :lol: