The minute's silence today?

afanderson33

Did anyone notice the fan holding up a Japanese flag during the minute's silence? Bit of a faux pas although I did have a chuckle about it after, poor person holding it up probably never even realised the connotations 

Why?  A lot of Japanese soldiers have died fighting for their country, it's not just to remember British soldiers, but young men and women of all nationalities who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Tynecastlesmychurch

My Grandfather never forgave the Japanese.

Aparantly in the 70s one of them sold him a dodgy motor! 

Edited by Tynecastlesmychurch

5 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Did anyone notice the fan holding up a Japanese flag during the minute's silence? Bit of a faux pas although I did have a chuckle about it after, poor person holding it up probably never even realised the connotations 

She was at the front of the Gorgie stand during the warm up. I think she was trying to get Ryo to sign the flag but he either didn’t notice it or ignored her.

Minute's silence was a bit unorganised it seemed? Berra and the St Mirren player had to stand on their own. Not seen that before, unless of course it was planned.

In the equivalent fixture last year, we were captained by an Austrian, Peter Haring. That wasn't a faux pas either.

4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Minute's silence was a bit unorganised it seemed? Berra and the St Mirren player had to stand on their own. Not seen that before, unless of course it was planned.

Maybe Levein was in charge of arranging that too and the role never got reassigned 

Exile fae Main Street

When I was 12, in the 60s, I was in hospital, in those days in the men's s Ward, there was a guy who had been a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII , never forget the state he was in, nor what he told me. Not saying we should hate all things Japanese, or anything, just that Remembrance time is about OUR people's Sacrifice. Amen

Jambo, Goodbye
9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

They fought for what the emperor believed in. They were regular people just like the allies were.

I love Japan but their soldiers during the war were anything other than regular. They did absolute monstrous things as an invading army. Things they don't teach us in the UK.

I've never once considered our minutes silence to be aimed at anyone except our soldiers and our allies during those times. 

2 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

When I was 12, in the 60s, I was in hospital, in those days in the men's s Ward, there was a guy who had been a prisoner of the Japanese in WWII , never forget the state he was in, nor what he told me. Not saying we should hate all things Japanese, or anything, just that Remembrance time is about OUR people's Sacrifice. Amen

It really isn't, man. 

Jambo, Goodbye
11 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

But no hate for the Japanese today,  amazing country and lovely people. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

1 minute ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I love Japan but their soldiers during the war were anything other than regular. They did absolute monstrous things as an invading army. Things they don't teach us in the UK.

I've never once considered our minutes silence to be aimed at anyone except our soldiers and our allies during those times. 

I'd be inclined to blame the Emperor and the guff they were brainwashed into believing rather than the regular Japanese men at the time.  

Quick thinking by Jock the Jambo who very respectfully moved to the side of the pitch when he got himself stranded with the captains and officials during the minute’s silence.

Well done 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

When I was a kid there were plenty of dads who refused to buy anything Japanese.

Remembrance isn't about old squabbles though, it's about respecting all who died due to the ineptitude of their political masters, on all sides.

There's no reason why we can't all remember together.

Exactly. War always has casualties and it's always ordinary men who are. 

"For your tomorrow, we gave our today".....

Reading some of the rubbish on this thread, I think they must wonder why they did. 

Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, martoon said:

I'd be inclined to blame the Emperor and the guff they were brainwashed into believing rather than the regular Japanese men at the time.  

That tells me you don't know the first thing about the atrocities carried out across the Pacific and across Asia by invading Japanese soldiers. 

But whether we believe they were brainwashed or not. This weekend is to do with the Commonwealth Armed Forces. I don't mind about the flag being at Tynie but can see why it's seen as a faux pas. 

7 minutes ago, sassenach said:

When I was a kid there were plenty of dads who refused to buy anything Japanese.

Remembrance isn't about old squabbles though, it's about respecting all who died due to the ineptitude of their political masters, on all sides.

This for me too. I know a few proper old boys who will never forgive what was done to them by the Japanese but soldiers are soldiers. Their masters are the problem

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Have you considered that someone was trying to show support to Ryotaro Meshino?

Everyone has considered this. Nobody is suggesting the flag was some mischievous prank. 

But the timing was a faux pas for sure. 

Maybe not even that though,  I doubt anybody is / was offended. 

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Or, maybe somebody was supporting Ryotaro Meshino

You're not understanding the context of that discussion. 

Jambo, Goodbye
5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Or maybe, today, the person with the flag of Japan was supporting Ryotaro Meshino, and not trying to make a point about WW2?

Nobody is talking about why the flag was brought. That's only you.  

And nobody has said the flag was brought to make a point. 

If it had been a WW2 flag,  it would have been the rising sun flag. But it wasn't. So no foul play. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

8 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Or maybe, today, the person with the flag of Japan was supporting Ryotaro Meshino, and not trying to make a point about WW2?

Duh! Guys my age have parents/relatives who cannot abide the Japanese for war crimes.

I don’t believe for a minute that the flag bearer supports that just pointing out it’s a hard one for some folk

55 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

Erm, it isn’t. 

56 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

That tells me you don't know the first thing about the atrocities carried out across the Pacific and across Asia by invading Japanese soldiers. 

But whether we believe they were brainwashed or not. This weekend is to do with the Commonwealth Armed Forces. I don't mind about the flag being at Tynie but can see why it's seen as a faux pas. 

Thanks for letting me know that you know more about what I know than I know about what I know. 

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Thanks for letting me know that you know more about what I know than I know about what I know. 

You probably know more,  but you're not showing it very well. 

Comfort women and slicing off people's noses for fun,  for example. Brainwashed deeds? 

Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Remember, the Japanse Flag was probably there to support Ryotaro Meshino, who is from Japan, and plays for Hearts. 

I've already explained to you that the thread was never questioning the reason why the flag was brought. Why you persist on going on about something nobody disagrees with is beyond me. 

Try reading my previous responses directed at you. Believe it or not we're in agreement. But it looks to me as if you didn't get the OP or indeed,  the meaning of Faux Pas. 

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Zlatanable said:

I support Hearts. If a player is from Japan, that is fine. I am ok with it. 

Who on this thread isn't? 

1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

You probably know more,  but you're not showing it very well. 

Comfort women and slicing off people's noses for fun,  for example. Brainwashed deeds? 

If that was done by many I'd say yes. If not, they would surely be isolated incidents inflicted by a few maniacs. 

Either way, or neither, I'm not looking for an argument, bud. Far from it. I believe, or at least prefer to, that remembrance Sunday is for all the dead who sacrificed their lives fighting wars that were, in the main, waged by governments/dictators/Emperors who, often recklessly, sacrificed them but never themselves. 

God bless all the fallen. 

Edited by martoon

Jambo, Goodbye
6 minutes ago, martoon said:

If that was done by many I'd say yes. If not, they would surely be isolated incidents inflicted by a few maniacs. 

Either way, or neither, I'm not looking for an argument, bud. Far from it. I believe, or at least prefer to, that remembrance Sunday is for all the dead who sacrificed their lives fighting wars that were, in the main, waged by governments/dictators/Emperors who, often recklessly, sacrificed them but never themselves. 

God bless all the fallen. 

Sure,  we can leave it at that. Remembrance should probably be for what we individually choose anyway. 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Nobody is talking about why the flag was brought. That's only you.  

And nobody has said the flag was brought to make a point. 

If it had been a WW2 flag,  it would have been the rising sun flag. But it wasn't. So no foul play. 

Correct

I think seventy odd years after the end of the war some of the old hatreds have rightfully died. However I would suggest that many war memorials have a comment relating to our Glorious dead. I would again only suggest that Remberance Day is there to Remember  and Honour those who have died from our own respective countries. There are three hundred and sixty four days a year when a person if they desire can consider all dead from wars, but 11th November is the day we remember our own dead.

Edited by bobsharp

8 hours ago, Threebs said:

Quick thinking by Jock the Jambo who very respectfully moved to the side of the pitch when he got himself stranded with the captains and officials during the minute’s silence.

Well done 👍🏻

I must admit, the sight of jock sombrely walking to the side of the pitch, head bowed, hands clasped, was one of the top moments of an eventful day. 

11 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Knew a guy who was a P.O.W. of the Japanese, never had a good word to say about them, told me a few things what the guards would do to him & the other prisoners, not pleasant and that's the understatement of the year.

Thought he was going to have a heart attack the day I drove up on my new motorbike, he asked me is that a BSA, no it's a Suzuki I answered, a suzuki is that ******* Japanese, yes I replied, have you any idea what those barstewards did to us, then he told me some of the things the P.O.W.'s had to endure.

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I must admit, the sight of jock sombrely walking to the side of the pitch, head bowed, hands clasped, was one of the top moments of an eventful day. 

I was thinking FFS Don't trip up! Dont trip up!

7 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I think seventy odd years after the end of the war some of the old hatreds have rightfully died. However I would suggest that many war memorials have a comment relating to our Glorious dead. I would again only suggest that Remberance Day is there to Remember  and Honour those who have died from our own respective countries. There are three hundred and sixty four days a year when a person if they desire can consider all dead from wars, but 11th November is the day we remember our own dead.

Totally wrong. Remembrance Sunday is to remember the dead no matter what country they were from. 

13 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

She was at the front of the Gorgie stand during the warm up. I think she was trying to get Ryo to sign the flag but he either didn’t notice it or ignored her.

The lady in question is Lynn Aoki. Japan Jambo.

Remembrance sunday is to recognise the futility and waste of war.

It is to mark the passing of all combatants on all sides of all nationalities, faiths and racial backgrounds.

It is not a triumphal celebration of "oor boyz" nor the glorification of war.

Edited by Cade

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Totally wrong. Remembrance Sunday is to remember the dead no matter what country they were from. 

Its officially for British and commonwealth soldiers mate, always has been. I couldn't find a more recent official link but this link confirms its intended "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/2010-to-2015-government-policy-national-events-and-ceremonies/2010-to-2015-government-policy-national-events-and-ceremonies#appendix-2-remembrance-sunday

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Its officially for British and commonwealth soldiers mate, always has been. I couldn't find a more recent official link but this link confirms its intended "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/2010-to-2015-government-policy-national-events-and-ceremonies/2010-to-2015-government-policy-national-events-and-ceremonies#appendix-2-remembrance-sunday

Thank you very much, an informative and thankfully for  me a confirmation of my beliefs of many years. Having attended many services i seem to remember the word our used many times but really have no memory of all being used at any of the  services.

14 hours ago, sassenach said:

That's the way I see it as well.

We are almost at the point where there will be no one left alive who served in the world wars.

The modern remembrance service  should be to remember all who have suffered due to conflict on all sides in all conflicts.

We should also be remembering people who have given their lives in other forms of service , police ,fire and other emergency services.

Some of you need to have a word with yourselves.

Arguing over which war casualties deserve to be remembered the most. ****ing appalling.

9 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Some of you need to have a word with yourselves.

Arguing over which war casualties deserve to be remembered the most. ****ing appalling.

The older ones have their feelings for a reason and none of us are in any position to lecture them on how they should feel.

The rest of us are just discussing what the ceremony is intended to commemorate.

Edited by Smithee

21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The older ones have their feelings for a reason and none of us are in any position to lecture them on how they should feel.

The rest of us are just discussing what the ceremony is intended to commemorate.

"It should be for our boys" is a very Brexit-Means-Brexit type discussion.

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Again correct, as a youngster a long way from being of fighting age I would not have peed on a German or Japanese if they were on fire. Possibly some of the reason I no longer use if I can help it the word hate because I hated both with a passion. As the years flow in and particularly in todays world where we meet those self same German and Japanese people you realise they and their elders were fighting each  for their different causes. However having said that and no longer having the hatred I once had, I still feel each of us the former enemy included are entitled to take one day to honour and as it says on the memorials glorify our dead.

My father served in the trenches in France, he every remembrance day that I can remember went to the service at Haymarket, his medals were in a drawer and he never until around 1981 when I asked him directly mentioned the war and I never heard him decry or praise Germans.

As a serving soldier every evening retreat was sounded by a bugler, if outside we stood at attention until the call was completed to remember them.

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

"It should be for our boys" is a very Brexit-Means-Brexit type discussion.

That's the official reason for it's existence, and I speak as an EU loving, anti-Brexit, grandson of a german WWII soldier. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

The older ones will soon be all gone.

We will be remembering history.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

The pipers lament and the minute silence seemed to start too early before the official photos were done so then captains refs and mascots were standing there awkwardly. As others have said well done to Jock the Jambo for waking away, it was just being discussed the other day on here about the dinosaur at arsenal standing for the minute silence etc