A thread to discuss the merits of Brian McClair being appointed Heart of Midlothian’s sporting director.

Davie Deans

:look:

Was at Utd’s academy up until 3/4? years ago.

Had some role at the Sfa. 

Otherwise, don’t know much about him recently.

Thoughts?

Edited by Davie Deans

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Jamstomorrow

• wavydavy

Fantastic experience at Manchester Utd, left the SFA because he fundamentally disagreed with many people there which is no surprise. An intelligent guy when he was a player and from what I have heard a very decent individual (friend of mine had him come in to speak to his kids teams and he was first class). He looks like a good appointment, excellent contacts and someone who has been involved in designing an infrastructure blueprint. Potentially very good. He does have a drinker's dish though! 

Perth to Paisley

Had the Project Brave role at SFA before that Mackay.

Think he gave it up as it proved to be a PR/salesman type role rather than coach

5 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

I don't really see the point in discussing potential candidates when we have no say whatsoever. 

Is it just me?

Have you been on a football fans forum before?

If he's a genuine option we should consider him. Simple that. Don't know too much about him post his career but whenever I've heard him he comes across as intelligent and considered. Not bad characteristics for the job I'd guess

This has come out of nowhere.Take away the Celtic part of his life and this seems like a very good appointment if there is anything in it.

We could do worse

Never mind the celtic thing that was 20 odd years ago

Fell out with the suits, probably got the hunger to get it up them, ok with me

lost in space

Bit of a daft thread. We all think we are experts on playing, and managing teams - so able to freely comment. Not so with Sporting Director. Suggest leave it to the Board.

1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Bit of a daft thread. We all think we are experts on playing, and managing teams - so able to freely comment. Not so with Sporting Director. Suggest leave it to the Board.

Jeez may as well close half this place down

27 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

McClair rhymes with eclair. Greggs sells eclairs, they also sell sausage rolls. Rolls rhyme with foals. Foals are young horses. Horses win horse races. Races rhyme with aces. Aces are often the highest card. Card rhymes with Shard, which is the tallest building in the UK.

Ergo, Hearts to win the World Cup.  

🤣🤣🤣 this reminds me of the South Park parody of Independence Day 🤣🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Of course we’ll leave it to the board. Nobody saying the decision is being made tonight on this thread.

42 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We dont want any sellick player from the 86 team at Tynie. Not now not ever. 

You need to get over yourself if he has the credentials and will do a good job then he is the man for the job 

45 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Why? Because that team actually knew how to win a league?

1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Celtic didn't do anything wrong that year.  It was St. Mirren who were a shameless disgrace to themselves and to football. 

2 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Sure he was part of the Motherwell team that beat Hearts on the final day of the season back in 82 also. 

However we did employ a certain Maurice Johnstone who was part of that set up on that fateful day. 

Edited by dannymack

10 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is the OP an agent for McClair?

Negative.

Is the OP well connected?

You’d have to look through his previous for confirmation or otherwise.

Toxteth O'Grady
2 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Drinks along cannonmills

Drinks alot - Celtic lover - No thanks

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Couple of random figures in the Director's box today. Chap with a jacket straight out of Ski Sunday 

LarrysRightFoot

Would be a fantastic appointment in terms of profile and connections. Had a important role at Man Utd and left the SFA due to frustration over clubs not being willing to work together.

Personally, I think he’d be a great appointment. Just got a feeling it won’t be him though. Would be happy to be wrong. 

rudi must stay

A good amount of time as head of the academy at the biggest club in the world makes him a good candidate 

I also wouldn't rule out a former colleague either, as MacPhee said he should have a working relationship with the manager. From that the potential candidate list gets exciting :)

Edited by rudi must stay

Italian Lambretta
8 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Couple of random figures in the Director's box today. Chap with a jacket straight out of Ski Sunday 

Probably just Peter Haring. A nice morning skiing in Kitsbuhl then hop on a flight to Edinburgh for the Hearts game😉

Jambo On Fire

I heard a rumour a few days ago that Brian McClair for Sporting Director and Mark Hughes for Manager was a possibility.  I took it with a pinch of salt but interesting that Brian McClair is now being floated by different sources.

11 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Would love this to happen 

So would I. Always the thinking mans footballer. Him

JC and Pat Nevin all had that reputation.