Difference ?

Commander lovemuscle

Commander lovemuscle

Was not at the game today but do you think the difference today was that we set out to win the game and not to lose the game as a poster on here said that's what Jim Jefferies though leveins plans where ?

It was certainly a braver approach. A few players, such as Bozanic and Mulroney looked keener to attack. Naismith clearly made a difference and Walker (although quiet) always carries a welcome goal threat. Uche also looked to relish his role on the right rather than looking isolated up on his own.

A few different things came together.

Difference was we kept our heads up and wanted to win the game.  Personally, I thought our defending was more shambolic than it has been all season, but I’ll let that pass given how much we were improved in midfield and attack.

Whelan back in for Irving and Smith back into CH with Berra for the Killie game and we click imo.  Bozanic put me in my place today, thought he was great.  

Yes, the players looked happier and were going all out attack. Sure we leaked two goals, mostly down to individual errors, but we scored 5. That's the way it should be played. I don't think Levein would've gone for the same setup, would've been more likely to draw 1-1 or sneaked a late winner from a boring game.

Same formation as Hampden I thought, 4-3-3, but with some key players returning to the lineup. If we had been ready to play that team at Hampden I think it would've been a different story (with Whelan for Bozanic).

Edited by kila

Commander lovemuscle
1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Difference was we kept our heads up and wanted to win the game.  Personally, I thought our defending was more shambolic than it has been all season, but I’ll let that pass given how much we were improved in midfield and attack.

Whelan back in for Irving and Smith back into CH with Berra for the Killie game and we click imo.  Bozanic put me in my place today, thought he was great.  

You thought the defending was shambolic ?  were we playing with a back four or 3 with wing backs ?

The White Cockade

SN made most of the difference but we were more positive and heads didn't go down after their goals

defending was a shambles though

I would have swapped Smith and Dikamona

5 minutes ago, DS98 said:

The difference was Naismith. Pure and simple 

Might sound daft but as a whole that was probably only a 5/10 performance.

This

Having Naisy back is the standout. 

I think our running stats today were probably at their highest since the Celtic 4-0 game. 

Playing the high press makes so much more of a difference. Was really happy seeing us defend on their 18 yard line. 

Naismith was the big difference but I also thought playing Uche on the right was a good idea. Their full back didn’t expect to have him running at him and he seemed more effective there.  I’ve always thought Uche looks better when he can turn and go at people than when the ball is just shelled up to him.

Bozanic actually playing the ball forward was good too. I’m not a fan but he did play well.

I thought the difference today was the team was better balanced with everyone playing in there true positions

11 minutes ago, Commander lovemuscle said:

You thought the defending was shambolic ?  were we playing with a back four or 3 with wing backs ?

We seemed to warm up with a back 3, but when the game started reverted to a back 4.  Smith was miles off the pace (worst game I’ve seen him possibly), Dikamona couldn’t clear the ball further than the length of himself and Berra had a ‘mare in the first half.  Berra and Pereira really need to get on the right page (seems to be a recurring thing with our keepers and the captain).  A better team would have taken 4/5 off us today.

Other than that, great team performance.

19 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Problem with This is we don’t have a right back if Smith plays CH. 

2 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Problem with This is we don’t have a right back if Smith plays CH. 

Hickey or Brandon will have to do for now.  RB has to be a priority position come January.  No proper cover since Randall left.

Three big differences today. The biggest one unquestionably was Naismith. What he does with the ball is great - but his runs off the ball also make a massive difference by dragging defenders out of position. 

The other two differences were Walker - whose goal was the crucial one putting us 4-2 up just after half time - and the absence of Sean Clare, who is nowhere near good enough for this level.

24 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Whelan back in for Irving and Smith back into CH with Berra for the Killie game and we click imo.  Bozanic put me in my place today, thought he was great.  

Not for me, I'd rather we keep Smith at RB and Hickey at LB, even though I'm not hugely filled with confidence at the sight of Dikamona in the middle! 

22 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

I'd say it was more having some of the injured players back in the starting 11

Strange that this fact seems to pass most people by

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

We're a one man team at present.

That one man played all 90 minutes.

I think you're overdoing the praise of Bozanic a little there!

4 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Hickey or Brandon will have to do for now.  RB has to be a priority position come January.  No proper cover since Randall left.

Back up striker to Uche is the priority IMO

2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Not for me, I'd rather we keep Smith at RB and Hickey at LB, even though I'm not hugely filled with confidence at the sight of Dikamona in the middle! 

All about opinions but I completely disagree. You only need to look at the Berra/Smith partnership and the difference today to know it’s our best option.

NaturalOrder74

Players are looking for the win instead of focusing on defending, not not bothered our defence was rotten if we can play attacking football and score more goals than them 

42 minutes ago, Commander lovemuscle said:

Was not at the game today but do you think the difference today was that we set out to win the game and not to lose the game as a poster on here said that's what Jim Jefferies though leveins plans where ?

The biggest difference was the tempo we played at . 

Its no coincidence we seem to play better in the big games when it's more frantic . 

Austin got us playing at a decent tempo in a lesser  game and it made a huge difference. 

Naismith makes a huge difference as he’s constantly coaching players through the game.

As much as I think McPhee deserves some plaudits for the win and the way the team came out in the second half I still think Naismith had the most impact.

The defence today for both teams was really poor. As much as smith has been our best player this year he had a really poor game. Berra was shaky again and never looks comfortable with Dikamona. Perreira as good as his save was in the second half still looks a bit of a liability.

Despite all of the above I came away feeling really happy as it’s rare for us to score 5 goals and knowing that we still have whelan, souttar, Halkett, Haring and Washington to come back. If we get the appointment of a manager right we should still be aiming for 4th place, Aberdeen are just too strong to give the head start we have. 

Thought Police

Naismith.

Walker is also quiet for a lot of games but he has a knack of getting into good positions which we’ve been lacking. Also, finally getting a two goal lead allowed the shackles to come off a bit I think.

28 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Three big differences today. The biggest one unquestionably was Naismith. What he does with the ball is great - but his runs off the ball also make a massive difference by dragging defenders out of position. 

The other two differences were Walker - whose goal was the crucial one putting us 4-2 up just after half time - and the absence of Sean Clare, who is nowhere near good enough for this level.

Thats how I saw it.

Walter Bishop

The difference, We were playing the only team in the league worse than us. We had Naismith and Walker back and Levein wasnt in the dug out to try and hold onto the lead when we had it. 

Credit to MacPhee for the result today, however he should be judged on last week more than this week. Would be a disaster if he was given the job.

For  the first half we were lucky to be winning. ST Mirren dominated the game in midfield and at HT had 57% possession. Loic made a big difference when he came on. We had someone who could win the 2nd ball. We dominated midfield from then on. 
up front with the return of our better players we were clearly a stronger team, but with us still having to depend on second string players in midfield we were we below where we should be at times.  I think when everyone is back we will have a good first 11, but the overall squad has some poor players.

I think today ST Mirren thought they could get something from the game and were more open than usual.

3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Difference was CL wasnt in charge. Imo

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We are always going to be more effective in attack with Uche, Walker and Naismith on the pitch.

I don’t think it’s more complicated than that.

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Agreed. He is by far our most important player for getting results. We put our chances away today too. 

Edited by damo

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

I'd say it was more having some of the injured players back in the starting 11

It's as simple as this. Naismith an obvious example - directing / bollocking players from the off.

more 1st choice picks in the team  - and we see fringe players like Bozanic play better - by being able to focus on their limited abailities and not have to step up to fill the boots of better players.

Levein will be happy we've won, but very wistful as we will most likely see us rise up the table over the next few weeks...

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, Commander lovemuscle said:

Was at the game today and the difference between two teams that both looked like relegation candidates was Stephen Naismith.

The difference was that we were playing a very poor St Mirren, who still managed to score 2 goals. No defensive midfield and those that were supposed to play there, continually got caught in possession or gave the ball away.  Too many free kicks conceded outside the box that better teams would have taken advantage off.

Damour is a liability, as is Irving defensively.  Need Wheelan and Haring back ASAP.

Overall a good win, but remember the opposition.

11 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Difference was CL wasnt in charge. Imo

Simpleton's assessment. He was in charge when we were top of the league last year and when we went 8 games without conceding a goal.

Just now, tcjambo said:

Simpleton's assessment. He was in charge when we were top of the league last year and when we went 8 games without conceding a goal.

Wee bit offensive. The question was what was the difference and my view was that CL wasn't in charge 

Naismith and Walker. Other things but 90% due to them being back

Take the same formation, instructions and other 9 players but play MacLean instead of SN and maybe Damour or Clare instead of JW... See the difference!!

Edited by TheBigO