The BBC Sportsound pundits.

Whatever

Worthing Jambo
15 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Roger arnott, nice guy I worked with him in Next years ago 

How is he doing as head of the academy though?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Coburg Hearts

• Boab

Just now, Worthing Jambo said:

How is he doing as head of the academy though?

I believe he is doing well, though it's likely that the full benefits are still a couple of years away.

Worthing Jambo
3 minutes ago, Bozi said:

I believe he is doing well, though it's likely that the full benefits are still a couple of years away.

So why are so many of the pundits trying to tell us it isn’t working?

Just now, Worthing Jambo said:

So why are so many of the pundits trying to tell us it isn’t working?

Because our first team isn't full of academy graduates worth 25 million each already so its clearly a failure

Or maybe it's because its leveins baby and they have an axe to grind with him so really want it to fail 

10 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

I sure do, still have my season ticket! Listened to Sportsound on my way in and was in the car at 5 on my way home!! 

Been a while since we went on the bus! :)

Fly the Saltire
3 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Call me a cynic but benefits of Academy is always a couple of years away at Tynecastle. If we get a  couple of players a year we are doing well but many youngsters at every club fail to live up to early promise. Cochrane and Macdonald can't get a game for Dunfermline although they might eventually come good

Borders Jambo
2 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Levein isnt 'floating' anywhere near the first team. Preston is clueless and offers nothing, he was telling everyone last week that FoH money gets put towards new players and wages. 

This.  He is an idiot but puts himself forward as some font of knowledge about Hearts

The other cretins like Miller lap it up.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Whatever said:

Had the misfortune to hear this shite today.

From Allan Preston stating there ‘is nothing good at the club right now’....

...to Willie Miller suggesting it’s ‘laughable’ and we should ‘get real’. All because Austin Macphee dared to suggest the infrastructure now in place at the club should mean we want to be regularly competing for a place in the Europa league...

...to Michael Stewart being, well, Michael ****in Stewart...

...to that smug wankpiece Richard Gordon doing his usual scoffing and sneering throughout. Of course he was in full agreement whenever any of the above said anything negative about AM or Hearts (which was plentiful).

Could barely bring themselves to say anything positive about AM or Hearts. Even after the post match interview it was all about how AM was apparently saying what ‘the fans wanted to hear’ and how he ‘made sure to talk up his record’ (So would I if my record was 4 wins from 5!!)

This after Brian McLaughlin’s pathetic and ill informed slaverings the night Levein was sacked.

It’s very apparent there’s an agenda at play here. For whatever reason they clearly don’t like AM. Do I think AM should get the job? Probably not. That won’t stop me from giving credit where it’s due for today.

Austin Macphee has already given more to this club than Allan Preston or Michael Stewart has.

Hearts men my ****in arse.

As an aside, Hibs were ‘Sensational’ and ‘Wonderful’ today.

**** the BBC.

We're the easy target, have been since the Romanov days. They need one team they can lay into. It's never going to be the OF and there are far too many Aberdeen fans in the media. The other teams are all too small.

It should be Hibs but they get an easy life for the most part because supposed Hearts fans in the media would prefer to stick the boot in to their own team (like a lot of Hearts fans on here and at games these days), unlike Hibs fans in the media who tend to back their own team more like Grant, Miller and Gordon do with Aberdeen or Bonner with Celtic. Only Ewan Murray I think actually stands up for his own team on social media.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, scotty2442 said:

I didn’t think Stewart was too bad today, thought he was the voice of reason actually after listening to both Preston and Miller slavour a load of nonsense 

His point about Uche wasn’t that ridiculous, I don’t think you get the best of him playing on the wing, his final ball isn’t good enough. 

Prestons comment about our Academy not working and producing talent was the one that angered me, I think it was along the lines of “they haven’t produced anyone decent since Paterson, and Hickey was from Celtic not hearts academy” he also said we were using the Man City Academy with getting Meshino......the guy is so factually wrong on so many levels with everything he said today, yet he is one of BBCs go to people when they want to talk about Hearts. 

Strange time for him to make a comment like that when we won a game 5-2 with four Academy grads in the starting line-up. I thought Uche was very effective on the right. It allowed Naismith and Walker to play more centrally and both got goals. Four of our goals came from wide right. Uche out there did a great job of occupying defenders on that side and even managed to create goal for us.

Pundits trying to find fault with a 5-2 win is very bizarre. It would simply never happen with any other team these days.

Edited by ToqueJambo

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We're the easy target, have been since the Romanov days. They need one team they can lay into. It's never going to be the OF and there are far too many Aberdeen fans in the media. The other teams are all too small.

It should be Hibs but they get an easy life for the most part because supposed Hearts fans in the media would prefer to stick the boot in to their own team (like a lot of Hearts fans on here and at games these days), unlike Hibs fans in the media who tend to back their own team more like Grant, Miller and Gordon do with Aberdeen or Bonner with Celtic. Only Ewan Murray I think actually stands up for his own team on social media.

I’ll stick the boot into Hearts when I’m with my hearts pals or on here but I get very jaggy when some Hibs ***** starts. I’d never sit surrounded by cretins like Miller and slag us off.
That tells me everything I need to know in these situations about the likes of Preston. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, jack D and coke said:

I’ll stick the boot into Hearts when I’m with my hearts pals or on here but I get very jaggy when some Hibs ***** starts. I’d never sit surrounded by cretins like Miller and slag us off.
That tells me everything I need to know in these situations about the likes of Preston. 

Yeah. There are times to find faults with us - most of the last year - but if you're looking for faults after a win like that you might need to question whether you really do support Hearts or just align yourself with us for some reason.

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Because our first team isn't full of academy graduates worth 25 million each already so its clearly a failure

Or maybe it's because its leveins baby and they have an axe to grind with him so really want it to fail 

It's weird because we had 4 home grown players in the lineup today. I mean, if Preston can mention Paterson who was pre-Levein, Walker and Berra also count on top of Hickey and Irving. I'd also argue that us getting Hickey from Celtic is actually even better than completely developing him ourselves from a very young age.And wasn't he with us originally anyhow then went to Celtic? Even better if someone like that wants to come back.

It shows we're an attractive club for the best youngsters in the country so the Academy must be doing something right.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Its so embarrassing that the main vocalists on the BBC are so bitter. Not listened today or will ever, had enough of the sh**e they serve. As long as the Arse Cheeks are ok thats fine patter. **** them and the whole cavalcade. At least "Off The Ball" tries to break out from the norm. Tam comes across as a proper football fan. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah. There are times to find faults with us - most of the last year - but if you're looking for faults after a win like that you might need to question whether you really do support Hearts or just align yourself with us for some reason.

Who did we sign that useless ******* from anyway? Preston I mean? Remember him scoring in a semi at parkhead but an utterly useless ***** the rest of time he was here. 
Hearts man my ring. 

Raging at Dick Gordon's complete lack of professionalism when he referred to "Austin McFan...ha, ha, it's a good job I didn't finish off that word there" to the collective guffaws of those brain-dead, sooking-a-fee-at-the-license-payer's-expense bunch of arseholes that supposedly make up the combined wisdom of punditry.

I hate the BBC so ****ing much.

7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Who did we sign that useless ******* from anyway? Preston I mean? Remember him scoring in a semi at parkhead but an utterly useless ***** the rest of time he was here. 
Hearts man my ring. 

Jordan swapped  Scot Crabbe for Preston iirc :vrface:

Sorry nearly forgot to say from Dundee Utd

Edited by luckydug

3 hours ago, scotty2442 said:

You don’t have a problem with a so called hearts man basically talking factually incorrect rubbish? 

On the pitch things have been grim but you’re crazy if you believe it’s in a bad place off it. 

Had the pleasure of being shown round the new stand today. The dressing rooms, treatment rooms, warm up area, media centre, not to mention all the corporate hospitality lounges are absolutely fantastic. The Club is in a great place off the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Boof said:

Raging at Dick Gordon's complete lack of professionalism when he referred to "Austin McFan...ha, ha, it's a good job I didn't finish off that word there" to the collective guffaws of those brain-dead, sooking-a-fee-at-the-license-payer's-expense bunch of arseholes that supposedly make up the combined wisdom of punditry.

The BBC shitting on us is not a new phenomenon - Chick Young for a start going back to the Vlad years.

1 hour ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Can anyone who has recent experience of the academy give their opinion?

From what I’ve read on here, it seems to be very positive and the fruits of it will  come through in a couple of years.

Dougie Arnott has been claimed to be doing a great job.

Why are the likes of Preston continually saying it is crap?

Is it, or is it a case that some people don’t want it to be a success?

Football opinion is worse than politics at times!
oops😁

As yet and after all these years there has been almost no fruit. I imagine this is the basis for opinion.

3 hours ago, Costanza said:

3 of the pundits (Preston,  McCann and Stewart) today are clearly pro Hearts, so I cant see it as a BBC agenda against Hearts.

What there was however,  was some pretty poor punditry from Miller on MacPhee's Europa League comments and there was some confusion on the Sporting Director role, despite Ann Budge already stating that the role would not be the same as DoF.

McCann has been particularly compliant recently - one could be forgiven for thinking we had a vacancy!  Miller's comments on the Europa stuff were ridiculous, perhaps some of his own insecurities about Aberdeen's place in the world were coming to the fore?

It’s something Ann Budge needs to address. Every night they slaughter us and get away with it. If they were doing that to any other club they’d be banned from their stadiums.

17 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Had the pleasure of being shown round the new stand today. The dressing rooms, treatment rooms, warm up area, media centre, not to mention all the corporate hospitality lounges are absolutely fantastic. The Club is in a great place off the pitch.

Just a pity that the glass facade isn't up to much!

😁

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Jordan swapped  Scot Crabbe for Preston iirc :vrface:

Sorry nearly forgot to say from Dundee Utd

My god that’s right :facepalm:

I never forgave Jordan for that. 

35 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Strange time for him to make a comment like that when we won a game 5-2 with four Academy grads in the starting line-up. I thought Uche was very effective on the right. It allowed Naismith and Walker to play more centrally and both got goals. Four of our goals came from wide right. Uche out there did a great job of occupying defenders on that side and even managed to create goal for us.

Pundits trying to find fault with a 5-2 win is very bizarre. It would simply never happen with any other team these days.

To be fair he made the comments about the academy before the game 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, scotty2442 said:

To be fair he made the comments about the academy before the game 

Either way it's stupid. We've literally got the hottest young prospect in the country in our team.

Just now, berrasbraw said:

It’s something Ann Budge needs to address. Every night they slaughter us and get away with it. If they were doing that to any other club they’d be banned from their stadiums.

That would be petty.  The sort of thing the Rangers would do and have done already. 

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It's only strange if the pundit has any intelligence. 

Preston is as thick a shite, doesn't know any facts whatsoever yet still spouts garbage.

Nomark as a player, nomark as a pundit, but top notch as a wank.

It's a disgrace how ill informed some of these pundits are, yet they state stuff as fact when it's just not true, and most of the less informed listeners will end up believing it, because they've no reason to believe it's not true.

Levein will be involved in picking the new manager - wrong, Ann stated this clearly in the club statement and her press conference

Sporting Director needs to be in place first because he'll be involved in picking the new manager who will report to him - wrong, Ann made it clear the SD and manager will both report directly to her, and while ideally she'll appoint a SD first, it isn't necessary that he is in place before the manager is appointed

FOH money is being wasted on signing players - wrong, all FOH money is currently repaying Ann Budge

Levein is still in situ as DoF - wrong, Ann clearly stated he had been relieved of these duties in her statement

Hickey was developed by Celtic - wrong, he started at our academy, moved to Celtic for a spell then came back to Hearts

I'm sure there are further examples, but these are the ones that spring readily to mind.

manaliveits105
33 minutes ago, Boof said:

Utterly disgraceful - should be sacked

1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

That would be petty.  The sort of thing the Rangers would do and have done already. 

I think it would at least be worth her putting out a statement correcting some of the false claims being made in the media and expressing her frustration at their lack of professionalism

However, I guess that would do her no good in the long term, probably just make the media even more determined to jump on us at every opportunity.  They weren't too happy when Vlad served up bananas at a press conference after referring to them as monkeys.

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Either way it's stupid. We've literally got the hottest young prospect in the country in our team.

Absolutely agree 

He clearly doesn’t have a clue, and his comment about Hickey being a product of the Celtic academy just emphasised that 

The fact that Richard Gordon is still anchoring this and Willie Miller is still getting airtime says it all . An utter embarrassment compared to down south . Unprofessional doesn't even begin to cover it . Gordon and his constant attempts at humour and levity is lamentable , joke of a program unfortunately.

Jambo, Goodbye

I'm not sure why people give them the ratings. If people collectively switched off,  maybe they'd be out of a job. 

Or at the least,  it would settle a few blood pressures 😉 

Hearts should be broadcasting a before and after radio program from Tynie. Or a live YouTube stream from within the TV studio.  Would pay for itself imo. 

44 minutes ago, Boof said:

Make no mistake, this was due to Preston and Stewart referring to Austin Macphee as Austin ‘McFanny’

Hence the ‘in house hilarity after he said ‘Austin McFan....’

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Davie Deans said:

Make no mistake, this was due to Preston and Stewart referring to Austin Macphee as Austin ‘McFanny’

Is this for real?!? Lol I’m actually gobsmacked here....

5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The fact that Richard Gordon is still anchoring this and Willie Miller is still getting airtime says it all . An utter embarrassment compared to down south . Unprofessional doesn't even begin to cover it . Gordon and his constant attempts at humour and levity is lamentable , joke of a program unfortunately.

Today was very poor.

Richard Gordon used to be very sharp - he was lead along by Preston and Miller’s sniping.

If you take the criticism today as a yardstick then clearly Austin is doing the right things. 

The main takeaway from the comments on Sportsound in my opinion is that the game was entertaining. Defensively there is work to do but if we’re going to play in a more positive style as Austin has hinted at then we could finally be rewarded with some good football.

I am open to giving Austin more time whilst other work takes place (Eg. Identifying the sporting director first). It may well be that small changes put things back on track.

Got to be positive for the Killie game. :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I don’t care about Rangers. Every interview we do regardless of who it is gets picked apart and analysed. They don’t do it to any other club apart from ours. 

2 hours ago, Whatever said:

April 1998 says otherwise.

The 2-2 draw at Ibrox took the wind out of our sails, I don't think it was ever likely after that.

Still, 21 years ago. Not quite threatening the status quo enough for there to be a concerted campaign against Hearts, I'd have thought.

13 minutes ago, Davie Deans said:

Said this to my dad. He stopped himself just in time. The sniggering gave it away. 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Darren said:

The 2-2 draw at Ibrox took the wind out of our sails, I don't think it was ever likely after that.

Still, 21 years ago. Not quite threatening the status quo enough for there to be a concerted campaign against Hearts, I'd have thought.

There's no campaign. They're too scared to have a go at either of the OF and they're too in love with Aberdeen. We should take it as a complement I suppose that we're important enough to be analysed to death -there must be an audience for it - while Hibs get off scott free despite being in an as-worse if not worse state.

I mean Hibs had a decade of constant, self-inflicted decline and the media spraffed non-stop about "flair", even as they went through a manager a year, each one taking them nearer relegation until they were ultimately completely humiliated in a cup final and Europe and finally relegated, then needing 3 years to get promoted .

Comparatively speaking we have been in amazing shape on and off the park, even with our last few league campaigns.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Worthing Jambo
35 minutes ago, RobNox said:

It's a disgrace how ill informed some of these pundits are, yet they state stuff as fact when it's just not true, and most of the less informed listeners will end up believing it, because they've no reason to believe it's not true.

Levein will be involved in picking the new manager - wrong, Ann stated this clearly in the club statement and her press conference

Sporting Director needs to be in place first because he'll be involved in picking the new manager who will report to him - wrong, Ann made it clear the SD and manager will both report directly to her, and while ideally she'll appoint a SD first, it isn't necessary that he is in place before the manager is appointed

FOH money is being wasted on signing players - wrong, all FOH money is currently repaying Ann Budge

Levein is still in situ as DoF - wrong, Ann clearly stated he had been relieved of these duties in her statement

Hickey was developed by Celtic - wrong, he started at our academy, moved to Celtic for a spell then came back to Hearts

I'm sure there are further examples, but these are the ones that spring readily to mind.

Stop talking sense.

It doesn’t work in these days of misinformation and fake news!

40 minutes ago, RobNox said:

She has actually given mixed messages on this topic and what you have quoted is what she apparently said. She did also say in a BBC interview that she may well ask Craig Levein for his opinion on who should be the next Manager.

5 hours ago, Bauld said:

Hibs will never be a threat to the status quo.

Hearts can and the minute we look like getting our shit together the knives come out.

Bingo. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Staggered we have got into bed with these ***** and let them make a documentary. 

Personally I'd tell them to **** off.

Doesn't help when you have those Friday night gigglers professing to know all things Hearts dissing us at every opportunity,  and in the paper. 

God knows its been shit on the pitch,  the luck has been shit out too.

But ffs its about time we showed some balls as fans, especially those in the media. 

Under performing for 12 months does not mean the club is going down the shutter.

I am not up for MacPhee full time,  but I'm going to give him the credit for talking his club up, something that others are unable to do, Preston and Fowler in particular. 

I'll give Stewart some credit. Sport scene the other week he was complimentary of the set up bar Levein. 

As for the Aberdeen posse, Tom English soon has their gas at a peep. Gordon regular back tracks when English is present.

Rant over

#FTBBC

Central Belt 1874

Just want to echo the sentiments above of just how terrible the programme was today before the game. Preston's Ill informed views opened the door for Miller to stick the boot in, Miller even admitted that he didn't know anything about whats going on at Tynecastle but would take Preston's word as gospel, and got stuck in.

An unprofessional embarrassment for the BBC. I'm surprised I was shocked at the crap that was spouted by Preston and Miller.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

I never really listen to Sportsound. But I used to find Richard Gordon the most annoying of the lot. 

4 hours ago, dode said:

I listened to them recently fawning over Aberdeen’s state of the art training facility,

” each player has his own locker” sorry guys that’s a sports centre do they have to pop in the pound deposit .

miller is an embarrassment.

Beats me why anyone would pay Miller for his opinion. 

I'll never forget the night he was "contributing' during an international, Scotland v Wales. The unfortunate death of the former Wales manager  Gary Speed had  happened, I'm sure only weeks prior to the game. During Millers half time analysis be made the comment that Scotland's full back was struggling that much, that he (Miller) wouldn't be surprised if he'd hung himself in the changing room. It was obviously a huge mistake on his part and his colleagues on the night fell silent for what seemed like ages. Miller had to keep talking, unaided, a big ask for him as he's virtually inarticulate. Got away with it though, **** knows how he still manages to get a gig. 

The only thing that is useful about willie miller is that his forehead would be ideal for wiping the shite off my arse. And then wiping it again.

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

How was he wrong? He is a Hearts fan, like the rest of us, he is probably more aware infact he is more aware of what goes on behind the scenes than most of us are. He will know Levein is still floating around the first team etc 

The football dept. needs cleared out, you`re crazy if you think otherwise. 

McCann was the one who surprised me, having a go at Naismith for "Managing" on the park, he said he should concentrate on his job more as he can end up forget what he is supposed to be doing. 

Stop talking nonsense. Levein is not floating around anywhere he's only focusing on the academy which along with Roger Arnott has improved beyond all recognition since the Vlad days. Are you suggesting every coach from the 8's to the first team need emptying?  If so I suggest it's you that's crazy or are you just so embroiled in your hatred of Levein and Budge you cannot see the woods for the trees.

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

As yet and after all these years there has been almost no fruit. I imagine this is the basis for opinion.

Kids don't join the academy at 8 and then the next week they are 18 and ready for the first team. Honestly the place was in such a mess post Vlad that it's taken a couple of years to get working properly. It now is and it's down to Levein and Arnott.  Try not to look at the academy as you do the transfer market but a long term investment. It will start to bear fruit I have no doubt of that. Due to Leveins actions we are now recruiting some of the top talent at a young age. Obviously there is n guarantees but if you start with the best then your odds of producing top talent are much improved.