Are song lyrics dangerous

hellokello

I love watching music videos on You-tube,with a few beers,and read the comments,a sado,i know,just wondered what peoples thought are on the influence of music,is it a bad thing,personally i think people get influenced politically by certain songs,whats other peoples opinions?

Of course songs can influence thought and lead to action.

A repetitive chorus can become a slogan.

A manifesto can be put into one song.

Entire lifestyles have been born via songs and lyrics.

The panic over Punk proves how scared the establishment was of the power of song.

Similarly in the USSR any song that an artist wanted to perform in public or release as a single had to be approved by committee boards.

Vera Lynn and others certainly had a part to play during WW2. 

Protest songs galvanised the youth of the USA during the Vietnam War.

Rage Against The Machine have always been a political force as well as just a band.

There have been some great documentaries made about the power of song.

Thanks for the reply mate,you seem to have a better understanding of it,than me,it just seems by reading some of the comments,some people decide their views,purely based on song lyrics.

You're basically asking if thoughts are dangerous - songs are just expressions of thoughts.

At the end of the day some are and some aren't, and it all depends on your personal perspective.

Very interesting,i,ve never seen that before,gonna give it a watch,didn,t realise the powers that be,took it so serious.

8 hours ago, Cade said:

Of course songs can influence thought and lead to action.

A repetitive chorus can become a slogan.

A manifesto can be put into one song.

Entire lifestyles have been born via songs and lyrics.

The panic over Punk proves how scared the establishment was of the power of song.

Similarly in the USSR any song that an artist wanted to perform in public or release as a single had to be approved by committee boards.

Vera Lynn and others certainly had a part to play during WW2. 

Protest songs galvanised the youth of the USA during the Vietnam War.

Rage Against The Machine have always been a political force as well as just a band.

There have been some great documentaries made about the power of song.

So have Disturbed. Their work in reducing the nations absence from work has been incredible. 

I remember when Paul Weller was a force of nature. Now? Bit of a twat.

Maybe that's just me looking in the mirror.

Edited by ri Alban

Салатные палочки

Song lyrics? No. 

People? Yes. 

It's like blaming Marilyn Manson for two messed up lads shooting up a school. Only an arsehole would carry out an atrocity like that after listening to music. 

25 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Song lyrics? No. 

People? Yes. 

It's like blaming Marilyn Manson for two messed up lads shooting up a school. Only an arsehole would carry out an atrocity like that after listening to music. 

On the flip side, you had Pipers leading brave souls into battle.

9 hours ago, hellokello said:

Thanks for the reply mate,you seem to have a better understanding of it,than me,it just seems by reading some of the comments,some people decide their views,purely based on song lyrics.

Probably a better thing than basing political opinions on the basis of what football team they support. 

Depends on the mind of the individual. 

I think music probably saved my life a few times. I've been in bad places and quite often throwing on the right tunes helps me either lift myself or zone out until I'm ready to push forward.

For the record I am a massive RATM, SOAD and Disturbed fan and have seen them live a few times each but have never been influenced by their political views. I just love the music.

Having said that Disturbed also have a lot of music dedicated to those who struggle with depression or know people who have lost someone to suicide. That has helped me before. I believe David lost a girlfriend to suicide which is one of the driving forces behind that.

If song lyrics themselves are dangerous then I'm fairly immune. I rarely care what's being said in a song, it's the music and rhythm I listen to - they could be singing "Blue elephant kayaks down the Tay" in the background and I would probably not notice. But, historically, song lyrics have been very powerful and can mobilise many people - "Bella ciao" for example.

Bridge of Djoum

I only listen to songs backwards. Fills me with rage so I can go out and cause carnage.

My Little Pony is a particular trigger. 

Song lyrics can be quite the opposite of dangerous - The lyrics of this song in particular were used to talk a suicidal man off a bridge edge. 

Edited by Col1874

12 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Song lyrics can be quite the opposite of dangerous - The lyrics of this song in particular were used to talk a suicidal man off a bridge edge. 

Amazing lyrics in that song.

Love it