BBC Scotland TV Series - Inside Tynecastle

August Landmesser

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What about when he asked one of the hearts shop staff what the score would be or something and she was like “who are we playing?”

they should really know that 

I don't want to go through the whole docco again but (a) did we know who the next match was against and (b ) if so, was there any chance that the staff member was saying it in a dismissive way. i.e. if it was the Hibs, would it have been an attempt a humour to say, "Ach, it's some team whose name escapes me."?

That's me; always looking for a silver lining :D

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• kila

• davemclaren

10 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

I don’t think that was ever in doubt. Although you would think Hearts fans would be there major target demographic.

Sorry mate, I think I replied to you twice. Drinks were taken. 🤭

3 hours ago, jamborod said:

Not quite sure why Brian McLaughlin's getting loads of stick. First off, he's a journalist so he's there to ask tricky questions (if he's doing his job properly) and secondly, what he asked was pretty much what was all over JKB at the time (ie what are Levein and MacPhee still doing here?)

There's asking difficult questions and there's asking difficult questions with a contemptuous sneer slapped across your puss, the fat slimeball with the kind of weird sideburns that are normally reserved for folk that are legally required to visit their local cop shop once a week was most definitely the latter

Switched this off as it really wasnt all that interesting after ten minutes of the first episode. Gary Locke walking through the kitchen is my lasting recollection.

gordon simpson
27 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I think we look a better team off the pitch than we do on it, we look slick behind the scenes. Very impressed with both parts and I'd say to any Jambo thinking it makes us look bad, far from it

agree 100% think our club is being well run and now the dead wood is out we will push on 

1 hour ago, DavidObua said:

Anyone else completely forget that Langer was signed and played for us until he appeared on screen? 😅

Genuinely forgot he existed!

He currently remains without a club since leaving us...

43 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

From what we saw in the last two episodes it does appear that the leadership of the club seems to have a very Edinburgh City Council* vibe to it. 

No real sense of purpose, urgency, drive or real understanding of the core business. I'm sure they're mostly competent enough, but hardly came across as dynamic or driven leaders. 

*I've never worked for ECC, so the analogy is born out of (perhaps misinformed) perceptions of how they operate.

Agreed. This is nothing to do with gender, as there are obviously many of both genders working in the offices, but there appears to be a lack of 'oomph' from everything captured so far. I include the FOH meeting from last week in this as well.

I completely got the feeling of a dull run of the mill office that is empty by 5:15pm where the highlight of the afternoon is 3pm tea break. I don't know what I expected and if it even makes sense for anything other than that, but I wanted to see a buzz of office until midnight deadline day trying to get deals done etc.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

Agreed. This is nothing to do with gender, as there are obviously many of both genders working in the offices, but there appears to be a lack of 'oomph' from everything captured so far. I include the FOH meeting from last week in this as well.

I completely got the feeling of a dull run of the mill office that is empty by 5:15pm where the highlight of the afternoon is 3pm tea break. I don't know what I expected and if it even makes sense for anything other than that, but I wanted to see a buzz of office until midnight deadline day trying to get deals done etc.

Recorded but not watched. Saving for a binge to help me through lockdown. Though therefore reluctant to comment I found this interesting. If a business is doing well the office should look relaxed but if it is performing disastrously as this one was for the period covered then there should be a sense of urgency and even some desperation to put things right.

Asked about sacking Levein Ann once said she would never have to because Craig would know when to go. With the revent  revelation that Craig thought for some time that the combined job of DOF and manager/head coach was beyond him she was clearly wrong. Worse the communication between them failed to identify the problem until it was too late.

Just caught up with the second episode.

Fairly easy watch and not anything overly controversial again. It does strike me Ann has her pals at the office to tick things over. Obviously things may have changed now (?) with a New CEO onboard.

Was nice to see how Stendel and his coaches worked. Shame it didn't work out for them in the end.

Diadora Van Basten

The only person who seems to be good at their job is Scott Wilson. Everyone else seems to be pretty uninspiring.

The documentary is really dull.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Our office has the feel of an all women's book club with Budge popping in every now and again to sell some Avon products and distribute the cheese n wine.

You need to give me the contact of your Avon lady if she's handing out cheese and wine as one peruses the ample selection of houseware and cosmetics of the Avon catalogue. 

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

This one picture sums up the malaise that was at the club last year.

They should be ashamed of themselves. An utter embarrassment.

Was it Berra as club captain who didn't stand up to shake hands with Stendel when he was introduced to squad in the dressing room? Club was rotten and no-one in charge seemed aware or willing to act.

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You need to give me the contact of your Avon lady if she's handing out cheese and wine as one peruses the ample selection of houseware and cosmetics of the Avon catalogue. 

He thinks that the Avon lady is selling riverbank holidays down south.

Some really ignorant stuff posted on here.  Deadline day is all about waiting on the call.  If they were making calls on the last day they'd have a point.

27 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

It definitely didn't look like a group of people particular suited to working in a high pace, super competitive environment such as a football club. This is probably evidenced by the position we found ourselves in last season.  

It can't be particularly healthy for the senior leadership of the club to be made up of Budge's lifelong pals and a couple nodding dogs  We need people who are able to hold her/each other to account. 

I'm hoping the new CEO brings about some change in terms of the culture at the club and the new coaching team are already changing the mentality on the park thankfully. 

26 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

They should have asked the cameras to leave and concentrate on defending. Poppadom hands laughing and joking on camera done my nut in. The youth players need to get some swagger about themselves. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

They’re not though, and most of them still need jettisoned as they’re not up to playing to a level we will need when we go back up. 

Just watched last nights episode, I love Danny Boy, gutted it didn’t work out for him at your club, but I think their was way too much work for him to do, to implement his style of play on the squad you had, he got a few months, when he needed a few transfer windows, truth be told. When he came to us we was already set up for his footballing philosophy, so he hit the ground running, when he went to hearts he needed to change the club from top to bottom to get it functioning how he wanted and he wasn’t afforded that luxury before is time was up. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

The only person who seems to be good at their job is Scott Wilson. Everyone else seems to be pretty uninspiring.

I think Locke has come over well and seems to be enjoying himself in a job that’s perfect for him. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Just watched last nights episode, I love Danny Boy, gutted it didn’t work out for him at your club, but I think their was way too much work for him to do, to implement his style of play on the squad you had, he got a few months, when he needed a few transfer windows, truth be told. When he came to us we was already set up for his footballing philosophy, so he hit the ground running, when he went to hearts he needed to change the club from top to bottom to get it functioning how he wanted and he wasn’t afforded that luxury before is time was up. 

As someone who’s difficult to motivate I can’t actually believe his enthusiasm and style of play didn’t get more of the players on board, definitely more to do with them than him. 

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I think we look a better team off the pitch than we do on it, we look slick behind the scenes. Very impressed with both parts and I'd say to any Jambo thinking it makes us look bad, far from it

But surely that's where the whole thing falls down, the primary role of the business side of a football club is to support the actual team. That has been an abject failure since Robbie Neilson walked out the door. Thankfully he's walked back in but the lack of any sort of winning mentality displayed in last nights programme was alarming. From top to bottom they should be striving to be the best. Slick is certainly not what I saw, clumsy and without real purpose would be my description.

Edited by Rudy T

Francis Albert
27 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It appeared to be not his finest moment but there may have been accentuating circumstances.

However it's water under the bridge and I'm positive looking forward. 

I cannot think of extenuating circumstances which would prevent a senior employee setting an example and welcoming and shaking hands with his new boss particularly at a time when the business is deep in the shit.

As for water under the bridge Berra is still there punting balls into touch and to the opposition.

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Our office has the feel of an all women's book club with Budge popping in every now and again to sell some Avon products and distribute the cheese n wine.

Didn't  have the most professional of feels to be honest . 

SectionFJambo

I8 clearly going for the troll approach however there is definitely something to what he says. There seems to be a certain type who do well in the Hearts set up.

Toxteth O'Grady
5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Didn't  have the most professional of feels to be honest . 

The 2 old Wifeys drooling over Sibbick 😳

Toxteth O'Grady
2 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

I8 clearly going for the troll approach however there is definitely something to what he says. There seems to be a certain type who do well in the Hearts set up.

Anne’s pals 

Guest ToqueJambo
20 hours ago, blairdin said:

Two years from now we'll be desperate for the have a go pressing game Stendel was going to implement. 

If Neilson has us back up getting into Europe no-one will care if we're playing this mythical pressing game or not, a style that only seems really effective against the better teams in Scotland going by Stendel's brief time and the fact no-one else does it here. It will be interesting to also see how Stendel's career develops the next couple of years. He wasn't at Hearts long enough for that spell to have either helped or hindered his career.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

If Neilson has us back up getting into Europe no-one will care if we're playing this mythical pressing game or not, a style that only seems really effective against the better teams in Scotland going by Stendel's brief time and the fact no-one else does it here. It will be interesting to also see how Stendel's career develops the next couple of years. He wasn't at Hearts long enough for that spell to have either helped or hindered his career.

So the style of many top teams is mythical. Gotcha. 

SectionFJambo
2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

The 2 old Wifeys drooling over Sibbick 😳

Perfectly acceptable for 2 middle aged women. If Gary Locke and Scott Wilson got caught doing that over the new 20 year old in the shop though it would be sackable. 

Double standards still ok when it suits.....

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So the style of many top teams is mythical. Gotcha. 

In Scotland it is. Who plays it consistently here? Other leagues like the EPL aren't made up of at least 50% of clubs with zero interest in playing anything remotely resembling football. Quite happy to sit back and launch long balls over the top for 90 mins. Pressing vs Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Aberdeen - great. Pressing vs Hamilton, St Mirren, County, Killie, etc - not so great. We saw this with our own eyes under Stendel (and Levein when he decided to press).

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Spurs and Man city ones are a much better watch. 

7 hours ago, RobboM said:

Interesting that they didn't show the AGM at all. The dosumentary crew cameras were there. It was packed out attendance coming a few days after Stendel was appointed. It was the Ann Budge show but she is very competent in those situaitons and dealt with eveything very well. However, there was a question raised along he lines of "What happens if we are relegated?" and it would have been intersting to see the answer now with the benefit of hindsight.

Only just home from work and reading through JKB from this morning. Apologies if answered further down the line but what was the answer to that question posed? 

Seymour M Hersh
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

In Scotland it is. Who plays it consistently here? Other leagues like the EPL aren't made up of at least 50% of clubs with zero interest in playing anything remotely resembling football. Quite happy to sit back and launch long balls over the top for 90 mins. Pressing vs Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Aberdeen - great. Pressing vs Hamilton, St Mirren, County, Killie, etc - not so great. We saw this with our own eyes under Stendel (and Levein when he decided to press).

Okay so in your opinion it could never be mastered in Scotland? Jeezo,  Scotland's such a special place when it comes to football. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

If, between Levein and Budge, you have a head coach and an owner who promote the idea that results and performances don’t really matter then the players fall into line with that level of ambition.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

I'm also fairly confident that Neilson will not want to be remembered only as a coach that takes teams out of championships, but can do it in the top league. Time will tell.

He did do it with us in the top league. We were never below 3rd under him last time around - incredibly consistent given his inexperience. Won our first 5 games back in the Premiership when we got promoted, a run only brought to an end by a ridiculous red card decision on Calum Paterson. The next season he only lost 3 league games in 15, one a narrow defeat vs Celtic in which we had the better of the game despite the ref booking almost every Hearts player, and had us in 2nd when he left.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Okay so in your opinion it could never be mastered in Scotland? Jeezo,  Scotland's such a special place when it comes to football. 

I'm just saying no-one has yet, and Stendel certainly didn't look like he would against the teams that don't play football. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

That annoyed me. Just feeds into their opinion that we only care about beating them. It clearly isn't true, we just always do. 

If they read Kickback, which it seems they do, the treatment of Neilson by some fans - ignoring all the good work he did because of one derby cup defeat - would back up that opinion.

15 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Only just home from work and reading through JKB from this morning. Apologies if answered further down the line but what was the answer to that question posed? 

Answer at AGM was a long lines of

'Not even thinking about it'

'If things don't improve by March, we'll need to start to do contingency planning'

Edited by DETTY29

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, The Fonz said:

It definitely didn't look like a group of people particular suited to working in a high pace, super competitive environment such as a football club. This is probably evidenced by the position we found ourselves in last season.  

It can't be particularly healthy for the senior leadership of the club to be made up of Budge's lifelong pals and a couple nodding dogs  We need people who are able to hold her/each other to account. 

I'm hoping the new CEO brings about some change in terms of the culture at the club and the new coaching team are already changing the mentality on the park thankfully. 

They looked like normal down-to-earth people doing their jobs in a normal, down-to-earth way, and most looked faintly embarrassed about being on camera which is completely in keeping with the British and Scottish character. We're not America where everyone seems born to be on TV. We're a down to earth country in general, where loud brash "go-getters" and flashy so and sos are generally treated with suspicion (rightly!), and most workplaces in my experience reflect that. Maybe if someone starts a discussion about what biscuits to stock the kitchen with, we'd see some passion. That's always a controversial topic in my experience.

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm just saying no-one has yet, and Stendel certainly didn't look like he would against the teams that don't play football. 

That was exactly it. He had no idea about Scottish football or the general style of play of other teams. I said it at the time that you cannot play a high press against teams who don’t want the ball. His style of play suited the likes of Hamilton and St Mirren perfectly. They let us chuck our 8 men forward and launched it over the top. 

Nice ideas, wrong league, completely wrong time!

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

That was exactly it. He had no idea about Scottish football or the general style of play of other teams. I said it at the time that you cannot play a high press against teams who don’t want the ball. His style of play suited the likes of Hamilton and St Mirren perfectly. They let us chuck our 8 men forward and launched it over the top. 

Nice ideas, wrong league, completely wrong time!

The thing that got me excited about Stendel was if he could have a plan B for playing the Hamilton's etc we could actually challenge because his style seemed perfect for playing the better teams. However, nothing he did showed that he was capable of that. Like Cathro he seemed completely married to one style of play and his own philosophy of how the game should be played, to the detriment of our results.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The thing that got me excited about Stendel was if he could have a plan B for playing the Hamilton's etc we could actually challenge because his style seemed perfect for playing the better teams. However, nothing he did showed that he was capable of that. Like Cathro he seemed completely married to one style of play and his own philosophy of how the game should be played, to the detriment of our results.

Against those types of teams you have to give them the ball coax them out then hit them with pace when they over commit. Problem was we only had one or two players clever enough to draw a team out and zero players with the pace to execute it. Also didn't help we didn't have a goalkeeper basically shoot on target and you've scored. It's no wonder Stendal wanted a look at Harry Stone.

48 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Indeed Stendels career progression will be interesting. I’d be very surprised if he is ever a ‘number 1’ at a club as big (or bigger) than Hearts. Most likely a solid ‘number 2’ at a lower league club. He looked stressed and out of his depth, I’m sure it was a relief (for him) that his contract was not extended. Nice guy, I wish him well.

Seymour M Hersh
30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well first of it would have taken several windows to get the players in with the right skills and attributes (like very quick centre halves for one) and all he got was 3 months and one window where I'm pretty sure those recruited would not be in his finished article. He improved a pretty abject squad (obviously not result wise) in those few months and several individuals improved almost out of recognition from previously in the season. Although we did not get results the team began to play at a faster pace and more on the front foot. With time and support I genuinely think DS would have produced a very good team. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well first of it would have taken several windows to get the players in with the right skills and attributes (like very quick centre halves for one) and all he got was 3 months and one window where I'm pretty sure those recruited would not be in his finished article. He improved a pretty abject squad (obviously not result wise) in those few months and several individuals improved almost out of recognition from previously in the season. Although we did not get results the team began to play at a faster pace and more on the front foot. With time and support I genuinely think DS would have produced a very good team. 

Agree with a lot of that and with others who say right manager (possibly) wrong time (definitely)

Just watched the second episode. I took to Garry Locke when he was speaking at half time on one of your matches that was on bbc Scotland and the documentary seemed to back this up as a positive guy. Tongie swearing in the Motherwell match too, miss him at Barnsley. As an outsider it obviously wasnt as in depth at STID or the Spurs documentary but you got a feeling of what Daniel was all about. Personally I enjoyed the hospitality bit, the food looked great! 

Stephane Grappelli
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've worked in half a dozen different organisations. Not one of them had an HR director or manager who had prior experience relevant to the organisation's business. Most of those HR professionals were very good at HR and interacted extremely well with the technical specialist managers across the organisations. The idea that someone in HR should be specialist in 'football club HR' is a nonsense. Should the catering manager have special characteristics suited to a football club? The IT manager?

Pure lunacy, man!!!!

(I just felt I should inject a bit of hyperbole, there.)

Quite a few years ago, after one of the seasons where Hibs had been relegated, the TV news interviewed a Hearts fan, presumably for some 'balance' in the piece being broadcast about said relegation. They picked the right guy, who basically said, "I'm gutted!" (...pause for effect...) "There goes a guaranteed 12 points next season."

That's a healthy perspective. It's more that each game is a highlight but it's not the be all and end all.

Spot on sir. I love beating them and never take it for granted although I do always expect us to win! Like you say, beating them is a highlight but doesn't make up for other results if we have a poor season on the whole.

41 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

'If things don't improve by March, we'll need to start to do contingency planning'

Yep, that's my recollection too. Also some chat of relegation clauses in contracts IIRC. There'll be an AGM thread a year ago I'd guess. There were questions on the state of the pitch (it's fine, nobody complains about playing on it), sacking of Levein (should have come earlier admitted Ann), injuries (everyone will be back very soon)

17 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Lets be honest we went from the most cautious boring antiquated football style to the complete opposite. Levein assembled a team based on what Austin MacPhees excel spreadsheet said.

What we have now is somewhere in the middle of the two and that's what's needed at the moment for stability and consistency. Perhaps a Stendal type approach is the next step up once Robbies done his bit.

Francis Albert
53 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Remember that. Not even thinking about it. Start thinking about contingency plans in March!! Unbelievable at the time. More so in retrospect. 

It wasn't as if our form in the first half of last season was very different from our form the previous season.