BBC Scotland TV Series - Inside Tynecastle

August Landmesser

24 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

Firstly, I will say I am commenting on this without having seen episode 3 as yet.  To date the episodes I have seen have been enjoyable if a little dull but certainly not the cringefest I thought they may be.

I have always supported AB and FOH and still think AB needs to be heavily involved in the future. 

I consider myself a v experienced HR professional and if it is true that we appointed RN before Daniel S was told, that is incredibly poor, very bad practice and simply not v professional. I'm not aware of the background but surely the announcement of RN (which I think was needed) should not have taken place until DS and his team were all told first.  Aside from the HR aspects, surely DS and his team should have been given that respect.  I can honestly say I wouldn't have wanted to be involved in any appointment process that panned out like that and I find it hard to believe that DS was unable to be contacted in this day and age.

As a Club, we pride ourselves on aspects such as fair wage, presumably decent working conditions for employees.  I don't think it sounds as if we gave DS and his team the same levels of human decency.     

States in last nights program that she called Stendel and could not get him before the news broke. How many organisations bring in senior appointments via headhunters, and put them into "minister without portfolio" roles, pending the move of an incumbent to "special projects"? I have seen this many times. Can't do that in a football club though.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• kila

• davemclaren

Austin MacGlee
4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

After watching Part 3, I'm glad Budge is no longer CEO. I can see why the nest of vipers see her as a soft touch.

This was my feeling too when I finished it. Overall it wasn't bad, I was worried about how we'd come across as a club but it was pretty bland and sanitised which, given how bad the past 18 months/2 years has been with the Levein/MacPhee/demotion stuff, isn't a bad thing.

I did think Ann Budge came across quite poorly though. The handling of Stendel at the end looks really bad, I believe he deserved better. He voluntarily worked for free and is a good guy in my book. AB doesn't seem particularly switched on (albeit there wasn't a lot of nitty gritty in there so I'm aware I'm generalising) and she came across quite dittery and dithery in the PR scene when we appointed the new CEO and did the Hearts TV interview).

I love Gary Locke even more after seeing him in this. Came across so well and is exactly the type of guy I'd want to sit and have a pint and a chin wag about all things Hearts with. He's living the dream and you can tell he loves every minute of it. Salt of the earth.

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Did not enjoy. Assume there will be no more of these horror shows..

revealed the club was soft as shite 

Probably get a shiny award for the office wall. That seems to take priority. 

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

After watching Part 3, I'm glad Budge is no longer CEO. I can see why the nest of vipers see her as a soft touch.

I have no doubt she has great skills in building a business, and thankfully JJ is now looking at the football side. For as long as she remains in charge there has to be clearly defined lines between business and football. The business side feeds the football side the finances to grow, there should be no other connection. For me this documentary has shown Ann Budge is running a successful venue which primarily hosts football, the actual product on the pitch is secondary to the success of the venue. When the reality is it should be the primary concern otherwise the customers will eventually walk away.  

3 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

States in last nights program that she called Stendel and could not get him before the news broke. How many organisations bring in senior appointments via headhunters, and put them into "minister without portfolio" roles, pending the move of an incumbent to "special projects"? I have seen this many times. Can't do that in a football club though.

Budge was clearly wanting rid of Stendel, that's why she made the move for Neilson. Stendel gave all the indications he wanted to stay. She lacked the decency to tell Stendel that first, and the club even released the Neilson signing news before a day later releasing a statement that Stendel had left.

Looking at the office and the way the club is run, I'm not surprised that was deemed an OK way to behave. Especially how they let Levein still linger about the place. The operation looks quite tinpot for the size of club.

Glamorgan Jambo
42 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

Firstly, I will say I am commenting on this without having seen episode 3 as yet.  To date the episodes I have seen have been enjoyable if a little dull but certainly not the cringefest I thought they may be.

I have always supported AB and FOH and still think AB needs to be heavily involved in the future. 

I consider myself a v experienced HR professional and if it is true that we appointed RN before Daniel S was told, that is incredibly poor, very bad practice and simply not v professional. I'm not aware of the background but surely the announcement of RN (which I think was needed) should not have taken place until DS and his team were all told first.  Aside from the HR aspects, surely DS and his team should have been given that respect.  I can honestly say I wouldn't have wanted to be involved in any appointment process that panned out like that and I find it hard to believe that DS was unable to be contacted in this day and age.

As a Club, we pride ourselves on aspects such as fair wage, presumably decent working conditions for employees.  I don't think it sounds as if we gave DS and his team the same levels of human decency.     

Appreciate your experience but we weren't in control of the news leaking out. There were two (three if you add Robbie as an individual) parties to the negotiations and If you remember the speed between the first rumours and the announcement on that Sunday it was all pretty dang quick. I'll take Ann's word that she tried to contact Daniel in advance. And given the level of salary Daniel was likely on he's big enough and ugly enough to deal with it (which I think he did okay and he was justified in having a bit of a moan).

24 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Did I hear right did one of our office females actually say" long time no see hon" to Robbie or words to that effect, if so a man says that......

Don't see the problem, everyone knows his boyhood team were Rangers.

Voiceofreasonfortheseason
13 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

This was my feeling too when I finished it. Overall it wasn't bad, I was worried about how we'd come across as a club but it was pretty bland and sanitised which, given how bad the past 18 months/2 years has been with the Levein/MacPhee/demotion stuff, isn't a bad thing.

I did think Ann Budge came across quite poorly though. The handling of Stendel at the end looks really bad, I believe he deserved better. He voluntarily worked for free and is a good guy in my book. AB doesn't seem particularly switched on (albeit there wasn't a lot of nitty gritty in there so I'm aware I'm generalising) and she came across quite dittery and dithery in the PR scene when we appointed the new CEO and did the Hearts TV interview).

I love Gary Locke even more after seeing him in this. Came across so well and is exactly the type of guy I'd want to sit and have a pint and a chin wag about all things Hearts with. He's living the dream and you can tell he loves every minute of it. Salt of the earth.

Honestly not in the mood for reading posts like this anymore after Friday.  I am mixed on the documentary, I am not sure many parts of it reflect well on us.  As for Gary Locke, I never realised what an absolute clown he is, come's across really bad.  Things like "Scerf above the Heid" and getting onto the sponsors telling them Hearts were different class at HT in the Dundee game.  Sake Gary, were were playing Dundee in the 2nd tier.  I agree with the general thoughts that we are moving forward but for me there is a lot behind the scenes that needs improved on.  I will say one thing though, you can see we are making huge strides with the SM content, that side of thing looked really on the ball.  I also really liked the way the foundation kept themselves to themselves throughout this, you can tell they are the real MEN of power at the club, there on hand waiting to back the club where it needs it.  Proud to contribute to them.

Borders Jambo
9 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Appreciate your experience but we weren't in control of the news leaking out. There were two (three if you add Robbie as an individual) parties to the negotiations and If you remember the speed between the first rumours and the announcement on that Sunday it was all pretty dang quick. I'll take Ann's word that she tried to contact Daniel in advance. And given the level of salary Daniel was likely on he's big enough and ugly enough to deal with it (which I think he did okay and he was justified in having a bit of a moan).

Hi GJ, can understand all of this but was there any real need for the speed and urgency to announce RN.  My recollection was it was in the midst of the period of lockdown where nothing much was happening - court case?

I'm happy with Robbie and think if anything he will hopefully prove better than DS who seemed constrained to only playing one style of football regardless of the opposition. 

It just smacks of a lack of integrity to me that we didn't make sure DS knew beforehand, even if it meant delaying the announcement of RN to the next day.  I    

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, kila said:

Budge was clearly wanting rid of Stendel, that's why she made the move for Neilson. Stendel gave all the indications he wanted to stay. She lacked the decency to tell Stendel that first, and the club even released the Neilson signing news before a day later releasing a statement that Stendel had left.

Looking at the office and the way the club is run, I'm not surprised that was deemed an OK way to behave. Especially how they let Levein still linger about the place. The operation looks quite tinpot for the size of club.

I had suspected we were run in an amateurish fashion and this documentary certainly backs it up. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

She’s not great at getting in touch with folk, Nelms didn’t answer her either but she tried quite a few times apparently. Stendel or any other employee deserved more and she should’ve done everything possible to get in touch. 

14 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Vlad got us and got football. He knew the real bottom line.

Vlad was a narcisist who would have played himself up front if he could and undermined the managers at every turn. As much as I enjoyed those roller-coaster years as it was rarely dull, the "people's friend" you decry so often, assisted the fans in bailing us out of the wreckage we had to negotiate at the end of Vlad's time in charge. 

I'm not tempering my gratitude for that, or her business acumen in drastically improving our turnover despite my frustration that those improvements have not fed into on-field improvement. Most blame still lies with the players, who didn't perform for Levein, had no respect for MacPhee and then several clearly agitated against Stendel. They have offered far less than Budge has and Budge/the fans have ensured they are very, very well looked after at this club.

As an side to the above, I sometimes wish that if Stendel wasn't the answer (and yes, I do criticize Budge for her treatment of him), I wish a hard-nosed, no-nonsense ******* of a manager had been installed - those players deserved a few months of suffering until they were deemed to meet the standards demanded of this club. 

Edited by Gizmo

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

Hi GJ, can understand all of this but was there any real need for the speed and urgency to announce RN.  My recollection was it was in the midst of the period of lockdown where nothing much was happening - court case?

I'm happy with Robbie and think if anything he will hopefully prove better than DS who seemed constrained to only playing one style of football regardless of the opposition. 

It just smacks of a lack of integrity to me that we didn't make sure DS knew beforehand, even if it meant delaying the announcement of RN to the next day.  I    

What way would you say Neilson plays and does he have a plan b?

41 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Second hand from the dressing room, you win. Here’s hoping results get better. 

👍🏻 I do hope so , it’s not easy having a daughter in so foul a mood every Sunday 😃

BTW I fully agree with your previous post on the way DS was treated , club doesn’t come out good in that 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

She’s not great at getting in touch with folk, Nelms didn’t answer her either but she tried quite a few times apparently. Stendel or any other employee deserved more and she should’ve done everything possible to get in touch. 

I thought Stendel came across so well in this wee documentary.  What a class act, tell you what you can tell the players were buying into his methods too.  His training looked entertaining and educational, Naismith said as much.  Just a shame it ended with Daniel the way it did, his wee face at the end on that video call will stay with me.

19 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

If the intention was to replace him he should have been told before talking to Neilson. Common courtesy to a guy who volunteered a wage cut ffs :lol: or did AB just happen to bump into Robbie and they had a cosy chat? 

24 minutes ago, kila said:

Good post....I really believe that she should be at least questioned over the way she (the club) behaved towards Stendel.

The "hiya hun" bit was cringeworthy and made her sound like an uneducated schemie instead of a club executive.

Tinpot is probably the kindest comment reserved for the operational side. I might be wrong, but it's supposed to be a multi million pound business!

Depressing viewing 

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

If the intention was to replace him he should have been told before talking to Neilson. Common courtesy to a guy who volunteered a wage cut ffs :lol: or did AB just happen to bump into Robbie and they had a cosy chat? 

Don't tell me Robbie was just down the mythical corridor as well !! 😀

Glamorgan Jambo
6 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

The rush was coming from Dundee Utd from what I could see. And maybe Daniel still was in contention in the event of Robbie turning us down. And don't forget they got hit with a hefty court of session costs judgement so weren't and aren't that well disposed towards us.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

👍🏻 I do hope so , it’s not easy having a daughter in so foul a mood every Sunday 😃

BTW I fully agree with your previous post on the way DS was treated , club doesn’t come out good in that 

I was going to watch the Celtic game but it was pulled by the BBC at the last minute, probably for the best. It was always going to be difficult to make the step up but I’m sure they will get better. My niece is good pals with Mariel but it wasn’t her that told me stuff about Kirk. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

I thought Stendel came across so well in this wee documentary.  What a class act, tell you what you can tell the players were buying into his methods too.  His training looked entertaining and educational, Naismith said as much.  Just a shame it ended with Daniel the way it did, his wee face at the end on that video call will stay with me.

I had a tear in my eye at that point, which was a nice change from sitting gritting my teeth with my arms tightly folded the rest of the programme. 

1 hour ago, Paulp74 said:

As CEO of any big company, the buck stops with her. 

Her appointments of cathro, neilson (x2) and stendel are mistakes imo as they're not experienced enough for a big club like Hearts. She gave levein far too long and too much responsibility. I dread to think how much money he has wasted on garbage signings. He should have been away after the cup final at the very latest. 

Employing her brother for the new stand is a conflict of interest and by all accounts, he wasnt experienced or qualified enough to take that size of project on. 

She has overseen 4 poor seasons for the club. 

Although appreciative for her putting her money up at the start, she will get that back and more, unlike the fans. She is a good business woman but I feel she is out of her depth at running a football club. Looking forward to FOH taking over and us appointing someone who can drive us forward.

Why would that happen?

The procedures in place exclude FoH from 'running the club'!

The board is separate from FoH and does not take instruction from FoH!

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Honestly not in the mood for reading posts like this anymore after Friday.  I am mixed on the documentary, I am not sure many parts of it reflect well on us.  As for Gary Locke, I never realised what an absolute clown he is, come's across really bad.  Things like "Scerf above the Heid" and getting onto the sponsors telling them Hearts were different class at HT in the Dundee game.  Sake Gary, were were playing Dundee in the 2nd tier.  I agree with the general thoughts that we are moving forward but for me there is a lot behind the scenes that needs improved on.  I will say one thing though, you can see we are making huge strides with the SM content, that side of thing looked really on the ball.  I also really liked the way the foundation kept themselves to themselves throughout this, you can tell they are the real MEN of power at the club, there on hand waiting to back the club where it needs it.  Proud to contribute to them.

Bit harsh on Locke, I’m not his biggest fan but he came across as a normal punter who just happened to play/manage and now work in a job his enthusiasm for the club is well suited to. He could’ve been more scathing about Levein and the way he was emptied, but seemed empathetic about him being sacked. Nobody said he was a football guru or a mastermind. 
I wish we’d seen more about the FoH which is an overwhelming success and a huge part of the club. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Glamorgan Jambo
7 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

If that was the intention then fine. However what if Stendel was a candidate but lower down the list than Robbie. Much more likely scenario in my book.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

She is horrendous but I got a warm feeling throughout. Ann is not Hearts to me.  I do feel for her though as she is deflated by the look of it.  I really wish she would just fully retire. She will have worked het arse off her whole life.  I wish her a long happy retirement.

:sob:

Having now seen all episodes I went into this hoping to get a warm feeling about matters behind the scenes showing there was a professional outfit ready and prepared for promotion.

Instead - in my opinion - it was one big cringe-fest.

I can't think of anyone I would single out as being a real star for the club. Some did OK but Hearts should be looking for top drawer in every department.

As for AB, it was always my belief she kind of prided herself in doing business ethically but the treatment of Daniel Stendel was disappointing, and claims that "she tried to phone him" just didn't wash.

That decision was almost excusable if she felt 100% that it was best for the club that he was dismissed under the unusual circumstances, but her handling of events over the whole summer didn't exactly show her in a great light either.

Admittedly, Lawwell is by all accounts, a master of the black arts of deception and manipulation, but you got the impression that Budge let him, and his band of co-conspirators like Doncaster, Nelms and co, play her like the finest Stradivarius.

She was like a wee daft lassie being led up the garden path by a big bad man with the whole "yes it's on, no it's not, yes it is, no it's not" farce over reconstruction plans. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Bit harsh on Locke, I’m not his biggest fan but he came across as a normal punter who just happened to play/manage and now work in a job his enthusiasm for the club is well suited to. Nobody said he was a football guru or a mastermind. 
I wish we’d seen more about the FoH which is an overwhelming success and a huge part of the club. 

Not think this is part of the Hearts problem though.  Guys acting as normal punters when they should be acting professional.   A few folk on here seem to agree with my concerns that we seem amateurish, I am surprised there are others willing to say this but fair play.  Listen we all have the club at heart I get that, not having a dig Pasquale.

I quite enjoyed it to be honest.  Obviously not to everyone's taste, but what is ?  My takeaways:

- Felt sorry for Stendel.
- Nice to see the club providing food for the homeless.
- How good must it be to be an U18 player - especially for the ones signing pro contracts !
- Amazing how angry I felt all over again at getting shafted by the 'independent' arbitration.
- Always good to see JJ at Tynecastle.
- I had forgotten about Andrew McKinlay.  Not sure if that is a good or bad thing ?
- I want Gary Locke's job !  It is just a shame that I am massively under-qualified for it !

I would watch another series.  Principally on the basis that the more Hearts-related stuff there is on the telly, the better.

Austin MacGlee
41 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Don't read them then you oddball.

Calling Locke a clown shows you up man. PHM to the core is Gary and I'm proud to have him represent us.

You like powerful MEN do you?

3 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Don't read them then you oddball.

Calling Locke a clown shows you up man. PHM to the core is Gary and I'm proud to have him represent us.

You like powerful MEN do you?

You like Budge dottering about talking about flowers and her consvervatory do you aye?  Dont make out I am a women hater either Austin, I thought the way Gary degraded that wee lassie in episode one was a disgrace, calling her an air stewardess.  Embarrassing stuff.

29 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Not think this is part of the Hearts problem though.  Guys acting as normal punters when they should be acting professional.   A few folk on here seem to agree with my concerns that we seem amateurish, I am surprised there are others willing to say this but fair play.  Listen we all have the club at heart I get that, not having a dig Pasquale.

Disagree completely.  I think we came across as a very professional, modern club.  Glad to see we are not a boardroom full of stuffy suits with little sense of reality, what we have is people who are switched on and appear to be part of the fabric.  As for Lockie, he's a fan, first and foremost, who has had the privelege of playing and managing the club.   He's the sort of people we want at the club.  All in all people that care deeply and are fighting for our great club, and of course I include FOH in that.    

1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

As I understand it he was not taking any salary at the time, so for that alone he deserves a bit better treatment than he received.

Whatever you think of Stendel is another issue, but you could see from the programme that he was disappointed and it mattered to him.

All in all don't think he was treated at all well by the club, after making such a big thing about choosing him, and the delay in getting him in place, which also did not do us any favours.

All in all Mrs Budge's judgement in the whole episode has been suspect to say the least.  

Pretty soft and unspectacular for me.

Felt sorry for Stendel watching that.

Nice the show ended on the Dundee game.

Oh, one final thing. Where's the social distancing in the office? 😯 Few of them sat in meeting rooms barely a metre apart and others sat at desks next to each other.

They not work at home?

Kidd’s Boots
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It’s a question of how much is Ann stepping back to just being chairperson now we have a CEO. It’s not clear. 

True, and  I assumed that the process begun when he was appointed, but does his appointment not have to be ratified at the AGM first?

12 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

True, and  I assumed that the process begun when he was appointed, but does his appointment not have to be ratified at the AGM first?

That’s just a formality. 

Kidd’s Boots
37 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s just a formality. 

Agreed, and possibly once the formality is taken care of, all will become clear

Goldstone Wonder
1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Pretty soft and unspectacular for me.

Felt sorry for Stendel watching that.

Nice the show ended on the Dundee game.

Oh, one final thing. Where's the social distancing in the office? 😯 Few of them sat in meeting rooms barely a metre apart and others sat at desks next to each other.

They not work at home?

I noticed this as well! No barriers or anything! 

Agree it was pretty meh for me also 

Do the Rudi Skacel

Been back through the last few pages and can’t find a link for overseas Jambos which was kindly provided before - anybody got a link? Much appreciated 

Edited by Do the Rudi Skacel

2 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Think the groundsman seemed to prefer when there was no football on the pitch.

I think all groundsmen are like that.  

Just watched the last episode. Great stuff with the food banks. Daniel should have been told first no question but at least Ann apologised. To me it sounded as though Naismith enjoyed working with him. Anyway onwards and upwards, off to watch Barnsley on ifollow- here's to 3 points apiece for both our teams tonight.

4 hours ago, Redhelen said:

Just watched the last episode. Great stuff with the food banks. Daniel should have been told first no question but at least Ann apologised. To me it sounded as though Naismith enjoyed working with him. Anyway onwards and upwards, off to watch Barnsley on ifollow- here's to 3 points apiece for both our teams tonight.

Not so good for you guys tonight. Survival is probably the name of the game I imagine. 

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Disagree completely.  I think we came across as a very professional, modern club.  Glad to see we are not a boardroom full of stuffy suits with little sense of reality, what we have is people who are switched on and appear to be part of the fabric.  As for Lockie, he's a fan, first and foremost, who has had the privelege of playing and managing the club.   He's the sort of people we want at the club.  All in all people that care deeply and are fighting for our great club, and of course I include FOH in that.    

Modern yes, professional not at all. There’s a number of instances in every episode where we look amateurish at best I’m afraid. The treatment of Stendel being the worst. 

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Yeah I suppose he wasn’t that professional, you could say he’s not really used to an office environment. There were a few cringey moments that shouldn’t happen in a modern workplace, the girl saying Neilson looked smart has been deemed to be sexual harassment for over 20 years. I agree that we appeared amateurish on a few fronts, but our owner has said she is clueless about football, I don’t think that’s changed. 

22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I suppose he wasn’t that professional, you could say he’s not really used to an office environment. There were a few cringey moments that shouldn’t happen in a modern workplace, the girl saying Neilson looked smart has been deemed to be sexual harassment for over 20 years. I agree that we appeared amateurish on a few fronts, but our owner has said she is clueless about football, I don’t think that’s changed. 

Telling someone they look smart has been sexual harassment for over 20 years? Have you got a link to that as I must have missed it.

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Not so good for you guys tonight. Survival is probably the name of the game I imagine. 

Actually I think this season can actually be one where we needn't worry about relegation.  We ve some good young players, with a seasons championship football under their belt and a manager more in the Stendel mode of attacking football.  Well done on your win, you're in the promotion spots!

I thought Gary Locke , Graeme Pacitti and the grounds men  came across well . 
If I’m being honest I expected a bit more cutting edge , in depth and warts and all . 
This was portrayed as zero warts . 

On 23/11/2020 at 11:20, sim said:

Does anyone know where I can watch the current BBC series besides iPlayer?
Not living in the UK, so dont have access to it through the beeb.

Should be up here shortly. The quality isn't as good as the first two but I didn't have time to capture well.

47 minutes ago, gogsfaesydney said:

Any chance somebody can post a link tae watch in Oz

Should be up here shortly. The quality isn't as good as the first two but I didn't have time to capture well.

I have always been a fan of Mrs Budge since she saved the club.

But the documentary gave me a nagging feeling of a control freak who doesn't know what she is doing when it comes to the football side of things.

The lets have chat meetings with Daniel and Robbie appeared contrived for the cameras. Daniel especially looked bemused when he was sitting opposite her.