BBC Scotland TV Series - Inside Tynecastle

August Landmesser

3 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I was there too and I genuinely think that is the worst Hearts performance I have ever witnessed. Absolutely agonising.

It was mate an absolute horror of a night , but like thousands of others I sat in the stand watching us beat rangers twice when the media never gave us a chance ! We had a chance of staying up but we were cheated .

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• kila

• davemclaren

Naismith runs the place, that is becoming more obvious every episode. With the euros next year we might see the best of him this year and if he plays the rest play.

The groundsman Grant McDermid coming over as a big Hearts man is embarrassing. Guy used to be a Hibs season ticket holder and had a Hibs tattoo. :lol: 

Hot: Stendel (the man), Stone, Tonge, Wilson, the groundsman

Not: Budge, Pereira, Halkett, Berra, Stendel (the manager)

Good watch. Zero chemistry between Stendel and Budge. Not really sure how they ever got together.

Off the pitch, we didn't seem to be a particularly ruthless business. The office seemed very "nice". 

It's clear Stendel arrived to a club with a first team dressing room that was soft, cosy and carefree. That wasn't going to be fixed in a single window. 

I was delighted we appointed Stendel, I liked him at the time and still do now. I'm more convinced than ever he'd have kept us up. Naismith made the point that we were scoring - that's what teams in our position struggled with.  

I'll make a bold prediction - Robbie will get us up comfortably, will get us back in the race to finish best of the rest, but will still show too much respect to Rantic at Tynie and Hibs at Fester Road, with the old cautious feartie 4-5-1, defending our half, hoping to nick a goal on the break. Two years from now we'll be desperate for the have a go pressing game Stendel was going to implement. 

Edited by blairdin

Maiden Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Hot: Stendel (the man), Stone, Tonge, Wilson, the groundsman

Not: Budge, Pereira, Halkett, Berra, Stendel (the manager)

Good watch. Zero chemistry between Stendel and Budge. Not really sure how they ever got together.

You're bang on with the AB DS chemistry. That scene post January window was cringeworthy. AB looked as if she didn't trust him and he thought she was talking shite. When AB said "i think you're right" Stendels look basically said, of course I am ******* right. I am the football guy here.

I’m sure Stendel is a really nice guy.  I was amazed he got the job. I thought he was under qualified and far too inexperienced for this role at a club as big as Hearts.

Tonight’s Inside Tynecastle re-affirmed he was the wrong person anytime.

I’m sure he’s actually pleased he managed to ge let go!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

6 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I'll make a bold prediction - Robbie will get us up at a comfortably, will get us back in the race to finish best of the rest, but will still show too much respect to Rantic at Tynie, 

From memory we were 2nd when Neilson left Hearts in 2016 and had just beaten The Rangers 2-0 (at Tynecastle)... 

Edited by Mysterion

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

You're bang on with the AB DS chemistry. That scene post January window was cringeworthy. AB looked as if she didn't trust him and he thought she was talking shite. When AB said "i think you're right" Stendels look basically said, of course I am ******* right. I am the football guy here.

It looked like a scene the producers asked for rather than any kind of get together. It reminded me of Keith's appraisal in The Office!

2 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

From memory we were 2nd when Neilson left Hearts in 2016 and had just beaten The Rangers 2-0... 

That's about as relevant as saying that he's only managed to get us to 3rd in the championship this season. 

Stendel is a gem of a guy. I don’t think there is any doubt about that.  

As has been said on many occasions wrong place at the wrong time.  

Sibbick playing more than 1.5 games or Pereira not being the worst GK I’ve ever seen would have been enough for us to not be in this position. However it was a season of abysmal luck with injuries and a number of mistakes. It is what it is. 

Still a disgrace that not given the opportunity to see the season out.  

16 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Off the pitch, we didn't seem to be a particularly ruthless business. The office seemed very "nice". 

It's clear Stendel arrived to a club with a first team dressing room that was soft, cosy and carefree. That wasn't going to be fixed in a single window. 

I was delighted we appointed Stendel, I liked him at the time and still do now. I'm more convinced than ever he'd have kept us up. Naismith made the point that we were scoring - that's what teams in our position struggled with.  

I'll make a bold prediction - Robbie will get us up comfortably, will get us back in the race to finish best of the rest, but will still show too much respect to Rantic at Tynie and Hibs at Fester Road, with the old cautious feartie 4-5-1, defending our half, hoping to nick a goal on the break. Two years from now we'll be desperate for the have a go pressing game Stendel was going to implement. 

Its not really a bold prediction more a likely outcome.

Would Stendel get us there faster and with a better game than Robbie who knows.

33 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Loads of depressing moments in that episode that I had forgotten/expunged from my memory.

Had completely forgotten about the Avdijaj signing.

Could have just summed up his Hearts career with footage of him booting the ball out of the park in the last minute when we are trying to get something out of the game.

Stendel came across as the class act he was, and you start to wonder how he would have developed things at Hearts but then I just remember centre halves sprinting back from the half way line in vain and realise that it was his lack of pragmatism that ultimately caused us to be bottom when the season was called.

If he had dropped Pereira after the St Johnstone game, we would have stayed up. 

29 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

The groundsman Grant McDermid coming over as a big Hearts man is embarrassing. Guy used to be a Hibs season ticket holder and had a Hibs tattoo. :lol: 

Even more embarrassing was him claiming the pitch is looking good.

5 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

That's kind of what I mean though. He wanted a sweeper keeper to effectively help bail out high pressing defenders, which is why he persisted with the Portuguese hologram.

He should simply have focused on making us tough to beat and getting enough points to stay up, not overhauling our entire playing style mid season.

1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

I’m glad Daniel is coming across well here.  He worked his arse off with these lads. 

Daniel had an impossible job trying to change the culture,you only had

to look at the body language of most of the players especially 

christophe Berra 

22 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Three black marks against Stendel. 

The fact that he kept playing a keeper who was incapable of making even the most routine saves and his inability to motivate the team to even try a leg against St Mirren in a make or break game. 

Then of course he went home to Germany for Xmas instead of preparing for the Derby. 

The team looked badly organised and unprepared in the first half of that match which proved disastrous for us in the end. 

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's about as relevant as saying that he's only managed to get us to 3rd in the championship this season. 

Not really in context to the post i had replied to. 

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Three black marks against Stendel. 

Then of course he went home to Germany for Xmas instead of preparing for the Derby. 

Thought he had a family member who was ill or had to go home to deal with family matters ? 

1 minute ago, Mysterion said:

Not really in context to the post i had replied to. 

The point I was making was that it was a false 2nd position due to the number of extra games we had played just like our current 3rd place is false due to us playing fewer games.

47 minutes ago, Herbert said:

The hospitality boy needs to get into gambling if his predictions are that good.

He supports Celtic ,that’s why he was so happy when we beat Rangers.

27 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

In fairness Pereira only played 2 more league games after st Johnstone, home to killie and away to Celtic so even if he had dropped him I don’t think we would have been in a much better position. More should have been done to get Craig Gordon in January. 

Thought this was supposed to be ‘Inside Hearts’ instead they have shown nothing of significance that I didn’t already know. 

Stendel is a great lad, Levein & MacPhee were a bunch of wankers, Budge was / is clueless and the players were spineless. 

Was hoping it would be much more like Tottenham / Man City & Sunderland’s documentary where the camera’s picked up on dressing room team talks, player personalities and a general behind the scenes view of the club. 

The first 2 have been a major disappointment and the 3rd one will likely also be. Hope we have got paid a decent sum for this. 

Shanks said no

Highlight was Yvonne and Rab being interviewed.

An awful season best moved on from but never to be forgotten. Still think Stendel could have succeeded but he wasn't the right man at that time. Easy to see why we were never going to entertain the likes of Warnock, imagine it would have been a rather different atmosphere in the office.

2 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Thought this was supposed to be ‘Inside Hearts’ instead they have shown nothing of significance that I didn’t already know. 

Stendel is a great lad, Levein & MacPhee were a bunch of wankers, Budge was / is clueless and the players were spineless. 

Was hoping it would be much more like Tottenham / Man City & Sunderland’s documentary where the camera’s picked up on dressing room team talks, player personalities and a general behind the scenes view of the club. 

The first 2 have been a major disappointment and the 3rd one will likely also be. Hope we have got paid a decent sum for this. 

Maybe it wasn't filmed with just you in mind.

Just now, graygo said:

Maybe it wasn't filmed with just you in mind.

I would have though that majority of fans knew most of what has been said on the documentary. 

29 minutes ago, Costanza said:

That's kind of what I mean though. He wanted a sweeper keeper to effectively help bail out high pressing defenders, which is why he persisted with the Portuguese hologram.

He should simply have focused on making us tough to beat and getting enough points to stay up, not overhauling our entire playing style mid season.

:kirklol:

:muggy:

3 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

I would have though that majority of fans knew most of what has been said on the documentary. 

Maybe it wasn't filmed solely for Hearts fans.

I thought it was an interesting watch. Stendel came across well. Would have liked stendel to get more time as would have been good for us I reckon. It looked a good session he was running with the youngsters. Disappointing that the players looked so dour at the start of the karting when stendel was trying to give them a fun bonding day. They seemed to pick up by the end though. 

We seem a bit soft behind the scenes. Hopefully having JJ on board is making a difference. 

4 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I thought it was an interesting watch. Stendel came across well. Would have liked stendel to get more time as would have been good for us I reckon. It looked a good session he was running with the youngsters. Disappointing that the players looked so dour at the start of the karting when stendel was trying to give them a fun bonding day. They seemed to pick up by the end though. 

We seem a bit soft behind the scenes. Hopefully having JJ on board is making a difference. 

Bonding days are always tricky things and not often fun imo. 😎

Our problems started when Levein didn't go after the Cup final. A new manager with the summer transfer window and preseason to get their ideas across and we'd have been fine.

Taking far too long to get Levein out and far too long to get Stendel in was what cost us, although arguably we might have got out of it had the season not finished early. My gut feeling after the St Mirren game was that we were down.

The management team were still getting to know the players and the squad didn't get time to gel given all the new signings, never mind try to play a completely different way. I loved the idea of Stendel - and he seems a really decent man - but the high defensive line was crazy given our players and the fact we were fighting relegation.

I don't get the impression the players bought into what he was doing and like it or not I think language must have been a barrier.

All the signing chats seemed cringey to me. Maybe it was all just done for the cameras but they seemed really awkward. Two hugs and flowers though!

11 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Our problems started when Levein didn't go after the Cup final. A new manager with the summer transfer window and preseason to get their ideas across and we'd have been fine.

Sorry mate but our problems started when Cathro was appointed and the damage done then has seen us on a continual downwards trajectory since. 

But yep, in hindsight, Levein should have gone after the cup final. Even that may have been too late. He should have just stood in for that one season and went back up stairs.

Perhaps it has worked out for the better now. No DoF, Budge has relinquished control of day to day operations to Mr McKinley and Robbie is back as manager. 

On 09/11/2020 at 21:58, been here before said:

"Dinnae want XL at the front"

Boy kens his stuff.

He’s always quite grumpy when I see him in the shop

14 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Taking far too long to get Levein out and far too long to get Stendel in was what cost us

Hibs got Ross in within days of sacking their manager, Ann sacked Levein and... went on holiday.

I don't think the plan was to replace Levein until it became too hard to ignore that MacPhee was as useless as his mentor.

The club was circling the plughole, and there was no sense of urgency from the boardroom to the changing room.

On 09/11/2020 at 22:39, SectionFJambo said:

Peter in the club shop seems more qualified than the coaching team 😇

What about when he asked one of the hearts shop staff what the score would be or something and she was like “who are we playing?”

they should really know that 

Found tonight’s episode quite emotional. The Hamilton and Motherwell games boil my piss and always will. I loved Stendell but he was in the right place at the wrong time and was totally the wrong appointment given we had to wait over a month to get him then a further month to get him his assistants.  We had to get someone familiar to the game here given the desperate situation. The goalkeeper was an absolute horror that was barely Sunday league level yet nobody saw it. Eventually Stendell did. Levein signed him on a whim. Man Utd ? Must be good . Aye like that full back we got on loan from Man City a few seasons back. Like all the others he sanctioned like the Greek pair under Cathro etc etc.

tragic that we ended up with the majority of complete trash the last 3 years or so.

2 hours ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

This episode has also reminded me how much I can’t stand Brian McLaughlin.

Really can’t stand the fat prick, probably more so because he lobs his sideburns off two inches above his ear

Yeah, you get to see more of the players in this second episode.   Hear more from stendel which is a delight for me.   More from the staff.  Less from the fans. 

I was smiling more from hearing stendel talk about the training.  Just watching him interact with people and hearing him talk about his golden snitch was endearing.   "give us the exact time jorg!", classic. 

I wasn't alarmed at watching stendel interact with budge.   The conversation about moving berra on was serious.   Considering he was the club captain.  I was surprised more learning Washington was to be moved on, but couldn't get him a club offering regular gametime.   

Yeah, some caution you might get upset seeing/hearing players you didn't agree with.   Levein gets another cameo. 

2 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Maybe it wasn't filmed solely for Hearts fans.

In the same way that ‘Inside Central Station’ wasn’t made just for Scotrail staff or rail enthusiasts...this was never originally intended to be a football (on the park) focussed documentary. It was about the back office, security, hospitality, etc. and the transfer to FOH. A general insight into a part of football many people know nothing or little about. Of course the fact that there was so much football turmoil and then Covid the focus naturally changed. Add to that most of the staff/departments the crew were supposed to follow ended up on furlough for a large chunk of time.

A couple of points from the show were Brian Maclaughlans obvious contempt for Stendel in the sneering questions he asked. At one point Stendel just shrugged his shoulders at the stupidity of his question so off trotted Maclaughlan to do a piece to camera about how much trouble we were in like only he could see it.

I also wonder if we are that much worse off in the championship as with no matchday income in either league the advantage was staying in furlough longer and only downside that I can see is less prize money.

1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

A couple of points from the show were Brian Maclaughlans obvious contempt for Stendel in the sneering questions he asked. At one point Stendel just shrugged his shoulders at the stupidity of his question so off trotted Maclaughlan to do a piece to camera about how much trouble we were in like only he could see it.

I also wonder if we are that much worse off in the championship as with no matchday income in either league the advantage was staying in furlough longer and only downside that I can see is less prize money.

Is there a particular reason why Mclaughlin features so much in our documentary? I assume it is just the 'BBC' thing but it boils my piss.  It is fly on the wall and an 'inside' thing and that ***** is an outsider. He has been hanging about the club like a bad smell for years.

5 hours ago, Ribble said:

Really can’t stand the fat prick, probably more so because he lobs his sideburns off two inches above his ear

Noticed that as well 🤣

I'm another one who can't stand him!

Howdy Doody Jambo

McLaughlin is a tihs stirrer clearly shows no respect to Hearts 

I wouldn't let him through the front door next time and make him pay at the turnstiles, he wouldn't talk to any other club especially Celtic and Rangers the way he has done to our staff for years 

Daniel the big bunch of flowers 💐 too much, naw naw naw a packet of biscuits would have been more than enough for a thank you 

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Found tonight’s episode quite emotional. The Hamilton and Motherwell games boil my piss and always will. I loved Stendell but he was in the right place at the wrong time and was totally the wrong appointment given we had to wait over a month to get him then a further month to get him his assistants.  We had to get someone familiar to the game here given the desperate situation. The goalkeeper was an absolute horror that was barely Sunday league level yet nobody saw it. Eventually Stendell did. Levein signed him on a whim. Man Utd ? Must be good . Aye like that full back we got on loan from Man City a few seasons back. Like all the others he sanctioned like the Greek pair under Cathro etc etc.

tragic that we ended up with the majority of complete trash the last 3 years or so.

Your post is spot on bud and thinking back to the whole shit show from last season is emotional in itself. It got to the stage that I switched off after 40mins as I was having flashbacks and some of the documentary had me filling in the blanks to things that now made sense. We were so badly run and badly organised from top to bottom. Anne’s statement about ‘this is going to cost us a whole lot of money’ doesn’t even scratch the surface. Through inept appointments across the whole spectrum,  we’ve pissed away millions down the drain.....and the headless chicken stuff for me is the sad part of a great institution like Heart of Midlothian. I sincerely hope Robbie takes us back to where we belong. 

It’s almost like Levein woke up one day and hadn’t seen a playbook in his life. He was totally at sea with it all. It was desperate stuff and to think of the wonderful facilities we have , contracts we pay and fans who are diehards that go everywhere, and we toil to beat the Hamilton’s, St Mirrens and Ross County’s of this world. 

Was far too depressing to watch at times. Berra having a moan about being told he was free to go after his wedding. Does he honestly think he’s done a great job as captain of our club? We should’ve left Uche at karting extreme as a pit worker instead of giving him a place on the bench.

If ever we needed to fly a plane over Tynecastle to get the message across about ‘no fight’ then it could’ve been at nearly every one of our home games from last season 

Players really didn’t like stendel - their faces at the go carting said it all. Watching last night I couldn’t help think he needed to go for a wash and put decent clothes on. Found him a bit sleezy. Good seeing what everyone does though