BBC Scotland TV Series - Inside Tynecastle

August Landmesser

7 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Not sure why so many on hear sagging off AB. The producers agreed the terms of access before all the crap happened. They are on record as saying AB and the rest of Hearts employees stuck to the agreement. No whitewashing. 

It's because they're so warped in their thinking that she had total authority on what was being shown.

Even though the documentary was billed as an insight into how an entire football club operates and not a fly on the wall, airing dirty laundry in public type documentary.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• kila

• davemclaren

Alot of posters on here haven't been seen pretty much all season when we have been winning. Then there's a chance to stick it to Budge/Levein /Macphee/Stendel again and out they come again. Some do love misery

One thing i noticed was just how small-time our media profile is. A couple of major announcements were shown, including Stendel's introduction, and there were barely 10 journalists in attendance. Was Banderson shown, or was he too busy scouring kickback for stories?

but overall I liked it a lot more than i thought i would, mainly because it was pretty bland.

Some nice touches which we never normally hear (MacPhee giving Mulraney instructions before taking the field was one, plus his pregame speech before that game).

Budge came across as a bit timid - dare i say...grandmotherly? - at points, and i am not sure the point of showing the chat between her and the finance director about potential manager recruits. It just came across to me that she needed an experienced football person alongside her to help filter out the applications.

Highlight for me was the kid who said he was going to watch the semi-final again and write down where we went wrong 😀

What I took away from it are that as suspected McPhee is absolutely hopeless and Gary Locke is Gorgie through and through. What a man he is. 

19 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

One thing i noticed was just how small-time our media profile is. A couple of major announcements were shown, including Stendel's introduction, and there were barely 10 journalists in attendance. Was Banderson shown, or was he too busy scouring kickback for stories?

😀

I’m struggling to think of how there could be many more journalists there. There are a limited amount of media outlets in Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m struggling to think of how there could be many more journalists there. There are a limited amount of media outlets in Scotland. 

True, there is just no interest in the game outside Scotland (and not much interest in anyione except the old firm tbh).

Given all that was going on I found it all very superficial, bland and disappointing. It didn't even scratch the surface and I learned nothing that I didn't know already.

I really enjoyed it, the production values were pretty decent given it's extremely doubtful that it had an Amazon / All or Nothing size of budget. What came across really well was the scale of the club and the passion of those working for it. Probably makes it all the more embarrassing that we would ultimately finish below Hamilton who are tiny by comparison.

It was clearly a bruised Craig Levein facing the cameras, hence the self doubt and softer tone of voice. The cynic in me thinks that now the BBC have got him on board as a pundit, they were never going to spend much time reflecting and analysing the reason for his downfall.

MacPhee came across as lacking substance, he clearly tried to project confidence to the players but they were either too far gone or just weren't buying it. I still think he's something of a myth, perhaps interesting that as it stands Michael O'Neill as far as I can tell, has yet to appoint him in any capacity at Stoke.

Stendel, my immediate feeling was one of regret that it didn't work out for him, I think it's clearly that he's still fondly thought of by the majority of the supporters.

Ann Budge clearly loves the club, of that there is no doubt. I was a bit concerned for her as she's visibly aged since 2014.

Overall, looking forward to the subsequent episodes.

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yup, and I believe that the press attention for the Scottish Premiership is much more intense than below the top level in England. I remember George Burley remarking on this back in 2005 when commenting on his media commitments at Hearts relative to Ipswich and Derby.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Sounded like he had a lump in his throat right enough.  Can't blame him really, he's a Hearts man and wanted to do his best.  I genuinely think he thought in his head he could turn it around but it was apparent to everyone else that he couldn't.  Will probably still be hurting from the mess he left us in.  

A lot of folk would not have agreed to do that interview in the circumstances and I believe he did it because deep down, despite his failings (and we're all perfect aren't we?) - deep down he is a Hearts man.

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Over at datemysister.net they are annoyed the show didn't delve into our finances with Ann. Soon as things go wrong the calculators come out 😂

It's a 'fly on the wall' documentary at the end of the day, not an investigative journalism expose. I also think that anybody looking for some revelation about the dodgy ending the season vote will be disappointed.

10 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I really enjoyed it, the production values were pretty decent given it's extremely doubtful that it had an Amazon / All or Nothing size of budget. What came across really well was the scale of the club and the passion of those working for it. Probably makes it all the more embarrassing that we would ultimately finish below Hamilton who are tiny by comparison.

It was clearly a bruised Craig Levein facing the cameras, hence the self doubt and softer tone of voice. The cynic in me thinks that now the BBC have got him on board as a pundit, they were never going to spend much time reflecting and analysing the reason for his downfall.

MacPhee came across as lacking substance, he clearly tried to project confidence to the players but they were either too far gone or just weren't buying it. I still think he's something of a myth, perhaps interesting that as it stands Michael O'Neill as far as I can tell, has yet to appoint him in any capacity at Stoke.

Stendel, my immediate feeling was one of regret that it didn't work out for him, I think it's clearly that he's still fondly thought of by the majority of the supporters.

Ann Budge clearly loves the club, of that there is no doubt. I was a bit concerned for her as she's visibly aged since 2014.

Overall, looking forward to the subsequent episodes.

Most folk have visibly aged since 2014 to be fair. 

59 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Highlight for me was the kid who said he was going to watch the semi-final again and write down where we went wrong 😀

I laughed at that bit too.

The good news is the young fella is almost finished.

still-life-of-skeleton-writing-in-large-

1 hour ago, Cut The Crap said:

Based on his contribution last night, I suspect he agrees with your last sentence.

Overall the level of general cluelessness on show from Budge, Levein, and MacPhee was far higher than I’d anticipated.

A slight worry given that only two of them have been removed from the picture so far.

Certainly seemed a lack of professionalism in the upper corridors,found that disappointing,but not surprising.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

True, there is just no interest in the game outside Scotland (and not much interest in anyione except the old firm tbh).

I remarked on the small attendance at the conference, and after some reflection came to the conclusion that there are separate meetings for print media & broadcast media. The conferences shown were probably the broadcast media mob.

Also remember all the print media are not separate  corporate entities, multiple titles are owned by the same corporations hence fewer journos are needed to attend, and those who do, share the content across different titles.

1 hour ago, henryheart said:

Given all that was going on I found it all very superficial, bland and disappointing. It didn't even scratch the surface and I learned nothing that I didn't know already.

That'll be true for all Hearts fans. Many other football fans of all clubs will be watching and won't have the same insight into the club's problems at that time. The programme IMO is primarily aimed at non-Jambos, even if only for the purposes of boosting viewing figures. A documentary which is only of interest to Jambs would not attract a substantial audience.

Holyrood_Hearts

I really enjoyed episode 1. I’m kinda glad it didn’t focus too much on the pitch (like Sunderland til I Die does) & instead about behind the scenes and things like the FoH etc

Baring MacPhee, everyone else so far came across well (in hindsight I wonder if AM was dressed like he was due to being on camera😂

The next episode with Stendel should hopefully focus on him & what went on with the likes of Berra & Whelan. Still feel very sorry for DS & how he was treated by the Scottish media & ultimately by the club. 

I enjoyed it as I was dreading a car crash documentary which made us a laughing stock. I was surprised at the number of people who work there but the £2.5 million made from Hospitality probably justified their existence. Lockey came over exactly as he is a really friendly guy and Ann as a decent person who clearly has principles and class which are fairly rare in Scottish football. I still feel bad for Stendel but as was said at the time he was the right guy at the wrong time unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Tbh in general even with a ‘raised’ profile abroad I doubt you’d get many more. If the Stendel story was I.e. big in Germany in general networks there would still more than likely just piggyback onto the BBC’s report and translate/add their own comments. 

22 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

As per, this thread is honking with interlopers. 

As per, this thread is honking with those who can’t accept a range of views re the program on a message board of all places.

I can see how it was marmite. Not deep enough for some. Too much negative exposure for others. I found it boring, a couple of sequences apart. I really wanted to see the selection process at work. How did she trim the list down ? Who did she ask ? That could have been done without breaching anyone’s confidentiality or naming names.

Does that make me an interloper or just someone with an opinion on the program ?

Edited by JimmyCant

2 hours ago, Chimp said:

Was it just me or did it seem like Levein was welling up at one point when he was speaking? His eyes seemed pretty bloodshot 

He used the old onion trick before he was interviewed to gain sympathy.

The oldest trick in the book and one I’ve used many a time when going out for a beer on a Saturday after the game,  and then coming home disheveled on a Tuesday morning. 😢

3 hours ago, Chimp said:

Was it just me or did it seem like Levein was welling up at one point when he was speaking? His eyes seemed pretty bloodshot 

It was like he only just realised what everyone else around him knew for months before. I felt pretty sorry for the guy personally and it’s time to leave it alone probably, but he’s responsible for the mess we were in before Covid and it clearly hurt him when it dawned on him.

maroonlegions
16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

As per, this thread is honking with those who can’t accept a range of views re the program on a message board of all places.

I can see how it was marmite. Not deep enough for some. Too much negative exposure for others. I found it boring, a couple of sequences apart. I really wanted to see the selection process at work. How did she trim the list down ? Who did she ask ? That could have been done without breaching anyone’s confidentiality or naming names.

Does that make me an interloper or just someone with an opinion on the program ?

Only you will know if you are an interloper mate.

Your ranty like defence , well, fill yer boots.

Thought you had been emptied actually ,not heard  or seen you for a while.

Can't remember if you surfaced on the semi final thread after we yet again pumped Hibs oot of the big cup at Hampden AGAIN.

FTH.

3 hours ago, Chimp said:

Now he knows how we felt watching his football, my eyes were bleeding after every game!

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The recruitment process is quite self explanatory Tbh. 

Approach some candidates you like, some candidates might approach you, you shortlist, then interview then recruit the one that you think fits best. 

Pretty standard? 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Now he knows how we felt watching his football, my eyes were bleeding after every game!

Every game? 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Approach some candidates you like, some candidates might approach you, you shortlist, then interview, maybe more than once then recruit the one that you think fits best. 

Pretty standard? 

Ex member of the SaS

Was dreading what it would show and was pleasantly surprised. However the two things I took from that is; Levein knew he was shite and didn't do the right thing, even after Ann said he would be the first to say it, and being a PHM ( as some suggest ) he should have walked. I have said many times Levein and money are his only interest.

And two: IF we had such big names allegedly asking for an interview, why didn't we see them and why did it take so long to pick one? Ok some would have wanted huge wages, BUT, surely if you want an interview you would look into the circumstances of the club and know we were never going to push the boat out.

The players at the time have a lot to answer and they should never be bigger than the club. Stendel I feel would have done better had he been appointed a couple of weeks earlier ( but we had the sacking/leaving issue to sort out ) and McPhee couldn't get the players to respect the manager, so when Stendel came in he had already lost the battle.

For all the good Ann has done I get the feeling a lot of money has been wasted or mishandled and too many lies or misinformation ( mostly about the pitch ) means she brought upon herself a lot more stick than she should have.

HamishMcGonagall

Just watching it now - When Macphee goes up for a header in training at St. Andrew's and completely misses the ball and lands on his erse.... HAHAHA

28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Approach some candidates you like, some candidates might approach you, you shortlist, then interview then recruit the one that you think fits best. 

Pretty standard? 

It’s not really self explanatory and it’s certainly not open, unless you know what thought processes were applied to exclude some applications and progress others. Unless you know who was consulted or involved in the process of elimination. Do we think that only the financial director was consulted or do we think she consulted others. How and when did Stendel emerge as the front runner. There was a suggestion in the program that he was the preferred choice from day 1, although that wasn’t confirmed by AB. Would have given the episode a bit more depth if AB had been shown dealing with this in detail . A pile of CV’s  and the odd comment ‘ Good Guy, Good Guy, Cant ‘ without naming names would have been interesting. Did she do all that herself or did she have help with it is what I’m driving at.

50 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Only you will know if you are an interloper mate.

Your ranty like defence , well, fill yer boots.

Thought you had been emptied actually ,not heard  or seen you for a while.

Can't remember if you surfaced on the semi final thread after we yet again pumped Hibs oot of the big cup at Hampden AGAIN.

FTH.

Why would I be emptied ? Because you don’t agree with my views ? Seriously that gets you emptied from here ? You must be really important huh ?

I rarely post in match threads. I find they are over populated by people who don’t watch Hearts and I’m usually at the game or watching it on TV more commonly of late 

Edited by JimmyCant

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s not really self explanatory and it’s certainly not open, unless you know what thought processes were applied to exclude some applications and progress others. Unless you know who was consulted or involved in the process of elimination. Do we think that only the financial director was consulted or do we think she consulted others. How and when did Stendel emerge as the front runner. There was a suggestion in the program that he was the preferred choice from day 1, although that wasn’t confirmed by AB. Would have given the episode a bit more depth if AB had been shown dealing with this in detail . A pile of CV’s  and the odd comment ‘ Good Guy, Good Guy, Cant ‘ without naming names would have been interesting. Did she do all that herself or did she have help with it is what I’m driving at.

On a programme like this you can only show so much in the time given. I got the impression part 1 was setting the scene and introducing the main characters plus some background to why Stendel had to be brought in. The next two will be more explosive, following Stendel's attempts to turn our form around and then the pandemic hitting.

As for appointing Stendel, Budge had a checklist of things she wanted from a manager - style of football, experience, ability, affordability, willingness to promote young players, character... to many of us Stendel ticked all the boxes, same as Neilson. It's not hard to see how his CV would have stood out immediately. The German and Bundesliga thing wouldn't have hurt given German coaches are all the rage right now.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

The recruitment process for most companies is boring as **** Tbh and as previous stated pretty uniform for every club. 

Who cares who was involved or not, Budge is in charge and makes the call? 

Stendel was appointed by her. 

Maybe you wanted a more in depth look at it - fair doos but football recruitment is pretty standard and unexciting imo. 

I Hope they don't waste to much time on it Tbh in the future as it's only 3 parts. 

I think I'm gonna wait and watch all 3 together, Not a fan of a cliffhanger. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

The recruitment process for most companies is boring as **** Tbh and as previous stated pretty uniform for every club. 

Who cares who was involved or not, Budge is in charge and makes the call? 

Stendel was appointed by her. 

Maybe you wanted a more in depth look at it - fair doos but football recruitment is pretty standard and unexciting imo. 

I Hope they don't waste to much time on it Tbh in the future as it's only 3 parts. 

I think I'm gonna wait and watch all 3 together, Not a fan of a cliffhanger. 

A cliffhanger where we all know the ending.

My thoughts on the documentary were that the production was a bit amateurish but in fairness, it was BBC Scotland. I wouldn't expect anything more.

Levein did come across as quite emotional about the whole thing then i remembered that when he was sacked he was still hanging around instead of manning up and walking away. I can't imagine Stendel would've been happy about a sacked manager still looking over him or even still at the club. 

McPhee came across just as i expected him to, dull, couldn't work out how to change things (learnt from his head coach in all honesty) so it was no surprise the players didn't know what to do either. No leadership. 

Shame the documentary had a bit of a "meh!" feel about it. Thought it was slightly disappointing. Not enough focus on games Levein was involved in, fan reaction and thoughts and more interested in following Ann Budge around knocking on office doors. I will watch it again. Sometimes you see things you've missed first time around but i am hoping that part 2 is much more substance. 

I am still glad the documentary team chose to do Hearts as opposed to anyone else. Imagine all the arse-licking that would've been going on if it had been Celtic for example? Or how dull and boring it would've been if they chose a Motherwell or Ross County? No managerial changes? No controversy? I believe there would be a lot more that was filmed during Levein's last months than what was or will be shown.

Looking for a step-up in quality and content for parts two & three.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

A cliffhanger where we all know the ending.

Aye, but we all know that, it's the road we take that was interesting! 

I know I  don't want 3 hours on our HR function! 😂

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Just watching it now - When Macphee goes up for a header in training at St. Andrew's and completely misses the ball and lands on his erse.... HAHAHA

I feel a bit sorry for McPhee. He didn't deserve the focus on him. The producers clearly decided to fit the pandemic story in they had to start from Stendel's appointment which means more focus on McPhee than Levein in terms of the "fly on the wall" stuff.

Wonder if the next part will show how Perrera was the best at dodge ball at the club.

Still say a half decent keeper and we wouldn't have been bottom 

I've heard today from a couple of non Hearts football supporters who all thought it was a decent and interesting programme. Our perspective as Hearts supporters is different, it all means so much more and we would all have opinions on last season we want to see endorsed in the programme. A lot of the complaints here would be echoed by season ticket holders at Real Kashmir complaining their documentary spent far too long chatting to the manager's Mrs 😉

Edited by RobboM

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

On a programme like this you can only show so much in the time given. I got the impression part 1 was setting the scene and introducing the main characters plus some background to why Stendel had to be brought in. The next two will be more explosive, following Stendel's attempts to turn our form around and then the pandemic hitting.

As for appointing Stendel, Budge had a checklist of things she wanted from a manager - style of football, experience, ability, affordability, willingness to promote young players, character... to many of us Stendel ticked all the boxes, same as Neilson. It's not hard to see how his CV would have stood out immediately. The German and Bundesliga thing wouldn't have hurt given German coaches are all the rage right now.

I said at the time of Stendel's appointment that it would take him 18 months to turn the club around.  Stendel was exactly the appointment that she herself said she was looking for. Someone who wants to work hard with young players, he did, improve some of the players already at the club, he did, a more attacking style of play, again he did. I watched the Barnsley video on YouTube at the time and what was said and what Ann Budge wanted was almost identical. Stendel was the right appointment but it came too late. He was given a poor hand to start with. Too many players in their Levein bubble or comfort zone. He got rid of a few non-triers but was never going to be able to lose too many at the one time. It was going to have to be one or two here and there as often as he could until he was rid of the ones he was unhappy about. I still believe he would've given us a real attractive team to watch and be proud of. He was never given long enough to prove himself because of Covid which is why i would never slate the guy on a 3/4 month stretch.

Why are people expecting match highlights and more about our on field woes at the time? The title of the program surely must give it away......INSIDE Tynecastle.

Dennis Reynolds
9 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Wonder if the next part will show how Perrera was the best at dodge ball at the club.

Still say a half decent keeper and we wouldn't have been bottom 

Whilst it's obviously hard to prove it, I am more than happy to say, FACT, if we had Craig Gordon in goals last season we would 100% not have been relegated.

I reckon even I could have saved us a few points if I was in goals and my experience is from five a sides and high school football 😂

48 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Was dreading what it would show and was pleasantly surprised. However the two things I took from that is; Levein knew he was shite and didn't do the right thing, even after Ann said he would be the first to say it, and being a PHM ( as some suggest ) he should have walked. I have said many times Levein and money are his only interest.

And two: IF we had such big names allegedly asking for an interview, why didn't we see them and why did it take so long to pick one? Ok some would have wanted huge wages, BUT, surely if you want an interview you would look into the circumstances of the club and know we were never going to push the boat out.

The players at the time have a lot to answer and they should never be bigger than the club. Stendel I feel would have done better had he been appointed a couple of weeks earlier ( but we had the sacking/leaving issue to sort out ) and McPhee couldn't get the players to respect the manager, so when Stendel came in he had already lost the battle.

For all the good Ann has done I get the feeling a lot of money has been wasted or mishandled and too many lies or misinformation ( mostly about the pitch ) means she brought upon herself a lot more stick than she should have.

Are you really saying managers who applied for the job should have been named on camera, interviewed and then made to face the camera just to please you ?

Your naivety in regards to managers applying for the post is just laughable...agents work for managers and fire off CV's at a moments notice..they don't stop to think about the club and it's needs financially or otherwise and a manger does not know initially the salary on offer...much of it is done to keep them in the public eye

So much nonsense and again another chance to put the boot onto Levein/Budge which lets face it is the reason for your post

1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

He used the old onion trick before he was interviewed to gain sympathy.

The oldest trick in the book and one I’ve used many a time when going out for a beer on a Saturday after the game,  and then coming home disheveled on a Tuesday morning. 😢

Why am I not surprised at that 😂😂

joondalupjambo

Low budget effort from BBC Scotland or not I thought is was good.  Obviously the outcome perhaps sways a few folk but seeing Hearts fans, real people, parts of the city, the ground, the players, seeing behind the scenes as well as all the staff at the club and the chat, yep all good for me.  It made me feel even more connected to the club.  

26 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I said at the time of Stendel's appointment that it would take him 18 months to turn the club around.  Stendel was exactly the appointment that she herself said she was looking for. Someone who wants to work hard with young players, he did, improve some of the players already at the club, he did, a more attacking style of play, again he did. I watched the Barnsley video on YouTube at the time and what was said and what Ann Budge wanted was almost identical. Stendel was the right appointment but it came too late. He was given a poor hand to start with. Too many players in their Levein bubble or comfort zone. He got rid of a few non-triers but was never going to be able to lose too many at the one time. It was going to have to be one or two here and there as often as he could until he was rid of the ones he was unhappy about. I still believe he would've given us a real attractive team to watch and be proud of. He was never given long enough to prove himself because of Covid which is why i would never slate the guy on a 3/4 month stretch.

Pretty much where I'm at. Felt really sorry for Stendel and the way he was treated with regards to Robbie coming in (however, I'm a big fan of RN and not complaining he's running things.) 

I just wish Stendel had been given this season to get his ethos across and own players bedded in - would have been interesting.