BBC Scotland TV Series - Inside Tynecastle

August Landmesser

6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Levein seemed to end up doing a few things : he "ended up" taking the job because it was Hearts (BIG pause while he chose his rather unexhuberant  response) and then he "ended up" splitting off his time between manager & DOF roles. Talk about damned by faint praise. 

I watched 20 mins or so on iPlayer - that was enough. 

It seems to me the producers have switched the narrative from the catastrophic football failures to the pandemic/demotion  when I really was hoping to see what really happened during Levein's shit show. 

How did they switch the narrative? It’s not like they started filming because they were going to get ‘catastrophic’ football. The whole series was supposed to be a behind the scenes of the stadium operations.  It just so happened we were utter crap, went to bottom of the league as a world wide pandemic hit. 
I agree there’s a few fluffy bits in it so I’m hoping to see a bit more interesting viewing when corona comes along.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• kila

• davemclaren

Who at the BBC should I contact for my extras payment.

Sure I was in it v St Midden

Anyone else?

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, allystrachan said:

How did they switch the narrative? It’s not like they started filming because they were going to get ‘catastrophic’ football. The whole series was supposed to be a behind the scenes of the stadium operations.  It just so happened we were utter crap, went to bottom of the league as a world wide pandemic hit. 
I agree there’s a few fluffy bits in it so I’m hoping to see a bit more interesting viewing when corona comes along.

I think he’s referring to his own narrative, to be fair. 😄

7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Levein seemed to end up doing a few things : he "ended up" taking the job because it was Hearts (BIG pause while he chose his rather unexhuberant  response) and then he "ended up" splitting off his time between manager & DOF roles. Talk about damned by faint praise. 

I watched 20 mins or so on iPlayer - that was enough. 

It seems to me the producers have switched the narrative from the catastrophic football failures to the pandemic/demotion  when I really was hoping to see what really happened during Levein's shit show. 

I suppose it depends when the production team goes in, what preconceptions they had, if the narrative changes and by how much.

The base commissioning was 3 hourly programmes.

A lot to throw in in such a short space of time even if we had just stuck with Levein for the whole season.

It was pretty tame - what I took out of it is the club was too nice and too soft from top to bottom, and the players seemed genuinely unconcerned about the position we were in, almost like they just expected to click effortlessly. Malaise ruled. 

I still think Stendel is a missed opportunity, but inevitable given how demotion unfolded. We'll only truly appreciate this when we're back in the top flight and capitulating at Ibrox or Parkhead having set up to play in our own half and sneak a nil-nil. I thought Naismith's words about his style were telling. A forwards dream. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I suppose it depends when the production team goes in, what preconceptions they had, if the narrative changes and by how much.

The base commissioning was 3 hourly programmes.

A lot to throw in in such a short space of time even if we had just stuck with Levein for the whole season.

Good documentary makers react on their toes. This lot either didn’t have the wit or the stones to do a proper job.

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Have to agree. All these fly on the wall documentaries are terrible unless you're close to the subject matter, plus they're going to be tame as they need the club's cooperation to get it made. The best sport documentaries are after the fact ones made years later, like the recent Maradona one, or the ESPN 30 for 30 series, or the Last Dance. 

Have a watch of this, maybe it was made during simpler times when an 'access all areas' documentary was easier to get permission for.

Compare and contrast, Jim Telfer an inspirational leader of men, and Austin Macphee, boring, monotone, thinks spouting stats is a substitute for leadership.

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

He came over as humble and decent imo.  Felt for him I don't mind saying. Even admitted he failed pretty much.

Really enjoyed episode 1 much more than I thought I would.   Really interested to hear from all aspects of the club.    Yeah, I know it's ultimately about results on the park but it made me feel really proud of my club.

Totally agree with you felt really sorry for him. Yes I also wanted him to go as results and style of play were terrible however he loves hearts to the point the man had a heart scare so some of the foul comments on him were way over the top. 

51 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Love Gary Locke. He is just pure Hearts. 

Exactly, came across well. His current role looks like a good fit for him and the club.

6 minutes ago, NEWSTAND said:

Totally agree with you felt really sorry for him. Yes I also wanted him to go as results and style of play were terrible however he loves hearts to the point the man had a heart scare so some of the foul comments on him were way over the top. 

Well said.

7 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

I definitely don't want to watch that, I'm just more interested to see more behind the scenes stuff. It did seem like a lot was stuffed into an hour worth of programme. 

Perhaps they had to drop a lot of stuff to enable them to cover the late season drama. 

A lot to fit in to 3 x 1 hour programmes. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

The highlight for me was MacPhee shouting instructions during training to Meshino in Japanese 😂. But I do agree the consensus that he came across a bit of a knob.

You can see how much Levein is hurt by what happened. The guy is as big a fan as us.

Fair play to the groundsman as well. I'm in a similar boat and would be going nowhere near the camera if that was me.

Thought some his snippets in training were quite good - he got very involved in the drills, and I particularly like the one when he was running with a ball under each arm shouting "come on you've gotta run faster than me!"... But it was his interviews and comments to the cameras that I didn't like and thought made him look quite smarmy and almost a bit weird. And aye, a bit of a knob.

Gary Locke was good. Just a true, die-hard Jambo and a very likeable and outgoing guy. Think he'll feature quite a lot just because of his personality. 

I thought the meeting between AB and the Finance woman was super cringey and was all for show. I don't think it was necessary for her to be sitting bumming up the club like that and it also made her look very amateurish and overwhelmed. I'm also very surprised to hear that out of 70+ applicants, some ex-international managers, some very big names apparently, that Stendel was the best candidate from day one. Would absolutely love to know who applied... 

Overall it just made me really miss going to the games. Very much looking forward to the next episode. 

Edited by Batistuta87

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Thought some his snippets in training were actually quite good - he got very involved in the drills, and I particularly like the one when he was running with a ball under each arm shouting "come on you've gotta run faster than me!"... But it was his interviews and comments to the cameras that I didn't like and thought made him look quite smarmy and almost a bit weird. 

Gary Locke was good. Just a true, die-hard Jambo and a very likeable and outgoing guy. 

I thought the meeting between AB and the Finance woman was super cringey and was all for show. I don't think it was necessary for her to be sitting bumming up the club like that and it also made her look very amateurish and overwhelmed. I'm also very surprised to hear that out of 70+ applicants, some ex-international managers, some very big names apparently, that Stendel was the best candidate from day one. Would absolutely love to know who applied... 

Overall it just made me really miss going to the games. Very much looking forward to the next episode. 

Suppose Stendel (in their opinion) was best candidate for the budget involved.

Diadora Van Basten

Do you know the bit on Ronaldo tested to the limit when they switch off the lights and Ronald the amateur player tries to head the ball. That’s what MacPhee was like except the lights were on.

The football department was filled with chancers who didn’t have a clue what they were doing and bang average players. To spend that amount of money and get demoted is quite some feat.

Everyone just seems waiting for things to turn around and nobody is identifying the issues that need sorted.

4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Suppose Stendel (in their opinion) was best candidate for the budget involved.

True. I would have thought that at the time of hiring, we would have had a fairly decent budget for a Scottish club. I think we still do, to be fair. 

Would love to see who some of these big names were and to wonder what could have been! 

I enjoyed it. Not sure I learned much that was new but it did seem to confirm some of the things that had only been rumoured until now. 

Edited by Cut The Crap

Салатные палочки
25 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Exactly, came across well. His current role looks like a good fit for him and the club.

Imagine, as a Heart's fan, your job was to cut about Tynecastle every day and on match days (pre covid) meet and greet members of the public and tell them about our club then go and watch the game.  

The guy is living the dream.  

43 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Have a watch of this, maybe it was made during simpler times when an 'access all areas' documentary was easier to get permission for.

Compare and contrast, Jim Telfer an inspirational leader of men, and Austin Macphee, boring, monotone, thinks spouting stats is a substitute for leadership.

That was a famous one-off and unfair to compare it to run of the mill league games. 

Even Mourinho’s pregame chats were a bit insipid tbh

I doubt players listen too much to those final words anyway. 

Prince Buaben

didn't think it was that bad. No surprises they used a lot of Gary Locke. MacPhee came across as a knob. 

Reckon they have a lot worse on film but the pandemic has meant that a lot of focus will be on what happened after march

11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

True. I would have thought that at the time of hiring, we would have had a fairly decent budget for a Scottish club. I think we still do, to be fair. 

Would love to see who some of these big names were and to wonder what could have been! 

The challenge I suppose is whether to  waste energies on chasing Davie Moyes when his agent has sent in his CV and it is for no other reason than to remind people he is available.

Would have been better TV I suppose if Budge had said 'look we have a budget and some of these guys not only are well out if it, imo taking the piss'

How we would have laughed at the time.

Edited by DETTY29

scott herbertson
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I thought of Steve Maclaren when they mentioned managing big international sides

Perth to Paisley
11 hours ago, SectionFJambo said:

Seeing the inside of the offices etc. you do have to wonder where all the money went 

Offices are under the Wheatfield

Press Room in Main

Hagar the Horrible

The Telfer speach at the time it was first broadcast had me wanting to run through a brick wall,  I think the playhers turned into Blue Hulks after that, probably all had to go up 2 jersey sizes

Салатные палочки
22 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Working  for another club or NHS

She's at Inverness is she not?  I'm sure I seen her taking someone off the pitch on Saturday.  

Ainsley Harriott

Over at datemysister.net they are annoyed the show didn't delve into our finances with Ann. Soon as things go wrong the calculators come out 😂

SectionDJambo
4 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Over at datemysister.net they are annoyed the show didn't delve into our finances with Ann. Soon as things go wrong the calculators come out 😂

My goodness.

They really are ruined, aren't they. Brainwashed nitwits who still think their club is some shining light of honesty, flair and innovation.

Didn't they hear Ann Budge explain her loan to Hearts, or see and hear the FOH board meeting? £125,000 each month from fans who want to, and are able to, help their club.

Салатные палочки
12 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

They're not happy that they couldn't take some real ammunition from it to make up for another shagging from us last wee, so take to slagging the appearance of some of our fans :laugh2:.

They are broken and might possibly never recover.  

12 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

So their Scotsman cheerleader - Aidan Smith - expected a reality show where Gary Locke would be given bushtucker trials and now the peasants expected it to be a 3-part expose of the club CARRIED OUT WITH THE FULL AGREEMENT OF THE CLUB 🤣🤣🤣

And what financial irregularities were they expecting to see? Genuine question to the Forum.

The issue isn't with the documentary but with folks expectations of it.

It was never billed as a warts and all, deep dive into the shit storm of Levein etc.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
47 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I don't doubt his heart was in the right place, but the impression I got was of a businessman who is involved in football. Not as charismatic as he needs to be, which means that, when Cathro was around, no wonder the players had no motivation or clue what to do. Good luck to him, but thankfully he's not involved anymore.

McPhee came across at the time (and does in the doc) as a massive chancer - someone who uses science he doesn’t really understand to make himself seem clever. 

I can't bring myself to watch it. I'd hate myself if I watched it and felt any sympathy for that tit of a manager last season.

Jambo or not, he screwed us big time with his mismanagement.

10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

McPhee came across at the time (and does in the doc) as a massive chancer - someone who uses science he doesn’t really understand to make himself seem clever. 

To me McPhee has been used as cannon fodder, Ann Budge will have made sure Levien is untouched, the BBC would want someone to look culpable and it looks like McPhee has been put forward for that role. 

It was apparent the players had little respect for him, which is basically how players behave these days. No regard for the club or fans it's all about them.

Well see in part 2 how they respond to Stendal, however it's obvious too many chancers were on the playing staff.

One thing we should all be able to say now is than **** Robbie is back.

37 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Deary me that lot need therapy, the bitterness still active then.

I really enjoyed it. 

Ideally it would have given more time to the Levein out debate given that it had gone on for a year or so and was a much bigger story than McPhee. But I guess it is down to when they started filming.

Great to hear from the guys behind the scenes. Enjoyed watching the women's team win their league and celebrating afterwards.

I'm now buzzing for the Daniel Stendel era all over again! 

5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Deary me that lot need therapy, the bitterness still active then.

Hibs are a classic metaphor for what bitterness and resentment can do to you,  I t always does a lot more damage to the one nurturing that bitterness then those they are bitter against.

If it wasn't for the fact I wouldn't want to swear in the pulpit, I could use them as the perfect illustration for the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant in Matthew 18, "turned over to the torturers" - i.e. in this case their own resentment.

4 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I really enjoyed it. 

Ideally it would have given more time to the Levein out debate given that it had gone on for a year or so and was a much bigger story than McPhee. But I guess it is down to when they started filming.

Great to hear from the guys behind the scenes. Enjoyed watching the women's team win their league and celebrating afterwards.

I'm now buzzing for the Daniel Stendel era all over again! 

Agreed!

30 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I can't bring myself to watch it. I'd hate myself if I watched it and felt any sympathy for that tit of a manager last season.

Jambo or not, he screwed us big time with his mismanagement.

Based on his contribution last night, I suspect he agrees with your last sentence.

Overall the level of general cluelessness on show from Budge, Levein, and MacPhee was far higher than I’d anticipated.

A slight worry given that only two of them have been removed from the picture so far.

Not sure why so many on hear sagging off AB. The producers agreed the terms of access before all the crap happened. They are on record as saying AB and the rest of Hearts employees stuck to the agreement. No whitewashing. 

Салатные палочки
9 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Was it just me or did it seem like Levein was welling up at one point when he was speaking? His eyes seemed pretty bloodshot 

Sounded like he had a lump in his throat right enough.  Can't blame him really, he's a Hearts man and wanted to do his best.  I genuinely think he thought in his head he could turn it around but it was apparent to everyone else that he couldn't.  Will probably still be hurting from the mess he left us in.  

29 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Hibs are a classic metaphor for what bitterness and resentment can do to you,  I t always does a lot more damage to the one nurturing that bitterness then those they are bitter against.

If it wasn't for the fact I wouldn't want to swear in the pulpit, I could use them as the perfect illustration for the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant in Matthew 18, "turned over to the torturers" - i.e. in this case their own resentment.

very good,👍