BBC Scotland TV Series - Inside Tynecastle

August Landmesser

The Real Maroonblood
On 04/11/2020 at 11:13, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

A fantastic conclusion to this programme would be a “Phoenix rising from the ashes” story - from expulsion to pumping Hibs to reach the Scottish cup final.......that unfortunately will not be on the BBC’s agenda!

That would be great.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

• kila

• davemclaren

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/what-expect-bbc-scotlands-hearts-documentary-ahead-mondays-first-episode-3028290

What to expect from BBC Scotland's Hearts documentary ahead of Monday's first episode

The three-part series, titled This Is Our Story: Inside Hearts, tells the tale of a unique year at Tynecastle Park during the 2019/20 season.

Cameras go behind the scenes to capture the final weeks of former manager Craig Levein’s tenure, owner Ann Budge’s hunt for his successor, the brief Daniel Stendel era and the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, including a court battle after relegation.

Produced for the BBC by Glasgow-based Two Rivers Media, it also shows various departments including groundstaff, media and retail.

The initial attraction for the series centred around the planned change of ownership to fan group Foundation of Hearts. What ensued was something totally unprecedented.

The producer’s insight

Mick McAvoy, executive producer of the series, told the Evening News: “I previously made a documentary with the Scottish rugby team so I knew this sort of thing could be really fascinating.

“When you see the Sunderland and Man City programmes coming out, there was a lot of talk of who could be a good team to cover in Scotland.

“We approached Hearts because they were about to become Scotland’s biggest fan-owned football club. Their women’s team were also getting more integrated into the club.

“Ann Budge is also a fascinating person. She is a female football club owner trying to build a fan-owned business and is very much a woman in a man’s world. All of those elements made it intriguing. You also want a team with a big fanbase.

“Everybody at Hearts was really open and Ann was true to her word throughout. I’m sure there were moments – when they were facing problems with management, on the pitch, finances and the pandemic – where they wished the TV crew weren’t there.

“They made an agreement and Ann stuck to it.

“The ambition was to look at a football club as a business. It’s not just on the pitch, it’s how do you make money from hospitality, transfer windows, broadcast rights?

“What was happening on the field became such a big story as the season evolved. Hearts went through three managers and then a pandemic.

“Filming safely during a pandemic and not losing track of events unfolding in courts, at Hampden and Tynecastle was a challenge.

“We planned for an observational documentary about a football club during an intriguing year as they did something different.

“What it became was an observational documentary following a really big club as it goes through a number of stresses and strains that you couldn’t have planned for.”

No holes barred

Honesty is one of the programme’s key highlights, as McAvoy explained.

“Craig Levein’s emotion about how tough it was being sacked from a job he loved is something many fans won’t have seen,” he added.

“In the second episode, Daniel Stendel arrives at Tynecastle and in many ways he feels like a man from another planet.

“The results still aren’t running for them when they are hit by the pandemic. We see how the club react, which is quite dramatic. It became an existential crisis for Hearts.

"In programme three, you get an inside look at the biggest story in Scottish football over the summer. They were under all these stresses and strains whilst we were in lockdown.”

On 03/06/2020 at 00:01, Cruyff said:

Do you think you enjoyed them though because they were about other teams? 

I just think about the Sunderland one. How would i feel as one of their supporters watching that? It was really embarrassing for them. Half their team couldn't care and were going home with 80 grand a week. It was really sad to see what a mess they were. 

That big simpleton manager at the start of the season talking about promotion. Oh, we need two good keepers and he goes and signs Luke Steele & Robin Ruiter who make Perreira look like Lev Yashin.

That big sleezeball Martin Bain acting like he had a clue what he was doing, Mr calm and in control. By the end it left you thinking these guys were utterly delusional, especially Bain. 

We're already a laughing stock, now we're going to allow supporters of other clubs revel in our misery even more with this TV show. 🤷

I can understand the curiosity of it and wanting to see an inside view of Hearts but it will be like watching the Office, but real, a total cringefest. 

Each to their own. I'll have to watch it if it Airs but it will be soooo bad for us, we're going to look like incompetent muppets. 😬

I don't know how I could possibly watch it and think, hmmm enjoyed revisting the worst season ever.  :laugh2:

Nailed it, Johan.

But I will watch it and no doubt be squirming all the way through.

I have no problem watching this. I think it will be fascinating and not some sort of cringe fest as some are predicting.

We are a business and every business has ups and downs wether they be financial or operational or even both at the same time. 

It’s important to accept we have made mistakes. It’s important to learn from those mistakes and it’s important to move on.

What ever comes from the 3 episodes it’s all in the past. We carry on and we roll our sleeves up and get on with it.

It appears Ann has embraced the whole thing warts n all and so should we.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised that the image of the club will not suffer. Instead i think it will come out rather well.

been here before
10 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I have no problem watching this. I think it will be fascinating and not some sort of cringe fest as some are predicting.

We are a business and every business has ups and downs wether they be financial or operational or even both at the same time. 

It’s important to accept we have made mistakes. It’s important to learn from those mistakes and it’s important to move on.

What ever comes from the 3 episodes it’s all in the past. We carry on and we roll our sleeves up and get on with it.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised that the image of the club will not suffer. Instead i think it will come out rather well.

Pretty much nailed it. Some of the responses on this thread make you wonder how some folk cope with every day life.

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I will be tuned in at 9pm Monday.

Yep.

No point in being in denial of what happened over last year(s)

2 hours ago, kila said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/what-expect-bbc-scotlands-hearts-documentary-ahead-mondays-first-episode-3028290

What to expect from BBC Scotland's Hearts documentary ahead of Monday's first episode

The three-part series, titled This Is Our Story: Inside Hearts, tells the tale of a unique year at Tynecastle Park during the 2019/20 season.

Cameras go behind the scenes to capture the final weeks of former manager Craig Levein’s tenure, owner Ann Budge’s hunt for his successor, the brief Daniel Stendel era and the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, including a court battle after relegation.

Produced for the BBC by Glasgow-based Two Rivers Media, it also shows various departments including groundstaff, media and retail.

The initial attraction for the series centred around the planned change of ownership to fan group Foundation of Hearts. What ensued was something totally unprecedented.

The producer’s insight

Mick McAvoy, executive producer of the series, told the Evening News: “I previously made a documentary with the Scottish rugby team so I knew this sort of thing could be really fascinating.

“When you see the Sunderland and Man City programmes coming out, there was a lot of talk of who could be a good team to cover in Scotland.

“We approached Hearts because they were about to become Scotland’s biggest fan-owned football club. Their women’s team were also getting more integrated into the club.

“Ann Budge is also a fascinating person. She is a female football club owner trying to build a fan-owned business and is very much a woman in a man’s world. All of those elements made it intriguing. You also want a team with a big fanbase.

“Everybody at Hearts was really open and Ann was true to her word throughout. I’m sure there were moments – when they were facing problems with management, on the pitch, finances and the pandemic – where they wished the TV crew weren’t there.

“They made an agreement and Ann stuck to it.

“The ambition was to look at a football club as a business. It’s not just on the pitch, it’s how do you make money from hospitality, transfer windows, broadcast rights?

“What was happening on the field became such a big story as the season evolved. Hearts went through three managers and then a pandemic.

“Filming safely during a pandemic and not losing track of events unfolding in courts, at Hampden and Tynecastle was a challenge.

“We planned for an observational documentary about a football club during an intriguing year as they did something different.

“What it became was an observational documentary following a really big club as it goes through a number of stresses and strains that you couldn’t have planned for.”

No holes barred

Honesty is one of the programme’s key highlights, as McAvoy explained.

“Craig Levein’s emotion about how tough it was being sacked from a job he loved is something many fans won’t have seen,” he added.

“In the second episode, Daniel Stendel arrives at Tynecastle and in many ways he feels like a man from another planet.

“The results still aren’t running for them when they are hit by the pandemic. We see how the club react, which is quite dramatic. It became an existential crisis for Hearts.

"In programme three, you get an inside look at the biggest story in Scottish football over the summer. They were under all these stresses and strains whilst we were in lockdown.”

“No holes barred”

:rofl:

:oohmatron:

It really is high time The Scotsman and the Evening News just accepted that they’re hopelessly amateurish junk written and edited by a bunch of semi-literates (I’m being kind here), and simply closed down quietly.

8 minutes ago, leginten said:

“No holes barred”

:rofl:

:oohmatron:

It really is high time The Scotsman and the Evening News just accepted that they’re hopelessly amateurish junk written and edited by a bunch of semi-literates (I’m being kind here), and simply closed down quietly.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Evening News is written by an Algorithm. 

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

Big Slim Stylee
4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I agree with this. I’m not exactly “looking forward to it“ but it’s all done and dusted and I can’t imagine not tuning in. I’m expecting it to show a lot of good as well as...atrocious.

Just read Aidan Smith’s critique of the programme. His bitterness about all things Hearts illustrates the depth of his hurt and warms the cockles of my heart.

8 minutes ago, Papa said:

Just read Aidan Smith’s critique of the programme. His bitterness about all things Hearts illustrates the depth of his hurt and warms the cockles of my heart.

He really is the epitome of Hibernian. Smug, condescending, clawingly fawning over a litany of failed humans that turned out for hibs, and holds an opinion of himself which is not even remotely in keeping with his actual status. 

I was going to post a link from the Scotsman and that green eyed welt Aidan Smith but I don’t want to spoil your Sunday roast. 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Papa said:

has he seen it? 

9 minutes ago, Sow Easy said:

Is there gonna be a way for Americans to watch this? Got a friend over who wants to see it. 

Maybe get it on youtube  at some point.

39 minutes ago, Sow Easy said:

Is there gonna be a way for Americans to watch this? Got a friend over who wants to see it. 

Is there not a BBC America channel? May pop up on it.

Jack Torrance
On 07/11/2020 at 10:41, Gershwin said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Evening News is written by an Algorithm. 

I shouldn't let it annoy me but ffs it's their job.

Edited by Jack Torrance

7 hours ago, Papa said:

Just had a look. 

The usual incomprehensible, snide, smug garbage we have come to expect from Smith. 

Dagger Is Back
On 07/11/2020 at 09:14, Vlad Magic said:

100% agree. We made mistakes as you say, as does every business. We were expelled last season, and this programme will ensure that that fact is never forgotten. It's publicity for us and highlights just how far we've come since 2012 

Dagger Is Back
8 hours ago, Papa said:

I read it too and loved his article from the off. The hurt in this wee one is real. I hope he stays for a very long time so we can continue to feast on his innermost thoughts and fears.

The pain we've caused these surrender monkeys down through the years sustains me even in my darkest moments.

Thank you Aidan

Can see the Hibs fans laughter at us far enough. The big thing here is, WE were the ones approached for this documentary.

Whilst I’m looking forward to this, I do expect some cringey moments, but what I will say is this is indeed OUR STORY!

12 hours ago, D4nny_ said:

Can see the Hibs fans laughter at us far enough. The big thing here is, WE were the ones approached for this documentary.

Whilst I’m looking forward to this, I do expect some cringey moments, but what I will say is this is indeed OUR STORY!

We all know who gets the last laugh! between us .

I am looking forward to it I wonder if it will be similar to the spurs one speaking to players and following them home in the car or out of training . 

Just hoping its not all Levein :flag1: 

The game last weekend is going to have lost the BBC a whooooole lot of viewers for this. Let's be honest, Hibs fans would have been licking their lips at this for months now but last season is ancient history compared to what we've just done to them. How can they watch it and laugh knowing this shambles of a championship club went on to spank them at Hampden...again...for the third time on the trot?

No chance I'd have watched this prior to the semi but I'm a fickle ******* and am now quite looking forward to it. 

Edited by haj

stuckinsunderland
13 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I read it too and loved his article from the off. The hurt in this wee one is real. I hope he stays for a very long time so we can continue to feast on his innermost thoughts and fears.

The pain we've caused these surrender monkeys down through the years sustains me even in my darkest moments.

Thank you Aidan

having read the reviews of Smiths review, I decided to have a look.

That's an awful lot of words to say "I'm too thick to get the point and I'm a bitter Hibbee"

On 12/08/2020 at 10:40, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think this documentary will get us a lot of interest and profile outside Scotland.

I think overall it will show us as the club we are - passionate, a club with Heart and values, and a hell of a one season story.

I’d be surprised if our profile and brand don’t benefit from this.

The club is not the players or a shite manager

The club is its history, it’s values and its fans

Very good chance with Gary Locke etc featured. 

20 hours ago, Sow Easy said:

BBC iPlayer, no doubt, but do not know how long it will be downloadable for.

As we join the ranks of Man City, Sunderland, Liverpool and Spurs as teams deemed big enough and interesting enough to have a TV documentary made about them, remember this.

If any of your Hibs mates try and have a go at you for any of the content, just remind them that they were deemed big enough and interesting enough to appear on Celebrity Antiques Road Trip! 🙂 

Edited by tamanov

3 hours ago, haj said:

The game last weekend is going to have lost the BBC a whooooole lot of viewers for this. Let's be honest, Hibs fans would have been licking their lips at this for months now but last season is ancient history compared to what we've just done to them. How can they watch it and laugh knowing this shambles of a championship club went on to spank them at Hampden...again...for the third time on the trot?

No chance I'd have watched this prior to the semi but I'm a fickle ******* and am now quite looking forward to it. 

On hibs net they have been talking and looking forward to this for weeks now, getting popcorn ect out and can’t wait. 
 After last weekend they are now saying they aren’t interested and it will just be the BBC making us out to be victims 

The viewing figure have went from sky high down leith way to rock bottom in the matter of 120 mins 

On 08/11/2020 at 05:50, Papa said:

I can't stand the guy. Absolutely despises us.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 08/11/2020 at 04:50, Papa said:

From his Twitter:

"Encouraged by their own ego to make a reality show about themselves, Hearts then forced their fans into a season-long jungle trial as watching 2019-20 was like chewing on kangaroo testicles. My preview of This Is Our Story."

This is a guy who has written two "reality-style" books about himself.

Good to see Ewan Murray tear into him.

Edit: Just read his piece now. That's a shocker even by his standards.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

From his Twitter:

"Encouraged by their own ego to make a reality show about themselves, Hearts then forced their fans into a season-long jungle trial as watching 2019-20 was like chewing on kangaroo testicles. My preview of This Is Our Story."

Maybe he just likes to lick the kangaroos testicles 🤷‍♂️

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, One five said:

Maybe he just likes to lick the kangaroos testicles 🤷‍♂️

That was a strange line. He doesn't seem to know the difference between documentary and realty TV show. And he seems very disappointed it's not the laugh for Hibs fans he thought it was going to be.

The thing about Smith's writing is, like a lot of Hibs fans, he never acknowledges that for all Hearts faults, we have consistently done much better than his club over the long-term. He writes like Hibs are still 2016 cup winning Hibs and not 7th in the Premiership last season and gubbed out the cup by their neighbours Hibs.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

God, I despise Aidan Smith. What a bell end.

The only point on which I agree with him though is that this will be a waste of time if it doesn’t provide proper insight into what went wrong. That, until the lockdown, was the only story last season.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That was a strange line. He doesn't seem to know the difference between documentary and realty TV show. And he seems very disappointed it's not the laugh for Hibs fans he thought it was going to be.

The thing about Smith's writing is, like a lot of Hibs fans, he never acknowledges that for all Hearts faults, we have consistently done much better than his club over the long-term. He writes like Hibs are still 2016 cup winning Hibs and not 7th in the Premiership last season and gubbed out the cup by their neighbours Hibs.

He’s actually still stuck in the famous five era. Prick.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

God, I despise Aidan Smith. What a bell end.

The only point on which I agree with him though is that this will be a waste of time if it doesn’t provide proper insight into what went wrong. That, until the lockdown, was the only story last season.

From reading Smith's "review" I don't think it's going to be the warts and all thing he seemed to be looking forward to. It's going to be lots of interviews with people in the club giving their views during a very bad season, not some hidden camera filming everything. I'm just interested in seeing behind the scenes personally.

36 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

From his Twitter:

Edit: Just read his piece now. That's a shocker even by his standards.

What was Murray saying to him?