Sign in to follow this  
Lord BJ

Venice

Lord BJ

Travelling to Venice next month for a short break with the wife. 

I haven’t been there for about 25 years, so was looking for tips and recommendations for  things to do and places to eat from JKB

Anything I should book up in advance?

inspector

Wife and I were there in June. If you are going to do any of the major attractions(and everybody does), go first thing in the morning. Visit St Mark's Cathedral and the Doge's Palace(you can book this, we didn't, just got there early) are well worth it. The first is free to get into. Later on and the queues are horrendous. Get yourself a 2/3/4 day ticket for the water boats, easy to buy and saves time. Do not eat or drink in St Marks Square. Beautiful to visit and admire but very pricey. Plenty of other places to eat and drink. We tended to have a good breakfast then snacked during the day and ate at night. Morano glass is worth a trip. 

The city was very busy when we were there. There were thousands of Chinese and American tourists in large organised groups which make getting past them difficult as they blocked the narrow streets.

Give the gondolas a miss, often as not they get stuck in a 'traffic jam' and are expensive. We were quoted 70 Euros each for 30 minutes.

Loved it though.

Jambo-Jimbo

The views from St. Mark's Campanile (Bell Tower) are superb, fantastic view over the whole of Venice, but book tickets in advance as the queues can be long, don't know what they will be like in December but in high season they are long.  You get a lift up and down and pretty much as long as you want up at the top.

Caffe Florian in St. Mark's square is THE place to go, not cheap, but one of the oldest Caffe's in Italy. Tip sit inside rather than outside because if you sit outside you will get charged a cover charge for the musicians, €6 when we were there.  I wouldn't eat here, just a coffee or beer.

There are many good restaurants, often up the wee side streets, which lead of the main sites.

A 3 Island boat trip is a good way to spend half a day, you get the boat from the jetty's to the right of the Doge's palace, and they visit Murano where you get a glass blowing demo, with the obligatory visit to the shop of course, then off Burano with it's pretty multicoloured houses and then onto Torcello with it's 1000+ year old Cathedral is well worth a view.

As has been mentioned, the Doge's palace is well worth a visit, make sure you get to cross over the 'Bridge of Sighs'  connecting the Doge's palace to the prison, stop and look out the window, you'll then know why it gets it's name. 

St. Mark's Basilica is better if you take a tour, the one we did got us into area's the public don't normally see, also for an extra €5 (IIRC) get's you up on the viewing platform overlooking St. Mark's square.

Rialto Bridge is always good for a photo op, but there are so many photo ops in Venice, just wander around, you'll get lost of course, but hey that's part of the fun of Venice, getting lost, but it's such a small city you won't be lost for long until you find a landmark.

A sight to see is the tide coming in St. Mark's square, you'll see the vents/drains dotted about the square, it's fun watching the water flowing out of the vents when the tide comes in, hopefully it doesn't completely flood the square, which it does on occasions.

If the weather is not good, there are many good museum's, cheaper with the museum pass, which you can buy at the time or online.

leginten

Torcello. The basilica has to be one of the most beautiful buildings on earth. Its campanile is now open as well, and the views of the lagoon on a clear day are staggering. 

In Venice itself I always make sure to spend a lot of time in the less frequented parts of Cannaregio and Castello. It’s surprisingly easy to escape the crowds. Most of Giudecca is also quiet. The Biennale is on at the moment, so there’s plenty of crazy stuff to see down by the Arsenale. 

Edited by leginten

Jambo-Jimbo
9 hours ago, leginten said:

Torcello. The basilica has to be one of the most beautiful buildings on earth. Its campanile is now open as well, and the views of the lagoon on a clear day are staggering. 

In Venice itself I always make sure to spend a lot of time in the less frequented parts of Cannaregio and Castello. It’s surprisingly easy to escape the crowds. Most of Giudecca is also quiet. The Biennale is on at the moment, so there’s plenty of crazy stuff to see down by the Arsenale. 

Agree about Torcello, not that big but really stunning inside, I didn't have time to go up the bell tower.

Some good tours here, we used them for the St. Mark's Basilica tour & for the skip the line tickets for St. Mark's Campanile.

https://www.venetoinside.com/

manaliveits105

Go to Harrys Bar for a bellini or Ernest Hemmingway cocktail (straight gin almost) just to say you have been but you will be underwhelmed - its bottom left corner alley of St Marks Sq walking away from Doge Palace then 1st or second on left and walk down to grand canal . Its expensive but just have 1 or splash out and book restaurant upstairs - very expensive .

Its in the 40 things to do before you die book but really dont know why - but wife might enjoy bellini and see someone famous 

Use the water buses even to go out to the islands Murano and Burano etc as taxis are expensive.

leginten

https://www.majer.it/

Majer has a few places dotted around Venice. Stylish cafes that are very good for coffee, pastries, light lunches, wine etc. I've been to the one in the Ghetto a few times. 

benny

For cheaper digs stay in Mestre. Use your pass to get there and back.

Some brilliant churches to visit as well.

https://erasmusu.com/en/erasmus-venice/erasmus-blog/the-10-most-beautiful-venetian-churches-544580

Just around the corner from the number one on the list.

Scuola Grande di San Rocco another must visit if you like Tintorreto. 

Add on ice cream and coffee to die for.

Edited by benny

Robbo-Jambo
21 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Travelling to Venice next month for a short break with the wife. 

I haven’t been there for about 25 years, so was looking for tips and recommendations for  things to do and places to eat from JKB

Anything I should book up in advance?

I was also there about 25 years ago with the wife on a day trip thing as part of our holiday.

It was so expensive and it was near the end of the holiday.

Nae money to buy food and drink in the bars etc. and sat there under a scorching sun with dry rolls and crisps which the seagulls kept ******* attacking.

Not been back since but sure you will a great time. :laugh2:

Turkishcap

Been 3 to 4 times and love it, worth wondering away from front and exploring away from tourist areas. Cheaper away from front.

Carl Weathers

I went for a break in October and didn't really enjoy it. I found it to be too congested and there wasnt actually loads do once you've had a wander around (I'm sure I probably missed a lot in fairness).

If you plan to go to the islands, go first thing. We went around 11am and we queued for around 50mins to get a water bus to Murano, 35mins to get from Murano to Burano and then another 25mins to get back to Venice. Not a great deal to do once you've walked around a bit but nice enough to see.

It was cool to see the city but be prepared for huge crowds of tourists and lots of queues. I wouldnt recommend spending more than 2 or 3 days there.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I went for a break in October and didn't really enjoy it. I found it to be too congested and there wasnt actually loads do once you've had a wander around (I'm sure I probably missed a lot in fairness).

If you plan to go to the islands, go first thing. We went around 11am and we queued for around 50mins to get a water bus to Murano, 35mins to get from Murano to Burano and then another 25mins to get back to Venice. Not a great deal to do once you've walked around a bit but nice enough to see.

It was cool to see the city but be prepared for huge crowds of tourists and lots of queues. I wouldnt recommend spending more than 2 or 3 days there.

Hence why the best tip is to buy skip-the-line tickets before you go.

I knew about the huge queues before we went especially in July, and wanted to avoid that so bought tickets before we went to Venice.

Queue for the St. Mark's Campanile was around half-way down towards the waterfront, 1.5 hours someone told us, us we went to a different entrance and waited no more than 5 minutes for the lift, cost about €3 extra, well worth it.

The Basilica, the queue for that stretched all the way down to the corner of the Doge's palace, us we went in via a different entrance and as soon as everyone was there our guide took us around the Basilica, no queues no waiting.

The 3 island tour was operated by one of public bus companies Alilaguna and again we had bought in advance and got our own waterbus for the entire duration of the tour.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Carl Weathers

Sounds like good advice - wish I did some research before we went. Was very unlike me not to do so.

benny

Do your research and stick to your plan.

Do this for Venice and all Italian cities to make it a better experience.