Jump to content
Walter Bishop

Michael O`Neil - appointed Stoke manager (updated)

Recommended Posts

132goals1958
1 minute ago, theshed said:


I work beside a couple of Dundee Unt fans and they are saying they’d  be quite happy if he left 

 

Don’t recall too much disappointment when he left for MK Dons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Mundaydog said:

Double his 750k salary.. WTF managing a football team for 6/7 games a year pays that. Mental

Sky etc really has ruined football down there.

Stoke are bottom of the division and able to pay the compensation and pay a salary of £1.5million. 

At best they could sneak a playoff position, more than likely get them mid table.

 

The Championship is very competitive. I wouldn't say it's a lottery but impossible to predict who will get promoted. People have predicted West Brom, Leeds and Fulham this year. But Stoke were clear favourites last year. Aston Villa were quoted strongly but no one really backed Norwich and Sheffield United. Also money isn't the predictor. See Derby and Middlesbrough for that. 

 

Depends what Stoke are looking for. I would say they should be looking 3-6 years building something. 

 

Time will tell. It's certainly a bit different to getting 20 players playing a tight gameplan with low expectations. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot

Signed for Stoke. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood

Would Robinson be considered for the Irish job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Homme

Whilst it might not be the end of the world, is there a chance we will lose Austin to Stoke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Homme said:

Whilst it might not be the end of the world, is there a chance we will lose Austin to Stoke?

That’s a possibility I would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Would Robinson be considered for the Irish job?

 

Tommy Wright and Robinson are quoted as early favourites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

 

Tommy Wright and Robinson are quoted as early favourites. 

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allystrachan

Would love if they took Austin & we stung them for Compo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
1 minute ago, allystrachan said:

Would love if they took Austin & we stung them for Compo. 

 

£2 million for Michael Smith (though I don't want to lose him) would be handy.

 

Maybe £1 million for Conor Washington too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
3 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Would love if they took Austin & we stung them for Compo. 

 

Michael O'Neill could still carry on helping us.

 

Maybe another link for loan players etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barack
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

 

£2 million for Michael Smith (though I don't want to lose him) would be handy.

 

Maybe £1 million for Conor Washington too. 

Dunno if you're being half-serious, but I'd not be shocked if O' Neill got it then went after Smith at some stage.

 

Maybe with a young family he's settled here now. But one last decent pay day might be too tempting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikey1874
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Dunno if you're being half-serious, but I'd not be shocked if O' Neill got it then went after Smith at some stage.

 

Maybe with a young family he's settled here now. But one last decent pay day might be too tempting. 

 

In Championship Smith would do well at centre half I think though I'm not completely familiar with the Stoke squad

Edited by Mikey1874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldGorgie
1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

 

Don’t recall too much disappointment when he left for MK Dons

Really. Yes a few of the intellectually challenged on JKB didn’t appreciate how much Robbie achieved at Hearts but the forum is full of idiots spouting all sorts of rubbish about potential managers. I along with many Hearts supporters realised that Robbie was subject to enormous pressure to adopt Levein’s methods. Surely you remember the note passing from Levein to the dugout during games. Levein ruined Robbie.

Edited by OldGorgie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lfhearts

Mikey -Smith at "centre half in championship" is another load of bull.

Seen the size of the centre forwards down there he would have no chance.

Another classic was £4m for Soapy and Smith from soonbe, lauggable this board is getting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
35 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Mikey -Smith at "centre half in championship" is another load of bull.

Seen the size of the centre forwards down there he would have no chance.

Another classic was £4m for Soapy and Smith from soonbe, lauggable this board is getting. 

I never said that’s what they are worth. I said, jokingly, that I’d take £4m for both of them. Would you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
132goals1958
1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

Really. Yes a few of the intellectually challenged on JKB didn’t appreciate how much Robbie achieved at Hearts but the forum is full of idiots spouting all sorts of rubbish about potential managers. I along with many Hearts supporters realised that Robbie was subject to enormous pressure to adopt Levein’s methods. Surely you remember the note passing from Levein to the dugout during games. Levein ruined Robbie.

 

I thought Robbie did a magnificent job in his first two seasons. Ultimately I was 50/50 when he left, as I though we had stalled a bit.The point I was trying to make is generally his departure was met with indifference more than anything. Whether  he kicks on or not remains to be seen but FWIW I hope he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lfhearts

At moment not worth a sook, Smith is decent but hardly got a game for Peterborough I think it was near end of his time there, cannot see him move up a level unless you are Mikey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hueyview
22 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

 

https://us.soccerway.com

 

This is a great website for analysing form and making informed betting selections. Great for a BTTS bet as well.

Cheers....  Anything that can help appreciated  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alfajambo
1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

Really. Yes a few of the intellectually challenged on JKB didn’t appreciate how much Robbie achieved at Hearts but the forum is full of idiots spouting all sorts of rubbish about potential managers. I along with many Hearts supporters realised that Robbie was subject to enormous pressure to adopt Levein’s methods. Surely you remember the note passing from Levein to the dugout during games. Levein ruined Robbie.

I hope Robbie can put the past behind him and is interested in the job.

The best candidate IMO.

Who cares about the glider brigade…

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldGorgie
7 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

I hope Robbie can put the past behind him and is interested in the job.

The best candidate IMO.

Who cares about the glider brigade…

 

Still think the glider parade and graffiti artists are Hobos out to cause trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamTarts51

Speculation that he's taking Stoke training today and will be in the dug out tomorrow against Barnsley. Surely there would be a conversation with him and McPhee about joining him down south. Is a risk for O'Neill but what job isn't these days, just needs to keep them up this season in the Championship and appears to be on a good wage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VALDOS'

Absolutely no issue if he comes and takes the McPhee myth away from Edinburgh down to Stoke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Really. Yes a few of the intellectually challenged on JKB didn’t appreciate how much Robbie achieved at Hearts but the forum is full of idiots spouting all sorts of rubbish about potential managers. I along with many Hearts supporters realised that Robbie was subject to enormous pressure to adopt Levein’s methods. Surely you remember the note passing from Levein to the dugout during games. Levein ruined Robbie.

It wasn't just on JKB that people were glad that Robbie left, most in the real World and good Old Gorgie were delighted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldGorgie
22 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It wasn't just on JKB that people were glad that Robbie left, most in the real World and good Old Gorgie were delighted

Nonsense. And not where I sit in the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, JamTarts51 said:

Speculation that he's taking Stoke training today and will be in the dug out tomorrow against Barnsley. Surely there would be a conversation with him and McPhee about joining him down south. Is a risk for O'Neill but what job isn't these days, just needs to keep them up this season in the Championship and appears to be on a good wage

He is, SSN have footage of him doing so. It will be interesting to see if he comes for Macphee/Smith/Washington. I personally doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Canada

I'd have thought it's highly likely he'll approach MacPhee to be his assistant. He's been his right-hand man for the most successful phase of his whole career and I think it would be strange if he didn't want him involved at Stoke. I also think MacPhee might want a new challenge if, as it seems, he won't be our next manager. He could be out of a job in a few weeks so it makes sense for him to look at other options too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
1 hour ago, JamTarts51 said:

Speculation that he's taking Stoke training today and will be in the dug out tomorrow against Barnsley. Surely there would be a conversation with him and McPhee about joining him down south. Is a risk for O'Neill but what job isn't these days, just needs to keep them up this season in the Championship and appears to be on a good wage

More likely to take Robinson as his assistant is what I have heard. Wait and see. Good way of testing my sources. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It wasn't just on JKB that people were glad that Robbie left, most in the real World and good Old Gorgie were delighted

Don’t think that’s true. I believe most would welcome Robbie back. It’s been almost continually downhill since he left. Surprised that you, and others, can’t see that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
132goals1958

Appointment confirmed on BBC website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
1 hour ago, VALDOS' said:

Absolutely no issue if he comes and takes the McPhee myth away from Edinburgh down to Stoke. 

Interesting that in BBC report re O’Neill accepting Stoke job there’s no mention of McPhee in those expected to join his backroom team. Their expectations are Billy McKinlay and Steve Harper. 

Robinson and Baraclough  frontrunners for NI job, no mention of Wright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I'd have thought it's highly likely he'll approach MacPhee to be his assistant. He's been his right-hand man for the most successful phase of his whole career and I think it would be strange if he didn't want him involved at Stoke. I also think MacPhee might want a new challenge if, as it seems, he won't be our next manager. He could be out of a job in a few weeks so it makes sense for him to look at other options too. 

It would be a good hike in wages too, O’Neill has doubled his wages to £1.5m a year. Hopefully he will go there and we will get enough compensation to help pay off the rest of the tainted coaches and Head Scout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think that’s true. I believe most would welcome Robbie back. It’s been almost continually downhill since he left. Surprised that you, and others, can’t see that. 

He was responsible for our worst ever result in Europe, gubbed at home from a bunch of Maltese waiters.

No way would most Hearts fans be happy if he returned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
33 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He was responsible for our worst ever result in Europe, gubbed at home from a bunch of Maltese waiters.

No way would most Hearts fans be happy if he returned

One result??  Even you must admit that since coming out of Admin he has been far and away the best of the three managers. 
He was also responsible for many great results. Do the great ones outweigh the one bad one or is the one bad one worth 5/10/15 great ones? 
I think you would be surprised at the reaction if he returned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
colinmaroon
5 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Still think the glider parade and graffiti artists are Hobos out to cause trouble.

 

 

It was the Russians!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Canada
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It would be a good hike in wages too, O’Neill has doubled his wages to £1.5m a year. Hopefully he will go there and we will get enough compensation to help pay off the rest of the tainted coaches and Head Scout.

The BBC seem to reckon Billy Mckinlay is going to be his assistant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ToqueJambo

Move while your stock is still high is still the best strategy for any manager. That's how you get the bigger money and the better jobs.

 

Bit surprised in a way as he seemed to be bedded in in the NI job, but nice of Stoke to ease him back into club management for us.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
farin

Shame but he was way out of our league budget wise in the first place anyway. Another one to strike of the candidate list though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ford donald
9 hours ago, Homme said:

Whilst it might not be the end of the world, is there a chance we will lose Austin to Stoke?

Hopefully he joins him,frees up a vacancy for a new managers assistant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain America

McPhee isn't O'Neill's assistant manager at NI so not sure he would take him as Assistant at Stoke but depends if his current assistant Jimmy Nicholl would want to move to Stoke at this stage in his life and whether he is content as assistant at Dundee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SpruceBringsteen
4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He was responsible for our worst ever result in Europe, gubbed at home from a bunch of Maltese waiters.

No way would most Hearts fans be happy if he returned

 

After he let the players go on their holidays the second we won the Championship in March, it was like watching paint dry for 18 months. That's why I'd be horrified to see him back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

The BBC seem to reckon Billy Mckinlay is going to be his assistant. 

Please don’t believe anything the BBC say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Captain America said:

McPhee isn't O'Neill's assistant manager at NI so not sure he would take him as Assistant at Stoke but depends if his current assistant Jimmy Nicholl would want to move to Stoke at this stage in his life and whether he is content as assistant at Dundee.

I doubt if he would want Nicholl at Stoke, with NI yes as he’s keeping that job top. It will be interesting to see who he picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

 

After he let the players go on their holidays the second we won the Championship in March, it was like watching paint dry for 18 months. That's why I'd be horrified to see him back.

I wouldn’t ant him back either to be honest, he’s learned how to win derbies though. We need to move forward.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SpruceBringsteen
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wouldn’t ant him back either to be honest, he’s learned how to win derbies though. We need to move forward.

 

A shan Derek McInnes. That's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cosanostra

Seems like the perfect time to get shot of McPhee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1874robbo
16 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think that’s true. I believe most would welcome Robbie back. It’s been almost continually downhill since he left. Surprised that you, and others, can’t see that. 

I wouldn’t have him back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

 

Tommy Wright and Robinson are quoted as early favourites. 

Ian Baraclough in the frame, current u21 manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Seems like the perfect time to get shot of McPhee.

Us or NI? 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...