Michael O`Neil - appointed Stoke manager (updated)

Walter Bishop

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Cruyff Turn

• Mikey1874

• Mr Elwood P

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Yeah, I’m not saying he’d take it, just if he did then it would only be if he could do both at once as it’s the only financially available option for hearts. I doubt he would, unless he wanted to dip his toe back into club football to increase his next club offer. Do well with hearts and Northern Ireland and then maybe a bigger club will come calling?! There’s no other team the size of hearts that it may be a possibility to do both with I’d say. 

Buta yeah, I agree, unless he doesn’t have his contract renewed then I highly doubt he’d even consider it. 

Mikey is saying he signed an extension to 2024 on a million quid a year or something and the compensation N.Ireland want is £4-£6million 😄 

Maybe we should be looking to snap up these top League of Ireland managers before they end up in big jobs. Stephen Kenny for example would have been a good appointment imo but he’s the next Ireland manager. 

Michael O’Neill will leave his role at Northern Ireland to become the new manager of Stoke City. There is still some negotiating to be done regarding a six-figure compensation fee due to the Irish Football Association, but O’Neill has agreed in principle to a four-year contract at Stoke. He will almost double his £750,000 salary at the IFA.

Stoke are currently bottom of the Championship but O’Neill has been told there will be money to spend in January. He will be at Oakwell on Saturday for Stoke’s game against the side immediately above them in the table, Barnsley.

O’Neill will then take charge of Northern Ireland’s last two group games in the Euro 2020 qualifiers, at home to Holland on Saturday week and then away to Germany on Frankfurt the following Tuesday.

His over-achieving Irish side have a chance of reaching the play-offs but it is unlikely O’Neill will have any involvement with the squad come March. Motherwell’s Stephen Robinson and...

the athletic website so paywall

22 minutes ago, Newton51 said:
Michael O’Neill will leave his role at Northern Ireland to become the new manager of Stoke City. There is still some negotiating to be done regarding a six-figure compensation fee due to the Irish Football Association, but O’Neill has agreed in principle to a four-year contract at Stoke. He will almost double his £750,000 salary at the IFA.

Stoke are currently bottom of the Championship but O’Neill has been told there will be money to spend in January. He will be at Oakwell on Saturday for Stoke’s game against the side immediately above them in the table, Barnsley.

O’Neill will then take charge of Northern Ireland’s last two group games in the Euro 2020 qualifiers, at home to Holland on Saturday week and then away to Germany on Frankfurt the following Tuesday.

His over-achieving Irish side have a chance of reaching the play-offs but it is unlikely O’Neill will have any involvement with the squad come March. Motherwell’s Stephen Robinson and...

the athletic website so paywall

Just shows how money talks. If he takes McPhee and Robinson gets the NI job then that reduces a few off our potential Managers list.

Guy who lives in Edinburgh would rather move home to manage Stoke City! 
Think we need to lower our expectations massively or we are in for a big shock at the standard of manager we can be looking at.

Also some weren’t convinced at Moyes and he scoffed at the job!!

1 minute ago, Leisham38 said:

Think we need to lower our expectations massively or we are in for a big shock at the standard of manager we can be looking at.

Correct. Moyes, ONeil, Keane, Hughes etc, not a chance.

30 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Just shows how money talks. If he takes McPhee and Robinson gets the NI job then that reduces a few off our potential Managers list.

Doubt he will take McPhee but let’s wait and see. 

18 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Correct. Moyes, ONeil, Keane, Hughes etc, not a chance.

So it’s Robinson or Nielson? Or Strachan 

Edited by soonbe110

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Mikey is saying he signed an extension to 2024 on a million quid a year or something and the compensation N.Ireland want is £4-£6million 😄 

Maybe we should be looking to snap up these top League of Ireland managers before they end up in big jobs. Stephen Kenny for example would have been a good appointment imo but he’s the next Ireland manager. 

Yeah, even a couple in the north could do a job too. But for every O’Neil there’s a Fenlon..

Edited by Dayman

Money like it or not does talk and it should be no surprise he will move for a substantial pay rise

I hope this makes it clear to some in our manager search that you can want the best but they will demand a salary to attract them to your club

Some on other threads still cling to romantic notions of 'the challenge' being enough

27 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Why don’t you’ll think he’ll go for McPhee ?

Just heard a story. Don’t know if it’s true. Certainly if O’Neill wants him he will be off.  Could be that O’Neill takes Robinson with him though. Or both of them. 

Edited by soonbe110

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Strachan 🤮 

There is not one serious thought from any Hearts fan regarding appointing Strachan

He knows it, we know it and .ell will freeze over before he was offered the job

There are things you just don't do and appointing a died/dyed in the wool Hibby is one of them

Mind you the spilt would lead to interesting times amongst the fan base if there were any in support

Edited by CJGJ

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

There is not one serious thought from any Hearts fan regarding appointing Strachan

There are things you just don't do and appointing a died/dyed in the wool Hibby is one of them

Mind you the spilt would lead to interesting times amongst the fan base if there were any in support

Sporting Director role, similar to what he is doing at Dundee but on double/treble the money? Regardless of what you think of him or his background, his network/contacts would be worth a lot to us in terms of players, managers and coaches. 

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Sporting Director role, similar to what he is doing at Dundee but on double/treble the money? Regardless of what you think of him or his background, his network/contacts would be worth a lot to us in terms of players, managers and coaches. 

Sorry but no no no

There was time in the not so distant past that no Hearts fan would consider him in a role at our club and for me that stands..I'm amazed anyone would consider him

I could never trust that he was doing the best for my club with his background...and he may be a lovely man but sorry

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Sorry but no no no

There was time in the not so distant past that no Hearts fan would consider him in a role at our club and for me that stands..I'm amazed anyone would consider him

I could never trust that he was doing the best for my club with his background...and he may be a lovely man but sorry

To be honest I was there a good few years ago as well but now I’m of the opinion that I could almost suffer anyone that comes in and makes the Club successful regardless of their background or leanings. Too many years and attempts as being successful only using good old jambo guys, otherwise known as phm, who played for us etc. It’s too big a business now to be parochial and there’s too much at stake given the current feelings amongst the support and the imminent purchase by FoH and all that will bring. We need to hire the best people for the jobs, support them, and let them get on with doing their jobs. 

33 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Just heard a story. Don’t know if it’s true. Certainly if O’Neill wants him he will be off.  Could be that O’Neill takes Robinson with him though. Or both of them. 

Interesting.

Like you say.....if McPhee has a chance go there you’d have to think he’ll take it.

Unless he’s offered a role at Hearts which appeals to him more.......

2 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

If it’s a MON and McPhee double act at Stoke, expect an incoming bid for Smith in January.

Soutar as well. I’d take £4m for the pair of them. 

Just now, DH1986 said:

Interesting.

Like you say.....if McPhee has a chance go there you’d have to think he’ll take it.

Unless he’s offered a role at Hearts which appeals to him more.......

Unlikely though because he isn’t getting the managers job and not sure sporting Director would appeal more than asst mgr or coach at Stoke esp when either of those jobs probably pay three/four times what he is earning currently. 

1 hour ago, Leisham38 said:

Only one setting expectations at the moment is Budge.

44 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I don’t actually mind Strachan but not anywhere near Hearts thank you very much. 

7 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Only one setting expectations at the moment is Budge.

I think people will be surprised and our benefactors will get the chequebook out but it won’t be any of the names mentioned like O’Neil, Moyes, Keane, Hughton yadda yadda... 

I think/hope that we’re aiming higher than Neilson, Ross and Robinson as well but if that isn’t the case and that is the realistic options, then we need to accept it and get behind whoever it is.

Honestly though, I feel Ann will be ambitious and that money won’t be an issue within reason. 

Bearing in mind Steve McClaren threw his hat in the ring after Cathro's sacking, there's no real telling who might decide we're a team worth taking on and should be looking at that calibre of applicant IMO. However it will need to be someone out of work and with a point to prove. That being said, I could see someone like Ian Holloway (I don't approve of that choice but he does have experience!). 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I think people will be surprised and our benefactors will get the chequebook out but it won’t be any of the names mentioned like O’Neil, Moyes, Keane, Hughton yadda yadda... 

I think/hope that we’re aiming higher than Neilson, Ross and Robinson as well but if that isn’t the case and that is the realistic options, then we need to accept it and get behind whoever it is.

Honestly though, I feel Ann will be ambitious and that money won’t be an issue within reason. 

AB might have to accelerate the process or we may miss out on our preferred candidate.  The Hibs and N.Ireland jobs are currently available and they could be shopping in the same market as us. We can't afford a search as protracted as that of 2017. Ideally we get someone in next week and certainly before Killie on the 23rd.

46 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

AB might have to accelerate the process or we may miss out on our preferred candidate.  The Hibs and N.Ireland jobs are currently available and they could be shopping in the same market as us. We can't afford a search as protracted as that of 2017. Ideally we get someone in next week and certainly before Killie on the 23rd.

If that’s our preferred candidate. I think Jack Ross will be Hibs Manager tbh. 

29 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Just read o'Neill agreed to go to stoke! Wonder if Austin be away with him as assistant?

🤞🏻

Lord Beni of Gorgie

1.5 million a year eh.

A high profile assistant might be a shout like Kilmarnock. 

Taking Neilson back is a thought,  but some big players in the changing room now. 

jack D and coke
17 hours ago, Dayman said:

If he was to come to hearts he’d Have to still be the national team manager I’d think. Some extra money, not having to move from the city he lives in, working with the same assistant at both teams, numerous of your national team players with you every day, And with the sporting director in place he’d have an easier job than a normal manager would. I doubt national team managers do more than 5-10 hours of work a week. 

All fine and well. 
I’d rather have someone fully focused on us personally though. He’d have other concerns regularly. Not what we need. 

8 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

1.5 million a year eh.

A high profile assistant might be a shout like Kilmarnock. 

Taking Neilson back is a thought,  but some big players in the changing room now. 

Yeah wouldn’t be opposed to Robbie coming back actually. 

Double his 750k salary.. WTF managing a football team for 6/7 games a year pays that. Mental

Sky etc really has ruined football down there.

Stoke are bottom of the division and able to pay the compensation and pay a salary of £1.5million. 

At best they could sneak a playoff position, more than likely get them mid table.

30 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Yeah wouldn’t be opposed to Robbie coming back actually. 

It’s becoming more acceptable, the more I see other names being touted. 

I still think he is a bit of a Levein-clone: overthinks it and tries to play a slower-paced game that doesn’t really suit the game here. 

Brighton Jambo
14 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

100% spot on.  That salary is the equivalent to £28k a week.  And some fans were getting angry saying that’s exactly the sort of manager we go for.  It’s fantasy land, these guys can earn 5 times what we can offer them down south and are not going to come here.  

14 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

So it’s Robinson or Nielson? Or Strachan 

I hear McLeish is also not too busy these days. As is Swally.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s becoming more acceptable, the more I see other names being touted. 

I still think he is a bit of a Levein-clone: overthinks it and tries to play a slower-paced game that doesn’t really suit the game here. 

We would have to pay compensation and he has a very cushy job and will win a league title with Dundee Utd.

It pains me to say it, but I can't see Robbie coming.

6 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

We would have to pay compensation and he has a very cushy job and will win a league title with Dundee Utd.

It pains me to say it, but I can't see Robbie coming.

I work beside a couple of Dundee Unt fans and they are saying they’d  be quite happy if he left 

1 minute ago, theshed said:

I work beside a couple of Dundee Unt fans and they are saying they’d  be quite happy if he left 

Don’t recall too much disappointment when he left for MK Dons

1 hour ago, Mundaydog said:

Double his 750k salary.. WTF managing a football team for 6/7 games a year pays that. Mental

Sky etc really has ruined football down there.

Stoke are bottom of the division and able to pay the compensation and pay a salary of £1.5million. 

At best they could sneak a playoff position, more than likely get them mid table.

The Championship is very competitive. I wouldn't say it's a lottery but impossible to predict who will get promoted. People have predicted West Brom, Leeds and Fulham this year. But Stoke were clear favourites last year. Aston Villa were quoted strongly but no one really backed Norwich and Sheffield United. Also money isn't the predictor. See Derby and Middlesbrough for that. 

Depends what Stoke are looking for. I would say they should be looking 3-6 years building something. 

Time will tell. It's certainly a bit different to getting 20 players playing a tight gameplan with low expectations. 

Edited by Mikey1874