Michael O`Neil - appointed Stoke manager (updated)

Walter Bishop

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Cruyff Turn

• Mikey1874

• Mr Elwood P

Top Posters In This Topic

They also did for Alex Neil....strange club with lots of talent on huge wages owned by billionaires from Stoke but are bottom of the Championship 

I wonder if he's want MacPhee? That would maybe save us another payout if we are getting rid of all the coaching staff and John Murray. 

Edited by tokyowalnut

Hearts can’t afford him. He isn’t even worth mentioning in connection to the Hearts job.

I think he might even turn Stoke down tbh. He’s already earning megabucks at N.Ireland, he’s got a great gig there, why would he want the hassle of Stoke? Can’t see it happening imo. 

12 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Stoke seek permission to speak to Northern Ireland manager. 

Come on Hearts get in there first.

We are about £500k a year short in his salary expectations before anything else he expects.

Its never ever going to happen.

Why would he want to go to Stoke? 

Jobs like Stoke / Leeds / Notts Forest / Sunderland etc should be advertised as a temp position.

Nobody every gets to keep the jobs long enough to be considered permanent.

25 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

I wonder if he's want MacPhee? That would maybe save us another payout if we are getting rid of all the coaching staff and John Murray. 

Let’s hope he will take Austin too.

17 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We are about £500k a year short in his salary expectations before anything else he expects.

Its never ever going to happen.

Plus the huge compensation NI would be due, which according to Sky Stoke haven't met yet, 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
36 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Where you hearing this from? What will we do without JM and his excellent use of Wyscout?

He’d be silly to go to Stoke. He’s got a job for life at Stoke on excellent money. Stoke won’t pay better and there’s a decent chance he’d be out within a year. 

He doesn't need to look further than Chris Coleman quitting for Sunderland for an example.

42 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

When people post items like this do they never think before posting

There is no chance he would come to us and yet we get posters trying to insinuate it'll be all our fault if they don't get him

Next it'll be Klopp Or Pep and all the clubs fault if they don't come or even worse have not made an approach

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

There is no chance he would come to us and yet we get posters trying to insinuate it'll be all our fault if they don't get him

Next it'll be Klopp Or Pep and all the clubs fault if they don't come or even worse have not made an approach

Surely after 17k posts you can answer that question yourself?

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Surely after 17k posts you can answer that question yourself?

I try to think others don't it seems

I will now take note and just accept the above ;)

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I try to think others don't it seems

I will now take note and just accept the above ;)

Nothing like a managerial vacancy to demonstrate who knows what.

1 hour ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

He would have been a good Manager for Hearts...  But good to see quality Managers being considered

29 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

Plus the huge compensation NI would be due, which according to Sky Stoke haven't met yet, 

About £4 million 

22 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

You missed Hearts off the list?

41 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

Why would he want to go to Stoke? 

Jobs like Stoke / Leeds / Notts Forest / Sunderland etc should be advertised as a temp position.

Nobody every gets to keep the jobs long enough to be considered permanent.

Leeds have been an absolute Banker for my fixed Odds coupon this year...

9 minutes ago, hueyview said:

Leeds have been an absolute Banker for my fixed Odds coupon this year...

Have they, aye? They've only won 8 of their 15 matches to date and have only won 2 of their last 5. Hate to see your dodgy picks!

Shooter McGavin

Not that he was ever realistic but whatever we could pay, Stoke could no doubt treble it.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

He has a clause in his contract that states he can do a club job and the NI gig! So if we were willing to let him do both there is no reason we couldn’t get him

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Hearts can’t afford him. He isn’t even worth mentioning in connection to the Hearts job.

I think he might even turn Stoke down tbh. He’s already earning megabucks at N.Ireland, he’s got a great gig there, why would he want the hassle of Stoke? Can’t see it happening imo. 

If he was to come to hearts he’d Have to still be the national team manager I’d think. Some extra money, not having to move from the city he lives in, working with the same assistant at both teams, numerous of your national team players with you every day, And with the sporting director in place he’d have an easier job than a normal manager would. I doubt national team managers do more than 5-10 hours of work a week. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Have they, aye? They've only won 8 of their 15 matches to date and have only won 2 of their last 5. Hate to see your dodgy picks!

That surprises me, have seen them as odds on winners over the last few weeks....

2 minutes ago, hueyview said:

That surprises me, have seen them as odds on winners over the last few weeks....

https://us.soccerway.com

This is a great website for analysing form and making informed betting selections. Great for a BTTS bet as well.

Just now, Dayman said:

If he was to come to hearts he’d Have to still be the national team manager I’d think. Some extra money, not having to move from the city he lives in, working with the same assistant at both teams, numerous of your national team players with you every day, And with the sporting director in place he’d have an easier job than a normal manager would. I doubt national team managers do more than 5-10 hours of work a week. 

Only extra money until June when his N.Ire contracts up, then he’d be taking like at least a 66% pay cut for more of his time and more hassle. 😆 

If you were in Michael O’Neills shoes, getting paid mega spondollies to prepare and manage a team 5-6 times a year (if that) with no expectations other than to do your best.. You’ve got a nice big bought house in the nicest City in one of the nicest areas, you see your wife & kids everyday, during the day you can have a wee game of golf & a few pints, would you take on the extra hassle of club management?

IF and it’s a big IF, if he did not renew his N.Ireland contract and he doesn’t want to move elsewhere, then it may be a vague possibility that he might fancy it but the Scotland job might be vacant by then. 

At the moment it’s a pipe dream mate. The guys got the cooshtiest gig on planet earth and I doubt he’ll bother going elsewhere either tbh.

8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Only extra money until June when his N.Ire contracts up, then he’d be taking like at least a 66% pay cut for more of his time and more hassle. 😆 

If you were in Michael O’Neills shoes, getting paid mega spondollies to prepare and manage a team 5-6 times a year (if that) with no expectations other than to do your best.. You’ve got a nice big bought house in the nicest City in one of the nicest areas, you see your wife & kids everyday, during the day you can have a wee game of golf & a few pints, would you take on the extra hassle of club management?

IF and it’s a big IF, if he did not renew his N.Ireland contract and he doesn’t want to move elsewhere, then it may be a vague possibility that he might fancy it but the Scotland job might be vacant by then. 

At the moment it’s a pipe dream mate. The guys got the cooshtiest gig on planet earth and I doubt he’ll bother going elsewhere either tbh.

What about all these EPL and English Championship managers who get 5 year contracts, get sacked after 6 months and then get a mega pay off. They don't even have the inconvenience of a few games to attend per year.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Where you hearing this from? What will we do without JM and his excellent use of Wyscout?

Give Murray some credit for saving the club money by not travelling to see players.  

38 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Michael O'Neill has a contract with N.Ireland until 2024.

2 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

He would be mad to take that job. It's been a Coaches Graveyard since Pulis left.

Considering the money he is on for what is basically a part-time job he would be mad to take the Stoke job unless they were offering him crazy money which they might do of course.

Big Slim Stylee
2 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Tongue firmly in cheek....I’m hoping? Otherwise 😀😀

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He would be mad to take that job. It's been a Coaches Graveyard since Pulis left.

Considering the money he is on for what is basically a part-time job he would be mad to take the Stoke job unless they were offering him crazy money which they might do of course.

I would want a 6 year contract at a place like Stoke with guaranteed 3 years before any break clause. 

Will take that long to change things. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If he goes to Stoke them he's off his head. Stoke are the hibs of England and will  be relegated at end of the season.

1 hour ago, CAR said:

He has a clause in his contract that states he can do a club job and the NI gig! So if we were willing to let him do both there is no reason we couldn’t get him

Interesting if true, not being cheeky but how do you know that?

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

So that you can feel smug making replies and putting them right?

I’m amazed at how unrealistic some supporters are being about who they want our next manager to be. 
Moyes and O’Neill are capable of managing at a much higher standard than we are -& also earn much more money. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Yeah, I’m not saying he’d take it, just if he did then it would only be if he could do both at once as it’s the only financially available option for hearts. I doubt he would, unless he wanted to dip his toe back into club football to increase his next club offer. Do well with hearts and Northern Ireland and then maybe a bigger club will come calling?! There’s no other team the size of hearts that it may be a possibility to do both with I’d say. 

Buta yeah, I agree, unless he doesn’t have his contract renewed then I highly doubt he’d even consider it. 

fabienleclerq
4 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

He’d be silly to go to Stoke. He’s got a job for life at Stoke on excellent money. Stoke won’t pay better and there’s a decent chance he’d be out within a year. 

He doesn't need to look further than Chris Coleman quitting for Sunderland for an example.

I suppose Coleman still got his contract paid up so it's not like he lost a tonne of money.

I doubt any of these managers have money worries and it's more about what they'll get in terms of budgets etc. Maybe o'Neil wants back to club football? His NI achievements wont last forever and his squad is ageing.