Christmas market

Crete

Has anybody seen the temporary scaffolding in the gardens for the Christmas market it’s an accident waiting to happen surely that can’t get a safety certificate. 

41 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

There is now way that can be declared safe.

75424613_10158066120567450_6266983632829677568_n.jpg

I don’t agree.

There are tribunes put up where I live (and in lots of other towns too) that are the exact same as this.  Never heard of any problems with them.  

Just the general public taking a look at something they are Completly unqualified to understand and then declaring it unsafe because thier uneducated and unprofessional opinion must be listened to over the numerous professional opinions that have deemed this practice safe. 

Im just away to tell the penguin keeper at the zoo that he's giving the wrong food to the penguins, I'll reply when I'm back.

Captain Sausage

Im not a scaffold foreman but I manage a lot of work that needs scaffolding. If I came across something like that, I’d be punting the guys responsible off the platform. You are reliant on two pieces of wood not slipping. Obscene practice. 

It is a weird one that though isn't it. It doesn't look, to an admittedly very untrained eye, anywhere close to structurally sound which makes me think it is perfectly safe. 

Not an engineer but it looks perfectly fine to me. It’s part of a much larger structure that has flat sections. If the whole structure was on a grassy slope, I’d worry. 

6 minutes ago, TheStig said:

The weight and pressure on it would probably make it impossible to move, I'll still avoid mostly down to hating people 

Lucky. Like every year; I’ll probably get dragged to see the same old stall crap, drink the same old shitey overpriced mulled drinks and sit on the same shitey big wheel. 

The same 6 stalls simply copy&pasted around the entire "market".

£5 for a tiny plastic cup of cash'n'carry hot chocolate.

£8 for a hot dog.

Arseholes everywhere.

No thanks.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Lucky. Like every year; I’ll probably get dragged to see the same old stall crap, drink the same old shitey overpriced mulled drinks and sit on the same shitey big wheel. 

:laugh:

28 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Sounds like you can't wait to get there 😂

How does Edinburgh's Christmas Market compare to more famous ones in say Germany or Prague? Or are they all much of a shitey muchness.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

How does Edinburgh's Christmas Market compare to more famous ones in say Germany or Prague? Or are they all much of a shitey muchness.

The German and Austrian ones are more classy.

14 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

The European ones are actually real and traditional.

The Embra one is a tacky money grabbing shitehole.

1 hour ago, Jambomuzz said:

Just the general public taking a look at something they are Completly unqualified to understand and then declaring it unsafe because thier uneducated and unprofessional opinion must be listened to over the numerous professional opinions that have deemed this practice safe. 

Im just away to tell the penguin keeper at the zoo that he's giving the wrong food to the penguins, I'll reply when I'm back.

Boom!

They should just drill 10ftx10ft holes and fill them with cement so they can use them as anchors in the near future.

That is exactly what Princess St gardens needs imo. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This chap gets it.  :thumbsup:

You should see the feckin French versions...   :facepalm:

Fine if you want a teddy bear, a blanket, a feckin saucisson, a teddy bear, a glass candle holder, a sample of cheese the size of a feckin Oxo cube, a teddy bear, a crepe or a teddy bear.

They like teddy bears here.

2 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

:thumbsup:  Here endeth the lesson.

:spoton:

3 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

Do you think an actual Penguin has eaten a Penguin chocolate bar? Your post just popped this random question into my head. 

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

Reminded me of the west Edinburgh urban myth (or is it?).

A group of secondary school kids who procured a penguin during a day trip to Edinburgh zoo. Only discovered when the mini bus doors were opened back at the school.

36 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

A group of secondary school kids who procured a penguin during a day trip to Edinburgh zoo. Only discovered when the mini bus doors were opened back at the school.

I stay through in Glasgow and this myth made its way to the schools through here, I remember it. 

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You mean they don't have Scottish Christmas markets?

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Where as Percy the Boghall penguin  was  very much genuine.

Toxteth O'Grady
7 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Do you think an actual Penguin has eaten a Penguin chocolate bar? Your post just popped this random question into my head. 

I’d say they’d struggle to unwrap them with their wings

16 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I’d say they’d struggle to unwrap them with their wings

Don’t think they could even p-p-p-pick it up in the first place. 

12 hours ago, Cade said:

The same 6 stalls simply copy&pasted around the entire "market".

£5 for a tiny plastic cup of cash'n'carry hot chocolate.

£8 for a hot dog.

Arseholes everywhere.

No thanks.

That's me convinced.

I will continue to never set foot in the place.

She can continue to go her mates if she likes.

19 hours ago, indianajones said:

They should just drill 10ftx10ft holes and fill them with cement so they can use them as anchors in the near future.

That is exactly what Princess St gardens needs imo. 

The gardens should be returned to us as gardens.

The xmas market can go anywhere - they should break it up and have them dotted around the place. Morningside/Brunstfield, the usual spot by the National Galleries, Leith, even Gorgie.

Making a massive xmas market just means an even more congested Princes St. It'd be different if the whole street was pedestrianised, but there just isn't the space for people.

It was bad enough during the festival this year as every inch of pavement became a competition.

Bah humbug, I hope this monstrosity gets cancelled!

It's trashy and poor quality...but I still enjoy a visit to it most years. Mostly just for a gluhwein or two,  and the pretzels are pretty good. It was much better when they first started doing it, as most of the stallholders came over from Germany/Austria, and it certainly felt more authentic. And the gluhwein was much better. Nowadays it's seems it's the same company running every gluhwein/food stall, and not very authentic at all. Will still probably go along one night in December though...

18 hours ago, kila said:

The gardens should be returned to us as gardens.

The xmas market can go anywhere - they should break it up and have them dotted around the place. Morningside/Brunstfield, the usual spot by the National Galleries, Leith, even Gorgie.

Making a massive xmas market just means an even more congested Princes St. It'd be different if the whole street was pedestrianised, but there just isn't the space for people.

It was bad enough during the festival this year as every inch of pavement became a competition.

Bah humbug, I hope this monstrosity gets cancelled!

Christmas as a whole being cancelled would do me just fine.

Nothing of course to do with fact I'll most likely have to miss the Hibs game as I'll be at the in laws.

Something to do with it being unreasonable for me to be in Ireland for less than 48 hours and having to be at the airport for 7.30am to get a flight back in time for the game and waking folk up to give me a lift, or a taxi...

Edited by DETTY29

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Christmas as a whole being cancelled would do me just fine.

Nothing of course to do with fact I'll most likely have to miss the Hibs game as I'll be at the in laws.

Something to do with it being unreasonable for me to be in Ireland for less than 48 hours and having to be at the airport for 7.30am to get a flight back in time for the game and waking folk up to give me a lift, or a taxi...

To sum up Christmas is shite. 

On 06/11/2019 at 21:36, Lfhearts said:

Berlin Christmas shop is unbelievable our Christmas markets are gash.

Kathe Wohlfahrt on the Kurfurstendamm by any chance?

8 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

That's it JJ

I was there at the end of February, wife bought two or three things for the tree for this Christmas coming.

Shop was really quite good.

On 06/11/2019 at 18:43, scottishguy said:

There is now way that can be declared safe.

75424613_10158066120567450_6266983632829677568_n.jpg

Got a scaffolding card myself but not for that type of structure. Wouldn’t get away with the vertical leg like that on a building site but the argument will probably be the angled pole holding it in position while anchored at the bottom. 

Scaffolding leg/foot should be on a flat surface. (As taught for site practices)