Joe Wilkinson?

FruitJuice

What is the point of him and does anyone in here think he's funny? I cant see what he does, be it stand up etc  can anyone tell me why he keeps getting into panel shows?  A big boring bassa.  

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

What is the point of him and does anyone in here think he's funny? I cant see what he does, be it stand up etc  can anyone tell me why he keeps getting into panel shows?  A big boring bassa.  

I absolutely agree with you.  If he’s on anything I switch channel (quite annoying because he seems to be a regular on shows that I otherwise like).

I liked him on Taskmaster and he is ok on 8 of 10 cats does countdown. Other than that I agree...his stand up is rank 

8 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I absolutely agree with you.  If he’s on anything I switch channel (quite annoying because he seems to be a regular on shows that I otherwise like).

I dont think it's an age thing, I just dont get what he brings.  I've never heard a punchline from him

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

I liked him on Taskmaster and he is ok on 8 of 10 cats does countdown. Other than that I agree...his stand up is rank 

He actually does stand up?  Wow.

Another comedian suited to a game/panel show where he can respond to craic from others on it. He can be mildly amusing on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown.

Never seen his stand up yet but there seems to be a lot of so called comedians like him.

Might be talking out of turn but I feel the same about Sean Lock. He’s quick and witty as you like on the above show but I can honestly say I don’t find his stand up too hot. Was quite let down when I first saw one of his slots on he Apollo show. 

Edited by Debut 4

38 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Like him on cats does countdown. His poem about naming peoples penises was brilliant.

He's had me in years a few times on cats.

Seen him once on mock the week, thought he was really good on that as well. Never seen any of his stand up though.

File under Josh Widdicombe, Noel Fielding, Jack Whitehall etc. Utterly bemused how any of these guys have made a living out of stand up comedy (obviously lots more but can't be arsed typing all their names).

15 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Another comedian suited to a game/panel show where he can respond to craic from others on it. He can be mildly amusing on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown.

Never seen his stand up yet but there seems to be a lot of so called comedians like him.

Might be talking out of turn but I feel the same about Sean Lock. He’s quick and witty as you like on the above show but I can honestly say I don’t find his stand up too hot. Was quite let down when I first saw one of his slots on he Apollo show. 

Agree to disagree there. I find him very funny on 8OOTCDC and he is a scriptwriter for my fave comedian,  Bill Bailey. But I will concede his own stand-up isn't marvellous. Still better than mine though.

13 hours ago, JWL said:

File under Josh Widdicombe, Noel Fielding, Jack Whitehall etc. Utterly bemused how any of these guys have made a living out of stand up comedy (obviously lots more but can't be arsed typing all their names).

Alan Carr

James Acaster

Gina Yashere

Rob Becket - monumental levels of seethe for this one as he is just completely unfunny.

The White Cockade

Never heard of him 

Most new comedians these days are absolute mince

I do think Michael McIntyre is funny though although I may be in the minority

6 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Never heard of him 

Most new comedians these days are absolute mince

I do think Michael McIntyre is funny though although I may be in the minority

His sell-out tours would suggest otherwise.

3 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

He is an act, like lee Nelson,  johnny Vegas Angelos from the recent shooting stars. Etc

Yeah, he's effectively a 'character'.

I enjoy him on shows but don't like the little stand up I've seen.

3 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Yeah, he's effectively a 'character'.

I enjoy him on shows but don't like the little stand up I've seen.

Was Charlie Chuck an act or was he genuinely mad?  Wonder what happened to him.  'Donkey!' 

On 05/11/2019 at 21:16, TheStig said:

Like him on cats does countdown. His poem about naming peoples penises was brilliant.

Yep, that had me in stitches.  

But I get where folk are coming from.  I felt the same way about Reeves and Mortimer.  I guess there's some comedy that you either get or don't.

3 hours ago, Haken said:

Yep, that had me in stitches.  

But I get where folk are coming from.  I felt the same way about Reeves and Mortimer.  I guess there's some comedy that you either get or don't.

I'm the same with Bottom and the dangerous brothers.  Not saying it isnt funny, I just cant be both with slapstick.  

On 06/11/2019 at 11:33, Boof said:

Alan Carr

James Acaster

Gina Yashere

Rob Becket - monumental levels of seethe for this one as he is just completely unfunny.

I cannot understand how you have put James Acaster alongside Gina Yashere.

I thought James Acaster’s Netflix Specials were fantastic. 

Each to their own I suppose. I mean people keep watching Mrs Brown’s Boys FFS.

3 hours ago, Shrekeo said:

Maybe got the name wrong :lol: was he on a game/panel show where he was a bit shouty? A double act with guests...

As for Mrs Brown - put that on the Rob Becket seethe-pile.

3 hours ago, Shrekeo said:

I think Gina yashere is quite big in America just now.  I don't know why as she is brutal.  

Anyone not a Jimmy Carr fan? I think he is a master of the craft. His Naked Jape book is excellent.  Well worth getting.  Watched him do a show in new York in YouTube last night and it was brilliant.  I think he's the best out there just now.

12 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Anyone not a Jimmy Carr fan? I think he is a master of the craft. His Naked Jape book is excellent.  Well worth getting.  Watched him do a show in new York in YouTube last night and it was brilliant.  I think he's the best out there just now.

I really like him on 8OOTCDC but seen him live a few times and I’m not a fan of the “60, 2 liner joke” format.

24 minutes ago, Boof said:

Maybe got the name wrong :lol: was he on a game/panel show where he was a bit shouty? A double act with guests...

That might be ‘hypothetical’. That was a bit rubbish. His appearances on Would I Lie to You were brilliant also.

Just now, Shrekeo said:

I really like him on 8OOTCDC but seen him live a few times and I’m not a fan of the “60, 2 liner joke” format.

He done it 8n something I watched the other night and it's a bit hit and miss.  Can be padded out with puns. 

1 hour ago, Boof said:

you have got the right person, he hosted a show called hypothetical with josh widdecombe

3 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

He was good in a bbc comedy called him and her. Played an oddball neighbour.

Yeah mind of that, that was a good few years ago now.

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

you have got the right person, he hosted a show called hypothetical with josh widdecombe

Aha - thought that show was complete drivel. Sure he's probably been decent on Mock the Week or somesuch. 

Controversial, but I don't find Kevin Bridges funny in the least.  When I watch old Billy Connelly shows, I can't help but think that there was no one else like him, and no one now who could lay a glove on him.

15 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

He was good in a bbc comedy called him and her. Played an oddball neighbour.

Didn't know who Joe Wilkinson was until I read your post. Quite liked Him and Her, especially the last series at the wedding. 

This thread wouldn't be complete without Dave Gorman. The bloke's a genius. Painfully unfunny, personality free but he has his own tv series. 

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:12, dazajmbo said:

He is an act, like lee Nelson,  johnny Vegas Angelos from the recent shooting stars. Etc

Lee Nelson; is that the guy that dresses in shorts with a baseball cap and uses a high pitched cockney accent? If so, he deserves a bullet.

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Didn't know who Joe Wilkinson was until I read your post. Quite liked Him and Her, especially the last series at the wedding. 

Yeah, I liked it although often got the fear about how manky the characters were.

39 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Yeah, I liked it although often got the fear about how manky the characters were.

I can think of worse places to spend the afternoon.

1e595b4c342770e461a09beaf45ba2f4.jpg.4e9778a8e594e8a3d46dd2d7f5c7162a.jpg

4 hours ago, martoon said:

This thread wouldn't be complete without Dave Gorman. The bloke's a genius. Painfully unfunny, personality free but he has his own tv series. 

All about personal taste. I think Dave Gorman is great. Loved his books too especially the first one.

1 hour ago, Shrekeo said:

All about personal taste. I think Dave Gorman is great. Loved his books too especially the first one.

Of course, bud. We all have different tastes. 

Romesh is brilliant, id have to copy and paste his second name from google so  not going to bother, sure you'll know who im on about. Stand up is class and does great on panel shows too, league of their own is much better with him on it.

5 hours ago, Shrekeo said:

I saw him live many moons ago. I'd enjoyed Are You Dave Gorman? so went along to see his Googlewhack thing, it was shit, real shit. Had truly great sideburns too.

rudi must stay
On 05/11/2019 at 17:35, FruitJuice said:

Big fan of him and his comedy (very inventive and wacky), but he is very dead pan. 8 out of 10 cats used his comic style best, he's there 5 minutes, 5 minutes of laughs and surreal comedy and he's gone. I can imagine he's boring doing stand up

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

I saw him live many moons ago. I'd enjoyed Are You Dave Gorman? so went along to see his Googlewhack thing, it was shit, real shit. Had truly great sideburns too.

I saw his Are You Dave Gorman love and it was excellent, but not sure he had developed his act much beyond it tbh

On 08/11/2019 at 08:00, Haken said:

Controversial, but I don't find Kevin Bridges funny in the least.  When I watch old Billy Connelly shows, I can't help but think that there was no one else like him, and no one now who could lay a glove on him.

Use to love him at first but then his delivery of his jokes started to annoy me

Like a lot of comics today I find them better in game shows.

Lee Mack,Bob Mortimer,Sean Locke Joe Brand and Johnny Vegas.

16 minutes ago, benny said:

Use to love him at first but then his delivery of his jokes started to annoy me

Like a lot of comics today I find them better in game shows.

Lee Mack,Bob Mortimer,Sean Locke Joe Brand and Johnny Vegas.

Bob Mortimer on panel shows is peak humanity

Frankie Boyle, Greg Davies, Kevin bridges, Jimmy Carr and the beat comedians currently Imo. 

Taskmaster is the best show on TV imo

Edit..forgot to add jim Jefferies to that list 

Edited by AlimOzturk

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Frankie Boyle, Greg Davies, Kevin bridges, Jimmy Carr and the beat comedians currently Imo. 

Taskmaster is the best show on TV imo

Edit..forgot to add jim Jefferies to that list 

Love jim jefferies, love Legit.