Car MOT and breaks

Jambomuzz

All these years driving and never had to get an MOT, so first one for my this month, but I'm pretty sure the breaks on the car will be close to failing the MOT, so wondering what the best course of action is, do I wait and let it fail then get it done at the garage that I got the MOT done, or do I get them done beforehand? 

I had planned on phoning and being quoted a rough price for the breaks beforehand so I wasn't ripped off should the car fail the MOT on them. 

32 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

All these years driving and never had to get an MOT, so first one for my this month, but I'm pretty sure the breaks on the car will be close to failing the MOT, so wondering what the best course of action is, do I wait and let it fail then get it done at the garage that I got the MOT done, or do I get them done beforehand? 

I had planned on phoning and being quoted a rough price for the breaks beforehand so I wasn't ripped off should the car fail the MOT on them. 

Get a few prices from various places in advance. Take car to MOT, if it passes then they'll grade the brakes so you'll know how urgent it is. If it fails, get them to quote to fix it. If it is competitive to your previous quotes then get them to do it, if it isn't, take it away, get them done and then have it re-tested.

Edited by Taffin

22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Get a few prices from various places in advance. Take car to MOT, if it passes then they'll grade the brakes so you'll know how urgent it is. If it fails, get them to quote to fix it. If it is competitive to your previous quotes then get them to do it, if it isn't, take it away, get them done and then have it re-tested

I just phoned a wee place and had an idea beforehand of how much it would cost, and they quoted similar, so just gona fire it in there for the MOT, and if it fails get it done I think..

2 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

You’ll be able to tell if the pads are on their way out by looking at them. Pads are usually pretty easy to change out. Discs a bit more complicated than the pads but still straightforward. If you have a little bit of time to do them yourselves you will save a fortune. Plenty of vids or instructions online if you are new to it. Cheap cheap pads will create a lot of brake dust but depending how much you use your car you can get away with them. (If you ask the garage to do them find out what make they are going to put on and check them out first) 

Most garages now will charge you an absolute fortune for changing pads and/or discs nowadays. 

• 1 year later...

Car needs mot by 22nd this month got it done at Metro Autos down lower granton last year no issues at all cracking service ( has anyone else used these guys ? ) 

But I am currently booked for farmer on blackhall has anyone used them for mot ? Just not keen and went off the through of them doing a mot . 

going to phone Metro get booked in for next week.

On 05/11/2019 at 09:21, Jambomuzz said:

Is it the cars first MOT? 

If so how many miles you done as brakes should surely be fine 

23 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Car needs mot by 22nd this month got it done at Metro Autos down lower granton last year no issues at all cracking service ( has anyone else used these guys ? ) 

But I am currently booked for farmer on blackhall has anyone used them for mot ? Just not keen and went off the through of them doing a mot . 

I wouldn't be getting anything done other than maybe tyres though the likes of Farmer's, Kwik Fit etc.

Edited by Sooperstar

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

I wouldn't be getting anything done other than maybe tyres though the likes of Farmer's, Kwik Fit etc.

I went to one of those places in Bathgate a few years back, got quoted £300 odd because I needed a full exhaust system, another garage just a few minutes away told me I only needed the back box and did the job for £60 odd.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Metro will be getting a call tomorrow . 

Farmers closer to Craigleith were alright changing tyre few months ago but the black hall one I never really liked and that’s the one am booked in with . 

I will cancel and go back to metro.

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Car needs mot by 22nd this month got it done at Metro Autos down lower granton last year no issues at all cracking service ( has anyone else used these guys ?

Family member been using them the past few years, not heard them say anything negative about them.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I know someone who used to work for Kwik Fit. Avoid KF like the plague unless you are allergic to money.

Agree Jonsey re Kwik Fit ... I should have been a bit clearer with my post as I was referring to the Metro garage.

Doctor FinnBarr
52 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I went to one of those places in Bathgate a few years back, got quoted £300 odd because I needed a full exhaust system, another garage just a few minutes away told me I only needed the back box and did the job for £60 odd.

To be fair I'll tell a plus story about Kwik-Fit, one Sunday maybe 17/18 years ago I had a puncture in my sidecar tyre at Inverurie. Phoned Green Flag who took me to a KF in Aberdeen. Guys refused to remove the wheel because they only dealt with cars but they did lend me a jack and a socket set and they'd deal with the puncture once the wheel was off, metric socket set for imperial wheel nuts (sidecar was made in 1960) but I managed. They sorted the hole but couldn't charge me because sidecar wheels werny on the price list, they handed me a cancer charity box and asked me to donate which I did, great service.

Just now, jonesy said:

No worries. Once you find a garage you can trust it takes a big chunk of unnecessary stress out of life. I used to feel pretty good about Keith Elgin's in Morningside but haven't used them for a couple of years now.

I used to use Hunters of Linlithgow for years but was always unsure and used to worry with these guys. Wasn’t sure about other garages in Linlithgow. 

Always get a bit stressed when it comes to MOT time . 

Doctor FinnBarr
11 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I used to use Hunters of Linlithgow for years but was always unsure and used to worry with these guys. Wasn’t sure about other garages in Linlithgow. 

Mine just failed its MOT today, back in on Thursday to get sorted, a mate (Who also supplies Whitburn Hearts with buses) happens to own it, happy with the service.

18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No worries. Once you find a garage you can trust it takes a big chunk of unnecessary stress out of life. I used to feel pretty good about Keith Elgin's in Morningside but haven't used them for a couple of years now.

Personally use the AVW Garage on Gilmerton Road for servicing and MOT if required, pleasant staff and professional setup .... downside you'll wait about 3 weeks for an appointment date.

Lone Striker
34 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I used Hunters for several years - found them quite efficient and reasonable. They even offered a free  "lift home" and "pickup from home"  service (retired ex-BP chap, nice guy).   A neighbour uses Tarduff Garage and seems happy with them.

Going back 20-odd years, the best garage I ever used was Archie Graham's at Saughtonhall.    Lovely guy, explained everything to you, and was extremely reasonably priced.  It was almost a pleasure to take the car in to him.

I'm off to Stirling (West End Skoda)   on Thursday to get a persistent dashboard amber warning light diagnosed prior to getting MOT done.  Wish me luck - if the light turns red, its a roadside AA tow job. 😲

Toxteth O'Grady
On 05/11/2019 at 09:21, Jambomuzz said:

Tynecastle Garage - under the Merchie Hearts. They don’t muck you about 

This was a year and a half ago. But I got the breaks done at the time, £270. I had done 34k miles If I recall correctly. 

heartsfc_fan
2 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Personally use the AVW Garage on Gilmerton Road for servicing and MOT if required, pleasant staff and professional setup .... downside you'll wait about 3 weeks for an appointment date.

Yep used these guys aswell. Good service and offered a courtesy car at no extra charge.

7 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

My advice, for what it's worth, is if you find a local garage you trust then go back to them. Repeat custom is their lifeblood. 

Harry Potter
6 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

My advice, for what it's worth, is if you find a local garage you trust then go back to them. Repeat custom is their lifeblood. 

Thats what i do, and i give the guy business because of the trust i have with him.

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, jonesy said:

I used to use Gerry Martin in Morningside who was top class, and he reccomended Keith Elgin when he sold up. 

As an aside, the Mrs took our Kia in to Kia for it's pre MOT service and health check a couole of years ago. She was told it would cost around 3 grand to get the car through its MOT, and reeled off a huge list of problems, including needing a new steering rack. The Mrs (newborn in arms) was in tears. The bloke at Kia then told her there was a scrappage scheme whereby she could trade in the ****ed car against the cost of a new one. She promptly found heself sat in front of a salesman discussing the purchase of a new car. 

I took the old car to James Allen in Windsor St lane the next day and put it through the MOT for the price of the test and 90 quid plus VAT for repairs. 

If a dealer gives you bad news, always get a second opinion. 

Harry Potter
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I used to use Gerry Martin in Morningside who was top class, and he reccomended Keith Elgin when he sold up. 

As an aside, the Mrs took our Kia in to Kia for it's pre MOT service and health check a couole of years ago. She was told it would cost around 3 grand to get the car through its MOT, and reeled off a huge list of problems, including needing a new steering rack. The Mrs (newborn in arms) was in tears. The bloke at Kia then told her there was a scrappage scheme whereby she could trade in the ****ed car against the cost of a new one. She promptly found heself sat in front of a salesman discussing the purchase of a new car. 

I took the old car to James Allen in Windsor St lane the next day and put it through the MOT for the price of the test and 90 quid plus VAT for repairs. 

If a dealer gives you bad news, always get a second opinion. 

3000 for an MOT, 😦, heard of rip off but thats on a new level, used to get the oil changed

at a dealer, then one day collected car , with a list of faults pre MOT, MOT done and half the faults

not mentioned, never went back to them, chancers.

one tip is if you just need your car MOT'd book it into a council garage that does things like buses. As they wont offer any repairs thus have no incentive to find things to fix to charge you more

I’m through in Glasgow and for the last two years since posting this have been using Caledonian vehicle services next to ibrox subway. Haven’t had any issues and any work done was as expected. 
no extra costs at last MOT. 

This is when a company car has advantages. Iam pretty sure every time it goes in for a service there’s a couple hundred pounds done on the car the shouldn’t be. As soon as they realise it paid through the lease company must be a license to print money

• 2 weeks later...

MOT done at metro today passed no advisory’s cracking garage and customer service I’m glad I opted to back out of using farmers.

On 01/03/2021 at 21:01, FinnBarr Saunders said:

To be fair I'll tell a plus story about Kwik-Fit, one Sunday maybe 17/18 years ago I had a puncture in my sidecar tyre at Inverurie. Phoned Green Flag who took me to a KF in Aberdeen. Guys refused to remove the wheel because they only dealt with cars but they did lend me a jack and a socket set and they'd deal with the puncture once the wheel was off, metric socket set for imperial wheel nuts (sidecar was made in 1960) but I managed. They sorted the hole but couldn't charge me because sidecar wheels werny on the price list, they handed me a cancer charity box and asked me to donate which I did, great service.

Definitely think it's a lottery re kwik fit and what centre/manager is like. Pre pandemic they were still paying bonus which was sales driven so that explains why alot of cars 'need' full exhausts (instead of back boxes) or discs and brake pads (when often just the pads need changed). The local centre in Gala used to be great. Ran by local borders guy who knew reputations and their worth in a small place. Now a guy from Edinburgh has transferred down to run it. Nice enough guy but when I had an MOT done on my 5 year old Merc last year i got a page full of advisories which stated 2 new tyres, front ball joint had play and brake pads and discs were needing changed soon all round with rear discs being scored. Still passed it tbf. I worked in the motor trade for 12 years so know a bit about cars (I only use them for the chewp MOT) and smelled bull on what I was being told, apart from tyres as I could see they were getting low but still had couple of thousand miles in them. Anyway, the manager gave me the usual pitch "these tyres should be blah blah but I've got 2 on the shelf and can do them for xxx if you get them fitted today". No thanks I replied, given the pandemic I'll likely not drive a thousand miles over the next 3 months so I'll bring it back later. Ordered 2 tyres through tyre leader and took them to a local garage in Galashiels. Boy fitted them for £30. Whilst there, he checked all the other advisories and confirmed what I knew anyway....it was all bull. I should add that thst car had done about 35k miles at the time so I'd be really disappointed if ball joints were loose and brake discs scored given its a Mercedes. Also took our 8 year old, 80k volvo for an MOT the month before it and it passed with flying colours with NO advisories! That car has done about 3k miles since and the rear brakes are grinding so they most definitely shouldve been an advisory st least idve thought. Long story short, the cynic in me thinks the guy looked at the badge if the car and thought keerrching given how very different my 2 MOT went. Hence why I only use fast fits for MOT but, given how thst went last time, I'll likely just bite the bullet and pay £45-£50 an MOT at the local garage. Might be £20 more but at least I'll get a fair and honest report 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine went in today.. 

Failed. Shorn subframe bolt (found it on my driveway!) and advisories on brakes. 

Had to use new credit card and spread it over 3 payments using that klarna app. £176 pm. 

Perfect draft well and truly on back-burner now! 😠