Gorgie City Farm

Poseidon

On 02/11/2019 at 22:41, Elephant stones said:

This thought crossed my mind also.

The farm is as much part of Gorgie as Tynecastle is and feel we've got some responsibility to help out.

I certainly wouldn't oppose funds being directed towards it 

We've enough manure at our club without helping others with theirs.

GCF was not a petting zoo.

It was a working farm.

Animals were raised for slaughter.

Liquidators will sell the animals for slaughter as cash assets in an attempt to raise funds for those owed debts.

Edited by Cade

On 02/11/2019 at 18:24, AlimOzturk said:

Surely Hearts could step in and save the farm? Massive part of the community and whilst we arent awash with money it is something I'd like to see the ckub helping with 

Agreed. Hearts could surely help.

Shame millions being spent turning city centre into soulless tourist trap when places like this, in working class, communities go to the wall.

Fxxx the SPFL
16 hours ago, Cade said:

GCF was not a petting zoo.

It was a working farm.

Animals were raised for slaughter.

Liquidators will sell the animals for slaughter as cash assets in an attempt to raise funds for those owed debts.

I think all the animals have got a stay of execution (no pun intended) but one councillor has stated that there is no immediate danger of the animals being taken away as they have interested charities looking to take the farm forward and £59k already raised will give it a bit more breathing space you would think to find potential  long term funding.

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not important what the name is. So long as the same ethos is kept. 

Edinburgh community farm would be nice. 

58 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Sevco can use the name Rangers after liquidation, surely there shouldn't be anything stopping a new charity using a name very similar to the one it replaced?

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

If Sevco can use the name Rangers after liquidation, surely there shouldn't be anything stopping a new charity using a name very similar to the one it replaced?

Maybe a rebranding will do it good.

'Edinburgh' is more appealing than 'Gorgie'.

Apparently it has 200,000 visitors a year.

If the previous £100,000 fundraiser kept it going for three years than a token entry fee of 20p would generate 40 grand a year.

None of this adds up or makes any sense.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

If the previous £100,000 fundraiser kept it going for three years than a token entry fee of 20p would generate 40 grand a year.

And considering they sell livestock, have a cafe and sell other merchandise the money they must generate with those  numbers of visitors must surely make it a viable buisness. 

Like you say, makes no sense at all. 

They were looking to expand earlier this year. I visited on behalf of network rail as their potential work would have impacted the railway.

Edited by Homme

Mr Brightside
5 hours ago, Cade said:

Last time I was there in August, I am sure they had a sign up saying it costs £1,400 a day to run the farm.

That’s over £0.5m a year which seems a lot for a charity organisation.

34 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Last time I was there in August, I am sure they had a sign up saying it costs £1,400 a day to run the farm.

That’s over £0.5m a year which seems a lot for a charity organisation.

Wonder how much of that is ground rent?

Mr Brightside
2 hours ago, Cade said:

No idea it just seemed an unsustainably high amount unless they were getting third party funding. Would always pop in with my boy after visiting the club shop and he enjoyed it.

5 hours ago, Cade said:

The rent is about £6000 a year.  I suppose the 18 paid staff must have cost a bit.

On 04/11/2019 at 11:38, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Surprised that charlatan from social bite hasn’t got involved to put himself in the headlines again.

They had a pop-up cafe near my work the other week, seemed like they were doing good work.

What is the issue with them?

Genuine question, I don't know a huge amount about them past its a homeless charity that has started up eco type villages.

• 2 weeks later...

If they save the farm that Lassie Hannah really should be given a job on the marketing team. She does an incredible job talking up the farm and whipping up support. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good stuff. Doesn't matter what name it comes in under as long as the community farm is there for years to come. Hope fully see some positive changes  

Like the idea being floated by some of the charities in there like including a food bank, extending the cafe to make it more available to the public and making the farm more open for the animals to roam. 

Superb and I hope they bring out a membership scheme as i would happily sign up for that 👍 

Carl Fredrickson

Delighted to hear it is going to re-open. I can only echo the post Re an enquiry into the demise of the GCF. I too would gladly pay an annual membership fee as it is a much loved place of my kids. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see it is opening again on Saturday - anyone going before the game?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/gorgie-farm-set-reopen-under-new-name-saturday-1995909

"Hearts and Hibs footballers, Edinburgh and Scotland rugby players, politicians and Council representatives will be amongst those attending the festivities which begin at 11am on Saturday morning."

Wonder which players will be there?

been here before
4 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/gorgie-farm-set-reopen-under-new-name-saturday-1995909

"Hearts and Hibs footballers, Edinburgh and Scotland rugby players, politicians and Council representatives will be amongst those attending the festivities which begin at 11am on Saturday morning."

I'll go if you go.

You still owe me for the no-show at the swing park.

Shanks said no

If you go can you take some photos and post them here? 

Shanks said no
18 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

weird comment

How’s it weird?, you have said before you like taking photos and many of us would like to see the changes made at Gorgie Farm. 
if you are going to stand up @been here before again you could always come along to Bensons and show me your photos. 

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

How’s it weird?, you have said before you like taking photos and many of us would like to see the changes made at Gorgie Farm. 
if you are going to stand up @been here before again you could always come along to Bensons and show me your photos. 

what's this nonsense about standing someone up?

It is very weird behaviour to want to meet someone you don't know

been here before
6 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

what's this nonsense about standing someone up?

I waited for ages in White Park for you before the Killie game. Id bought us a white pudding supper and a can of kestral to share before the game. I spent ages trying to keep 2 swings warm and then you didnt show.

I still have your half.

And now you're pretending you've forgotten me?

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

I waited for ages in White Park for you before the Killie game. Id bought us a white pudding supper and a can of kestral to share before the game. I spent ages trying to keep 2 swings warm and then you didnt show.

I still have your half.

you are coming across as weird tbh

been here before
48 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

you are coming across as weird tbh

Not denying it though eh?

What about Saturday, if you're going after Gorgie Farm. Ill buy a new supper.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, been here before said:

I still have your half.

Can i have it? :greggy:

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Not denying it though eh?

What about Saturday, if you're going after Gorgie Farm. Ill buy a new supper.

no thanks

Governor Tarkin

Not familiar with the premise of on-line dating apps, I see.