Gorgie City Farm

Poseidon

Sad news about Gorgie City Farm. They raised over £100k 3 years ago but broke again and can't keep going

Took my boys a good few times when they were growing up.

🙁 Popped in on Monday for a few mins to reminisce while watching the ducks.  First thing that struck me was the red tractor was missing.  An ominous portent!

Sad times. Is there no attempt to crowdfund to try and get it reopened? Would happily fling a few quid their way (again). 

Dagger Is Back

Fecking sick. Took the kids many a time when they were nippers.

I’ve said it elsewhere but places like these form the fabric of society and local community.

We’re worse off for their absence. Pisses me off big style when I see the wastage in modern day life and then see places like this disappearing

Wish I was smart enough to come up with a plan to help

37 minutes ago, maroongoals said:

livestock  to be sold to slaughter,sad

:(

Hope somebody steps in and gives them a home aswell.

1 hour ago, maroongoals said:

livestock  to be sold to slaughter,sad

It was a working farm.

Livestock were routinely sold for slaughter.

It was not a petting zoo.

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Fecking sick. Took the kids many a time when they were nippers.

I’ve said it elsewhere but places like these form the fabric of society and local community.

We’re worse off for their absence. Pisses me off big style when I see the wastage in modern day life and then see places like this disappearing

Wish I was smart enough to come up with a plan to help

Took my grandkids regularly. Surely this project which was an integral part of the community could have survived through income via the social economy. Probably less deserving projects getting priority in terms of grant funding. Surely it is not too late for some form of rescue package.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

It was a working farm.

Livestock were routinely sold for slaughter.

It was not a petting zoo.

The sausages they served in the cafe were from their animals. 

12 hours ago, Dave McCreery's knee said:

Remember milking a goat there 35 years ago at primary school

That's not prison slang is it.......?

Very sad indeed, spent many a day there with my boys when they were little, shame for the volunteers for

all the work they do and the fact they find it a big part of their lifes.

Hopefully a buyer might save it, if i had the money i would.

Carl Fredrickson

Hopefully someone will bail them out. My 4 year old daughter loves going to GCF and we go 5 or 6 times a year. The thought of telling her it is closed makes me sad. 

Sad. Would make a day of it with my son going to the football. Gorgie farm, swing park, prison officers club for some Pie beans and refreshments and off to to the game. Sadly missed

Very sad news indeed.  Always took the kids there when they were younger, I enjoyed going there, too.  My Edinburgh is disappearing.

Think how much the massive xmas market will make... If Underbelly want to try make up with the city a little, they could make a donation so the farm stays open through to next year while some rescue plan made.

Can't lose this, where is the Edinburgh history and culture going... No shortage of cash but in the wrong hands as usual.

Plenty of money flying around Edinburgh, nobody willing to keep a much loved charity going.

Having said that, questions must be asked of what the managers have been doing in the last three years after raising £100k the last time they got into trouble.

How did they not manage to secure long term funding in that period?

Edited by Cade

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Plenty of money flying around Edinburgh, nobody willing to keep a much loved charity going.

Having said that, questions must be asked of what the managers have been doing in the last three years after raising £100k the last time they got into trouble.

How did they not manage to secure long term funding in that period?

Surely Hearts could step in and save the farm? Massive part of the community and whilst we arent awash with money it is something I'd like to see the ckub helping with 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-gorgie-farm?utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet

The former staff at the farm have set up a go fund me page to try and save the farm. If the farm cannot be said the money will be sent to the edinburgh cat and dog home instead. Well worth a few quid.

Elephant stones
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Surely Hearts could step in and save the farm? Massive part of the community and whilst we arent awash with money it is something I'd like to see the ckub helping with 

This thought crossed my mind also.

The farm is as much part of Gorgie as Tynecastle is and feel we've got some responsibility to help out.

I certainly wouldn't oppose funds being directed towards it 

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

This

Hopefully just a coincidence but can't help having a nagging suspicion that the council have reduced funding to almost force this closure to sell off the land now that the Springwell House development is underway.

Just now, Poseidon said:

Hopefully just a coincidence but can't help having a nagging suspicion that the council have reduced funding to almost force this closure to sell off the land now that the Springwell House development is underway.

Highly likely.

ECC does have rather large tram line loan repayments to make every year.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Wouldn’t surprise me with these muppets.

15 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yup. Budge was apparently very passionate about not just growing club, but the whole Gorgie community and the farm is one of the most infamous institutions in the area, as well as our club.

I'd imagine having ties could certainly be utilised too. Family days and what not, and even then, just giving something back to the community.

I donated to the last crowdfunding page but is there much point now? Clearly they need regular funding rather than a bung every time the shit hits the fan. Something like a pledge would be better where people can donate maybe a fiver a month. Assuming that wasn't already a thing?

Just three years ago over £100,000 was raised the last time GCF got into financial trouble.
Questions need to be asked as to just what the management have been doing over the last three years.
Clearly they were not spending that time securing new funding, sponsorship deals or launching a subscription membership scheme or anything else to secure the long term survival of the farm.
It is a terrible shame to see this city institution fail but if it goes bust twice in three years it points to systemic failings and an non-viable set up.
Hopefully a white knight with deep pockets can be found to save the farm and keep it running for the forseeable future.
Questions also need to be asked regarding the neighbouring Springwell House redevelopment and if any pressure had been put on the farm to sell up and move out so that more re-development could be done.
The sheer speed of this shut-down smells awfully suspect to me.

Fxxx the SPFL
27 minutes ago, munro9 said:

Heard it’s closing ( or closed). Come on Hearts, would take much to help a local institution loved by the community.

there is already a thread on this mods merge

2 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

there is already a thread on this mods merge

Sorry, please merge or at least change my spelling error ( spellcheck) before any other smart @rse jumps on the bandwagon.

thanks

They clearly have some money issues as they had to raise 100k the other year to keep going. Seems they haven't been able to improve the cash flow issues in that time.

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

They clearly have some money issues as they had to raise 100k the other year to keep going. Seems they haven't been able to improve the cash flow issues in that time.

Mismanagement of the highest order IMO. As other have alluded to, there could be some sleazy attempts get the land and build houses.