Odds on next manager

DB-14

Moyes would be an incredible appointment and exactly what we need in restructuring the football side of things . 

Obviously if he was successful he would inevitably move on but even a couple of years of his input would be invaluable. 

Seems  far fetched but you never know , we can only hope . 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Robinson’s Motherwell team are utter guff, full of hammer throwers with no style. Robinson himself is a mouthy, arrogant wank who would be out of a job if it weren’t for being forced to play Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie. Levein beat him 3 times last season and has already beat him at Fir Park this season and Motherwell were awful in that game. Would be an incredibly underwhelming appointment imo. 

This needs to be the right appointment. 

Bobby Bowie at Killie seems to have now got it right twice where we have gone so wrong with our last 2 appointments. 

Moyes would be an interesting choice. A lot would depend on whether he wants to manage again and whether he’d want to manage in Scotland. I know Naismith has a really good relationship with him.

In terms of managers in Scotland, Robinson is the only one I’d want. What we do need to step away from us this clamour for ex players/managers to return. Football has moved on, so we need to.

I want us to appoint someone who is not going to bottle it going to Glasgow.

We have a good squad, it just needs someone to get players playing in their correct position and not worry about defending. Make other teams worry about us instead

10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Jose assistant at Real Madrid for 3 years

The Vladimir Romanov chant fits him lovely. Get him in

The Treasurer
5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Skybet latest

Steve Robinson

8/11

Jack Ross

7/2

David Moyes

9/2

John Robertson

9/1

None of these fill me with any excitement

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

None of these fill me with any excitement

Ffs, Moyes would be unbelievable. 

The rest I agree with. 

Who would excite you? 

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ffs, Moyes would be unbelievable. 

The rest I agree with. 

Who would excite you? 

I honestly don't know who I'd want at this time.

As for Moyes, I just feel he's had one good spell as a manager (at Everton) and has done absolutely nothing else either before or after.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, The Treasurer said:

As for Moyes, I just feel he's had one good spell as a manager (at Everton) and has done absolutely nothing else either before or after.

Tbf, he was brilliant at Everton. 

He's Been man Utd and valencia manager in the past 5 years and was ok at West ham recently. 

He's one of only 4 managers to win 200 Epl games and he's Scottish!

He'd be unbelievable. 

His pedigree is above us. 

Fair doos tho, if we get a better pedigree than that we'll be laughing. 

He won't be here, tho. 

Robinson, Ross more likely. 

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbf, he was brilliant at Everton. 

He's Been man Utd and valencia manager in the past 5 years and was ok at West ham recently. 

He's one of only 4 managers to win 200 Epl games and he's Scottish!

He'd be unbelievable. 

His pedigree is above us. 

Fair doos tho, if we get a better pedigree than that we'll be laughing. 

He won't be here, tho. 

Robinson, Ross more likely. 

Moyes was a disaster at Man U, poor at Valencia and poor at West Ham

Robinson and Ross fall into the same category for me, one decent spell at one club with nothing much else on their CV

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Salma Hayek.

Ffs I googled that as well, was thinking a Turkish manager or some some German coach. 

She'd go with two up top I reckon, has form for that. 

David Moyes for. The man has managed of the biggest clubs in world football, done extremely well at Everton and got the blessing of Sir Alex. Has lost his way a fair bit but surely could see hearts as on heck of a project. Would surely be a made man already and still have great contacts. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Moyes was a disaster at Man U, poor at Valencia and poor at West Ham

Robinson and Ross fall into the same category for me, one decent spell at one club with nothing much else on their CV

Aye, look at the clubs tho... 

Ffs. 

We're Hearts, not inter Milan 

I meant R sociedad. Doh.  Confused us both. 

16 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

This needs to be the right appointment. 

Bobby Bowie at Killie seems to have now got it right twice where we have gone so wrong with our last 2 appointments. 

Moyes would be an interesting choice. A lot would depend on whether he wants to manage again and whether he’d want to manage in Scotland. I know Naismith has a really good relationship with him.

In terms of managers in Scotland, Robinson is the only one I’d want. What we do need to step away from us this clamour for ex players/managers to return. Football has moved on, so we need to.

I want us to appoint someone who is not going to bottle it going to Glasgow.

We have a good squad, it just needs someone to get players playing in their correct position and not worry about defending. Make other teams worry about us instead

Moyes would be an interesting choice. Also keen to see if we have identified anyone foreign and who has a lot of potential in the game 

in Scotland Robinson (not for me) is being linked but if we had to plump for a Scottish Manager i would take the sheep manager if he was available (don’t laugh) 

you will have the usual ex hearts players being linked but something may come out of England as well 

Lets just get this appointment absolutely right - that’s the most important thing 

3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Moyes was doing great things with Preston which is why he got the gig at Everton. What he achieved at Everton made one of the biggest clubs in the world take notice then give him a chance.

Replacing the greatest manager in the world was....and is still proving to be an impossible task.

He had a tough year at Real Sociedad but did manage a win v Barca !!

He had another tough year at Sunderland......but he isn’t alone in that.

He then dragged West Ham out the relegation zone to secure their Premiership status.

In short.....

His managerial career is far more impressive than George Burleys for example and totally eclipses anyone we could dream of employing.

i think you need to lower your expectations and get real.

Shanks said no

A successful Moyes would be away to Celtic or back down south quickly but it’s a risk worth taking.

I'm not getting the Robinson love in and it might be very short lived.

would rather we went for Aitor Karanka or Daniel Stendel if Moyes wasn’t interested. 

Just now, DH1986 said:

Moyes was doing great things with Preston which is why he got the gig at Everton. What he achieved at Everton made one of the biggest clubs in the world take notice then give him a chance.

Replacing the greatest manager in the world was....and is still proving to be an impossible task.

He then dragged West Ham out the relegation zone to secure their Premiership status.

In short.....

His managerial career is far more impressive than George Burleys for example and totally eclipses anyone we could dream of employing.

Would be interested to see if he was interested. You may be right but if u don’t ask you don’t get and all that.

its the type of project that might just appeal to him at this very point in his career and ultimately to get back in the game 

Good managers that are currently managing at a top level (just recently warnock) have said it would be an attractive proposition turning us into a force and to compete with the OF so you just never know 

10 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Was good at Preston as well.Man Utd I think we can scrub as it's starting to come out just how much of a shit time everyone has had trying to operate with Woodward.

Record since then is poor though but they have always looked doomed before he started.Think it's a non starter anyway as he will be way beyond our pay structure.

Moyes would be an unbelievable appointment and to be fair would be a statement on its own.

Yes, he hasn’t had much success since Everton, but having managed some of the biggest teams not to mention his experience would be a cut above most in the Scottish Prem!

Don’t think it’ll happen but keeping an open mind and excited to see what happens. Just hope it doesn’t take as long as what it did to appoint Levein :rofl:

Edited by D4nny_

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

A successful Moyes would be away to Celtic or back down south quickly but it’s a risk worth taking.

would rather we went for Aitor Karanka or Daniel Stendel if Moyes wasn’t interested. 

Genuine question and think I saw you saying these names before.

What’s the deal on the 2 that you mentioned in your post ?

32 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

Robinson’s Motherwell team are utter guff, full of hammer throwers with no style. Robinson himself is a mouthy, arrogant wank who would be out of a job if it weren’t for being forced to play Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie. Levein beat him 3 times last season and has already beat him at Fir Park this season and Motherwell were awful in that game. Would be an incredibly underwhelming appointment imo. 

The Hearts way tbh. Many seem to crave that sort of shite and boring football. Just look at some of the suggestions here.

:rofl:

Zzzzzzzzzzz!

Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Would be interested to see if he was interested. You may be right but if u don’t ask you don’t get and all that.

its the type of project that might just appeal to him at this very point in his career and ultimately to get back in the game 

Good managers that are currently managing at a top level (just recently warnock) have said it would be an attractive proposition turning us into a force and to compete with the OF so you just never know 

Moyes win percentage at Man Utd is something like the 5th or 6th highest in their history.

How anyone could turn their nose up at that astounds me tbh.

8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Any successful Hearts manager would move on.

Or should we appoint someone who doesn't bring success and stays forever? Should have just kept Levein.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Moyes win percentage at Man Utd is something like the 5th or 6th highest in their history.

It’s certainly an interesting one. Would be interested to know whether (at this stage) we have someone earmarked or that we are completely open pending all applications 

Putting aside the fact that there will have to be a formal interview process either way 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

This.. Moyes would do for us what Steve Clark did for killie.. in fact - he’s at a far higher level..

we should get down on our knees and beg him to take it

Shanks said no
13 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Genuine question and think I saw you saying these names before.

What’s the deal on the 2 that you mentioned in your post ?

Purely based on career and career stats

on train so access limited but Stendel has managed Hanover and Barnsley and has a win % of 48% Barnsley now questioning the decision to sack him. Also played over 300 times in Germany 

Karanka has managed Middlesbrough and Forest and his stats were 47 and 30% but Forest have been a basket case for a long time. Playing over 300 times in Spain including Real, working under Jose for 3 years.

sort of makes me think these guys have actual football pedigree as opposed to Robinson, Ross and many others on the list 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Shanks said no
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Any successful Hearts manager would move on.

Or should we appoint someone who doesn't bring success and stays forever? Should have just kept Levein.

That’s what I said - it’s a risk worth taking

1. Michael O'Neill

Is at Tynie every week, lives in Edinburgh, his assistant is the caretaker, the standout for me

2. Billy Davies

I think its telling the the DoF seems to have been shelved, remember Billy Davies ruled Billy Davies out of the running after being interviewed, as he said Hearts needed to change their strategy. Don't be surprised to see him back in the running, and don't forget he is a good manager.

3. Jack Ross

Will probably be considered, but how much of the "baggage" is actually true?

4. Stephen Robinson

Seems to be well touted, but not for me, I can't see Budge going to upset another SPL club

5. Alex Neil

I suspect he just may leave Preston for the SPL

Davie Moyes/Chris Coleman/Chris Hughton/Sam Allardyce/Roy Keane

No harm in asking

My wildcard - John Terry

1 minute ago, ericb said:

1. Michael O'Neill

Is at Tynie every week, lives in Edinburgh, his assistant is the caretaker, the standout for me

2. Billy Davies

I think its telling the the DoF seems to have been shelved, remember Billy Davies ruled Billy Davies out of the running after being interviewed, as he said Hearts needed to change their strategy. Don't be surprised to see him back in the running, and don't forget he is a good manager.

3. Jack Ross

4. Stephen Robinson

Seems to be well touted, but not for me, I can't see Budge going to upset another SPL club

5. Alex Neil

No harm in asking

My wildcard - John Terry

The problem with Billy Davies is Billy Davies the guy is a rocket and seems to self destruct everywhere he goes and causes mayhem.I do agree though he has been a good manager.

1 minute ago, ericb said:

1. Michael O'Neill

2. Billy Davies

3. Jack Ross

4. Stephen Robinson

5. Alex Neil

No harm in asking

My wildcard - John Terry

Billy Davis has spent more time out of work than in it since he became a manager.

He’s been employed less than 9 years out of 21 since he took on the Motherwell job in 1998.

He hasn’t worked for 5 years.

He won’t work again.

My main worry is they have already decided who the man they want is ( Robinson )

I just want them to get this right by looking at all the applications and interviewing folk before making a crucial decision.

4 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Purely based on career and career stats

on train so access limited but Stendel has managed Hanover and Barnsley and has a win % of 48% Barnsley now questioning the decision to sack him. Also played over 300 times in Germany 

Karanka has managed Middlesbrough and Forest and his stats were 47 and 30% but Forest have been a basket case for a long time. Playing over 300 times in Spain including Real, working under Jose for 3 years.

sort of makes me think these guys have actual football pedigree as opposed to Robinson, Ross and many others on the list 

Interesting as well. Didn’t know their background at all.

There is certainly a bit of appeal about someone foreign, ambitious and relatively young who probably finds the duolopy of the old firm something to challenge 

appreciate the update 

Davie Moyes with Steven Naismith doing his apprenticeship as number 2. 

If he’s successful he will probably  be gone within 2 years and if he wants to take Naismith we’d have to be compensated for 2 years of a playing contract. If not, a smooth transition to Naismith as manager. 

Aim high!!! 

The Treasurer
42 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

In short.....

As you have no idea what my expectations are, I don't know how you can tell me to lower them.

Just because I don't want Moyes doesn't mean I think we can attract a "bigger" name

Hampden Demolition
18 minutes ago, ericb said:

1. Michael O'Neill

2. Billy Davies

3. Jack Ross

4. Stephen Robinson

5. Alex Neil

No harm in asking

My wildcard - John Terry

There’s no way Neil would leave Preston to come here. Davies can gtf. Ross isn’t good enough.

I would like us to have a look at Gareth Ainsworth, Mark Robins, Daniel Stendal and Michael Flynn.

3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

As you have no idea what my expectations are, I don't know how you can tell me to lower them.

Just because I don't want Moyes doesn't mean I think we can attract a "bigger" name

You have expectations of someone better than David Moyes.

Time to come back to Planet Earth.

8/11

7/2

9/2

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/hearts/next-permanent-manager

Lots of chat regarding who the new manager should be but lets be realistic with some names that we are trying to attract and the job they have done with big budgets - Jack Ross, David Moyes, Roy Keane etc. 

Austin MacPhee in charge for the weekend so lets see what happens there and back him. Michael O'Neil closely linked with Austin so may be a good shout, however maybe Austin's time is now during a period of a busy few months with 11 games before end of season, 12 if we make the cup final. 

We have a new manager in for the moment, lets back this one as the last few months have been miserable.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

many Boro supporting mate said karanka was one of the most boring , defensive manager’s he had ever seen. 

The Treasurer
31 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

You have expectations of someone better than David Moyes.

Time to come back to Planet Earth.

As I said before, you have no idea what my expectations are.

2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

As I said before, you have no idea what my expectations are.

So....

You want someone not as good as Moyes ?

The Treasurer
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

So....

You want someone not as good as Moyes ?

You're very good (or should that be bad) at putting words into my mouth.

I want someone who is best suited to the role.

It might be someone with a better CV than Moyes or it might be someone more "low profile"

Someone who has been a good manager at one club does not automatically mean he's the right person for another club

As I mentioned on another thread that got lost and shot down the pages:

Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe - what he’s done there with basically free signings and no money is brilliant (relatively speaking)

Karl Robinson at Oxford - did similar at MK Dons and went through the leagues. Always seems to have a bit of edginess to him which I like 

Steve Watson at York - OK we’re talking way down the divisions but clearly has the pedigree of a EPL playing career... He’s doing an unbelievable job, think he’s unbeaten since March, practically the polar opposite of Levein’s stats. He was also doing the same at Gateshead before they imploded financially. 

The German idea is solid and worth looking into - I like the idea of Tullberg. I don’t know whether Dortmund Reserves to us is a step up or down, I suppose it depends how you look at it.  Similarly the Dinamo Dresden manager - Fiel or Friel I think - very good record last season although they’ve started poorly this season

I’m generally uninspired by anyone at all who’s played or managed in this country - there’s a pretty high probability that it’ll end up same old same old whether they’ve got a Hearts connection or not - we have to go for someone fresh, open minded and fearless of the OF.  The two major selling points for me are: 1) Our City and potential therein 2) “You could be the person to break this ridiculous duopoly with the right approach” - it has to be looked at ambitiously, not just a bloke who’ll get us 3rd two seasons in a row.