Odds on next manager

DB-14

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't buy that at all. 

We're also a few wins from 5th with lots of injured players to come back. 

Even if we were mid table now, we'd only be a few points of bottom so your logic is flawed, severely. 

You can't allow say 3-6 points of a difference with 27 games left influence your decision. 

To say you'd make a different decision if say 5 points better off and in 6th, to what you would now is crazy. 

That shouldnt be an influence, never mind a deciding factor in who we appoint. 

I agree with the OP's sentiment, not entirely his logic in terms of where we are currently in the league, as I agree with you on that point, it could turn around fairly quickly if we get the right person.

Where I am verging towards a 'safer' appointment, for want of a better word, is the fact that the last time we went for something different, we ended up with Cathro, who turned out to be a disaster.  We've now also dispensed with Levein's services, which after signs of promise ended up being another pretty disastrous reign.

For that reason, I'm not sure we want to be taking too many chances when appointing the next manager.  We can ill afford to get this appointment wrong.  My dilemma is, of all the names currently in the frame, there are none who I am hugely convinced about, probably Moyes would be my preferred choice, though I have no idea if we could entice him to come to us.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

3 minutes ago, Placid Casual said:

Ah, I see, sorry Rob. Easy mistake to make on here.

No need to apologise, you were right with your first assumption that I was at it.

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I wouldn't employ another Cathro either. 

But I don't want that experience to put us of being brave. 

It would need to be an experienced manager or a highly experienced player. 

I think that will be the criteria, we can look at other leagues tho for that. 

Cathro was neither. 

When I said another appointment like that, I meant an appointment that could just be another failure.

Being brave is something I would love us to do again, appointing Cathro was very brave and forward thinking however I just don’t feel that the club are in a position where we can be taking risks on players or managers that have no knowledge of our league and how the game is.

Relegation is simply not an option and taking unnecessary risks at a time where we’re sitting 11th and on the same points as 12th after a full round of games is asking for trouble.

Our outlook now should be to have someone who can come in and have us consistently finishing in the top for a couple seasons and then making the brave appointment you are looking for.

Now is not the time to be taking a gamble.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I agree with the OP's sentiment, not entirely his logic in terms of where we are currently in the league, as I agree with you on that point, it could turn around fairly quickly if we get the right person.

Where I am verging towards a 'safer' appointment, for want of a better word, is the fact that the last time we went for something different, we ended up with Cathro, who turned out to be a disaster.  We've now also dispensed with Levein's services, which after signs of promise ended up being another pretty disastrous reign.

For that reason, I'm not sure we want to be taking too many chances when appointing the next manager.  We can ill afford to get this appointment wrong.  My dilemma is, of all the names currently in the frame, there are none who I am hugely convinced about, probably Moyes would be my preferred choice, though I have no idea if we could entice him to come to us.

Cathro was too different, tho. 

😂

I must make it clear, I do  not want Cathro back. 👍

By different I meant an experienced, successful manager relative to their league. 

9 minutes ago, RobNox said:

As I said in a comment after, I didn’t necessarily mean mid-table in the league as it stands now, hands up that I was maybe unclear on that.

As a comparison though and maybe to make my point clearer, when Robbie left we could afford to take a risk on Cathro but now, when we’re 11th and on the same points as 12th, I don’t think we should be taking a risk like that.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Cathro was too different, tho. 

😂

I must make it clear, I do  not want Cathro back. 👍

By different I meant an experienced, successful manager relative to their league. 

I get that, but anyone without prior knowledge of the Scottish game is huge risk for us at present. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, DarioHMFC said:

When I said another appointment like that, I meant an appointment that could just be another failure.

Being brave is something I would love us to do again, appointing Cathro was very brave and forward thinking however I just don’t feel that the club are in a position where we can be taking risks on players or managers that have no knowledge of our league and how the game is.

Relegation is simply not an option and taking unnecessary risks at a time where we’re sitting 11th and on the same points as 12th after a full round of games is asking for trouble.

Our outlook now should be to have someone who can come in and have us consistently finishing in the top for a couple seasons and then making the brave appointment you are looking for.

Now is not the time to be taking a gamble.

Maybe, but I'm confident we are not actually going to be relagated. 

I'm coming from a different place than you, tho. 

If we had ten games left and our poor results had been with a full team I'd agree. 

Imo we'll be no were near relegation. 

With that in mind, we make the correct call now, based on the right reasons. 

That might be Robinson, but imo there must be better applicants interested. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

I get that, but anyone without prior knowledge of the Scottish game is huge risk for us at present. 

Head coach with his am, with a mix of his coaching staff and say 2 Scottish coaches, say kirk and Locke bridges that gap tho. 

Also got CL to lean on 😉

Edited by Smith's right boot

Gerard and Lampard have been successes. What about gary Neville? He talks a good game, did shit at Valencia but maybe he'd like a chance to prove himself? 

I'm always surprised that kevin Keegan gave up.on football. Would he fancy one last go at it?

As I said on another thread, we're an attractive team to manage with our resources, fan base and relatively low ambitions with 3rd place being the best we could hope for. 

More realistic appointments would be steve Robinson or Moyes. 

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe, but I'm confident we are not actually going to be relagated. 

I'm coming from a different place than you, tho. 

If we had ten games left and our poor results had been with a full team I'd agree. 

Imo we'll be no were near relegation. 

With that in mind, we make the correct call now, based on the right reasons. 

That might be Robinson, but imo there must be better applicants interested. 

I’m confident that if we make the right appointment we won’t be anywhere near relegation but I’m also aware that with the wrong appointment it is a real possibility.

I just don’t know if I can come round to the thinking that we should risking someone untried in Scotland, at this moment in time.

Regardless, I have absolutely zero input in who the club decides is best to take us forward. I’ll back whoever comes in and hope they can move us on and start to build the team we’re capable of with our squad.

3 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Gerard and Lampard have been successes. What about gary Neville? He talks a good game, did shit at Valencia but maybe he'd like a chance to prove himself? 

I'm always surprised that kevin Keegan gave up.on football. Would he fancy one last go at it?

As I said on another thread, we're an attractive team to manage with our resources, fan base and relatively low ambitions with 3rd place being the best we could hope for. 

Our only hope with Moyes is he doesn’t care about money and wants somewhere to prove himself. If not, there’s no danger we can afford him.

As for Neville, he currently earns about 3x as much at Sky as he would at Hearts. 

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

No, he has the subtly of a brick imo. Will never make it, plus he's happy getting the big bucks with sky

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, DarioHMFC said:

I’m confident that if we make the right appointment we won’t be anywhere near relegation but I’m also aware that with the wrong appointment it is a real possibility.

I just don’t know if I can come round to the thinking that we should risking someone untried in Scotland, at this moment in time.

Regardless, I have absolutely zero input in who the club decides is best to take us forward. I’ll back whoever comes in and hope they can move us on and start to build the team we’re capable of with our squad.

I disagree regarding relegation tbh. I could be wrong tho. 

From the team sheet from the defeat on Wed, I think Walker, Naismith, Haring, Washington, Meshino, Whelan, Mulraney, Halkett and Souttar all improve us and along with other players, even 3/4's of them coming back at various times improves us to a level to be well clear of relegation - no matter the manager. 

The challenge is making us at least the third best team and getting the mojo back. 

Agree last paragraph. 

I won't be dissapointed if we appoint Robinson. Just not overly excited. 

4 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Our only hope with Moyes is he doesn’t care about money and wants somewhere to prove himself. If not, there’s no danger we can afford him.

As for Neville, he currently earns about 3x as much at Sky as he would at Hearts. 

Is money that big a thing for these guys? They've already made their millions in football. We didn't think we'd get Naismith! Neville has something to prove.

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

Shelley Kerr for me, would be a complete break from the 'boys' gang.  It would also show how progressive we are as a club in embracing the women's game.  It would probably encourage even more women to start coming to the games, which can't be a bad thing.

3 reasons to employ her but not one of them footballing ones or being the best candidate. But of course we both now you are kidding.

28 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

3 reasons to employ her but not one of them footballing ones or being the best candidate. But of course we both now you are kidding.

Of course I was kidding, just on the wind up, knowing how much you appreciate the women's game!

I think it was earlier on this thread I said I wouldn't even want her in charge of our women's team, seems she can't handle her bevvy very well.

Anyway, let's see what transpires in our hunt for the next manager.  I don't know about you, but there really isn't one name that really jumps out at me from the list of realistic contenders.

3 hours ago, RobNox said:

Of course I was kidding, just on the wind up, knowing how much you appreciate the women's game!

I think it was earlier on this thread I said I wouldn't even want her in charge of our women's team, seems she can't handle her bevvy very well.

Anyway, let's see what transpires in our hunt for the next manager.  I don't know about you, but there really isn't one name that really jumps out at me from the list of realistic contenders.

Is she actually a Hearts supporter? I've heard that.

Btw I meant "know" in my post. I hate when you re- read your post later notice a glaring typo then too late to edit

:seething:

Riddley Walker

I take it the folk touring Moyes haven't followed his career after Everton? He's been horrendous apart from half a season at West Ham and inspires zero confidence the way he comes across. Getting the Man U gig seemed to ruin him. There's a reason he's unemployed, no thanks.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Robinson has a style? 

actually his 7th and 8th places were built on “ a physical and direct style which drew criticism from some quarters “ sounds like levein MK2 😂

SpoilerHearts have announced their new manager Laig Crevein on a 5 year deal. Previous manager Craig Levein is said to be delighted to have found someone with his level of pedigree to really take the side forward. A smooth transition is to be expected.

44D279FC-529C-4B25-9BD5-9FE976470E4E.jpeg

Hearts have announced their new manager Laig Crevein on a 5 year deal. Previous manager Craig Levein is said to be delighted to have found someone with his level of pedigree to really take the side forward. A smooth transition is to be expected.

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

piss off 😂 

Honestly wouldn't be surprised. Was told a couple of months back that we’d sounded her out about hypothetical long term possibilities.*

AB herself, a female success in what was until then the male oriented world of IT, would (I suspect) have few qualms rolling the dice and empowering a fellow femme.

*Not ITK at all. Was told this by a fellow Jambo though here in Glasgow who said he’d had heard from a business associate, purporting to know it as fact.

7 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Moyes is the standout available manager - by a country mile. We should throw the kitchen sink trying to get him in. If there is any possibility, that would be the ideal appointment which this football club needs. 

Jose's available and looking 🙄

I would like us to go through the interview process if Robinson is still who they think fits best then fair enough.Lets be honest though just cause Well are third just now they could easily end up 6th or 7th again.They seem highly inconsistent

kingantti1874
27 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised. Was told a couple of months back that we’d sounded her out about hypothetical long term possibilities.*

AB herself, a female success in what was until then the male oriented world of IT, would (I suspect) have few qualms rolling the dice and empowering a fellow femme.

*Not ITK at all. Was told this by a fellow Jambo though here in Glasgow who said he’d had heard from a business associate, purporting to know it as fact.

She wouldn’t last a month... no offence intended but the Scottish National ladies team would be beaten comfortably by our u14’s.. women’s football is so different in terms of what’s needed to succeed it’s virtually a different sport.. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I would like us to go through the interview process if Robinson is still who they think fits best then fair enough.Lets be honest though just cause Well are third just now they could easily end up 6th or 7th again.They seem highly inconsistent

correct - more than a few we’ll fans on their boards not bothered a jot about Robinson, moaning about his direct physical style until he was forced into changing it.

6 hours ago, DarioHMFC said:

How much is neville on at sky sports?

40 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Absolutely zero chance of it happening in this appointment. None.

The_razors_edge
7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

correct - more than a few we’ll fans on their boards not bothered a jot about Robinson, moaning about his direct physical style until he was forced into changing it.

Indeed. Motherwell fan at my work told me  the improvements only came after he was forced to introduce guys like Turnbull and Campbell every week. If he hadn’t been forced to make that change he says there’s no way he’s still be in his job. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

How much is neville on at sky sports?

Neville was a honking manager was he not? 

Bazzas right boot

Somebody that has worked with Klopp and shared his ethos and approach would great. 

Risky tho. 

Walter Bishop
6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

What's he ever done?

Decent pedigree in England, especially at Leeds, now in charge of Newcastle 23s. What's Robinson, Ross,Etc ever done? 

Its going to be a punt, we have to hope it's the right one, though it's not a hard act to follow. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

Decent pedigree in England, especially at Leeds, now in charge of Newcastle 23s. What's Robinson, Ross,Etc ever done? 

Its going to be a punt, we have to hope it's the right one, though it's not a hard act to follow. 

The act to follow is

Lc sf

SC final

6th

Not hard, but not a given. 

I agree tho, it's who we should be looking at, however I'd be leaning towards a coach with first team experience and who's had relative success tbh, unless a really big name was interested. 

There's no point in finally taking the step of removing Levein and then making another divisive and uninspiring appointment i.e. Pressley, McCann. I want to see us pushing the boat out for a manager with repeated successes on his cv outside Scotland. A marquee appointment, I think someone described it as. I appreciate this could be costly but the club has never been in a better financial position to make this kind of statement of intent. Let's get the fans united and energised again.

Edited by Flimsy

Phil D. Corners

I remember last time we were looking for a manager Steve McClaren was the odds on favourite. Based on this, I’m clutching that we might get a surprise high-level Manager. 

I believe We have an attractive club for managers to join. We have a good squad, good turnover, good stadium, good youth set up, and most importantly owners who want the club to grow and not make money in their pocket.

I feel the club can offer managers a chance to compete in the league, win silverware via cups, and play in Europe.

The only thing we can offer is a huge wage. But a small wage is better than no wage.

I suppose he would be better than what we had, but I'd find the appointment of Robinson rather underwhelming, as I would Pressley, McCann, Ross etc

7 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Is money that big a thing for these guys? They've already made their millions in football. We didn't think we'd get Naismith! Neville has something to prove.

Yet no desire whatsoever to prove it, he’s said multiple times that he only took the Valencia job due to a misplaced ego and it wasn’t a mistake he would ever make again.

4 minutes ago, Boris said:

I suppose he would be better than what we had, but I'd find the appointment of Robinson rather underwhelming, as I would Pressley, McCann, Ross etc

I agree, he's the flavour of the month and that's it. I don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yet no desire whatsoever to prove it, he’s said multiple times that he only took the Valencia job due to a misplaced ego and it wasn’t a mistake he would ever make again.

He does not want a managers job,end of story.