Odds on next manager

DB-14

5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Jack Ross has failed badly at Sunderland despite having the biggest budget in that league.

Actually that’s harsh. Inherited a car crash and was doing ok this season his sacking (based on his stats) was frankly ridiculous.

I’d be very happy with a Jack Ross appointment. . 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Horatio Caine

Haven't read through the whole of this thread but...how the hell is Stuart McCall being quoted in these odds?  He still speaks about Sevco as `we` and `us`.  

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They’re Motherwell mate. What do you expect them to achieve? 

Name one realistic candidate? 

It's the easy appointment, the obvious one. 

Take the on form manager from a smaller club. 

It has been Wright, Archibald, Johnstone, Holt, Hartley etc mentioned in the past. 

It's an appointment we've made 50 times before. 

It might work, might not. 

Imo Likley work for 2 years or so then we'll hit a wall, 4yh, no cup runs, a poor quarter of games etc and we'll be looking again. 

It's the obvious choice from our league but not inspiring imo. 

We have a great opportunity here. 

We should be aiming as high as possible. 

We've thought outside the box before, it failed with Cathro. 

I hope that's no put us off from being brave this time. 

Robinson isn't a bad choice, but it's not inspirational, brave or exciting. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

motherwell under Robinson have never been anything other than average, they have not in any way performed above expectation, he stuck by donkeys like Curtis Main and their fans aren’t bothered their arse if he leaves or not..

Craig Levein got us 2 a final and 2 * semi finals, cup runs mean absolutely **** all.. knocking out Motherwell

on the way

there are countless better candidates. An incredibly unimaginative dull pishy and expensive appointment IMO. 

He took them to 2 finals in one season. How many Hearts managers have done that?

Not saying I'd want him, maybe the best option from our league though.

21 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Where’d you expect him to finish with Motherwell? He’s 3rd just now and got them to two cup finals. That’s pretty decent given their budget. 

Were you happy when JJ was appointed? Because before Hearts he was relegated with Falkirk.

Folk can step up you know. I don’t know who you would want to replace Levein but Robinson is a very realistic option. 

This is Hearts, not Man City, we don’t have the money to pay managers anything over 200-300k a year.

Any appoint we make will have an element of risk attached. We can’t get a top manager. The managers that are available have failed elsewhere and been sacked as a result. The managers that are successful are eyeing up more lucrative moves elsewhere. The reality and the cold hard truth some folk are going to have to accept is that if we’re taking a manager from another club, it’ll be someone who is stepping up, not down.

This (Jesus Christ, twice in one day CT!) 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If there’s loads, name one? 

what a stupid ****ing point. Literally Dozens have been listed by the bookies and by people on these boards. 

What about Gary Holt He’s done better than Robinson with the resources available .. what about Stuart kettlewell, his RC side dominated us entirely at tynecastle .  Or Angelo Alessio, or Maybe even Robbie back or Paul Hartley or McCann

I don’t want any of them, they are completely uninspiring.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

He took them to 2 finals in one season. How many Hearts managers have done that?

Not saying I'd want him, maybe the best option from our league though.

cup runs are luck.. evidence ? = Craig Levein Hearts

13 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

They’re Motherwell mate. What do you expect them to achieve? 

Name one realistic candidate? 

O’Neill, McInnes, Moyes, and a left field candidate, Lee Johnston

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

what a stupid ****ing point. Literally Dozens have been listed by the bookies and by people on these boards. 

What about Gary Holt He’s done better than Robinson with the resources available .. what about Stuart kettlewell, his RC side dominated us entirely at tynecastle .  Or Angelo Alessio, or Maybe even Robbie back or Paul Hartley or McCann

Holt is a front man for Martindale. He does all the coaching and Holt does the interviews. 
id take Robbie back in a heartbeat. Do I think it will happen - not a chance. 

5 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Would take Neil Harris, not long left Millwall, if he'd come.

Great shout. Wears his heart on his sleeve.

14 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

I’ll be distraught if, after finally getting rid of CL, we actively seek out and pay for Stephen Robinson. A totally uninspiring and underwhelming appointment.  

Agreed 

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Neil Harris has been mentioned, I’d like that. 

My preference is Roy Keane though.

Edited by Siphiwe Tshabalala

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Holt is a front man for Martindale. He does all the coaching and Holt does the interviews. 
id take Robbie back in a heartbeat. Do I think it will happen - not a chance. 

I know, the point was - a few on here talk about Stephen Robinson as if he’s done something special to stand out from the crowd. When in reality, he’s don’t absolutely nothing of note at any point in his managerial career.. then they reference 2 cup finals - so what! One win and this levein team would have been to 2 cup finals..

I’d be beyond gutted with Robinson

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

cup runs are luck.. evidence ? = Craig Levein Hearts

Haha well certainly last season for us. 😄 👍

Get the impression that many posters think we have a bigger budget than what is actually available. O'Neill and McInnes are on much higher salaries than Levein was on and there would be large compensation to be paid. Moyes is intriguing but he would have to work on a budget a fraction to which he is accustomed and on bargain basement wages compared to previous jobs. If he was willing to take it on those terms then fair play to him and he would be a good appointment and a tracksuit manager which is what we need. Roy Keane will earn more with Sky then he ever could at Hearts. If you read his second book his management style is hardly progressive by his own admission. 

I can see why we would go for the likes of Robinson and it's a reasonable appointment imo. 

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

O’Neill, McInnes, Moyes, and a left field candidate, Lee Johnston

You think Lee Johnson would leave a team challenging for the Prem to come to us? 🤣

40 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

The bit I found most interesting in that article (yes I know it’s the scum) is where it talks about the heated exchange and the players moaning about CL and the coaches.

May just give us a huge insight into why we are playing so poorly

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

It's the easy appointment, the obvious one. 

Take the on form manager from a smaller club. 

It has been Wright, Archibald, Johnstone, Holt, Hartley etc mentioned in the past. 

It's an appointment we've made 50 times before. 

It might work, might not. 

Imo Likley work for 2 years or so then we'll hit a wall, 4yh, no cup runs, a poor quarter of games etc and we'll be looking again. 

It's the obvious choice from our league but not inspiring imo. 

We have a great opportunity here. 

We should be aiming as high as possible. 

We've thought outside the box before, it failed with Cathro. 

I hope that's no put us off from being brave this time. 

Robinson isn't a bad choice, but it's not inspirational, brave or exciting. 

I agree, It’s not an inspirational choice but it’s a pretty solid choice all things considered.

He’s built two teams at Motherwell on a much smaller budget. He knows the league. He plays on the front foot. He’s blooded youngsters who have moved on to bigger clubs or have attracted serious interest for big money.

The problem is, who else is within our wage range that you could look at and say, stick on success? 

That is the problem for the board, they cannot guarantee that, but they can take an educated punt.

Folk are wanting guys like O’Neill, Hughton, Moyes, those guys wouldn’t answer the phone for £500k a year. Yet folk are turning their noses up at younger managers like Robinson, Ross or even Neilson. That’s where we will be looking.

You could look at managers in the English lower leagues but it’s a different setup down there, they play very differently and there’s guys down there who have won promotions and done badly or gotten relegated at other clubs.

Danny Cowley was probably the most recent coach down there with a pure success rate at every gig he had. Nathan Jones had Luton flying, playing brilliant football but is now toiling at Stoke. There is no other outstanding candidate there at the moment.

They could look at coaches in foreign leagues. Coaches in the Bundesliga 2 or 3 or Scandinavia. Again, that’s an enormous risk. They don’t know the league, they don’t know the culture or possibly even the lingo.

The board could invite applicants. Then they’d have to sift through 300-500 CV’s of utter dross, from managers who have been sacked elsewhere. That process could take 4-6 weeks including interviews.

The reality is that if we are headhunting a candidate, it’s going to be someone who is stepping up a level. 

It’s not going to be someone who has won 10 trophies and league titles because we can’t afford to pay that sort of money.

Whoever the next coach is, they will be meh, great or utter shit to some but they will definitely be someone from a smaller side who is coming here to take on the challenge and prove themselves. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Get the impression that many posters think we have a bigger budget than what is actually available. O'Neill and McInnes are on much higher salaries than Levein was on and there would be large compensation to be paid. Moyes is intriguing but he would have to work on a budget a fraction to which he is accustomed and on bargain basement wages compared to previous jobs. If he was willing to take it on those terms then fair play to him and he would be a good appointment and a tracksuit manager which is what we need. Roy Keane will earn more with Sky then he ever could at Hearts. If you read his second book his management style is hardly progressive by his own admission. 

I can see why we would go for the likes of Robinson and it's a reasonable appointment imo. 

Why would we go for Robinson? What has he done bar a lucky cup run? did he achieve at Oldham? Sacked! , has he achieved in the league with well? Em 7th and 8th so nope! Do they play great football? Certainly not 😆 

so it boils down to a lucky cup run, even thought the manager we are firing has at least an equal cup run

madness

20 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Gary Holt, Stuart Kettlewell or Neil McCann but not Stephen Robinson. :rofl:

Aye sure mate. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Gary Holt, Stuart Kettlewell or Neil McCann but not Stephen Robinson. :rofl:

Aye sure mate. 

I never said I wanted any of them for the job, I pointed out they were as qualified as Stephen Robinson .. 

****ing clueless 

tou said he built 2 teams in his time at Motherwell?!? Aye 2 ****ing distinctly crap teams who leveins hearts got the better of. 

Edited by kingantti1874

I never said I wanted any of them for the job, I pointed out they were as qualified as Stephen Robinson .. 

****ing clueless 

tou said he built 2 teams in his time at Motherwell?!? Aye 2 ****ing distinctly crap teams who leveins hearts got the better of. 

So you’ve still failed to even mention one manager that you’d find remotely acceptable, other than “loads” , while managing to get all hot and bothered at the same time. :laugh:

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I agree, It’s not an inspirational choice but it’s a pretty solid choice all things considered.

He’s built two teams at Motherwell on a much smaller budget. He knows the league. He plays on the front foot. He’s blooded youngsters who have moved on to bigger clubs or have attracted serious interest for big money.

The problem is, who else is within our wage range that you could look at and say, stick on success? 

That is the problem for the board, they cannot guarantee that, but they can take an educated punt.

Folk are wanting guys like O’Neill, Hughton, Moyes, those guys wouldn’t answer the phone for £500k a year. Yet folk are turning their noses up at younger managers like Robinson, Ross or even Neilson. That’s where we will be looking.

You could look at managers in the English lower leagues but it’s a different setup down there, they play very differently and there’s guys down there who have won promotions and done badly or gotten relegated at other clubs.

Danny Cowley was probably the most recent coach down there with a pure success rate at every gig he had. Nathan Jones had Luton flying, playing brilliant football but is now toiling at Stoke. There is no other outstanding candidate there at the moment.

They could look at coaches in foreign leagues. Coaches in the Bundesliga 2 or 3 or Scandinavia. Again, that’s an enormous risk. They don’t know the league, they don’t know the culture or possibly even the lingo.

The board could invite applicants. Then they’d have to sift through 300-500 CV’s of utter dross, from managers who have been sacked elsewhere. That process could take 4-6 weeks including interviews.

The reality is that if we are headhunting a candidate, it’s going to be someone who is stepping up a level. 

It’s not going to be someone who has won 10 trophies and league titles because we can’t afford to pay that sort of money.

Whoever the next coach is, they will be meh, great or utter shit to some but they will definitely be someone from a smaller side who is coming here to take on the challenge and prove themselves. 

All fair 

He's the stand out in our league and the most obvious choice. 

A foreign manager could bring in his own staff but have guys like Locke or kirk about as coaches so the risk of culture etc is mitigated. 

Not a complete team of say  6 random Germans turning up as the coaching team, massive risk. 

I'd like this, but I have no names at hand. 

Big names like Moyes stand out, more so imo as they are already loaded and may want a gig for Purley football reasons. 

He's also Scottish. 

A big name - Purley after cash, no chance I agree. 

Being pretty captive to the English and Scottish markets the mind does go to Robinson, but I'd like something different. 

The  Scottish guy from the swiss/ Swedish league, the Dundalk manager, even David Robertson in India. 

Don't know what happened to them tho. 

I remember these guys being mentioned last year. 

Out the box, break the mould. 

Maybe I'm asking for too much. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

It better not be someone from the gang. It simply has to be an outsider.

Shelley Kerr for me, would be a complete break from the 'boys' gang.  It would also show how progressive we are as a club in embracing the women's game.  It would probably encourage even more women to start coming to the games, which can't be a bad thing.

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, TheGoodLord said:

It’s a concern that so many seem to want a “name” over a proven track record. 

Surley in most cases the track record made the name? 

Placid Casual
49 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Stephen Robinson= sacked by Oldham 😂 

fans welcoming this must be smoking crack .. 

Crack smokers also liking Jack Ross too.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, RobNox said:

Shelley Kerr for me, would be a complete break from the 'boys' gang.  It would also show how progressive we are as a club in embracing the women's game.  It would probably encourage even more women to start coming to the games, which can't be a bad thing.

Don't do it. 

Ffs. 😂😂😂

👍

The biggest problem with our support is that a good number of us have these illusions of grandeur. Pure and simple, we couldn’t afford some of the names being touted for the gig. That, unfortunately, is a fact that we cannot shy away from.

The board are now in a position where the last two appointments have been a failure. Do we look abroad and try find a gem in the Spanish/German/French lower leagues? We could, but it is a MASSIVE risk that could very quickly go south. Do we try pick someone from lower league in England? Just look at Hibs for an example of how that can turn out.

Right now we desperately need someone with knowledge of the Scottish premiership. We are second bottom of the league and really can’t afford to be taking a chance on some unknown character from the continent.

Stephen Robinson, while not an ‘inspiring’ appointment, would be a solid appointment for where we are and what we require. He knows the game, has done fairly well with a Motherwell team who probably have about half the budget we do. He’s not going to set us up to dig in and try sneak a goal and is most definitely not afraid to have a go at the old firm. We could do far worse IMHO.

Who else, realistically, would people suggest?

Why would we go for Robinson? What has he done bar a lucky cup run? did he achieve at Oldham? Sacked! , has he achieved in the league with well? Em 7th and 8th so nope! Do they play great football? Certainly not 😆 

so it boils down to a lucky cup run, even thought the manager we are firing has at least an equal cup run

madness

Really not a balanced synopsis is it. Leaving the cup finals out of the discussion he is out performing their budget in the league, has rebuilt after losing important players and has shown a willingness to bring through young players. These are strong credentials if you are looking for a decent value appointment as a chief executive and conceivably lower risk than appointing a bigger name on more money that hasn't managed in the league. I understand you are not keen on him but a measured consideration of his performance at Motherwell can be viewed very positively. Oldham are a bombscare of a club and I wouldn't make any judgements based on performance there about any manager. 

57 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Wonder where the sun got wind of the angry words in the dressing room after last nights game, I wonder if the players have had enough also.

Could they have made it up, possibly?

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Roy Keane talks pish. 

Even as a pundit he's a slavering goon. 

Poor man's Souness. 

I'd take Chris ****ing Sutton over Keane if going that way. 

Placid Casual
5 minutes ago, RobNox said:

You’re at it mate. Or totally ******* clueless.

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

All fair 

He's the stand out in our league and the most obvious choice. 

A foreign manager could bring in his own staff but have guys like Locke or kirk about as coaches so the risk of culture etc is mitigated. 

Not a complete team of say  6 random Germans turning up as the coaching team, massive risk. 

I'd like this, but I have no names at hand. 

Big names like Moyes stand out, more so imo as they are already loaded and may want a gig for Purley football reasons. 

He's also Scottish. 

A big name - Purley after cash, no chance I agree. 

Being pretty captive to the English and Scottish markets the mind does go to Robinson, but I'd like something different. 

The  Scottish guy from the swiss/ Swedish league, the Dundalk manager, even David Robertson in India. 

Don't know what happened to them tho. 

I remember these guys being mentioned last year. 

Out the box, break the mould. 

Maybe I'm asking for too much. 

See if we were sitting mid-table, safely away from a relegation fight then I’d agree with you. We’re second bottom, on goal difference, though and can’t afford to be taking these chances at this minute in time. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

So you’ve still failed to even mention one manager that you’d find remotely acceptable, other than “loads” , while managing to get all hot and bothered at the same time. :laugh:

Why do you think im hot and bothered ? Because I’ve pointed out to you that Robinson has done nothing to warrant this job? Despite your lengthy posts you’ve done nothing to explain why Robinson would be a good appointment bar reference a lucky cup run, state that he built 2 teams (which were distinctly average), and state he brought through young players.. (which has **** all to do with Robinson and everything to do with morherwell very well established youth setup)

We will get hundreds of applications.. maybe we should just find the best candidate instead of making a lazy choice paying a fee for a guy who has achieved absolutely Nothing. if Killie can appoint Juve assistant manager or Steve Clark we can find better than a guy who highlights are.. well he has no highlights - that’s the point!

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Jodami said:

Really not a balanced synopsis is it. Leaving the cup finals out of the discussion he is out performing their budget in the league, has rebuilt after losing important players and has shown a willingness to bring through young players. These are strong credentials if you are looking for a decent value appointment as a chief executive and conceivably lower risk than appointing a bigger name on more money that hasn't managed in the league. I understand you are not keen on him but a measured consideration of his performance at Motherwell can be viewed very positively. Oldham are a bombscare of a club and I wouldn't make any judgements based on performance there about any manager. 

His final positions in the league are really not below or above expectations tbh. 

Taking a manager on the last 10 games isn't great imo. 

Very short term. 

The other parts make sense. 

31 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Roy Keane will make more in year with Sky that he would in a decade at Hearts. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

See if we were sitting mid-table, safely away from a relegation fight then I’d agree with you. We’re second bottom, on goal difference, though and can’t afford to be taking these chances at this minute in time. 

I don't buy that at all. 

We're also a few wins from 5th with lots of injured players to come back. 

Even if we were mid table now, we'd only be a few points of bottom so your logic is flawed, severely. 

You can't allow say 3-6 points of a difference with 27 games left influence your decision. 

To say you'd make a different decision if say 5 points better off and in 6th, to what you would now is crazy. 

That shouldnt be an influence, never mind a deciding factor in who we appoint. 

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Jodami said:

sorry finishing 7th and then 8th with mothwell is par at best.. I’m sure they be hoping for better.

someone else suggested he’s the standout manager in our league! 😂An absolutely ridiculous suggestion based on nothing.  

Edited by kingantti1874

A_A wehatethehibs

Moyes is the standout available manager - by a country mile. We should throw the kitchen sink trying to get him in. If there is any possibility, that would be the ideal appointment which this football club needs. 

3 minutes ago, Placid Casual said:

You’re at it mate. Or totally ******* clueless.

Right first time!  Smith's Right Boot sussed me out right away.

If you are familiar with the views of the OP I was responding to, you would realise that in keeping with the season, I was lighting the touch paper, standing back and waiting for some fireworks to ensue. 🚀

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't buy that at all. 

We're also a few wins from 5th with lots of injured players to come back. 

Even if we were mid table now, we'd only be a few points of bottom so your logic is flawed, severely. 

You can't allow say 3-6 points of a difference with 27 games left influence your decision. 

To say you'd make a different decision if say 5 points better off and in 5th, to what you would now is crazy. 

That shouldnt be an influence, never mind a deciding factor in who we appoint. 

I didn’t necessarily mean sitting mid-table with the league as it is now, hence why I added ‘safely’

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

I didn’t necessarily mean sitting mid-table with the league as it is now, hence why I added ‘safely’

Tbf, no one is safe atm. 

I get what you mean, but I can't agree with you. 

Robinson is fine by me BTW, I just think we have a chance to really send out a positive statement and show our intent. 

Obviously if we were second bottom with a handful of games left I'd agree. 

That's not the case..... And it won't be. 😕 Honestly... 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbf, no one is safe atm. 

I get what you mean, but I can't agree with you. 

Robinson is fine by me BTW, I just think we have a chance to really send out a positive statement and show our intent. 

We had that chance when we appointed Cathro and it failed. Another appointment that works out like that and we will be relegated. I don’t think we should be taking that chance. 

Placid Casual
5 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Right first time!  Smith's Right Boot sussed me out right away.

If you are familiar with the views of the OP I was responding to, you would realise that in keeping with the season, I was lighting the touch paper, standing back and waiting for some fireworks to ensue. 🚀

Ah, I see, sorry Rob. Easy mistake to make on here.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, DarioHMFC said:

We had that chance when we appointed Cathro and it failed. Another appointment that works out like that and we will be relegated. I don’t think we should be taking that chance. 

I wouldn't employ another Cathro either. 

But I don't want that experience to put us of being brave. 

It would need to be an experienced manager or a highly experienced player. 

I think that will be the criteria, we can look at other leagues tho for that. 

Cathro was neither.