Odds on next manager

DB-14

1 hour ago, londonjambo said:

Who is the ex-Manchester City boss that the Evening News are teasing us with ? Sorry if its been mentioned already 

GC

What did the evening news say?is there a link?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

tin hat on here.. Austin seems to know what the fans want And we executed it well on saturday

.. if we are getting someone with pedigree fair enough..

but if we are targeting someone like Robinson or  Ross? Why wouldn’t Austin be in with a shout..

Austin may well do a good job.

He does have a lot of experience as a player in America, Brazil & Japan.

As a manager at Cupar Hearts, he won them a trophy in his first season.  

His record as caretaker at Hearts is good. I think he’s won 4 out of 5. 

He was an analyst with Mexico at the 2014 WC. 

He has been an assistant at Cowdenbeath & St.Mirren where they beat us to win the League Cup.  

Assistant with N.Ireland over various qualifiers and in tournaments.

No one can say he has no background or experience. He’s done all that and is still young.

He’s also part of the old regime however who have given us 3 years of utter drivel. He was part of the training, analysis, tactics everyday etc... That is the big blot on his CV at the moment. 

If he knew what was being implemented was wrong, why did he not step up and speak his mind, he’s not exactly backwards in coming forwards is he? 

Of course, it might have been the case where he knew his place and kept his trap shut and only offered his opinion when asked, we really don’t know. 

If truth be told I wouldn’t be entirely against it. I’m sort of curious to see what he can do. He desperately wants the job, without a doubt and he’s definitely someone who studies different ways of playing.

It’s sort of come at a bad time for him though because he’s only 2 or 3 games to prove himself which isn’t exactly as fair crack at it. 

Very much in two minds about MacPhee tbh but as you say, Robinson and Jack only got where they are because someone took a chance and gave them a shot, maybe we should give him his chance. 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

It's not?

100% not. I would accept getting an absolute tanking against Killie if we used the extra time to appoint the best manager for the job rather than our biggest criteria being get a body in place within a week purely to have a new manager for that game.  

2 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Believing Evening news theories? Come on people, thought you were better than that 

What did they say?

1 hour ago, londonjambo said:

Who is the ex-Manchester City boss that the Evening News are teasing us with ? Sorry if its been mentioned already 

GC

Sven Goran Eriksson

Edited by R1874

8 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

What's your thinking here ? You do know he won the Dutch league against the traditional giants with a club that has a much smaller budget ? 

Or would you rather have Neil McCann or Austin ?

I’d definitely have Austin over Schteve.

Much smaller budget, not that much smaller. They had a squad of Internationals and some cracking players tbf.

McLarens yesterday’s man. 

Honestly I struggle with the notion that a manager who has failed most of the places they managed (Keane, Hughes et al) would be better received than McPhee, who has never managed but has been very well regarded by his former clubs and the players hes coached. I do not see the logic.

McPhee was working to Leveins plan. Leave him to his own plan and then judge him.

I'd rather not have him in charge but him Vs Hughes?! How anyone can want Hughes baffles me.

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I always think the best managerial appointments come when you have a very clear idea of what And who you want.  We can’t afford to wait months imo - get the new man in, let him assess the squad so that if he wants to make changes he can do so in January 

All managerial appointments are a risk that what you believe is what you want is actually delivered by the person you identify. Could argue a bigger risk for Hearts as we do not have the most football experienced Board. 
Being able to see how they work in the League with the players at their disposal may reduce that risk. I wouldn’t rule out a candidate by association too quickly. This is not an endorsement for McPhee but I would be happy to give him a bit longer to see if he can deliver, rather than just write him off. Particularly, as his Performance at week-end ticked a number of boxes. 

7 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

Honestly I struggle with the notion that a manager who has failed most of the places they managed (Keane, Hughes et al) would be better received than McPhee, who has never managed but has been very well regarded by his former clubs and the players hes coached. I do not see the logic.

McPhee was working to Leveins plan. Leave him to his own plan and then judge him.

I'd rather not have him in charge but him Vs Hughes?! How anyone can want Hughes baffles me.

Is that Mark, Aaron, Yogi or all three? 

7 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’d definitely have Austin over Schteve.

Much smaller budget, not that much smaller. They had a squad of Internationals and some cracking players tbf.

McLarens yesterday’s man. 

Much smaller is fair IMO. Twente might have a 30k stadium but Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord have the hearts and minds of most in holland and operate on a different financial level.

They did have some cracking players but to be fair Steve signed some of them, it wasn't all from someone else's work. Having said that AZ's triumph the previous year was a bigger achievement IMO, a much smaller support and based in Noord Holland where the majority outside Alkmaar support Ajax, even in nearby towns like Hoorn.

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Is that Mark, Aaron, Yogi or all three? 

I'd rather have Aaron then Mark every day of the week. 

Yogi is a hubs ****

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Much smaller is fair IMO. Twente might have a 30k stadium but Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord have the hearts and minds of most in holland and operate on a different financial level.

They did have some cracking players but to be fair Steve signed some of them, it wasn't all from someone else's work. Having said that AZ's triumph the previous year was a bigger achievement IMO, a much smaller support and based in Noord Holland where the majority outside Alkmaar support Ajax, even in nearby towns like Hoorn.

Agree. He got lucky though. The likes of Ajax, PSV & Feyenoord go through periods where they win nothing because they are bringing through a new batch of youth players. Twente had massive experience and it came at the right time for them.

McLaren’s had many more failures than success however. Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.

Howdy Doody Jambo
2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

What dithering about is this? We were told the timescales for getting applications in was last Friday, and that interviews would be held this week, I honestly don't see what dithering has been done. 

Interviews? You identify you're number 1 target and offer him the job. 

So now we have to process loads of applications and hold several meetings so we can hum over and haw over and another 2 weeks later will then give it to Austin till the end of the season 

35 minutes ago, Sid said:

100% not. I would accept getting an absolute tanking against Killie if we used the extra time to appoint the best manager for the job rather than our biggest criteria being get a body in place within a week purely to have a new manager for that game.  

We're 3 points off the bottom of the table, I'd suggest it's quite urgent we get a manager in post ASAP. We took ages last time, did that result in the best manager for the job?

By the Killie game we'll have had over 3 weeks to appoint someone including 2 weeks of an international break. That doesn't strike me as rushing it.

8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree. He got lucky though. The likes of Ajax, PSV & Feyenoord go through periods where they win nothing because they are bringing through a new batch of youth players. Twente had massive experience and it came at the right time for them.

McLaren’s had many more failures than success however. Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.

So we're agreed - let's get van Gaal

The Old Tolbooth
17 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Interviews? You identify you're number 1 target and offer him the job. 

So now we have to process loads of applications and hold several meetings so we can hum over and haw over and another 2 weeks later will then give it to Austin till the end of the season 

I get where you're coming from, and I'm praying that she's learned her lesson. 

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

I've got myself ready for McPhee as sporting director and McCann as manager....saves any disappointment when they get reveled. 

Is that an exclusive AJ

manaliveits105

Each applicant should be asked if they have applied for hubz job - if the answer is yes throw their file in the bin as they lack ambition and judgement 

Hampden Demolition

We would have no squad left if Magath got the job 😂. Let’s just say our chicken hearted players wouldn’t last long with his training methods.

Felix magath now thrown interest into the mix apparently. Now that's certainly a manager with some pedigree.

Being a Schalke fan though not sure I could bring myself to cheer on anyone who was associated with Bayern 😂

Hampden Demolition
2 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

Felix magath now thrown interest into the mix apparently. Now that's certainly a manager with some pedigree.

Being a Schalke fan though not sure I could bring myself to cheer on anyone who was associated with Bayern 😂

He was decent at Schalke too was he not?

24 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Most of the names, regarding the odds, on the Evening News list are a joke.

Let’s hope the EN aren’t in the know.

They published that Steve McLaren won the Eredivisie with AZ, they know **** all

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

So we're agreed - let's get van Gaal

Imagine we did! The fans would love him. 

Managed 888 games, lost 173, dunno if that would cut the mustard with our support. 

Felix Magath would be a disaster.

Great player in his day mind, he played against Hearts for Hamburg. Must have enjoyed the experience. 

He’s a total fruitcake.

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Great player in his day mind, he played against Hearts for Hamburg. Must have enjoyed the experience. 

He’s a total fruitcake.

He also managed Wolfsburg to the Bundesliga title.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

It would be an incredible appointment when you look at the teams he's managed in the past 

His time at Fulham was a disaster.  

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It would be an incredible appointment when you look at the teams he's managed in the past 

I've got friends who live in Wolfsburg. I'll ask them what they thought of him. Season Ticket holders, so they will have a clue.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

His fruitcake techniques might work in Germany. He’s an Eddy Malofeev. 

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I've got friends who live in Wolfsburg. I'll ask them what they thought of him. Season Ticket holders, so they will have a clue.

I wouldn't be so sure going by the season ticket holders in our support! 

Hampden Demolition
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

As both manager and DOF no less 👀.

10 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

He was decent at Schalke too was he not?

Yeah he was alright with Schalke over his two seasons to be fair, had a decent winning record. 

Thumb Up Emoji
5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He’s a total fruitcake.

Goodness me, it's well documented this story was spun out of control.

Get real. He'd be an incredible appointment. 

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

His fruitcake techniques might work in Germany. He’s an Eddy Malofeev. 

There's also the fact that I think Wolfsburg threw barrels of cash at their title tilt, but I wouldn't be playing down beating Bayern Munich to the title tbh. think they also did very well in the Champion's League under him too did they not?

1 minute ago, AndyNic said:

I wouldn't be so sure going by the season ticket holders in our support! 

Fair comment.

6 minutes ago, Paolo said:

His time at Fulham was a disaster.  

Back to back doubles at Bayern, league title at Wolfsburg, Intertoto with Stuttgart, his record is much better than what we would normally expect.

Just now, Thumb Up Emoji said:

Goodness me, it's well documented this story was spun out of control.

Get real. He'd be an incredible appointment. 

See past the name ffs. Every player thats worked under him has absolutely hated him. The stories are too numerous to mention. The man would not fit in at Hearts, he’d be an absolute catastrophe. His methods are outdated.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Back to back doubles at Bayern, league title at Wolfsburg, Intertoto with Stuttgart, his record is much better than what we would normally expect.

Tbh we’ve probably never had a manager in our history with as good a CV as his on paper.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

See past the name ffs. Every player thats worked under him has absolutely hated him. The stories are too numerous to mention. The man would not fit in at Hearts, he’d be an absolute catastrophe. His methods are outdated.

Are you aware how ageist you are?