Odds on next manager

DB-14

18 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Aye just wait, in fact give it a couple of years who knows we might be in the 1st division with a derby coming up against newly promoted Edinburgh City.

Take away Berra’s “dummy” and Dikamona’s error at the other, and I would be very happy watching that every week. Clearly, St Mirren are poor and we had attacking firepower back but the size of the improvement for me was enough to not rule him out. If he can deliver that regularly, I would prefer to appoint a coach who had demonstrated success. Every other appointment is a risk. If he doesn’t deliver. He’s gone. Worth taking a little bit longerv

19 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Aye just wait, in fact give it a couple of years who knows we might be in the 1st division with a derby coming up against newly promoted Edinburgh City.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

What the odds on hearing something this week? The shortlist of candidates at least?

Should be looking to appoint someone surely.. give them the chance to get feet under table before next fixture . Unless he already has feet under said table 😬

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Should be looking to appoint someone surely.. give them the chance to get feet under table before next fixture . Unless he already has feet under said table 😬

:facepalm: Please god no!!!

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we have spent the last few years regretting Manager Appointments. We have a caretaker who has stopped the rot In the League  (admittedly against a crap team but we would not have scored 5 previously). Take ouR time and get it right. 
shortlist can only be declared if all candidates unemployed or their club happy to reveal discussions happening. 
We are all desperate to hear more and get it done but I’d prefer we go about it professionally behind closed doors. Then appoint a great manager. The fact we don’t have a game this week gives us a bit more time to decide. Getting a manager in place to prep for the Killie game is not a priority. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Sid said:

we have spent the last few years regretting Manager Appointments. We have a caretaker who has stopped the rot In the League  (admittedly against a crap team but we would not have scored 5 previously). Take ouR time and get it right. 
shortlist can only be declared if all candidates unemployed or their club happy to reveal discussions happening. 
We are all desperate to hear more and get it done but I’d prefer we go about it professionally behind closed doors. Then appoint a great manager. The fact we don’t have a game this week gives us a bit more time to decide. Getting a manager in place to prep for the Killie game is not a priority. 

I always think the best managerial appointments come when you have a very clear idea of what And who you want.  We can’t afford to wait months imo - get the new man in, let him assess the squad so that if he wants to make changes he can do so in January 

38 minutes ago, Sid said:

It's not?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The application on Saturday was better. Much better,  but then 2 major factors. 

Steven Naismith the player and Steven Naismith the leader. 

If that remains consistent we have a chance to take a little longer. If by some miracle all is ironed out by Kilmarnock fine. 

If not MacPhee has shown he is ok in crisis management both last year and this. He understood the need for a radical change in approach,  he didn't play safe. But it is a free hit,  he does lack the experience I'd be expecting,  not advocating he is given more time than is reasonable. 

Unlike other people,  I don't think he is responsible. Two headstrong people before him don't make him complicit for me.

Intelligent enough to undertake the crisis management role,  I believe from what I have heard he has good knowledge of the game. Coaching experienced and egotistical people is another thing,  see Cathro. 

I would have no problem with him taking this Director of football role,  so long as the incoming manager is going to tie in with him. 

But that's potentially the stumbling block for Austin to take that position, for those less keen on his time with us. The profile could be awkward,  pretty sure his pressers last week were eluding to it.

Interesting to see who she plumps for as Sporting Director. Impossible until we have that name to make any judgement on what type of character a manager might be. 

Important therefore we do get the right people whilst not letting the grass grow 

I can see the board making a dugs dinner of this. They give Austin a chance to prove himself and then inevitably take so long that they miss out on targets, conveniently giving  themselves no other option than to appoint Austin as manager until the summer. 

If it were to happen, fair enough, I’d get behind him but I don’t think it would appease many who were virtually promised a manager with experience and a reputation.

I apologise for appearing cynical but I have little faith in this board to do things with conviction these days.

Maroon Sailor

Anybody who lumped something on MacPhee at 8/1 must be feeling confident

Caretaker and interim managers completing at least 10 competitive games will be deemed the permanent manager

Howdy Doody Jambo

This dithering about happened the last time when we ended up appointing Levein the same is going to happen again Austin swapping jobs with CL and will end up in the hotseat

Crazy 

kingantti1874
33 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Why considering all the rumours is Naismith not quoted?

I think he wants to concentrate on playing for a couple of years at least.. I do believe in 3/4 years he will be the man.. he really knows how to get those around him playing, he’s intelligent and articulate.. 

Just now, londonjambo said:

Who is the ex-Manchester City boss that the Evening News are teasing us with ? Sorry if its been mentioned already 

GC

Mark Hughes I'd think.

The Old Tolbooth
12 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

This dithering about happened the last time when we ended up appointing Levein the same is going to happen again Austin swapping jobs with CL and will end up in the hotseat

Crazy 

What dithering about is this? We were told the timescales for getting applications in was last Friday, and that interviews would be held this week, I honestly don't see what dithering has been done. 

North Berwick Jambo
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Mark Hughes I'd think.

What about Brian McClair as sporting director & Mark Hughes as manager? I assume they were at Man Utd together at some point. Surely better than most of the suggestions on the bookies list or on here 😉

Just now, North Berwick Jambo said:

What about Brian McClair as sporting director & Mark Hughes as manager? I assume they were at Man Utd together at some point. Surely better than most of the suggestions on the bookies list or on here 😉

Tbh it sounds good enough but English football mostly passes me by. Don't know enough about Hughes as a manager to have much of an opinion on him.

Would think McClair would know his stuff having been in charge of the academy at united.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

We won't pay Hughes a wage. We'll just agree his compensation package ahead of time and pay him upfront.

Saves on pissing about later on. He likes compo.

What about Foggy Clegg and Nora? 

I wonder how the players would feel having a manager like Mark Hughes who still has more technical ability than our whole squad put together. 

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I wonder how the players would feel having a manager like Mark Hughes who still has more technical ability than our whole squad put together. 

Presumably the opposite of how they felt when we had Cathro.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

What the odds on hearing something this week? The shortlist of candidates at least?

After the interviews Ann will announce the candidate has been here all the time. 

McPhee. 

:vrface:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hughes has some remarkable failure stats. Win percentage is awful and especially so in the last 10 years 

21 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

ITK ?

Second hand info but came from former player in Directors Box on Saturday.  His name cropped up.  (Wotte) and another already mentioned here. 

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

As per last time, McLaren would ace it up here. And he’d do a great Scottish accent.

:rofl:

If Schteve McLaren gets the job, Ann needs put into a home ffs.

kingantti1874

tin hat on here.. Austin seems to know what the fans want And we executed it well on saturday

.. if we are getting someone with pedigree fair enough..

but if we are targeting someone like Robinson or  Ross? Why wouldn’t Austin be in with a shout..

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

tin hat on here.. Austin seems to know what the fans want And we executed it well on saturday

but if we are targeting someone like Robinson or  Ross? Why wouldn’t Austin be in with a shout..

Its crisis management. 

Should never base longevity on crisis management. He represents risk, no proven record leading a squad 

22 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

20191111_131032.jpg

He did win the eredivisie, but with Twente Eschende, AZ won it the year before under van Gaal.

Even if it was removed what a crock of shit that paper is these days.

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Its a tricky one but if he does get it then should be until end of season. Team on Saturday was a total contrast to the cup game.

Were clare and Wighton injured?

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He did win the eredivisie, but with Twente Eschende, AZ won it the year before under van Gaal.

Even if it was removed what a crock of shit that paper is these days.

Haha it's been amended... Still says he won the league with AZ though 😂

1 minute ago, AndyNic said:

Haha it's been amended... Still says he won the league with AZ though 😂

That was because they failed to understand his instructions....

Tennant's  6's
7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

He mentioned 'tough love' in his press conference. 

Shape up, or ship out 

You can be sure over the next few days new names will appear on the list and we can all discuss how good or shite they are. But until the SD is appointed I can't see an actual managerial appointment being made (unless an exceptional candidate has applied) and the SD may well bring their own list with them - I reckon we're 3 games more under MacPhee before the new man is in place.

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Its a tricky one but if he does get it then should be until end of season. Team on Saturday was a total contrast to the cup game.

No.. 

kingantti1874
23 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its crisis management. 

Should never base longevity on crisis management. He represents risk, no proven record leading a squad 

Agree, being honest though, in the case of Robinson  I don’t think taking Motherwell to 7th and 8th makes him any more qualified than Austin.. 

I’d love to see us take the game to killie away from home, you’ll get a lot of credibility going out trying to win week in week out

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

He mentioned 'tough love' in his press conference. 

Shape up, or ship out 

much much improved without Clare 

38 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:rofl:

If Schteve McLaren gets the job, Ann needs put into a home ffs.

What's your thinking here ? You do know he won the Dutch league against the traditional giants with a club that has a much smaller budget ? 

Or would you rather have Neil McCann or Austin ?

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, londonjambo said:

Who is the ex-Manchester City boss that the Evening News are teasing us with ? Sorry if its been mentioned already 

GC

Pellegrini will be getting his books soon from the Hammers :whistling: