General Election 2019

Shanks said no

Gove helpfully allowed us to understand the definition of "we'll build 40 new hospitals".     Apparently they have a piece of paper that says "hospitals (quantity 40)".     

I could make out a purchase order in the work for:

My own diamond mine.

A South Pacific island archipelago.

The solar system.

All the models in Victoria's Secret.

A 20 goal a season Hearts striker.

Then I'll call it a manifesto pledge.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The Scandinavians might want a word with you. ;)

Remember watching some programme, a travel show or suchlike, a while back and it was interesting as the Brit seemed stunned at the Income Tax rates while the Swedish couple seemed confused by his incredulity. To them it was perfectly normal to pay tax at those levels and reap the benefits of that. Not just them of course, everyone.

The full transcript of Andrew Neil's smackdown to BoJo the Clown:

"There is of course still one to be done - Boris Johnson, the prime minister.

We have been asking him for weeks now to give us a date, a time, a venue. As of now, none has been forthcoming.

No broadcaster can compel a politician to be interviewed. But leaders’ interviews have been a key part of the BBC’s prime-time election coverage for decades.

We do them on your behalf to scrutinise and hold to account those who would govern us. That is democracy.

We’ve always proceeded in good faith that the leaders would participate. And in every election they have. All of them. Until this one.

It is not too late. We have interview prepared. Oven-ready, as Mr Johnson likes to say.

The theme running through our questions is trust, and why at so many times in his career, in politics and journalism, critics and sometimes even those close to him have deemed him to be untrustworthy.

It is of course relevant to what he is promising us all now.

Can he be trusted to deliver 50,000 more nurses? When almost 20,000 in his numbers are already working for the NHS.

He promises 40 new hospitals. But only six are scheduled to be built by 2025.

Can he be believed when he claims another 34 will be built in the five years after that?

Can he be trusted to fund the NHS properly, when he used a cash figure of an extra £34bn?

After inflation, the additional money promised amounts to £20bn.

He vows that the NHS will not be on the table with any trade talks with America. But he vowed to the DUP, his unionist allies in Northern Ireland, that there would never be a border down the Irish Sea.

That is as important to the DUP as the NHS is to the rest of us. It is a vow his Brexit deal would seem to break.

And we would want to know why an opponent of austerity would bake so much of it into their future spending plans.

We would ask why, as with the proposed increase in police numbers, so many of his promises only take us back to the future, back to where we were before austerity began.

Social care is an issue of growing concern. On the steps of Downing Street in July he said he’d prepared a plan for social care. We’d ask him why that plan is not in his manifesto.

Questions of trust. Questions we’d like to put to Mr Johnson so you can hear his replies. But we can’t, because he won’t sit down with us.

There is no law, no supreme court ruling, that can force Mr Johnson to participate in a BBC leaders’ interview. But the prime minister of our nation will, at times, have to stand up to President Trump, President Putin, President Xi of China.

So it was surely not expecting too much that he spend half an hour standing up to me.”

:greggy:

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

The full transcript of Andrew Neil's smackdown to BoJo the Clown:

"There is of course still one to be done - Boris Johnson, the prime minister.

We have been asking him for weeks now to give us a date, a time, a venue. As of now, none has been forthcoming.

No broadcaster can compel a politician to be interviewed. But leaders’ interviews have been a key part of the BBC’s prime-time election coverage for decades.

We do them on your behalf to scrutinise and hold to account those who would govern us. That is democracy.

We’ve always proceeded in good faith that the leaders would participate. And in every election they have. All of them. Until this one.

It is not too late. We have interview prepared. Oven-ready, as Mr Johnson likes to say.

The theme running through our questions is trust, and why at so many times in his career, in politics and journalism, critics and sometimes even those close to him have deemed him to be untrustworthy.

It is of course relevant to what he is promising us all now.

Can he be trusted to deliver 50,000 more nurses? When almost 20,000 in his numbers are already working for the NHS.

He promises 40 new hospitals. But only six are scheduled to be built by 2025.

Can he be believed when he claims another 34 will be built in the five years after that?

Can he be trusted to fund the NHS properly, when he used a cash figure of an extra £34bn?

After inflation, the additional money promised amounts to £20bn.

He vows that the NHS will not be on the table with any trade talks with America. But he vowed to the DUP, his unionist allies in Northern Ireland, that there would never be a border down the Irish Sea.

That is as important to the DUP as the NHS is to the rest of us. It is a vow his Brexit deal would seem to break.

And we would want to know why an opponent of austerity would bake so much of it into their future spending plans.

We would ask why, as with the proposed increase in police numbers, so many of his promises only take us back to the future, back to where we were before austerity began.

Social care is an issue of growing concern. On the steps of Downing Street in July he said he’d prepared a plan for social care. We’d ask him why that plan is not in his manifesto.

Questions of trust. Questions we’d like to put to Mr Johnson so you can hear his replies. But we can’t, because he won’t sit down with us.

There is no law, no supreme court ruling, that can force Mr Johnson to participate in a BBC leaders’ interview. But the prime minister of our nation will, at times, have to stand up to President Trump, President Putin, President Xi of China.

So it was surely not expecting too much that he spend half an hour standing up to me.”

:greggy:

Wont make a blind bit of difference to most people planning to vote Tory.     They'll probably see it as justifiable to avoid the interview.    Just Johnson being Johnson.     The down to earth cult hero / racist / sociopathic slob.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

and if the c%%% vote i hope they slip on the ice after they do :) 

It would be too late. 

I don't care how they go, as long as the don't get out the house on the 12th. 

Just a Tory being a Tory, suggesting people with learning difficulties should be paid less than minimum wage and be happy about working.

12 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

None of these debates or interviews matter.

Nothing that happens on broadcast TV will affect the outcome.

The latter is probably true in its own fashion - I don't think there are many swing voters in this election due to the Brexit issue.

However, the first? You don't think that having the party leaders (or representatives) openly discussing and arguing their viewpoints and party policies matters? Despite its various adverse qualities, we're lucky to be living in an age when such openness brings us closer to politics and also allows almost real-time fact-checking of the various parties' and representatives' claims.

55 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latter is probably true in its own fashion - I don't think there are many swing voters in this election due to the Brexit issue.

However, the first? You don't think that having the party leaders (or representatives) openly discussing and arguing their viewpoints and party policies matters? Despite its various adverse qualities, we're lucky to be living in an age when such openness brings us closer to politics and also allows almost real-time fact-checking of the various parties' and representatives' claims.

I'd say the danger to the tories isn't so much swing voters as those who don't normally vote. There are a LOT of them, and history shows us they tend not to be tories.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'd say the danger to the tories isn't so much swing voters as those who don't normally vote. There are a LOT of them, and history shows us they tend not to be tories.

That may well be so, Smithee, and I hope it turns out that way. Anyway, no matter what I think the result will be, I'll be there doing an all-nighter in front of the TV with a bottle of wine watching the results come in. I haven't done that for a few elections, but this one *could* be quite interesting, especially if tactical voting puts pressure on the Tories in the marginals.

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That may well be so, Smithee, and I hope it turns out that way. Anyway, no matter what I think the result will be, I'll be there doing an all-nighter in front of the TV with a bottle of wine watching the results come in. I haven't done that for a few elections, but this one *could* be quite interesting, especially if tactical voting puts pressure on the Tories in the marginals.

You never know, I have low expectations but high hopes. 

Boris: "I’m in favour of having people of colour come to this country but I think we should have it democratically controlled."

Not a racist but

11 minutes ago, Cade said:

Boris: "I’m in favour of having people of colour come to this country but I think we should have it democratically controlled."

Not a racist but

Turns out this was a misquote

:liesalarm:

39 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

People of talent*

Woeful stuff from Channel 4 :jj_facepalm:

How can they have misheard colour for talent, they're not even close.

That'll help mend the rift between the Tories & Ch4.

Mind there'll still be lots of folks on social media falling over themselves to peddle the wrong tweet as fact.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Just a Tory being a Tory, suggesting people with learning difficulties should be paid less than minimum wage and be happy about working.

“learning difficulties” ‘Kin ‘Ell.
If she can’t even get that right what hope does she have? :lol:

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Vile horrible disgusting party. It attracts exactly that type of person and voter.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

How can they have misheard colour for talent, they're not even close.

That'll help mend the rift between the Tories & Ch4.

Mind there'll still be lots of folks on social media falling over themselves to peddle the wrong tweet as fact.

Heard that Ch4 is in fact government owned but gets a “free run” as long as it can turn a profit from advertising and selling programmes abroad etc. (Not a burden but a benefit to the public purse).

Tories threatening to “take a look” at their broadcasting licence. Aye right then, they will pull a company that turns over hundreds of millions because of a lump of melting ice!

Cretins.

There seem to have been a lot of lies. Maybe there have always been. But it does seem the public isn't so bothered because people expect politicians to lie. 

11 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Heard that Ch4 is in fact government owned but gets a “free run” as long as it can turn a profit from advertising and selling programmes abroad etc. (Not a burden but a benefit to the public purse).

Tories threatening to “take a look” at their broadcasting licence. Aye right then, they will pull a company that turns over hundreds of millions because of a lump of melting ice!

Cretins.

I think the row goes back much longer than the block of ice.

And your right Ch4 is publicly owned and does make the economy money, about £2bn at the last count.

45 minutes ago, gjcc said:

At least that other Victorian disease, Rees-Mogg has been less prevalent recently. 

Let's hope there is enough vaccines available, heaven forbid an outbreak of the Rees-Moggs. :rofl::rofl:

One thing the BBC have done well is push back against accusations of bias.

I know there are still reasonable questions. But the Andrew Neil challenge to Boris Johnson setting out what he wanted to ask him probably will save them for a charge of actual electoral bias for not confirming the Johnson interview before the others committed. His statement has been viewed on line 5 million times now. 

And the message that Johnson can't be trusted has been stated. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Jambo, Goodbye
56 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Vile horrible disgusting party. It attracts exactly that type of person and voter.

How anyone with a shred of decency can vote for that way of thinking is far beyond me 😒

15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I know there are still reasonable questions. But the Andrew Neil challenge to Boris Johnson setting out what he wanted to ask him probably will save them for a charge of actual electoral bias for not confirming the Johnson interview before the others committed. His statement has been viewed on line 5 million times now. 

BBS Scotland are another matter all together though.

Just listen to "call Kaye" :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

And still millions will vote for him to get into No. 10, regardless.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

How anyone with a shred of decency can vote for that way of thinking is far beyond me 😒

They don't.

20 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It would be too late. 

I don't care how they go, as long as the don't get out the house on the 12th. 

i should have said before ...! 

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

They don't.

I know very good decent people, family included, that vote Tory. I could never bring myself to do the same, but instead of demonising those who vote Tory, perhaps we should ask ourselves instead *why* they do. I personally put much of the blame on the fear culture engendered by media such as the Daily Mail with the utter pap they force-feed the masses, combined with the natural conservatism that seeps into folk when they get older.

Edited by redjambo

Should be a laugh tonight. 

Can't see it will make any difference. People already know Boris is a liar and otherwise talks pish.

But still vote for him. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

15 "Get Brexit Done" from Boris.

Only 4 "One Nation". 

Aye well he has fired every one nation tory left in the party and the last one nation tory PM was telling people to vote tactically to keep Boris out earlier today.

dobmisterdobster
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye well he has fired every one nation tory left in the party and the last one nation tory PM was telling people to vote tactically to keep Boris out earlier today.

Cameron?

Trapper John McIntyre

Corbyn Steptoe really does have a worryingly short fuse.  What a ghastly figure he cuts.

Boris was the better tonight but he let the Jew hater off during the anti-semitism question . He could have destroyed him there but let the chance slip away.

What a choice though. Chronic.

dobmisterdobster
3 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Corbyn Steptoe really does have a worryingly short fuse.  What a ghastly figure he cuts.

Boris was the better tonight but he let the Jew hater off during the anti-semitism question . He could have destroyed him there but let the chance slip away.

What a choice though. Chronic.

Boris pulled a lot of his punches. It was probably the right thing to do.

He didn't need to "win" this debate like Corbyn did.

Trapper John McIntyre
1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Boris pulled a lot of his punches. It was probably the right thing to do.

He didn't need to "win" this debate like Corbyn did.

Should have hammered him on the EHRC investigation. Corbyn's got 11 charges against himself in it alone.

How 33% of the country is willing to vote for a lying, racist, anti semitic, IRA loving, terroristic sympathising, Marxist creep is beyond belief.

Weakened Offender
50 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Boris was the better tonight but he let the Jew hater off during the anti-semitism question . 

It's people like you who will destroy any chance this country has next Thursday. You need help. 

On 04/12/2019 at 16:09, maroonlegions said:

Is that the same Patel who mislead parliament when trying to do underhand  deals  with the Israelis and who May sacked then Boris reinstated  . Horrible woman, no human apathy in her, like most of the  millionaire Tory cabinet   and those who vote for them, selfservatives , it's in the name and ten years of draconian  austerity welfare cuts.  Remember Tory austerity was never a necessity  it was a political choice  aimed at the most vulnerable  and needy. How anyone can still go out and vote for these utter cowards and reptiles is  beyond me.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

She really is a pretty nasty person...

I’m just going to say it though... 😬

(would) :(

On 03/12/2019 at 17:05, Icon of Symmetry said:

I read this post an hour or so after a friend of mine told me about her Mum struggling to get her Universal Credit paid for 18 months, because they don’t deem her disabled, despite letters from her GP and failing a medical. She has to decide between eating toast or heating her flat because she can’t do both. 

It makes me angry that people are being treated that way. Your views just come across as ‘I’m alright Jack’ after reading what she told me and then your out of touch posts about what YOU consider to be perks that most people can afford.

It saddens me that someone from a non-privileged background as you state, can be so uncaring towards the difficulties other people face.

The conservatives have doubled our national debt through austerity, because they have refused to go after the tax avoidance and evasion of the richest people in the country, whilst screwing pennies out of the most vulnerable people: the disabled, unemployed, OAPs and low income families who can afford it least.

Spot on

8 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Spot on

The whole austerity thing is the biggest racket the UK has ever seen in peace time.

Brown crashes the economy by deregulating the banks.

Once the economy has crashed, Nick Clegg senses a chance for the Lib Dems and himself to experience a little power, so they prop up the Tories.

The Tories/Lib Dems use the crashes economy as an excuse to go after the welfare system  and public services. 

A decade later the national debt has doubled, 20,000 vulnerable people are dead, and the richest people in our society are even richer.

On 03/12/2019 at 22:48, Icon of Symmetry said:

Apparently it’s not horrific though. Apparently everyone should be able to climb out of poverty by themselves. 

I used to think people were generally decent, kind and capable of empathy. Now I think the majority of people must be selfish, cruel and uncaring. Truth of the matter is, people probably haven’t changed at all, I’ve just got older and now realise that’s what people are like.

Sad reflection mate. Not all oldies have given up hope. 

Empathy!!!  now there is a word that most Tories won't know or have come across 

Might  take sometime explaining

Captain Sausage
46 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The whole austerity thing is the biggest racket the UK has ever seen in peace time.

Brown crashes the economy by deregulating the banks.

Once the economy has crashed, Nick Clegg senses a chance for the Lib Dems and himself to experience a little power, so they prop up the Tories.

The Tories/Lib Dems use the crashes economy as an excuse to go after the welfare system  and public services. 

A decade later the national debt has doubled, 20,000 vulnerable people are dead, and the richest people in our society are even richer.

The wilful conflation of debt and deficit is frustration and is a political fanboy pointscoring exercise. 

You have some good points in the quote above, but let yourself down on the national debt part. 

Trapper John McIntyre
9 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

It's people like you who will destroy any chance this country has next Thursday. You need help. 

Which part of the description of Corbyn being a lying, racist, anti semitic, IRA loving, terroristic sympathising, Marxist do you disagree with?

6 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Which part of the description of Corbyn being a lying, racist, anti semitic, IRA loving, terroristic sympathising, Marxist do you disagree with?

All of it. Let's compare this to the lying racist, anti black, anti Muslim, anti Scottish (Something in common, with you), terrorist sympathising, Tory, Etonian, poor hating, British/English nationalist(Another thing in common), EU hating , US loving, Middle East bombing, NHS selling twat.