General Election 2019

Shanks said no

On 02/11/2019 at 09:01, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tbh I don't think there is anything really new in this, MP's have quit running again for a multitude of reasons over the years including the personal abuse they receive, only real difference nowadays is the amount of abuse, which is a direct result of the keyboard warriors on the internet & social media, whereas in bygone times it was good old fashioned pen & paper, with either a note or a letter dropping through the letter box or tied to a stone and thrown through the window of their office.

Even the type of abuse hasn't really changed, people still got death, rape & abduction threats 100 years ago, all that's different today is the delivery method and the sheer volume of the threats, which is directly linked to the ease of the delivery method.

Fortunately the number of people who actually carry out their threats is still very very low, and it's always has been that way, however in every time & era there has always been one or two nutters who will carry the threat out.

Is that what you do when you're not posting on here. :laugh:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

15 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Is that what you do when you're not posting on here. :laugh:

:silviodamn:   Rumbled.

Believe it or not but I'm not on any form of social media, fakebook or twitter or anything, I've no time for any of them, apart from here.

Trust me I wouldn't post anything which I wouldn't say to someone's face.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

:silviodamn:   Rumbled.

Believe it or not but I'm not on any form of social media, fakebook or twitter or anything, I've no time for any of them, apart from here.

Trust me I wouldn't post anything which I wouldn't say to someone's face.

Me too, no time for facebook, twitter and the rest of them.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

But the current Government has had plenty time to introduce tougher sentences.

How voters react isn't always clear. 

One big difference though, Boris Johnson wasn't in charge for any of the previous governments, meaning he practically has a clean slate to work with, especially as it was Theresa May who was first Home Secretary and then PM.  

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

True, and there's the whole cuts to policing under May still hanging over.

Still, cOrbYn Is A tErRoRiSt SyMpAtHiZeR :rolleyes:

Pure hates Joos annaw.

39 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Me too, no time for facebook, twitter and the rest of them.

Around 20 years ago I got absolute dogs abuse via email from someone on a Genealogy forum, a Genealogy forum ffs.

Long story short I used to do look-ups for folks as there wasn't a great deal of info online back in 1999, well one guy didn't quite agree with what I'd found out via official documents about his granny, seems his granny had told the family a different story about a few things.  Ended up I had to change my email address and I came off the forum, just stopped doing look-ups for folks, I thought I'm doing this for free out of the kindness of my heart and I get dogs abuse for it, feck that.

What happened to me 20 years ago, shows that there has been online internet abuse for as long as the internet has existed, just about.

Needless to say when facebook, twitter etc etc came along, I had no interest in joining them, and I still don't have any interest today.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Around 20 years ago I got absolute dogs abuse via email from someone on a Genealogy forum, a Genealogy forum ffs.

Long story short I used to do look-ups for folks as there wasn't a great deal of info online back in 1999, well one guy didn't quite agree with what I'd found out via official documents about his granny, seems his granny had told the family a different story about a few things.  Ended up I had to change my email address and I came off the forum, just stopped doing look-ups for folks, I thought I'm doing this for free out of the kindness of my heart and I get dogs abuse for it, feck that.

What happened to me 20 years ago, shows that there has been online internet abuse for as long as the internet has existed, just about.

Needless to say when facebook, twitter etc etc came along, I had no interest in joining them, and I still don't have any interest today.

It's a shame that one idiot's actions resulted in other folk not being able to take advantage of your generosity.

Speaking as a genealogist, thanks for having helped folk out in any case!

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not a bad idea. 
I can say daft stuff on here from time to time but genuinely it’s because I speak like that normally but always with a bit sarcasm and stuff. People don’t know me so assume it’s said with venom etc and apart from I’ve posted hungover a few times I genuinely don’t. I don’t hate anybody and even the people I disagree with on here I’d buy them a pint if I ever bumped into them. 
Things get taken very differently in text form, people should try remember that. 

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Long story short I used to do look-ups for folks as there wasn't a great deal of info online back in 1999,

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's a shame that one idiot's actions resulted in other folk not being able to take advantage of your generosity.

Speaking as a genealogist, thanks for having helped folk out in any case!

Off topic I know but I worked in GRO(S) and National Archives of Scotland and the merged body National Records of Scotland on IT and Public Services including Search Rooms and Websites and managed a number of the digitisation projects. I still feel delighted that projects we worked on back in the 90s are still paying dividends decades later 🙂

45 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My hatred of social media dates back to around 1997/98ish when I moved in with my pal and her mate. One thing lead to another and I was involved in a full on love triangle. We were all living together under the same roof an my pal and her mate would both be on their respective computers in the same chat room in 'private chat' and be PMing each other even though they were both in the living room 10 feet away from each other. :wacko: Ever since I have hated computers  I am aware I am posting from one, but doesn't stop me hating them.

Edited by Marvin

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Off topic I know but I worked in GRO(S) and National Archives of Scotland and the merged body National Records of Scotland on IT and Public Services including Search Rooms and Websites and managed a number of the digitisation projects. I still feel delighted that projects we worked on back in the 90s are still paying dividends decades later 🙂

Sweet. You *should* be delighted - the system is excellent these days, even more useful now that searching the indexes online is free. A long way from having to go there in person, look up large index books, and then be taken to the register of your choosing by one of the curators so that you could transcribe the entry you were looking for (although for some reason I still miss those days too). The only drawback with online use is that if you are viewing a lot of certificates then it can get a mite expensive (I wish I lived in Edinburgh so that I could head along to ScotlandsPeople without it costing an arm and a leg in travel and accommodation).

I know, off-topic too. Apologies. :)

11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Again off topic, oh the days of only being allowed 3 michrofiches at a time and the old microfilm machines, of course the record you were looking for was always right at the end of the film, then you had to wind the whole thing back again to the start, oh the joys.

46 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Tory Car Crash Part THREE

Brandon Lewis actually explains it well.

But I'd say you need to double nurses' wages to stop the turnover. If you did that though you would need to increase doctors' wages etc. 

Including turnover in your assessment is reasonable. But including that in your public statement of figures isn't. 

Having said that its brilliant. 

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Brandon Lewis actually explains it well.

But I'd say you need to double nurses' wages to stop the turnover. If you did that though you would need to increase doctors' wages etc. 

Including turnover in your assessment is reasonable. But including that in your public statement of figures isn't. 

Having said that its brilliant. 

Of course retention is an issue but don't bullshit people into believing that they count as extra! If they do really count as extra then why not simply alter your retention target and say we expect to lose 100k nurses so now the Tories are promising 130,000 more nurses .

Brandon Lewis says that they'll bring back nurses who have left, well unless they address the issues why most of them left in the first place, then they ain't gonna come back into the profession, and I can tell you it isn't all about money, it's the pressure that they are under and the little to no support or help they get from management.

Lewis admits that the NHS has a problem with retention, I've yet to hear any of them give any indications as to what the causes are.

How many of the retention nurses are foreign nationals being chased out of the country by the poisonous racial atmosphere around?

Fat chance of retaining them.

And where are the supposed 12,000 immigrant nurses magically appearing from at a time when other immigrants are all going home?

:kirk:

Edited by Cade

19 minutes ago, Cade said:

How many of the retention nurses are foreign nationals being chased out of the country by the poisonous racial atmosphere around?

Fat chance of retaining them.

And where are the supposed 12,000 immigrant nurses magically appearing from at a time when other immigrants are all going home?

:kirk:

I'd imagine India, Pakistan etc, if EU nurses don't want to work here.

21 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

aye, I ken that

I meant you saying 'SNP to wipe these unionist parasites off the Scottish map, I reckon. 😎' seems to suggest you might not be a Scot that Nicola Sturgeon wants in Scotland either. When she said, 'Scotland's contribution to human progress down the ages is immeasurable." 'But perhaps our greatest contribution will be this - a new country founded on hope and a vision of shared humanity and compassion' 

Civic nationalism is our chance to return to being an independent nation. I’m all for it. People who want to keep us shackled to another country’s rule are holding us back. Parasites imo. 🦠 

3 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

So you reckon -

'SNP to wipe these unionist parasites off the Scottish map, I reckon. 😎'

= Civic Nationalism

= 'But perhaps our greatest contribution will be this - a new country founded on hope and a vision of shared humanity and compassion'' ?

Oh... I was referring to the politicians who want to keep Scotland shackled to a horrible rightwing system that has destroyed rUK’s welfare state and will soon do the same to the health service. Parasite behaviour.

You seem upset. I assume you vote for the parasites? 🦠

3 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

So when Nicola Sturgeon said 'Scotland's contribution to human progress down the ages is immeasurable." 'But perhaps our greatest contribution will be this - a new country founded on hope and a vision of shared humanity and compassion' , you thought that it was ok to call other human beings 'parasites'? 

I am perfectly comfortable with calling politicians who want to keep Scotland shackled to a failed rightwing empire built on genocide, exploitation and slavery, parasites, yes. Surprised you are struggling with this so much. 🦠

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

7 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I am perfectly comfortable with calling politicians who want to keep Scotland shackled to a failed rightwing empire built on genocide, exploitation and slavery, parasites, yes. Surprised you are struggling with this so much. 🦠

A failed rightwing empire 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Genocide, exploitation and slavery 🤣🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I always struggle when a person, like yourself here tonight, makes the leap from seeing other human beings as people, to other people being parasites. 

I'm surprised you are so comfortable calling humans parasites. 

The UK is a murderous country who’s empire has caused pain, misery and death to millions. I want Scotland removed from it, and the rightwing politicians who want to keep it there are parasites. 🦠

7 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

A failed rightwing empire 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Genocide, exploitation and slavery 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Indeed. Still going on too with our arms sales. Nasty little country who would be doing the world a favour if it was dissolved. 👍

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Indeed. Still going on too with our arms sales. Nasty little country who would be doing the world a favour if it was dissolved. 👍

Hilarious 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The UK is a murderous country who’s empire has caused pain, misery and death to millions. I want Scotland removed from it, and the rightwing politicians who want to keep it there are parasites. 🦠

You a member of the Real IRA? 

How is Britain killing people and what empire? 

If you are talking about the past Scotland played an equal part in the Empire. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You a member of the Real IRA? 

How is Britain killing people and what empire? 

If you are talking about the past Scotland played an equal part in the Empire. 

No, can’t stand the IRA. Murderers. 

Our arms trade is killing many thousands of people each year.

Scotland was indeed under London rule when the British Empire was slaughtering and enslaving countless people to exploit their country’s resources. Shameful and I can’t wait until we remove ourselves from the shrivelled rightwing vestiges of what is left of it. :yucky:

We were never equal though. That’s just what desperate little unionists tell themselves whilst their country is manipulated and ruled by a foreign government. :( 

Just now, Zlatanable said:

The Nicola Sturgeon fronted version of The SNP has already committed to NATO spending rules. So your version of iScotland would be buying/spending on arms.

And do you believe it wouldn't be involved in making them too?

We would not be making and selling arms to nations with disgusting human rights records however. British made weapons are used by some of the most despicable regimes on the planet, often against the innocent.

9 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Scotland was indeed under London rule when the British Empire was slaughtering and enslaving countless people to exploit their country’s resources. Shameful and I can’t wait until we remove ourselves from the shrivelled rightwing vestiges of what is left of it. :yucky:

We were never equal though. That’s just what desperate little unionists tell themselves whilst their country is manipulated and ruled by a foreign government. :( 

So what do you make of the Scottish Government's record since 2007? 

Or do you hold on to these emotional crutches from the past and don't bother about the actual practicals of real life.

Still going to be tough to improve health, education, homelessness, criminal justice, poverty, employment opportunities etc if we are Independent. 

Edited by Mikey1874

7 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Rantings of a madman 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So what do you make of the Scottish Government's record since 2007? 

Or do you hold on to these emotional crutches from the past and don't bother about the actual practicals.

Still going to be tough to improve health, education, homelessness, criminal justice, poverty, employment opportunities etc if we are Independent. 

We are doing a pretty decent job with one hand tied behind our back, with limited devolved powers and a block grant, as opposed to full legislative control of our revenue.

Read the SNP manifesto for the 2019 GE and it sits comfortably with my outlook and views. 

3 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Cool madman. Sure thing. I'm the idiot 😉🤣🤣

You started it, old timer. Just showing you the same respect as you are me. :) 

7 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

You don't know that @Icon of Symmetry . 

What I do know, is that the UK is currently the world’s second largest arms dealer, and a third of those weapons go to states on the human rights watchlist. 

Just now, Zlatanable said:

'We would not be making and selling arms to nations with disgusting human rights records however. British made weapons are used by some of the most despicable regimes on the planet, often against the innocent.'

What will you do when, inevitably, the iScottish arms industry sells to a place that uses arms for the purpose they are intended for? 

I would be appalled if that happened and I would use my vote to try and stop it.

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Even if iScottish arms were used against parasites and despicable regimes on this planet?

I would expect us to only sell to countries who’s governments do not oppress and murder the weak, yes. 

35 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

There were as many Scottish  Victorian traders, merchants and businesses that participated in the activities of the empire just as enthusiastically as any other UK country, Dutch , Spanish or French colonisers.

Its all the English’s fault though.

4 minutes ago, Fourcandles said:

There were as many Scottish  Victorian traders, merchants and businesses that participated in the activities of the empire just as enthusiastically as any other UK country, Dutch , Spanish or French colonisers.

Its all the English’s fault though.

We were not in a position to make that decision. We were under the rule of another country’s government and crown. Would we have done so if we were an independent country? Possibly. Probably even... the fact remains however, that we were not one. Our own attempt at building an empire was shameful.

Its because of these skid marks in our history that I want to see us go back to ruling our own country, and each and every Scottish person have more of a say in such matters going forwards. 

12 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

So you would not agree, by not voting for, an iScotland that sold any form of manufactured oppression/lethal machinery to a country that was attempting to control internal 'parasites' for instance?

You seem very keen to excuse and justify our part in the murder and oppression of the innocent. :( 

"You seem very keen to excuse and justify our part in the murder and oppression of the innocent. :( "

You seem suspiciously keen to deny your responsibility in anything that has ever happened. 

It wuz them damn Englanders that forced us to dae it.....🙈🤣

"You seem very keen to excuse and justify our part in the murder and oppression of the innocent. :( "

You seem suspiciously keen to deny your responsibility in anything that has ever happened. 

You know when you use the quote function, you don’t need to copy and paste the same quote in your reply, right? :lol:

I absolutely deny my responsibility for these things. My ancestors? Probably... all the more reason to detach myself from the remnants of the cruel regime who orchestrated these oppressive acts. 

2 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

It wuz them damn Englanders that forced us to dae it.....🙈🤣

It was the King of England and his English parliament who gave the orders, and the Scots who were part of that regime did as they were telt. Sadly. :( 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

We would not be making and selling arms to nations with disgusting human rights records however. British made weapons are used by some of the most despicable regimes on the planet, often against the innocent.

OK so Britains arms sales make it in your words despicable as a country.

so logically then because of thier arms sales France, Netherlands, Germany and Spain must also be despicable and you’d want nothing to do with them either.......So by logical deduction and consistency then you must be a Brexiteer ?

3 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

The Nicola Sturgeon fronted version of The SNP has already committed to NATO spending rules. So your version of iScotland would be buying/spending on arms.

And do you believe it wouldn't be involved in making them too?

The rules you refer to is for defence spending of Nato members should be at a minimum 2% of GDP annually. You can choose what to do with that defence spending though - you could be making bows and arrows, not nuclear weapons - as long as spending is at 2% or above, you're abiding by it. The UK for example, currently counts its veterans pension contributions toward the 2% figure - without that creative accounting it wouldn't be abiding by the rules.

The rules are also totally unenforceable, given how few NATO countries actually meet the target - but yes, the SNP are committed to meeting the target. However, instead of spunking hundreds of millions on weapons that will never be used, they can create more jobs in the armed forces, ensure our military is amongst the best equipped in the world, contribute towards peace-keeping actions around the world and if it ever came it to it, defend the country without having to resort to Nuclear armageddon. 

Brits masquerading as Scots again. Upper class scum who lost their wealth used the English empire to recover it, but hey, it was Scots (The same Scots, who rioted for 60 years) who joined in the empire. 

Anyway tick tock!!!!

8 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

The rules you refer to is for defence spending of Nato members should be at a minimum 2% of GDP annually. You can choose what to do with that defence spending though - you could be making bows and arrows, not nuclear weapons - as long as spending is at 2% or above, you're abiding by it. The UK for example, currently counts its veterans pension contributions toward the 2% figure - without that creative accounting it wouldn't be abiding by the rules.

The rules are also totally unenforceable, given how few NATO countries actually meet the target - but yes, the SNP are committed to meeting the target. However, instead of spunking hundreds of millions on weapons that will never be used, they can create more jobs in the armed forces, ensure our military is amongst the best equipped in the world, contribute towards peace-keeping actions around the world and if it ever came it to it, defend the country without having to resort to Nuclear armageddon. 

Very interesting. Thanks for that Toggie.