General Election 2019

Shanks said no

Brighton Jambo
Just now, Smithee said:

Yeah it was untidy, but for the sake of clarity my point is that you're pointing the finger at the snp for not mitigating the damage caused by the party you voted for. 

Yes partly.  I recognise that in the main they can’t and I’m not trying to say they are culpable to anywhere near the same level as the conservatives, of course they aren’t but they have chosen to forgo the transfer for benefits powers until 2024.  I don’t care what anyone says if they took those powers now they could mitigate some of the damage and deserve criticism accordingly.  

It is actually possible to criticise two governments at the same time.  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yes partly.  I recognise that in the main they can’t and I’m not trying to say they are culpable to anywhere near the same level as the conservatives, of course they aren’t but they have chosen to forgo the transfer for benefits powers until 2024.  I don’t care what anyone says if they took those powers now they could mitigate some of the damage and deserve criticism accordingly.  

It is actually possible to criticise two governments at the same time.  

It is, but this is specifically a Westminster thread.

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It is, but this is specifically a Westminster thread.

Don’t be pedantic, the performance of the SNP in the Scottish Parliament is a perfectly valid data point for whether people feel they should or shouldn’t vote for them in a general election.  

maroonlegions
38 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

This BBC bias stuff is laughable and the postings of the paranoid.  For months and months leave voters have been screaming that the BBC is biased towards remain and now suddenly they are supporting the conservatives who advocate leaving.

clearly someone is wrong.  

And yet when they are found out you dismiss it, Something clearly wrong there mate.

Hiding corruption:

The Prime Minister has acted beyond the conventions of his authority by demanding that specific names be removed from a report into Russian influence on UK politics by the parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC), according to sources close to the committee.

The names listed in the report are Conservative Party donors and ‘personal friends’ of the Prime Minister.

This is a HUGE signifier of Government corruption and collusion with foreign governments, And will therefore no doubt be ignored by all major news organizations.

Number 10 or senior ministers can order the redaction of names ONLY if publication is regarded a matter of national security.

If the truth is simply politically inconvenient or embarrassing for Number 10 or the Conservative Party that individuals are named in a controversial report, that cannot be an official reason to issue an order that names be covered up.

The major news orgs need to step up.

Nothing paranoid about that.

When no one holds power to account, Corruption becomes standard practice, going unchecked by the institutions that are supposed to protect our democracy by shining a light into shady places.

The BBC HAVE in the past had to apologize for airing MISLEADING news reports on Corbyn , this is a fact and not paranoid, but you knew that anyway.

Nick Robinson from the BBC  ... Impartial..:cornette: 

69571192_771905423232098_4245750222078083072_n.jpg

Edited by maroonlegions

7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Don’t be pedantic, the performance of the SNP in the Scottish Parliament is a perfectly valid data point for whether people feel they should or shouldn’t vote for them in a general election.  

The Scottish Tories are pathetic, but I bet you don't take that into account, coz it's only the SNP that you judge twice.

Edited by ri Alban

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It will be better when we see the actual manifestos.

Labour next week. Conservatives the week after. 

I think that, in line with Tory policy on releasing government reports on Russia funding of Brexit, postponing the Jennifer Acuri investigation, postponing release of information on the state of the economy and dumpig the pledge to investigte the rampant Islamaphobia in the Tory party, actually the Tory manifesto now won't be relaesed until AFTER the eleciton.

Edited by RobboM

Brighton Jambo
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Scottish Tories are pathetic, but I bet you don't take that into account, coz it's only the SNP that you judge twice.

I categorically won’t be voting for Scottish conservatives.  As I have aid on here before

Brighton Jambo
12 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

And yet when they are found out you dismiss it, Something clearly wrong there mate.

Hiding corruption:

The Prime Minister has acted beyond the conventions of his authority by demanding that specific names be removed from a report into Russian influence on UK politics by the parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC), according to sources close to the committee.

The names listed in the report are Conservative Party donors and ‘personal friends’ of the Prime Minister.

This is a HUGE signifier of Government corruption and collusion with foreign governments, And will therefore no doubt be ignored by all major news organizations.

Number 10 or senior ministers can order the redaction of names ONLY if publication is regarded a matter of national security.

If the truth is simply politically inconvenient or embarrassing for Number 10 or the Conservative Party that individuals are named in a controversial report, that cannot be an official reason to issue an order that names be covered up.

The major news orgs need to step up.

Nothing paranoid about that.

When no one holds power to account, Corruption becomes standard practice, going unchecked by the institutions that are supposed to protect our democracy by shining a light into shady places.

The BBC HAVE in the past had to apologize for airing MISLEADING news reports on Corbyn , this is a fact and not paranoid, but you knew that anyway.

But the headline on the BBC news page for most the day has been Hilary Clinton calling it Shameful that the Tory government has been suppressing the report.  The main headline!

how is that ignoring it or covering it up.  The BBC bias chat is paranoia.

maroonlegions
21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This election AGAIN is being made about INDYREF2  and the SNP. 

It should be about Boris and this Tory governments brutal austerity war on the poor and needy and the vulnerable.   

35 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It's hardly pedantic, we're talking about Westminster elections here and you're pointing the finger at Holyrood.

9 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

It should be about Boris and this Tory governments brutal austerity war on the poor and needy and the vulnerable.   

We have plenty people on here showing why not so many care about that. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

That’s because the SNP are a one trick pony. Sturgeon’s political career has one more referendum left in it - because after that, when she has to do something other than bang on about independence, she’ll be shown up for the empty suit that she is.

Trapper John McIntyre

What has this thread got to do with the election? Its just the usual JKB/SNP hate fest crap against Unionism/ The Tory Party plus a sprinkling of pseudo love towards the arch creep Corbyn.

I do however get the rather pleasing impression that the ScotNat drones here are keeching themselves ever so slightly this time. Tactical voting on a grand scale won't be a phenomenon reserved solely for down South.

Could be a night of unpleasant surprises for many. I don't care who wins; I'll raise a glass to any of the Parties that removes an SNP MP on the night.

The more the merrier.

Oh yes, what on earth do the horrific behaviour and policies of the Tory party have to do with a bloody election? Don't concern your little heads with such things. Now trot off to the polls and vote Conservative like good little submissives,  yeah? 

:bolt: 

15 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

What has this thread got to do with the election? Its just the usual JKB/SNP hate fest crap against Unionism/ The Tory Party plus a sprinkling of pseudo love towards the arch creep Corbyn.

I do however get the rather pleasing impression that the ScotNat drones here are keeching themselves ever so slightly this time. Tactical voting on a grand scale won't be a phenomenon reserved solely for down South.

Could be a night of unpleasant surprises for many. I don't care who wins; I'll raise a glass to any of the Parties that removes an SNP MP on the night.

The more the merrier.

Do you think the SNP will win more or less seats? Be honest, now! 

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

So you posted a load of garbage, thanks for admitting it. Lookforward to your next SNP bad tirade, maybe check first though. PS nice bit of personal abuse, thanks for that. Just what I expect from a tory

Lol :lol:
Reminds me of a tory apologist on here who berated me for ‘personal abuse’ and’ playing the man’!

tory hypocrisy knows no bounds. Just like their minions. 

8 hours ago, redjambo said:

Further reading shows that 3,000 individuals applied to be candidates and provided a £100 non-refundable deposit.

image.png.d773d781b16b9a09708b7967abdcbb86.png

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Did I really see Corbyn proposing £15 a hour for McDonalds workers? Someone put that idiot out of his misery

No

McDonald's workers want £15 an hour.

Labour offering £10. 

annushorribilis III
3 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

The more the merrier.

As a Scot who lives in England I'd like to pose a question : at the last Indy Ref it was said that Scotland is "better together" but when it came to brexit the message was "better alone".  So , for clarity, what is the message ?

If brexit is about "independence day, taking back control, being an independent nation, not being a law taker but a law maker , making our own trade deals". Why wouldn't Scotland do that ?  Or want that?

Scotland has 100 times more than it uses in water supply. England and Wales doesn't have enough. But hey, they'll no want it after sexit. 

If Scotland supplies 40% of the UKs gas supply, why would we need to import post sexit. 

If Scotland supplies...

Nevermind, we're too wee, too stupid, etc... etc... 

10 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Oh yes, what on earth do the horrific behaviour and policies of the Tory party have to do with a bloody election? Don't concern your little heads with such things. Now trot off to the polls and vote Conservative like good little submissives,  yeah? 

:bolt: 

D5509CAD-F617-45ED-A60F-1BF12F373C9B.jpeg

Christine Jardine just on BBC just now , comes across as very caring and talking a lot of sense, getting my vote , oh and

shes Liberal democrat.

My days of voting labour are well gone, that party is well gone down the pan..

10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Rachael Swindon - one of shan dot liarson’s pals, not doubt. A sanctimonious bint

Makes a good point though?

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland has 100 times more than it uses in water supply. England and Wales doesn't have enough. But hey, they'll no want it after sexit. 

If Scotland supplies 40% of the UKs gas supply, why would we need to import post sexit. 

If Scotland supplies...

Nevermind, we're too wee, too stupid, etc... etc... 

Been saying this for years. They will be begging us for water when they eventually run out. Parts of england already suffering droughts. Liquid gold. 

We should be investing more in stopping water wastage 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Been saying this for years. They will be begging us for water when they eventually run out. Parts of england already suffering droughts. Liquid gold. 

I think the 3 of us (Aussie, yourself & me) all realise that Scotland has an abundant supply of 'liquid gold' which is going to be so precious in the future, wars will be fought over it, this is why we need to invest invest invest & invest even more into trying to capture and preserve as much as we can.

jack D and coke
9 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

As a Scot who lives in England I'd like to pose a question : at the last Indy Ref it was said that Scotland is "better together" but when it came to brexit the message was "better alone".  So , for clarity, what is the message ?

If brexit is about "independence day, taking back control, being an independent nation, not being a law taker but a law maker , making our own trade deals". Why wouldn't Scotland do that ?  Or want that?

It’s a good way of putting things tbh.
A position that a lot of people would struggle to defend. 

It’s the same really as this once in a generation nonsense. A WM government or PM can pretty much say whatever it likes and you’ve just to shrug it off and never think about holding them to it whereas us daft scotch lot will maybe get a chance to pipe up in another 25 years whether we keep voting for it or not. They’ll decide :lol: 
Add in the the fact hardly any of the promises have been kept and was the first time we really got to discuss this future in over 300 years too. But oh no that’s enough jock, get back in your box now and we’ll maybe let you talk about it again in 25-30 years. 
As others point out with the likes of fresh water and all our resources they ain’t for letting go. 

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Christine Jardine just on BBC just now , comes across as very caring and talking a lot of sense, getting my vote , oh and

shes Liberal democrat.

Can't stand her, the Lib Dems and their shallow leader. SNP EDI West in my family, only logical choice for our country until self governance. 

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

shes Liberal democrat.

I'm sure she's great! 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

We've better ice than the Eskimos. :)

12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s the same really as this once in a generation nonsense. A WM government or PM can pretty much say whatever it likes and you’ve just to shrug it off and never think about holding them to it whereas us daft scotch lot will maybe get a chance to pipe up in another 25 years whether we keep voting for it or not. They’ll decide :lol: 
Add in the the fact hardly any of the promises have been kept and was the first time we really got to discuss this future in over 300 years too. But oh no that’s enough jock, get back in your box now and we’ll maybe let you talk about it again in 25-30 years. 
As others point out with the likes of fresh water and all our resources they ain’t for letting go. 

The UK has had 2 eurefs in 40+ years. Scotland has had 1 in 312+ years. We must being living longer than they're telling us. Our generations must be a helluva long time.

27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s the same really as this once in a generation nonsense. A WM government or PM can pretty much say whatever it likes and you’ve just to shrug it off and never think about holding them to it whereas us daft scotch lot will maybe get a chance to pipe up in another 25 years whether we keep voting for it or not.

It's true. If some offhand remarks by politicians about once in a generation/lifetime opportunities are like holy writ, what of actual vows?

image.png.83edf9c974d5e388744bbd4075f659f1.png

**** all from this has been adhered to--quite the opposite given Westminster's subsequent showing of immediate contempt for Sewel and the Scottish Parliament--but it's merely a written, signed vow. It doesn't count. Mugs.

dobmisterdobster
12 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

No

McDonald's workers want £15 an hour.

Labour offering £10. 

Activists want £15. Workers aren't that deluded.

Actual photo of an SNP member sitting having cake with 2 x "Scottish" tory members on the morning of December 13th 2019 :laugh2:.

stepbrothers-ferrell-reilly-crying-700x317.jpg

Jambo, Goodbye
26 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It was the workers that have been going on strike for a couple of years now. Today they had a walk out. Don't see why you would pretend otherwise?

From the BBC,

An employee at Crayford McDonald's in London, Lewis Baker, said he will be striking because he struggles to pay rent on his income of £8.80 an hour.

Mr Baker, 29, said: "There are a lot of workers who are struggling to pay their bills and get by day to day.

"We don't have set hours, so we don't always earn enough to pay the bills.

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

26 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Wanting paid enough to live a decent life, the nerve.

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Smithee said:

£8.80 is more than good enough,  and don't you forget it! Incredible levels of delusion indeed 🙄

dobmisterdobster
17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I have worked at McDonald's for a brief period.

I didn't expect to earn a decent living doing fast food work.

4 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The difference arises for people who this sort of job is their main income. 

There are a lot of people in low paid work.

Most people defined as in 'poverty' are working. 

38 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

£8.80 is more than good enough,  and don't you forget it! Incredible levels of delusion indeed 🙄

A raise to a tenner an hour on a 40 hr work week is roughly 20 quid extra a week, over the course of the year.

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, ArcticJambo said:

A raise to a tenner an hour on a 40 hr work week is roughly 20 quid extra a week, over the course of the year.

They want £15 though. 

Btw,  isn't a raise of £1.20 an hour x 40, £48 extra a week? Let me know if I've missed something 👍

2 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

They want £15 though. 

Btw,  isn't a raise of £1.20 an hour x 40, £48 extra a week? Let me know if I've missed something 👍

I'd take 15 an hour for a min wage job.

Was basing it on 8K (for the tenner) that will be taxed at 20% tho I think it might be 19 actually but I may have missed something.

Jambo, Goodbye
29 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Nobody mentioned a decent living, just breaking even and having a life. 

If that counts as decent though,  it's fair enough imo. 

You got something wrong further up the thread,  just to remind you that the workers must be "deluded" as you put it. 

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

shes Liberal democrat.

You obviously didn't hear her last week on the BBC then, talking a complete load of pish and plain downright lies.

She told Maxine Croxall in an interview that the Lib Dems are the only remain party in Scotland, that the SNP campaigned for both remain & leave during the EU ref and only joined the remain side AFTER the EU referendum result was announced, and like a true politician she said all of this with a straight face.

Jambo, Goodbye
8 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I'd take 15 an hour for a min wage job.

Was basing it on 8K (for the tenner) that will be taxed at 20% tho I think it might be 19 actually but I may have missed something.

So would I! Tbh I thought £15 seemed a bit cheeky 😁

Tax threshold is up to £12,500 this year mind. So 8k would be 0% tax. So even a wee increase makes a decent difference to low incomes. 

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

Just now, Jambo, Goodbye said:

So would I!

Tax threshold is up to £12,500 this year mind. So 8k would be 0% tax. So even a wee increase makes a decent difference to low incomes. 

That's 31.5K a year! :lol:

Isn't it 12.5K tax free then the rest at 19/20% so roughly 1700 paid in tax (plus slightly higher NI contributions) but yes a bit more wouldn't go amiss tbf. 20 quid pays food for a family of four for a day.