General Election 2019

Shanks said no

If the Conservative party wins the election and Johnson becomes Prime Minister with a working majority then the UK deserves all that it has coming to it.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

Jambo, Goodbye
15 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Including the last one where if Scotland hadn’t returned 13 conservative MP’s we wouldn’t have had a conservative government.  

Who else would have been in government instead?

1 minute ago, Boris said:

If the Conservative party wins the election and Johnson becomes Prime Minister with a working majority then the rest of the UK deserves all that it has coming to it.

FTFY because they won't win in Scotland and we won't deserve to be lumbered with the pricks yet again.

Jambo, Goodbye
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

FTFY because they won't win in Scotland and we won't deserve to be lumbered with the pricks yet again.

After the majority voted to be "Better Together", I'm inclined to think Scotland gets what it deserves too  🙄

5 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

After the majority voted to be "Better Together", I'm inclined to think Scotland gets what it deserves too  🙄

Being treated with even more contempt as every day passes by is still Better Together?

Jambo, Goodbye
1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Being treated with even more contempt as every day passes by is still Better Together?

That's what the 55% would say. But it's not what I said...

I'll rephrase, that 55% should get what they deserve 

Very much doubt it will be 55% once Biris Johnson and his cronies effectively being the UK to its knees if/once they get their way. The self proclaimed unionist party will be the party that rips the Heart right of it. 

Trivial things often influence the electorate. An English win in the RWC at the weekend could well lead to an increased sense of nationalism and a softening of floating voters attitudes towards Brexit, which would benefit the Tories. In Scotland the resurgence of Rangers has probably boosted the Unionist, pro-British vote, I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing someone who it's questionable as to what came first, their politics or their Rangers fandom.  

Looking at this objectively, Labour are not particularly attractive at the moment to the kind of voter that got them elected in 1997. The Lib Dems are not strong enough to achieve over 50 seats. It all points to a Conservative majority.

We better hope that Brexit does produce the sunlit uplands that all the available evidence suggests that it wont.

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

Scotland voted 55% to remain in the UK but 62% to remain in the EU.

Square that circle, if you can.

Perhaps some of those who were deceived by the slithery Tories in indyref1 with their "devo max" lies had wised up to their bull**** by the Brexit referendum.

Edited by Ray Gin

29 minutes ago, Cade said:

Scotland voted 55% to remain in the UK but 62% to remain in the EU.

Square that circle, if you can.

Which probably tells you that somewhere between 55% and 62% of Scottish voters are happy to stay in a Union of one kind or another.

It's not as simple as that though, as we all know.

More people in Scotland voted to leave the EU than voted for the SNP in the last GE, considering a lot of the SNP's manifesto at the last GE was about staying in the EU, how do we square that circle?

These are all things that have been discussed ad nauseam over the past few years, with 'facts and figures' from 'experts' to back up all sides of the argument..

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

One things for sure, the people of Scotland hate the Tories even more.

Indeed, British Nationalsts/separatists are not that popular anymore.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Perhaps some of those who were deceived by the slithery Tories in indyref1 with their "devo max" lies had wised up to their bull**** by the Brexit referendum.

I hope so.

dobmisterdobster
43 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The Tories never promised anything like Devo Max.

That was mostly Gordon Brown and Alastair Darling.

After doing some maths, it seems that at least 50 MPs from various parties are standing down and quitting politics at this election.

That's how toxic the state of UK politics has become.

I'll be voting SNP again. I legitimately would like Labour to win the whole thing but there's not a hope in hell they'll win the Edinburgh South West seat

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

After doing some maths, it seems that at least 50 MPs from various parties are standing down and quitting politics at this election.

There is always a turnover. Might not be any different to previous. 

But at least 2 MPs - Heidi Allan and Caroline Spelman - have said they are standing down at least in part due to threats and intimidation. 

Here's who we know so far

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cityam.com/general-election-these-are-the-mps-standing-down-at-the-next-election/amp/

Edited by Mikey1874

I can’t stand any of them tbh, I’m not party political but it’ll be SNP for me as I want Independence ASAP, then hopefully Sturgeon and her pals will **** off. 

1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

That's what the 55% would say. But it's not what I said...

I'll rephrase, that 55% should get what they deserve 

Sorry I was agreeing with you.

dobmisterdobster
18 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I can’t stand any of them tbh, I’m not party political but it’ll be SNP for me as I want Independence ASAP, then hopefully Sturgeon and her pals will **** off. 

No chance of that happening.

She will be the PM with Blackford or Cherry next in line.

40 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Which probably tells you that somewhere between 55% and 62% of Scottish voters are happy to stay in a Union of one kind or another.

It's not as simple as that though, as we all know.

More people in Scotland voted to leave the EU than voted for the SNP in the last GE, considering a lot of the SNP's manifesto at the last GE was about staying in the EU, how do we square that circle?

These are all things that have been discussed ad nauseam over the past few years, with 'facts and figures' from 'experts' to back up all sides of the argument..

No, at least 62% and probably a lot more are happy to "stay in a Union of one kind or another." 

There is no circle to square, things have moved on, we are in a different situation. It is a false comparison anyway. The SNP were not the only remain party in Scotland and all parties had significant numbers of remain and leave voters in their ranks. When it comes to an Indyref people who want independence will vote for independence whether or not we leave the EU.

What is becoming increasingly obvious is that a combination of leaving the EU, Boris Johnson, and right wing governments for the foreseeable future is weakening the resolve of all but a few of the most diehard Unionists in Scotland.  Will it be like the Thatcher era where nobody would admit to voting Tory and yet they had a big majority? None of the Tories i know can justify or even understand the position they have found themselves in. Hating and attempting to ridicule the "Nats" for their one issue politics is wearing very thin in the context of Tory "die in a ditch" Brexit. 

21 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Mainly a Labour pledge.

Anyone who believed that at the time is too gullible to even have a vote imo.

Not mainly a labour pledge. Signed off by David Cameron.

Tory admits that people who believe what they say are too gullible to deserve a vote.

:wow: 

dobmisterdobster
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Not mainly a labour pledge. Signed off by David Cameron.

Tory admits that people who believe what they say are too gullible to deserve a vote.

:wow: 

It was a mystery box from the Labour-led No campaign.

Gordon Brown bribed Labour voters with snake oil.

14 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Ah right you are, I thought we were going to have elections in an Independent Scotland not an autocracy. Silly me. 

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It was a mystery box from the Labour-led No campaign.

Gordon Brown bribed Labour voters with snake oil.

Decent powers on tax and social security that are making  changes that help people.

Scottish Government has certainly been celebrating its social security powers introducing help for a range of circumstances including new benefits for young carers, children, funerals.

Of course the last minute offer of new powers after the poll showing Yes winning was against the rules of the Referendum and should have been ruled unlawful. 

Shanks said no

NATO summit on 3/4 December gives BJ a chance to masquerade as a statesman 

Leaders from North Atlantic Treaty Organisation member states are to gather in London in December for their annual summit.

Allied heads of state and government, including U.S. President Donald Trump, will discuss security challenges to "ensure that NATO continues to adapt in order to keep its population of almost one billion people safe", according to the organisation's Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg.

London, which was the home of NATO's first headquarters, will host the summit in the organisation's 70th anniversary year.

dobmisterdobster
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Decent powers on tax and social security that are making  changes that help people.

Scottish Government has certainly been celebrating its social security powers introducing help for a range of circumstances including new benefits for young carers, children, funerals.

Of course the last minute offer of new powers after the poll showing Yes winning was against the rules of the Referendum and should have been ruled unlawful. 

Scotland did get new powers. People who voted No expecting fiscal autonomy were naive.

I don't believe the vow was decisive in influencing the result. The vast majority of No voters did so because they didn't want Independence.

6 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

NATO summit on 3/4 December gives BJ a chance to masquerade as a statesman 

Leaders from North Atlantic Treaty Organisation member states are to gather in London in December for their annual summit.

Allied heads of state and government, including U.S. President Donald Trump, will discuss security challenges to "ensure that NATO continues to adapt in order to keep its population of almost one billion people safe", according to the organisation's Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg.

London, which was the home of NATO's first headquarters, will host the summit in the organisation's 70th anniversary year.

NATO summit will be all about Trump and him demanding more money from everybody else and generally decrying and undermining the entire organisation at every turn.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

NATO summit will be all about Trump and him demanding more money from everybody else and generally decrying and undermining the entire organisation at every turn.

Other things can happen in next 5 weeks that don't make Boris and his pals look so good. 

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

2014 says different.

5 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Scotland did get new powers. People who voted No expecting fiscal autonomy were naive.

I don't believe the vow was decisive in influencing the result. The vast majority of No voters did so because they didn't want Independence.

The Brexit referendum would indicate that they did so because the Tories claimed that remaining in the UK was the only way we would be guaranteed to keep our place in the EU. Look how that panned out...

44 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

::facepaw:: 

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Jo Swinson claims that the LibDems are "a small swing away from winning hundreds of seats"

:olly:

I find Jo Swinson’s chest extraordinarily distracting 

The Continental Op
13 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I appreciate the effort but unfortunately tactical voting rarely works. Most people aren't bothered.

Worked well in the North East last time.

The Continental Op
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Farage DPM :rofl: 

:jambobanana:

Independence at last!

No harder form of Brexit will pass, so it's over for him and his party. Soft-pedalling/standing aside for Tory Brexit believers and a seat in the House of Lords as a reward the likeliest outcome.

The Continental Op
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Trivial things often influence the electorate. An English win in the RWC at the weekend could well lead to an increased sense of nationalism and a softening of floating voters attitudes towards Brexit, which would benefit the Tories. In Scotland the resurgence of Rangers has probably boosted the Unionist, pro-British vote, I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing someone who it's questionable as to what came first, their politics or their Rangers fandom.  

Looking at this objectively, Labour are not particularly attractive at the moment to the kind of voter that got them elected in 1997. The Lib Dems are not strong enough to achieve over 50 seats. It all points to a Conservative majority.

We better hope that Brexit does produce the sunlit uplands that all the available evidence suggests that it wont.

Election is on the last Europa league night, with The Rangers at home, playing at 8PM and Celtic away in Romania earlier.

Gers fans leave work-> pub->match without voting?

Edit - assumes they have jobs, obviously!

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

You get the feeling it’s happened to a few folk, I wouldn’t be rushing to use her dentist though 😱.

21 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Deviant. You’ll probably think the thought of her on “a small swing” is mildly alluring then? :lol: 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Cade said:

My MP is standing down but only because he's about 73 years old and thinks it should be a younger person's job. 

Shame. He's been an excellent constituency MP (regardless of political party) and I doubt we'll get anyone nearly half as good. 

3 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

After Independence, there will be no need for the SNP, they will have achieved their objective.