Tax Return

dougal

I have to fill out a self assessment tax return. I currently have shares in the company that I work for. In one section it asks if I get any dividends from shares etc. Any dividend that I do get comes in my monthly pay so has already been taxed. With that being the case do I need to declare the dividend or because I've already paid tax can I just ignore it??

17 minutes ago, dougal said:

I have to fill out a self assessment tax return. I currently have shares in the company that I work for. In one section it asks if I get any dividends from shares etc. Any dividend that I do get comes in my monthly pay so has already been taxed. With that being the case do I need to declare the dividend or because I've already paid tax can I just ignore it??

Better telling them, they should know you have been taxed on them.

8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Better telling them, they should know you have been taxed on them.

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Quite a few other sections where tax has already been paid need to be filled in including PAYE jobs. 

Thanks for the info. Will fill it in. Cheers.

Dividends have a tax free threshhold and a low basic rate and higher rates.    If you've been taxed on them through PAYE then you'll be paying full basic rate or higher rate on them.    Depending on your level of pay,   you may have overpaid and be due a refund.

Go on line and enter your Salary and dividend amount to calculate your liability .Can’t see how your employer can pay dividends and deduct tax through PAYE as they are different categories of Income and tax thresholds. There is a dedicated section on your self assessment return for dividend payments.

2018/19 Salary and Dividend Tax Calculator

dividend tax 18 19

Check your payslips and double check that the dividends are being taxed and not added to your pay after tax has been deducted.  

Another possibility is that your employer has been calling something dividends but HMRC enquiries have found it to really be in the nature of pay (there are some schemes designed to avoid NI but that would be extreme)

if These are really dividends and are being taxed as part of your pay then it’s just wrong.  

On 27/10/2019 at 08:39, dougal said:

If you're still unsure, call 0300 200 3310.

That's the SA helpline, they can deal with any queries about filing.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

If you're still unsure, call 0300 200 3310.

That's the SA helpline, they can deal with any queries about filing.

Cheers